Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Pretty sure it's against KS policy to back your own project, too. Not that I imagine this guy cares in the least. :shrug:

Yeah but no one ever cares or enforces that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If I had more time to follow this trainwreck it would be worth backing a dollar that I would 100% not actually have to pay.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Last hour and change for Battle for Biternia!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stonecirclegames/battle-for-biternia-the-battle-arena-board-game

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dream Pod 9 has a new Heavy Gear project up, making new minis for 3 additional forces to add to the Blitz game. The first project took some time to get done, but the resulting minis were technically and aesthetically excellent.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just got my Fragged PDFs from the most recent Kickstarter - all the old Fragged Empire stuff plus the three new games. Sounds like the physical books will be going to the printer soon.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

malkav11 posted:

Just got my Fragged PDFs from the most recent Kickstarter - all the old Fragged Empire stuff plus the three new games. Sounds like the physical books will be going to the printer soon.

To be specific on the timeframe, the emails I got said they're heading to the printer in 2 weeks.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

malkav11 posted:

Huh. No sign of any PDFs here yet...

e: No emails or anything but I checked DriveThru and the notifications for the PDFs were there. Woohoo!

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DigitalRaven posted:

Huh. No sign of any PDFs here yet...

e: No emails or anything but I checked DriveThru and the notifications for the PDFs were there. Woohoo!

The emails might have ended up getting marked as Spam, this happened to me. But yeah DTRPG does a weird notification thing as well now.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I got emails for everything except the core rule book pdf. Waiting a few days to see if that comes through before bothering Wade.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

I got emails for everything except the core rule book pdf. Waiting a few days to see if that comes through before bothering Wade.

I got two emails for that one. Weird.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

Check your messages on DriveThru. If the email got lost/filtered/whatever, it should still show up there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Also the core rulebook actually gave you an option to send it to someone else in backerkit, so you may have done that and forgotten about it if, like me, you already had a copy.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Anyone interested in odd little card games and good causes? Potlatch looks like an interesting game, it's cheap, and shipping is reasonably priced.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

Check your messages on DriveThru. If the email got lost/filtered/whatever, it should still show up there.

Got it now. Thanks.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Some of the One Shot RPG peeps are doing a thing with Invisible Sun game, and it looks ok? ihave confidence the players can make anything look good, but early access to seeing invisible sun played looks interesting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cassa posted:

Some of the One Shot RPG peeps are doing a thing with Invisible Sun game, and it looks ok? ihave confidence the players can make anything look good, but early access to seeing invisible sun played looks interesting.

Yeah, any game with a good crew of fun roleplayers is going to be a great thing regardless of if the system is good or not. As much as I love One Shot they are not exactly going to push the boundaries of what the system can do.

Which is honestly good because expecting a roleplaying game to be something other than what it is designed for is weird. Invisible Sun will have to be loving good for me to entertain the idea of buying it at that price point though.

The hand will never not be funny though.

Henker
May 5, 2009

DRAGON GOLD - WORLD MOGUL was cancelled. Instead of attempting to answer any questions about the game, the creator just kept posting the exact same message over and over.

quote:

"REFERENCE OUR STATEMENT: Since the December 2nd, 2017 kickstarter launch of the Dragon Gold Board Game, this entire experience has been very troublesome and unexpected.
As a result of efforts on this Kickstarter Platform to defame, slander and extensively harass our team by "so called $1 backers and so called super $1 backers" in an attempt to destroy our company and our game's reputation, we have advised our "serious Investors" to contact us through our private investment platform.
We have also requested that those investors and "serious" Kickstarter Backers truly supporting the Dragon Gold Board Game concept, withdraw their funds from Kickstarter and place them in our Private Fund Platform on our behalf, for the future development of the Dragon Gold Board Game.
NOTE3: No further discussions will be carried on by the Dragon Gold Board Game Team regarding any of the Comments on this Kickstarter Platform."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's this scandal about?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mostly? The game looked weird and kinda bad, and you had to pay 500 to get one copy.

And like 3000 to get 3, because math is hard.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Henker posted:

DRAGON GOLD - WORLD MOGUL was cancelled. Instead of attempting to answer any questions about the game, the creator just kept posting the exact same message over and over.
Literally Ron Paul vs. the Lizard Jew Banking Illuminati, but somehow less coherent.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Honestly I'd play a board game about the Lizard People Jew Banking Illuminati.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Henker posted:

Honestly I'd play a board game about the Lizard People Jew Banking Illuminati.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(game)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Covok posted:

What's this scandal about?

Guy tried to make a whales-only board game, got mocked for it, and now encourages them to give him money somewhere without Kickstarter's protections.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Guy tried to make a whales-only board game, got mocked for it, and now encourages them to give him money somewhere without Kickstarter's protections.

Not only that but he blatantly sockpuppeted in the comments section, blatantly tossed a thousand of his own dollars into the pledge to try and give it a boost, and according to one of the commenters some of the pictures in the 20 individual backers-only updates containing a page of the rulebook were stolen from other sources without any acknowledgement or permission. So at this point it's a straight 50-50 whether this is an example of the phenomenon where someone who has no earthly idea how Kickstarter, game design, or the internet work tries to start a ridiculous Kickstarter and flops, or the phenomenon where someone who has no earthly idea how Kickstarter, game design, or the internet work tries to start a scam and flops.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

Not only that but he blatantly sockpuppeted in the comments section, blatantly tossed a thousand of his own dollars into the pledge to try and give it a boost, and according to one of the commenters some of the pictures in the 20 individual backers-only updates containing a page of the rulebook were stolen from other sources without any acknowledgement or permission. So at this point it's a straight 50-50 whether this is an example of the phenomenon where someone who has no earthly idea how Kickstarter, game design, or the internet work tries to start a ridiculous Kickstarter and flops, or the phenomenon where someone who has no earthly idea how Kickstarter, game design, or the internet work tries to start a scam and flops.
There's something specific about boardgaming that really attracts kooks who are convinced they have a can't-miss zillion dollar smash blockbuster idea rattling around in their skulls, and I'm not sure what it is.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FMguru posted:

There's something specific about boardgaming that really attracts kooks who are convinced they have a can't-miss zillion dollar smash blockbuster idea rattling around in their skulls, and I'm not sure what it is.

Idea guys are in every industry/hobby/etc. But most things have a higher barrier to entry. Videogames require coding, your great idea for a perpetual motion machine requires rigging something together that at least moves on its own, and your new groundbreaking business requires a storefront or a bunch of paperwork.

If you're a boardgame ideas guy you have to know how to cut up and scribble on cardboard. Boom I just prototyped the next great tabletop game about fighting dragons with seven types of dice.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Idea guys are in every industry/hobby/etc. But most things have a higher barrier to entry. Videogames require coding, your great idea for a perpetual motion machine requires rigging something together that at least moves on its own, and your new groundbreaking business requires a storefront or a bunch of paperwork.

If you're a boardgame ideas guy you have to know how to cut up and scribble on cardboard. Boom I just prototyped the next great tabletop game about fighting dragons with seven types of dice.
Low barrier to entry is one reason. Another is a track record of shadetree DIY game designer/publishers hitting it rich, with Trivial Pursuit being the most famous. A strong Dunning-Kruger effect is at work, too - hey, I can play Monopoly and Chess and Risk, how hard can it be design these things? The rules are only a page and a half long.

And then there are the people who try to cash in on a passing pop culture thing, like this from eariler in the thread: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/116597536/build-the-wall-the-politically-incorrect-board-gam/description

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 12, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I still want this to be real life, though: https://politics.theonion.com/obama-sinks-family-savings-into-developing-presidential-1820303326

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

I get what you mean, there's definitely a certain style of crazy rambling Kickstarter with RANDOMLY CAPITALIZED WORDS that you see a lot in boardgames, it's more than just people who don't know what they're doing but something that gives off a definite vibe of detachment from reality.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think constructing a board game superficially feels easier because crafting a few tiny houses and putting art on a piece of cardboard appears easier than writing 100+ pages of text, even though the people dumb enough to slap together a ~politically incorrect~ board game over a month (if that) and then launch a wet fart of a Kickstarter never seem to fail to find the time to write 50k words about what they're doing anyway.

Maybe it has to do with direct, textual communication. People seem to view that as very daunting. It's easier to obfuscate the complexity and difficulty of explaining yourself and your ideas behind the metaphors of art direction and component fabrication, even though they tend to be really bad at those too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Boardgames that are just bullet-point lists of racist email forwards from your grandma is my favorite subgenre of failed boardgame kickstarter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FMguru posted:

It's really bizarre to think that board game design is your big ticket to riches.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Moon Monster posted:

It's really bizarre to think that board game design is your big ticket to riches.

Those idiot millennials will throw their piles of disposable income at anything

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Finally got my Dragon Empire KS! They put it in a surprisably small box (like, probably the same volume as a large tissue box small) for so many minis.

Now I have to clean them up &straighten them out - but then they're resin, so it's to be expected. Onto the to-do pile!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Not that bizarre, really. There have been some extremely profitable boardgames. I mean I don't know how much the Kingdom Death guy actually took home given that production costs on that are no doubt high, but even like 20% of 15+ million bucks would still be a shitload of cash. And it looks easy, from the outside.

The idea that whatever incoherent nonsense they're spewing will make that kind of money is pretty insane, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Not that bizarre, really. There have been some extremely profitable boardgames. I mean I don't know how much the Kingdom Death guy actually took home given that production costs on that are no doubt high, but even like 20% of 15+ million bucks would still be a shitload of cash. And it looks easy, from the outside.

The idea that whatever incoherent nonsense they're spewing will make that kind of money is pretty insane, though.

There are definitely success stories, but it's like looking at JK Rowling and saying "Woah, writers make bank". Except the Kingdom Death guy is the JK Rowling of boardgame kickstarters and his profits must be in the single digit millions at best.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There is a history of little homemade boardgame designs paying off big once in a while - Trivial Pursuit is the best modern example, but there's also things like Magic:the Gathering, original Dungeons & Dragons, and Monopoly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FMguru posted:

There is a history of little homemade boardgame designs paying off big once in a while - Trivial Pursuit is the best modern example, but there's also things like Magic:the Gathering, original Dungeons & Dragons, and Monopoly.

I think the Monopoly lady didn't get anything from it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Given the ease with which people make unlicensed knockoffs of Monopoly (the secret is that while Animal Monopoly is copyright infringement, Animal-opoly isn't), I wouldn't be especially surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the Monopoly lady didn't get anything from it

quote:

Early history

Elizabeth Magie's 1904 board design
The history of Monopoly can be traced back to 1903,[1][4] when American anti-monopolist Elizabeth Magie created a game through which she hoped to be able to explain the single tax theory of Henry George. It was intended as an educational tool to illustrate the negative aspects of concentrating land in private monopolies. Magie took out a patent in 1904. Her game, The Landlord's Game, was self-published, beginning in 1906.[5]

A series of variant board games based on her concept was developed from 1906 through the 1930s that involved both the process of buying land for its development, and also the sale of any undeveloped property. Cardboard houses were added and rents were increased as they were added. Magie again patented the game in 1923.[6]

According to an advertisement placed in The Christian Science Monitor, Charles Todd of Philadelphia recalled the day in 1932 when his childhood friend, Esther Jones, and her husband Charles Darrow came to their house for dinner. After the meal, the Todds introduced Darrow to The Landlord's Game, which they then played several times together. At that point the game was entirely new to Darrow, and he asked the Todds for a written set of the rules. After that night, Darrow went on to utilize this by distributing the game himself as Monopoly – an act for which the Todds refused to speak to Darrow ever again.[7]

After Darrow had excellent sales during the Christmas season of 1934, the Parker Brothers bought the game's copyrights from Darrow.[8] After finding Darrow was not the sole inventor of the game, Parker bought the rights to Magie's patent.[9]

Mors Rattus posted:

Given the ease with which people make unlicensed knockoffs of Monopoly (the secret is that while Animal Monopoly is copyright infringement, Animal-opoly isn't), I wouldn't be especially surprised.

quote:

Also in 2003, Hasbro sued the maker of Ghetto-opoly and won. In 2005, the company sued RADGames over their Super Add-On accessory board game that fit in the center of the board.

:shrug:

Also, this is cool:

quote:

In 1941, the British Secret Intelligence Service had John Waddington Ltd., the licensed manufacturer of the game in the United Kingdom, create a special edition for World War II prisoners of war held by the Nazis.[12] Hidden inside these games were maps, compasses, real money, and other objects useful for escaping. They were distributed to prisoners by British secret service-created fake charity groups.