Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

Amazing to organise that at three days notice, especially in these times.
He has been a close friend (if not family) to most big figures in the parisian show business since the late 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toplowtech posted:

He has been a close friend (if not family) to most big figures in the parisian show business since the late 50s.

Oh yeah getting people to show up is the easy part but the logistics and security still have to be put in place. I’d imagine the cops were happy to get some easy overtime mind you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toplowtech posted:

So when do the sexual assault stories start coming out?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Considering France's general progressiveness re: gender, in 15 to 20 years approx.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So when do the sexual assault stories start coming out?
A long time ago, already?
His third and fourth wife (the same woman), Adeline accused him of rape during a barely related procedure for defamation, they allegedly had sex when she was a minor (she was 14 and him 40). Like "oh by the way, it was rape, mister judge". Of course there was prescription and it was after her second divorce with him and he was the one suing her, so take it as you will.
One of his ex-employee accused him of raping her on his yacht in 2001.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 9, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toplowtech posted:

A long time ago, already?
His third and fourth wife (the same woman), Adeline accused him of rape during a barely related procedure for defamation, they allegedly had sex when she was a minor (she was 14 and him 40). Like "oh by the way, it was rape, mister judge". Of course there was prescription and it was after her second divorce with him and he was the one suing her, so take it as you will.
One of his ex-employee accused him of raping her on his yacht in 2001.

Eugh.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

He was horribly trash in the 80s-90s until his 5th marriage with his 4th wife* who manage to reduce some really trailer trash behavior.
*She was 40 years younger so maybe i should say his father in law managed to calm him.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 9, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Wow, sounds like he took the Elvis thing a bit too seriously...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was reading up on the artist formerly known as Jean-Phillipe Léo Smet on Wikipedia, and I was not at all surprised to hear that he moved to Switzerland years ago to avoid paying taxes in France. I just love people who are so grossly overprivileged that they can be taxed at a very high percentage and still be rich as gently caress, but go to the trouble of fleeing to another country to avoid showing any social responsibility with their excessive wealth. For more information about this phenomenon, see also Gérard Depardieu.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I hear a lot of talk about rising antisemitism and Jewish emigration from France, but a lot of that is filtered through English speaking media without much direct connection to France, and frankly it often seems like mostly trying to drum up fear about Muslims.

Asking the people who actually live in the country, what is the situation like for Jewish people there now, and for the foreseeable future?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

I hear a lot of talk about rising antisemitism and Jewish emigration from France, but a lot of that is filtered through English speaking media without much direct connection to France, and frankly it often seems like mostly trying to drum up fear about Muslims.

Asking the people who actually live in the country, what is the situation like for Jewish people there now, and for the foreseeable future?

Israel is not necessarily the only place they would be emigrating to, but here's the Ministry of Aliyah and Integration data of Jewish immigrants from France for the range of years it was possible to get the data for it:

2005 - 2,948
2006 - 2,801
2007 - 2,715
2008 - 1,867
2009 - 1,846
2010 - 1,985
2011 - 1,916
2012 - 1,923
2013 - 3,262
2014 - 6,658
2015 - 7,469
2016 - 4,676
2017 - 1,211 (first half of year)

Keep in mind that Israel is notoriously bad at keeping records of people who started the process and discontinued it, or returned shortly after immigrating, which happens quite a bit.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I was reading up on the artist formerly known as Jean-Phillipe Léo Smet on Wikipedia, and I was not at all surprised to hear that he moved to Switzerland years ago to avoid paying taxes in France. I just love people who are so grossly overprivileged that they can be taxed at a very high percentage and still be rich as gently caress, but go to the trouble of fleeing to another country to avoid showing any social responsibility with their excessive wealth. For more information about this phenomenon, see also Gérard Depardieu.
You may want to read about french singer Florent Pagny. Some thieves stole his Porsche a few months back, my first reaction was to ask if they took his "liberty to think" too.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

Young lower class muslims are alarmingly antisemitic and are responsible for the bulk of the violent attacks against Jews, while actions motivated by far right ideology are an increasingly irrelevant source of concern.

Anti-zionism is the fresh concept leftists and muslim antisemites are bonding over.

Walking with a kippa in some places is a really had idea.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

Young lower class muslims are alarmingly antisemitic and are responsible for the bulk of the violent attacks against Jews, while actions motivated by far right ideology are an increasingly irrelevant source of concern.
Actually the "classical" French antisemitic far right is jerking off on how much attention&money they are getting selling their usual antisemitic theories to the Muslim population. They are quite happy their ideas are promoted by a group they despite. It's the triumph of their ideas, except they aren't getting the blame, people they hate are. See: Dieudonné.
But yeah, you are right, they won't be the one attacking you, just the one fanning the flame.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 10, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israel is not necessarily the only place they would be emigrating to, but here's the Ministry of Aliyah and Integration data of Jewish immigrants from France for the range of years it was possible to get the data for it:

2005 - 2,948
2006 - 2,801
2007 - 2,715
2008 - 1,867
2009 - 1,846
2010 - 1,985
2011 - 1,916
2012 - 1,923
2013 - 3,262
2014 - 6,658
2015 - 7,469
2016 - 4,676
2017 - 1,211 (first half of year)

Keep in mind that Israel is notoriously bad at keeping records of people who started the process and discontinued it, or returned shortly after immigrating, which happens quite a bit.

Seems a bit erratic.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I'm Jewish, and the only two clearly antisemitic aggressions I've ever been a victim of were from skinhead types. Obviously I don't go waving a menorah around in the ghetto but claiming that far right anti-Semitism is non-existent seems a bit odd to me.

As a guy who's not too keen on the whole Israel thing, I'm also not so sure about where I fit in in the not-at-all-farcical islamo-gauchiste conspiracy

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

otoh it was not young lower class muslims that got 35% of the votes in the latest presidential election

Anti-zionism is the fresh concept leftists and muslim antisemites are bonding over.
This is about as honest as François Lenglet telling Mélenchon that he and Marine Le Pen have a lot in common such as their hatred of Europe or of posted workers

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

lost in postation posted:

I'm Jewish, and the only two clearly antisemitic aggressions I've ever been a victim of were from skinhead types. Obviously I don't go waving a menorah around in the ghetto but claiming that far right anti-Semitism is non-existent seems a bit odd to me.

As a guy who's not too keen on the whole Israel thing, I'm also not so sure about where I fit in in the not-at-all-farcical islamo-gauchiste conspiracy

I'm also a Jew, and I basically just didn't talk about when I lived in France, and since I legally used my mother's last name there, which is very gentile, it didn't give me away. I'm uninformed and neutral/apathetic about Israel as well. I actually had a fellow TA in grad school here in the US who once asked me in a very quiet voice where she could go for the end of the Yom Kippur fast, which I do observe, and I directed her to Hillel on campus. She asked me in private in a very hushed and tremulous voice about it because she knew I was a fellow Jew, and it was a big wake up call to me that anti-Jewish sentiment is alive and well in la belle république. Here last name is Cahen, derived from the common Jewish surname Cohen, so she's a lot more "marked" than I am.

I preferred to say "anti-Jewish" above rather than "anti-Semitic" because the latter technically includes Muslims as well, who do indeed have it rough in modern France, but I wanted to focus on just the one cultural/religious group.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually had a fellow TA in grad school here in the US who once asked me in a very quiet voice where she could go for the end of the Yom Kippur fast, which I do observe, and I directed her to Hillel on campus. She asked me in private in a very hushed and tremulous voice about it because she knew I was a fellow Jew, and it was a big wake up call to me that anti-Jewish sentiment is alive and well in la belle république.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Since you say "here in the US" and I assume the reference to "Hillel on campus" is about this organization that doesn't seem active in France it seems you're talking about something that happened in America.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Today in idiotic dogwhistles: "People from Seine-Saint Denis didn't turn up to Johnny's funeral!" (guess the implied skin colors). Started by that shitlord Finkielkraut, because of course.

https://twitter.com/leLab_E1/status/940146643013439488

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Est-ce que Bernardino Regazzoni était là ? Posons les vraies questions.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Plutôt malvenu de pointer du doigt une population qui rend régulièrement un hommage très littéral à l'oeuvre de Johnny

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

Today in idiotic dogwhistles: "People from Seine-Saint Denis didn't turn up to Johnny's funeral!" (guess the implied skin colors). Started by that shitlord Finkielkraut, because of course.

https://twitter.com/leLab_E1/status/940146643013439488

Im from seine st denis and didnt give a poo poo about his funeral either

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kurtofan posted:

Im from seine st denis and didnt give a poo poo about his funeral either

Do you fail the paper bag test?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Je suis blanc comme une merde de laitier.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Plutôt malvenu de pointer du doigt une population qui rend régulièrement un hommage très littéral à l'oeuvre de Johnny

Don't poo poo up my thread with racist bullshit.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/Europe1/status/940107595733520384

Blanquer has been on a roll lately: a dictation exercise every day, a full ban on cell phones and now compulsory choir lessons in primary schools by 2019. Free choice of songs except for two: La Marseillaise and Ode to Joy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

As if they're going to hire more music teachers.

With any luck Brexit will allow the English curriculum to slip by unnoticed. It's changed plenty it seems in the past few years but it still seems pretty open-ended for the time being. As long as it doesn't become one of the principle subjects then I think it'll be ok.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I forgot to mention the "unité laïcité" thing.

quote:

Parallèlement, le ministère va nommer « dans les jours qui viennent » un « conseil des sages », composé de plusieurs personnalités. Il sera chargé de la « création d'un corps de doctrine » pour homogénéiser les réponses des enseignants en cas de problème, selon le ministre.

Nobody expects the secular inquisition.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kassad posted:

Blanquer has been on a roll lately: a dictation exercise every day, a full ban on cell phones and now compulsory choir lessons in primary schools by 2019. Free choice of songs except for two: La Marseillaise and Ode to Joy.

:wtc: what pre war shithole did those ideas come out of

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
He's also in favor of letting schools bring back uniforms if they want.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

I forgot to mention the "unité laïcité" thing.

Nobody expects the secular inquisition.

A step in the correct direction the rapport Obin hints at.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It should be said that the rapport Obin points out (correctly in my opinion) that the emergence of non-traditional radical religious mores is the result of long-standing social trends and that integrating the more alienated pupils would require more ambitious solutions than loving 1940s uniforms and Les Choristes LARPing

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

lost in postation posted:

It should be said that the rapport Obin points out (correctly in my opinion) that the emergence of non-traditional radical religious mores is the result of long-standing social trends and that integrating the more alienated pupils would require more ambitious solutions than loving 1940s uniforms and Les Choristes LARPing

"Solving these issues would take some ambitious programs instead of half-assed bullshit" is pretty much the tragedy of the past 30? 40? years in France.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Honestly, the only solution with demonstrable results in combating low educational efficacy, school violence, ideological radicalisation, etc. is integrated schools but gently caress if anybody will agree to poor kids being bussed into good schools

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kassad posted:

I'm kinda glad I'm not an instit anymore, I hate dictation with a burning passion and I'm an awful singer.

e: Also, the long hours for poo poo pay and dealing with whiny idiot parents

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 12, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone explain why despite nearly 50(?) years of failure, people still insist on trying to build Notre Dame des loving Landes?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

julian assflange posted:

Can someone explain why despite nearly 50(?) years of failure, people still insist on trying to build Notre Dame des loving Landes?

Vinci doit bétonner toute la France et tu peux pas l'en empécher saloperie de hippie

e: I wasn't aware elements from a recent report just started surfacing
tlrdl: NDDL is poo poo, renovating the current airport is cheaper, more efficient, has a lower overall impact. Probably doesn't benefit Vinci as much though.

"My man do u hate jobs ??"
/

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 12, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

e: I wasn't aware elements from a recent report just started surfacing
tlrdl: NDDL is poo poo, renovating the current airport is cheaper, more efficient, has a lower overall impact. Probably doesn't benefit Vinci as much though.
The European Commission is also currently working on noise pollution and France is a pretty bad country according to the studies, mostly relating to airports and train-ways. At this point the stars are aligning against NDDL, they loving could cancel it and only piss the business side, no one else, so they of course they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Paris 'prepares new move' to woo London's top earners after Brexit.

quote:

According to Les Echos the government is preparing a new round of tax cuts in January in a bid to make Paris as competitive as Frankfurt with both cities fighting to replace London as Europe's financial hub.

The move would see a reduction in so-called "social charges" that are deducted from people's pay packets for those moving to Paris from London.

"Reducing the burden on the high salaries of finance is crucial to accelerate transfers from London to France. The public authorities have no ambiguity on this," said Arnaud de Bresson, the general delegate of Paris Europlace.

The high costs to employers in France compared to Germany or the Netherlands is also seen as hindering Paris's chances of wooing more bankers post-Brexit.

According to Les Echos an employer who pays a banker a salary of €100,000 a year will see payroll costs reach €49,000 in France compared €12,000 for the equivalent salary in Germany.

Nice. "Social charges" isn't even a good translation of "charges sociales", for gently caress's sake.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 14, 2017