Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Don't resort to Craigslist for anything you sleep on or with.
This person is in no position to provide that constraint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Hoodwinker posted:

This person is in no position to provide that constraint.

Even if they were deathly afraid of bed bugs, or completely unable to transport a couch, they could still just grab a few junky wooden chairs to sit on for free. Or just keep renting a couch for $200 a month. You know, if this were an actual real person.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

All this horse talk reminded me of my former colleague. In high school, she raised and trained show horses as a hobby in southern Illinois. I think she had a stable of four to six horses. When she went to pharmacy school, she sold off four of them to pay her way through school. Ended up with half the debt load of the average student.

I asked her why she was so quick to sell off presumedly cherished horses. "They're work animals. They either work for me or I sell them to someone who makes them work." I naively asked who would pay such a price for a show horse. She looked me in the eye. "Never underestimate girls and horses."

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

DTaeKim posted:

All this horse talk reminded me of my former colleague. In high school, she raised and trained show horses as a hobby in southern Illinois. I think she had a stable of four to six horses. When she went to pharmacy school, she sold off four of them to pay her way through school. Ended up with half the debt load of the average student.

I asked her why she was so quick to sell off presumedly cherished horses. "They're work animals. They either work for me or I sell them to someone who makes them work." I naively asked who would pay such a price for a show horse. She looked me in the eye. "Never underestimate girls and horses."

The answer to "If it wasn't for my horse I wouldn't have spent that year in college".

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Uterine Lineup posted:

The answer to "If it wasn't for my horse I wouldn't have spent that year in college".

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I think it's Lisa Frank's fault. Those girls got too many unicorns and dolphins growing up.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

April posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7iz13z/didnt_even_realize_i_was_digging_a_huge_hole/?st=jb2tzthb&sh=621f8599

Of course, the OP is offered some very simple, obvious advice, but:

Really, the whole thread is a giant litany of excuses. "I have soooooo much debt, how can I get rid of it without getting rid of anything or earning any more money or making any changes whatsoever???"

loving lol that this 17 year old has a job that pays literally twice as much per hour than the shameful 21 year old with 23 grand in debt.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

loving lol that this 17 year old has a job that pays literally twice as much per hour than the shameful 21 year old with 23 grand in debt.

She makes $20/hour working in a horse barn. I guarantee it's a family friend overpaying her, because no one pays 17 year-olds $20 for any kind of work unless their name is Roy Moore.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Inept posted:

She makes $20/hour working in a horse barn. I guarantee it's a family friend overpaying her, because no one pays 17 year-olds $20 for any kind of work unless their name is Roy Moore.

:ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
MLMs are a perennial favorite BWM topic.
I just discovered the anti-MLM subreddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/antiMLM/

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiMLM/comments/7bh4on/my_homeless_jobless_single_mother_sister_got/
My (homeless, jobless, single mother) sister got sucked into Younique (self.antiMLM)
submitted 1 month ago by claragula

quote:

I cannot fathom the depravity of the woman who sold my sister her kit/the dream of Owning Her Own Business. She was a volunteer at the women’s shelter where my sister was staying and gave her a load of BS about how she could kickstart her life by selling Younique. My mom and I are in the process of trying to help my sister get her finances back together. The amount of stuff she has charged to her credit card for Younique is just disgusting. It took her a month to realize she’d been had, but not before making $500+ in purchases. She believed it was like “building inventory for a store”. How many people purchased from her? Two. Two people in one month. Those two people? They ALSO lived in the same women’s shelter with my sister.
These MLMs are downright predatory. Now whenever I see someone on my fbook feed promoting their “business” with an MLM I post something about how I disagree with/cannot support the model. I find it unconscionable not to say something.
Anyone else have a vulnerable friend/SO/family member who got caught up in something like this?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Namaste.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/12/12/bitcoin-price-mortgage-homes-investment/

People are taking out mortgages on their homes to speculate on bitcoin. This will end well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's absolutely beautiful.

edit:
Take out a HELOC and use the record low mortgage rates to supercharge your bitcoin positions!

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 13, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You know when people said we were headed for another recession, I never imagined it would be triggered by dumb fake garbage money.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

You know when people said we were headed for another recession, I never imagined it would be triggered by dumb fake garbage money.

That’s how it happened before, why not repeat?

I’m all in for mortgage-backed bitcoin credit default swaps as an investment vehicle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Depending on how long before the crash, I might be able to get in on a foreclosure in a market where I would otherwise never have a chance of buying.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Hoodwinker posted:

The Bit Short

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moneyball posted:

The Bit Short

I'm somewhere between :discourse: and :perfect: and :vince:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

I'm somewhere between :discourse: and :perfect: and :vince:

I concur.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

The Bit Short

Not an empty quote

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7je5ot/my_debt_situation_is_killing_my_girlfriend_and_i/

quote:

Hi, sorry for the long post but I'm gonna try to give you guys all the information you need. I live in Florida and my girlfriend and I are both 22/23 and are way in over our heads. Neither of our families want to help us, so that's out of the question.

I have a lot of credit card debt and I need help. I'm at my wit's end and feel like giving up and filing bankruptcy. My girlfriend is also going insane and even our relationship has taken a toll because of the stress level we are in. I will list all my debt below, so you guys can see what my situation is exactly.

CC 1: Balance; $5,937 APR; 25.90% Limit; $6,000 Company; Capital One Minimum payment; $188

CC 2: Balance; $4,355 APR; 23.90% Limit; $4,500 Company; Capital One Minimum payment; $138

CC 3: Balance; $1,683 APR; 27.99% Limit; $2,000 Company; Barclays Minimum payment; $58

CC 4: Balance; $948 APR; 0% Limit; $1,000 Company; Citibank Minimum payment; $25

CC 5: Balance; $731 APR; 18.99% Limit; $750 Company; Discover Minimum payment; $35

CC 6: Balance; $1,200 APR; 0% Company; Synchrony Bank Minimum payment; $75

CC 7: Balance; $1,022 APR; 0% Company; Synchrony Bank Minimum payment; $20

CC 8: Balance; $1,277 APR; 0% Company; Synchrony Bank Minimum payment; $54

CC 9: Balance; $0 APR; 18.99% Limit; $4,300 Company; Chase Bank

CC 10: Balance; $0 APR; ?? Limit; ?? Company; Macy's (I never use this one)

Personal Loan: Balance; $4,837 APR; 17.51% Company; Upstart Original loan amount; $6,000 Minimum payment; $215

Auto loan: Balance; $44,062 APR; 12.24% Company; Ally Bank Term; 75 months Minimum payment; $852

Verizon cellphone bill: $250 a month

Auto insurance: $250 a month

Netflix, Hulu and other small expenses: $50 a month

Monthly gas expense: $0, have an all electric vehicle.

Total monthly income: $3,500

My girlfriend and I both have self-employed jobs and we have a joint bank account. Our total income together is around $3,500 a month.

I should mention the vehicle I purchased is an all electric car, so I will be receiving a tax credit of $7,500 in my taxes in January, plus whatever other refund I get which should help.

I should also mention that I left the apartment I was renting and moved in with my girlfriend to save money but I broke a lease and am required to pay a total of $2,700 in lease fee, broken into three payment of $950 for the next three months.

At this point, we just need someone to tell us if this situation is even salvable or if we should declare bankruptcy now.

If we can salvage it, please tell us how. We have tried every financial plan on Earth but for some reason we can't seem to make this debt go down.

If you guys think it is hopeless, what are the steps we need to take? Stop paying everything? File bankruptcy?

Thank you for taking the time to read all this and helping us. If you have any questions or I missed anything, I'll be responding to everyone.

Edit: For everyone asking about rent and utility expenses, we have $0. We live with girlfriend's mother, who doesn't charge us anything.

Edit 2: For everyone asking about combined income, my girlfriend's income is going completely to my debt, she is dedicating it to my bills, that's why I listed combined income.

Edit 3: For food, our expenses are about $200 a month if you count fast food or groceries.

Edit 4: My car is a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier which the KBB value is $31k and I owe $44k. I don't think I can sell it cause I'd be underwater $13k

BWM: Taking out a $44,000 loan at 12% to get a $7,500 tax credit.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Buying a car worth more than your entire yearly gross income combined, yowza. How did he even get approved for that loan? Even though he's underwater, he's probably still best trying to sell it and get something cheaper used, but that is tough.

Had a lot of coworkers talking about bitcoin yesterday, so that was fun. Had someone mention that a guy they know thinks he will have enough money for even his great grandkids. I hope he sells now before he gets stuck with worthless funny money. What do I know though, this thing might hit $25k.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BWM: A whole lot of people posting advice in that thread who think a $7500 tax credit means that the government simply writes you a check for $7500.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Neither of our families want to help us

quote:

For everyone asking about rent and utility expenses, we have $0. We live with girlfriend's mother, who doesn't charge us anything.
lol

edit: oh my god, from a comment there

quote:

Edit: Looking through your post history... you literally said 3 months ago... "I tried explaining to her [your girlfriend] that she should only buy things she can afford instead of taking out a loan to buy something before she has the money for it".

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

That's the stuff

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ahahaha in the comments he says he drives for Uber and was spending $500 a month on gas with his Chevy Cruz, and his girlfriend's Mom's electricity is free, so he's obviously good with money there.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Buys brand new electric vehicle at 12%, takes a 5 figure depreciation hit off the bat, shits up his resale value even more by using it for Uber.

The only way it could be better is if he used one of his credit cards to buy a horse trailer to tow behind it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

Buys brand new electric vehicle at 12%, takes a 5 figure depreciation hit off the bat, shits up his resale value even more by using it for Uber.

The only way it could be better is if he used one of his credit cards to buy a horse trailer to tow behind it.

It's extra funny because he installed a charger in girlfriend's mom's house where he's living rent free. They can't afford rent anyway, but if they break up or if mom kicks them out, I doubt the place he goes next has access to a charger. Housing for people earning a combined $42k usually does not have such amenities.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A month ago he was giving someone advice on buying an electric car:

quote:

How many miles do you drive a day? Neither of those two cars you mentioned offer much range, so it really depends on how much you drive.
I would recommend the Chevy Bolt simply because it offers a great range (200+ miles) and it's an all-around great car. You can find really cheap ones for under 30k so it's definitely worth a look.

quote:

Trust me, I know how you feel. I wasn't a big fan of the exterior of the Bolt either but when you compare all the features, it wins hands down. It's like an affordable Tesla, plus the quick charge really helps. It ultimately depends on you though, I know the Bolt is more expensive but you get the 7,500 tax credit if you buy before December 31st!

So...how did he end up spending $44k if he could find ones under 30k? :confused:

It sounds like car companies are deliberately preying on common misconceptions of how tax credits work though if they're pushing the "get a $7,500 tax credit if you buy before December 31!" angle

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Enfys posted:

A month ago he was giving someone advice on buying an electric car:

So...how did he end up spending $44k if he could find ones under 30k? :confused:

It sounds like car companies are deliberately preying on common misconceptions of how tax credits work though if they're pushing the "get a $7,500 tax credit if you buy before December 31!" angle

:monocle:

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

It's even better. When asked whether his stated income was net or gross

quote:

Gross, since we have to report it on our taxes in January. Our jobs don't take away taxes.

We owe phones on Verizon that are financed, we can't afford to leave as they'd charge us the $900 per phone that we owe.

I can get rid of Netflix and all that, yes.

We don't have any rent or utility payments, we live with girlfriend's mom.

The car's value is $13k under what we owe for it. I don't think I can get rid of it.

Thanks for responding.
This dumb motherfucker doesn't have any paid taxes to return, lmao. His girlfriend will likely have a nice tax bill coming, though. He'll probably get hit with penalties for not paying taxes quarterly as an independent contractor (i.e. Uber slave)

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 13, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh man, he has been hanging on to the idea that the government is going to pay him $7k in January and not only is he not getting it, he'll have to actually pay his missing taxes plus penalties. This guy is so hosed.

I feel bad for the girlfriend here, who has apparently been throwing her income into trying to dig out his mess while also giving him a place to live and charge his millstone of a car. Fortunately her situation is much easier to solve.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How do people even manage to spend $250/mo on a cell phone bill these days? Cricket/Boost/etc pre-paid MVNO plans can be had for $50/mo unlimited everything. Even having a contract with a carrier with multiple lines, leasing phone(s), etc how the gently caress can you spend $3k/year on cell phones?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sirotan posted:

How do people even manage to spend $250/mo on a cell phone bill these days? Cricket/Boost/etc pre-paid MVNO plans can be had for $50/mo unlimited everything. Even having a contract with a carrier with multiple lines, leasing phone(s), etc how the gently caress can you spend $3k/year on cell phones?

They financed new iPhones

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

"We have tried every financial plan on Earth but for some reason we can't seem to make this debt go down."

Maybe he hasn't considered the financial plan of "spend less than you earn"? That one seems to work for most people.

edit - Holy poo poo, he thinks an $850 car payment is "saving" money

Q: Why the gently caress did you buy a 45k car ONE MONTH AGO when you were already tens of thousands of dollars in high interest credit card debt?

A:
Well, the car before this was $450 a month and about $500 in gas every month because I Uber a lot to make money, so my math was that I would be saving about $100 or so with the elimination of the gas expense.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 13, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Enfys posted:

They financed new iPhones

I am still struggling to see how they are managing to pay Verizon $250/mo. Their site says $41.66/mo with $0 down over 24 months if you have great credit, or $24.99/mo with $400 down if you have poo poo credit. 0% APR too. Guessing they didn't have the cash to pay the $800 combined downpayment, that still doesn't account for $167/mo.

I mean unless I ask them I'll probably never know what plan they have, it just blows my mind to know people are paying that much money in 2017 for cell service.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm looking forward to their wedding.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Sirotan posted:

I am still struggling to see how they are managing to pay Verizon $250/mo. Their site says $41.66/mo with $0 down over 24 months if you have great credit, or $24.99/mo with $400 down if you have poo poo credit. 0% APR too. Guessing they didn't have the cash to pay the $800 combined downpayment, that still doesn't account for $167/mo.

I mean unless I ask them I'll probably never know what plan they have, it just blows my mind to know people are paying that much money in 2017 for cell service.

Who says they've finished paying off their old iPhones before adding the new ones lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
On a positive note, he can write off those phones as a business expense since he needs them to Uber.

I am not a tax professional and my advice should not be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rolling negative equity forward should be illegal it's just too predatory. I bet you they lease their furniture too