Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gonz posted:

The end of the movie features a scene where a fathier stable boy who worked at Canto Bight from earlier in the film is getting berated by one of his alien bosses to help clean up the mess that Finn and Rose made. The alien leaves the screen and when nobody is looking, the kid uses the force to pull a broom to his hands, then holds the broom like a lightsaber and points it at the sky. Fanfare builds, then credits smash cut.

This is...dumb

And also a first for a Star War, I think--an aside like that. The only fully disconnected from the characters scene I can think of in all 7 movies the frog thing in RotJ eating the other animal thing and then burping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

No Mods No Masters posted:

TFA treats the lightsaber with blithe cloying reverence, TLJ blows the gently caress out of it in a big shitshow. I have my reservations obviously but I have to prefer the latter

i don't even remember anakin's lightsaber in TFA. is it next to the melted vader helmet or something?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is...dumb

And also a first for a Star War, I think--an aside like that. The only fully disconnected from the characters scene I can think of in all 7 movies the frog thing in RotJ eating the other animal thing and then burping

i want an entire star wars movie, filmed by malick, that's nothing but alien animal bug creatures meandering around and maybe eating each other

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The second best character in TFA after Snoke, Maz Kanata, gives it to Rey in an obnoxious faux-reverent faux-mythic passing the sword type scene, then she has a bunch of visions

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The second best character in TFA after Snoke, Maz Kanata, gives it to Rey in an obnoxious faux-reverent faux-mythic passing the sword type scene, then she has a bunch of visions

oh that one. i was thinking the red vader one this whole time. the only way last jedi could be better is if maz got killed too

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It always pissed me off that they never explained in the movies why this random rear end bar owner has Anakin's saber, or even knows its historical significance. She's just all "Don't worry about it!" to that mystery. Nevermind why Han chooses to go to the one bar in the galaxy with Just the mcguffin they need. Then TLJ goes "Don't worry about it!" to the rest of the questions in TFA. If it wasn't hilarious as gently caress I'd be mad that they made me waste energy thinking up theories and paying attention to the awful Nu EU.

That broom scene sounds bushleague and fan-movie as gently caress.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dishwasher posted:

It always pissed me off that they never explained in the movies why this random rear end bar owner has Anakin's saber, or even knows its historical significance. She's just all "Don't worry about it!" to that mystery. Nevermind why Han chooses to go to the one bar in the galaxy with Just the mcguffin they need. Then TLJ goes "Don't worry about it!" to the rest of the questions in TFA. If it wasn't hilarious as gently caress I'd be mad that they made me waste energy thinking up theories and paying attention to the awful Nu EU.

absolutely nothing about TFA makes any sense and TLJ throwing it in the trash is phenomenal because gently caress trying to figure out poo poo that is nonsense

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Any word on the opening crawl? I'm interested in how it'll look considering there's basically no time between this movie and TFA.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Craptacular! posted:

it’s also kind of neat because it sort of foreshadows what would have happened if Luke accepted Vader’s offer.

Not really; the conflict in Empire Strikes Back is literally God (incarnated as Christ), offering Luke salvation so that they can bring about the kingdom of heaven and defeat literally-existing Satan.

The dramatic power of ESB is that you have this massive mainstream film where there isn’t really any spectacular conflict. The hero has a mental breakdown, rejects Christ while bawling, and then tries (and fails) to commit suicide.

Now you have Rey, Snoke, Kyle, and... who cares? Snoke is a pretty transparent Trump analogue, but obviously not a villain on the level of Satan. And then Kyle is a Christian fundamentalist because he’s Jesus’... grandson? And Rey is implicitly going to start a new Jedi by leading an army of psychic mutants or something?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dishwasher posted:

this is my whole thing. it's not like I'm mad because I generally didn't give a gently caress about ~~the mysteries~~ or whatever, but it's incredibly weird to spend a whole movie setting up pins only to switch sports.

how on earth wasn't there a cohesive vision in place with threads that follow through the three movies?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It really can't be stated strongly enough how garbage maz kanata is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dishwasher posted:

It's this really weird thing where the original trilogy was a mix of classic fantasy, Flash Gordon, political and historical imagery, etc. where the Disney Trilogy is referencing... Star Wars. And you see this feedback loop into the story, where... all of the new major characters are Star Wars fans. Rey starts out collecting merch and then they find the Falcon and are flying around it but she knows all the parts and how to fix them, Han picks them up and has to tell them "it's true... all of it" to confirm Rey's headcanon. Kylo is a Darth Vader wannabe and it shows, and now this fuckin' broom kid... sheesh. It's trying so hard to be this sort of feelgood wish fulfillment pandering that it lacks any of the struggle of the OT. It's really fuckin' dark.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Waffles Inc. posted:

how on earth wasn't there a cohesive vision in place with threads that follow through the three movies?

Serious answer: Disney felt compelled to make good on their Star Wars investment by making the next big episodic installment as soon as possible, but nobody could think of a satisfying way to elaborate on the efforts of our heroes after ROTJ, so they settled for doing a paint-by-numbers flick with a bunch of mysterious hooks and hoped they’d come up with something good to do with them.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

mastershakeman posted:

absolutely nothing about TFA makes any sense and TLJ throwing it in the trash is phenomenal because gently caress trying to figure out poo poo that is nonsense

And once again, they forgot that there's three movies in a trilogy and they shouldn't waste the first one on skippable bullshit like with TPM. It's like they rebooted the reboot. I wouldn't mind a fourth movie at this rate just to make up for it and make it an even X. Thing is, if they basically threw TFA in the trash (where it belongs tbh) why bring back JJ for the finale? So he can include more bullshit that'll be answered in the **Sequel-Sequel Trilogy**? Are they going to just throw the whole trilogy in the trash and count the billions? Hilarious and Disney as gently caress, tbh.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffles Inc. posted:

Because they have a fuckin' corporate "story group" https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-wars-celebration-lucasfilm-story-group/

quote:

In this new era of corporate storytelling, Marvel Studios is seen as the gold standard for multi-franchise entertainment. Yet at Star Wars Celebration this year, I came to realize that someone else was quietly outstripping them from behind the scenes: the Lucasfilm Story Group, another Disney offshoot.

Most Star Wars viewers are at least vaguely aware of the creative minds behind the new movies: J.J. Abrams, screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt, upcoming directors Gareth Edwards (Rogue One) and Rian Johnson (Episode VIII), and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. Like any Hollywood production, they’re backed up by an army of execs and technicians, but unlike the typical view of blockbuster filmmaking, the idea of studio “interference” isn’t necessarily perceived as a negative.

You often hear people comparing the Lucasfilm Story Group to the Jedi Council, the keepers of sacred knowledge. Formed by Kathleen Kennedy in 2012, the Story Group’s job is to make sure every aspect of Star Wars canon remains aligned, from major plot twists to obscure factoids about planets that never appear onscreen. Some story arcs are planned years in advance, and the Story Group work with writers and filmmakers to develop new ideas for the franchise. Rogue One was actually pitched to them by Industrial Light and Magic’s Chief Creative Officer John Knoll, his first story credit after decades of work in visual effects.

Welcome to the future of filmmaking and boy does it suck.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 12, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jeremy Jahns (dedicated fanboy) really likes it, but there are some issues. Spoiler-free review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4WBB8gAwTE&t=191s

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

now that every mystery in force awakens has been answered with stavros going 'whatever man this shits boring who cares' we can say:

how did the first order rebuild so easily? whatever man this shits boring who cares
how did it build a super deathstar, lose it, and that not matter? whatever man this shits boring who cares
how did the new republic fail nearly instantly despite Mon Mothma and Leia being the Best Politicians Ever? whatever man this shits boring who cares
how does rey have super strong powers and not need training? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why was max von sydow in the desert with a map to luke? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why did a stupid short bartender have luke's old lightsaber? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why does rey have visions ? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why is the falcon parked next to rey? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why are han/chewie looking for their old junk spaceship? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why were han and leia such lovely parents? whatever man this shits boring who cares
who is snoke and how is he in charge? whatever man this shits boring who cares
what does snoke want? whatever man this shits boring who cares
what does the first order want? whatever man this shits boring who cares
what does kylo want? whatever man this shits boring who cares
what does hux want? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why is phasma even in the movies? whatever man this shits boring who cares
why was r2 told to stay powered down until han was confirmed dead? whatever man this shits boring who cares

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 12, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Waffles Inc. posted:

this is my whole thing. it's not like I'm mad because I generally didn't give a gently caress about ~~the mysteries~~ or whatever, but it's incredibly weird to spend a whole movie setting up pins only to switch sports.

I imagine they were really concerned about getting a return on investment as fast as possible--they knew buying Star Wars was almost certainly going to be profitable, but still, 4 billion dollars is a lot of money in the hole even for Disney. That's probably why there was no grand vision. Well that and you don't necessarily need one to make money. I mean, why a trilogy? Why not 2 movies, or 4?

As for why they couldn't at least have gotten one director for all three, that's probably a power issue. If the first one's a big hit (big for Star Wars I guess) suddenly you have someone with a lot of pull you can't easily fire.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

"Once The Last Jedi kicks into its final act, the film’s somewhat saggy middle is forgotten and forgiven. The final hour or so of the film is filled with truly intense and shocking moments—all while Johnson also finds time to examine more complex things that Star Wars has never dealt with before, like celebrity, war profiteering, and the importance of letting go of the past."

?????????

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Taintrunner posted:

It's this really weird thing where the original trilogy was a mix of classic fantasy, Flash Gordon, political and historical imagery, etc. where the Disney Trilogy is referencing... Star Wars. And you see this feedback loop into the story, where... all of the new major characters are Star Wars fans. Rey starts out collecting merch and then they find the Falcon and are flying around it but she knows all the parts and how to fix them, Han picks them up and has to tell them "it's true... all of it" to confirm Rey's headcanon. Kylo is a Darth Vader wannabe and it shows, and now this fuckin' broom kid... sheesh. It's trying so hard to be this sort of feelgood wish fulfillment pandering that it lacks any of the struggle of the OT. It's really fuckin' dark.

Also the hero from the OT became a lonely shut-in after he wouldn't kill baby-Hitler. Yea it sounds cynical as gently caress and I hope it lives up to these plot leaks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

now that every mystery in force awakens has been answered with stavros going 'whatever man this shits boring who cares' we can say:

It's really fuckin' crazy how their obsession with canon has made all of their narratives entirely toothless and going nowhere. Like say what you will about Hideo Kojima but he managed to get one straight storyline told across 28 years of games by being willing to give up the canon here and there in order to serve the individual narratives of the games, and if you're invested in it like I've been, the final bit of MGSV where he slams the fuckin' Operation 1313 tape into the MSX is a huge payoff to end the series on, wrapping everything back around to the beginning.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Honestly the reason I think why so many are annoyed about Snoke is because they got way too invested with their ideas that hew was an ancient super evil that tied back to the era of the Old Republic. Or Darth Plageuis, or whatever.

I am actually super pleased he's going to die - Snoke is the last 'Sith', Luke is last 'Jedi' - the new generation have a chance to do something entirely new and maybe not call themselves Jedi or Sith anymore.
But then again it is Disney, so I'm sure by ep.9 there'' be a new Jedi temple and the Knights of Ren will be new Sith or something.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
From the looks of it, Disney is setting up the stage to milk this franchise for the next 20 years, same as they did with Marvel.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Averrences posted:

Honestly the reason I think why so many are annoyed about Snoke is because they got way too invested with their ideas that hew was an ancient super evil that tied back to the era of the Old Republic. Or Darth Plageuis, or whatever.

I am actually super pleased he's going to die - Snoke is the last 'Sith', Luke is last 'Jedi' - the new generation have a chance to do something entirely new and maybe not call themselves Jedi or Sith anymore.
But then again it is Disney, so I'm sure by ep.9 there'' be a new Jedi temple and the Knights of Ren will be new Sith or something.

Is snoke even a sith though? His character is so totally vacuous that I'm not even sure they gave us that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Is snoke even a sith though? His character is so totally vacuous that I'm not even sure they gave us that

nope, and who gives a poo poo if a bad guy is a sith vs not a sith. what does it matter

Beeez
May 28, 2012
In what way is Rey doing anything different or unique or forging her own path/identity? Like, I know I can't judge it completely until seeing it in it's entirety and in context, but she just sounds like "Luke/Anakin but better", really. Her arc in this movie even sounds like Luke's in Empire, except whereas Luke was told he wasn't ready to face Vader and his going to Cloud City didn't make much of a positive difference for his friends or the Rebellion, Yoda says Rey is ready even though she's been aware of the Force for a week at most, and her going to confront Kylo actually does contribute to things in a positive way. I don't understand what's compelling or unique about that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Beeez posted:

In what way is Rey doing anything different or unique or forging her own path/identity? Like, I know I can't judge it completely until seeing it in it's entirety and in context, but she just sounds like "Luke/Anakin but better", really. Her arc in this movie even sounds like Luke's in Empire, except whereas Luke was told he wasn't ready to face Vader and his going to Cloud City didn't make much of a positive difference for his friends or the Rebellion, Yoda says Rey is ready even though she's been aware of the Force for a week at most, and her going to confront Kylo actually does contribute to things in a positive way. I don't understand what's compelling or unique about that.

this movie isn't about rey, its about kylo. rey is just a mary sue so w/e

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Utterly pointless character.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Killing Snoke is good, but to be really good the movie needs to kill Rey, the other most boring character.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I legitimately forgot she even existed. What a waste of Lupita.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
We need a reboot of The Force Awakens.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

porfiria posted:

We need a reboot of The Force Awakens.

We have one and apparently it's called The Last Jedi.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Luke's a porg CONFIRMED

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Danger posted:

We have one and apparently it's called The Last Jedi.

Honestly it sounds lame. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The reason people are upset about Snoke comes down to two reasons, probably.

1. Repeated talk that the new EU is part of a cohesive whole with more planning and oversight than the old EU. Includes ideas like the talk of Rian Johnson telling authors to put things in the novels.

2. Those aforementioned novels hyping Snoke up as this big bad Dark Side source from the Outer Rim/outside the galaxy that even Palaptine was wary of.

Then the movie comes around and nothing is answered and Snoke just dies. It isn't so much about that as much as it is fans realising they've been duped by a corporate machine.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think you need EU exposure to be upset about Snoke.

I think killing Snoke so unceremoniously is dumb. As an audience member watching TFA I want to know more about the mysterious deformed man that makes himself huge via projection and is obsessed with finding Luke Skywalker. It's not some clever twist, it's just a bait and switch. Snoke could've easily been replaced with some random former Imperial officer and Kylo Ren could've trained himself.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I didn't see until now that phasma also dies. RIP to another great character of the force awakens, famous film of great characters

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't see until now that phasma also dies. RIP to another great character of the force awakens, famous film of great characters

TFA makes her a literal dumpster joke. TLJ apparently just has her lose to Finn and then fall of a space cliff.

You can't have your heroes kill someone! That might make Finn the maybe-Storm Trooper maybe-Janitor character interesting!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

its cool that she could've just died on starkiller base and everyone would've forgotten her but nope, time to come back and continue to do nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A plot outline with a bit more detail.

• Locked thread