Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I got all the Kodamas in Way of the Samurai. Am I correct in assuming I don't have to go hunting for them in the other difficulties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't use any elixirs in boss fights because I press the button to eat a crystal, then I turn on living weapon and mash square until I win.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Azran posted:

I got all the Kodamas in Way of the Samurai. Am I correct in assuming I don't have to go hunting for them in the other difficulties?

Once you got them you're good, yeah. Unless they reset in even later difficulties, but I'm not past Way of Strong. There are some in the Osaka sieges as well if you haven't gone through all of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick.

I just feel like if, in a game where you can't run out of healing items, you constantly find yourself running out, the answer is not to try to find a way to get more, but to find a way to use less.

The thing I said about not being able to beat a boss with only 3 elixers was meant to be a bit non-serious. I'm sorry that the tone came across wrong.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Once you got them you're good, yeah. Unless they reset in even later difficulties, but I'm not past Way of Strong. There are some in the Osaka sieges as well if you haven't gone through all of it.

Yeah, got 225 in total. Now just to check if I am missing a guardian spirit somewhere - after I got one in a sub-mission which wasn't listed as a reward, which I didn't expect.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Snak posted:

I just feel like if, in a game where you can't run out of healing items, you constantly find yourself running out, the answer is not to try to find a way to get more, but to find a way to use less.

The thing I said about not being able to beat a boss with only 3 elixers was meant to be a bit non-serious. I'm sorry that the tone came across wrong.

Rolling health up on amrita gain and health up on regular attack with your gear really helps as well, as it is I gain something like 300 HP per kill and it helps keep trash enemies from making me need elixirs.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Snak posted:

I gotta say, even though it's frantic and you have other options, getting hit in the game on normal is as if i'm playing dark souls on NG+3

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Is there actually a difference between a katana and a tachi or do they just have different icons because gently caress it why not?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know the answer to that, but I really wish items specified what slot they go in because it's really hard at a glance to tell if the item I just picked up is a hat, a shirt, or pants just based on the name. It takes an annoying extra second to be like "what is a Waraji, oh a Waraji is shoes okay" and it's a real petty complaint but it gets old after sorting my inventory a whole lot.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Snak posted:

There's a big difference between 3 and 11, so even though you "can't run out" your point is a bit silly. (and absolutely comes across as arrogant because of that)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was directly responding to how to "farm elixirs".

You don't need to farm to get 11 elixirs. If anyone felt demeaned or judged by my comment, I swear that wasn't my intention and I"m sorry. My point is simple: There are a lot of ways to progress in this game. Depending on your experience, what works for you is going to be different. Regardless of your skill level, or the path of progression that you are interested it, if you are concerned with "farming elixirs", I don't think that's a good or healthy way to pursue the challenges that the game presents. That's my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm playing in normal (starting the 4th zone) and have like 90 elixirs banked. The problem is that you can go from 8 to 4 in a single tengu because they hit like a truck. Well, everything hits way too hard and you can get combo'ed easily. Blocking is usually easier than dodging when it comes to more than one enemy, so is legging it to a narrow corridor and just poking them to death.

It's a minor complaint as I love the game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Tengu aren't so bad once you get used to them, the biggest pissoff with them is they have huge HP bars and the game loves trying to lure you into fights where it's a tengu and something else. Dodge to your right when they swing, dodge backwards when they kick, it's not too hard to get them locked into trying to hit and then kick you. Flowing Shadow also fucks them up like it does everything else, because you can lock them into futilely doing their spinkick over and over while you become a typhoon of death.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's not an overstatement to say that Flowing Shadow carried me through the entire DLC.

Snak posted:

I was directly responding to how to "farm elixirs".

You don't need to farm to get 11 elixirs. If anyone felt demeaned or judged by my comment, I swear that wasn't my intention and I"m sorry. My point is simple: There are a lot of ways to progress in this game. Depending on your experience, what works for you is going to be different. Regardless of your skill level, or the path of progression that you are interested it, if you are concerned with "farming elixirs", I don't think that's a good or healthy way to pursue the challenges that the game presents. That's my opinion.

I know what you mean, I just don't like running out of resources such as those, even if I don't end up needing them. I finished the entire DLC without dipping below 90 elixirs, but some of the bosses consumed like 30+ elixirs till I got the hang of it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I never took the elixir blessing off and at last check I have like 1100 of the things so do that

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So for some reason as I finished a couple of DLC side missions in Way of the Samurai, the Queen's Eyes mission on Way of the Strong opened up. So I went and did it to check just how better the gear was in Way of the Demon. Very first enemy dropped a +11 weapon. Amazing.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 5, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

I don't know the answer to that, but I really wish items specified what slot they go in because it's really hard at a glance to tell if the item I just picked up is a hat, a shirt, or pants just based on the name. It takes an annoying extra second to be like "what is a Waraji, oh a Waraji is shoes okay" and it's a real petty complaint but it gets old after sorting my inventory a whole lot.

There's icons next to the items you pick up in the readout. I can't remember if you gotta turn those on or not but it'll show you shoe, chestpiece, helmet, etc when you grab them with that.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Azran posted:

So for some reason as I finished a couple of DLC side missions in Way of the Samurai, the Queen's Eyes mission on Way of the Strong opened up. So I went and did it to check just how better the gear was in Way of the Demon. Very first enemy dropped a +11 weapon. Amazing.

It's pretty much the reason why using the blacksmith is not recommended at lower difficulties. The final difficulty has gear in the +30's and level 300's.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah and one thing I didn't realize for a bit is that the abyss is really good for powering up gear that you've already rolled. Even before ethereals you can use the defile droplets to boost the level and +X amount of items without having to pay the ever increasing soul match cost.

e: General question for those who have rolled their gear a bunch: is it still possible to roll damage stats on armor besides gloves? I know how transfer the inheritable stat, but I could have sworn it was possible to roll skill damage or thrown weapon damage etc on all armor pieces. I've done some crafting and I haven't seen anything like that, except on gloves where they seem to be common.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 5, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finally getting back into this. I didn't even finish all of the first DLC last time I was playing. So my first thing back was fighting Maria. Not exactly easing back in. Great fight.

Next thing I did was forge some tonfas to try em out. They're like my new favorite. So good.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Honestly that's a thing I really like in Nioh: all of the weapons feel good to use.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just wish enemies weren't eternal instant attack blocking machines so that I could enjoy using them more.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm going back and trying to beat Dark Souls 3 after finally completing Nioh. Holy poo poo, it feels like I'm moving through molasses. Guess I'll be running around naked the whole game to eke out what speed I can.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
hi thread, hope you won't mind a tangential bump after a few days. saw these extremely dope extremely Nioh statues at the Freer gallery in DC this weekend:

this one I think is a literal "Nio" as in a large statue that would have been used (in pairs) as a protector of the entrance gate to a temple. I dumbly forgot to get a pic of the other half of the pair

they are from about 1200-1300 CE. A lot of people have remarked on the depth/accuracy of the mythology in Nioh and I was impressed to see these statues that starkly reminded me of the game. Check out the exhibit if you have a chance! It's permanent in Gallery 8 at the Freer

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wow, fighting those clones were some bullshit. I know what they're doing, but getting hit for 1500 by one of their projectiles in the back as im trying to murder the first guy really pissed me off. Sloth Talisman felt like a requirement in that room.

I did finally beat the game though, I loved and hated this game. I can't wait to get into the DLC. Is level 150 the maximum? Because I'm just trying everything out. I don't know why I wasn't expecting it, but I freaked out when a revenant I killed dropped the Hayabusa gear and THE dragon sword.

Pretty sure beating this entire game and finding a revenant with the dragon sword drop was easier than actually getting it in Ninja Gaiden

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

For the player or for gear? The maximum player level is 700~750 (can't recall precisely). Gear can go all the way to 300 I think? And that's not even taking into account +levels. You've barely scratched the surface of the gear system by the end of NG.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm suddenly having trouble around level 80ish.

Just started Tokai, got a full set of Iga Jonin armor since I was getting tired of Warrior of the West (and couldn't find a better set katana) and all my stuff is 72-80, including both my weapons. Damage is fine, and I actually do pretty nice damage with Kunai. Have 20 Body and my HP is around 2500ish or so? Suddenly I'm getting murderated in 1-2 hits from a lot of stuff, even though the Defense difference between my WotW set and the IJ one is only about 450ish vs 420ish, respectively.

Does everything just suddenly start doing more damage in Tokai, or is there some hidden factor determining the damage? Even with the WotW set I only have slightly more hp after the same sorts of hits. Getting hung up on Ogress because she literally drops me to 5% health in one regular swing, and I need to blow 2 elixirs to get back to full, otherwise I'm dead in one hit. She's not particularly complex and I get HOW to beat her, it's just that the dodging and inconsistent enemy tracking means I get him to like 20% and then eat a bad hit and die instantly. :argh:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
It has more to do with the %damage reduction stat, which is listed first on any armor. Medium armor is around 5% reduction for a chest piece, vs. ~2.5% for light armor and ~7.5% for heavy armor. So by going from medium to light armor you lost ~2.5% total damage reduction from the chest piece alone, slightly less for each other piece of armor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, light armour makes a huge difference in how squishy you are. Individually there's not a huge difference but when you've got a full set on you'll be routinely one or two shot, regardless of where you are in the game or what your level is.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There are difficulty bumps with the various regions as well, enemies will be higher level and do more damage. It's definitely going to be the larger source of the damage increase than the gear change.

I use only light armor as I can't stand being slower on the agility scale. Some day I might have enough stamina or whatever to run heavier armor, but not yet :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Well crap, guess I may need to switch back. I don't mind the B agility, I just really like the sword + KSG playstyle and throwing mikibushi everywhere to show down enemies since they're more reliable than Sloth and can hit multiple people.

My WotW set is a much lower level, I don't have the smithing text for it like I do the IJ set, so I'm not sure if I wanna swap back... main thing is the sword, since the only set sword I have is literally 20 levels below me. Then again I mostly would use Raikiri anyway.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
If I go back to a completed level to collect the kodama that I missed, do I have to beat the boss and complete the mission for them to count, or can I quit out and still collect them? Because I don't really want to fight that flying demon lady in the cave again if I don't have to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I think you're good when you get the message saying you got them all.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Well crap, guess I may need to switch back. I don't mind the B agility, I just really like the sword + KSG playstyle and throwing mikibushi everywhere to show down enemies since they're more reliable than Sloth and can hit multiple people.

My WotW set is a much lower level, I don't have the smithing text for it like I do the IJ set, so I'm not sure if I wanna swap back... main thing is the sword, since the only set sword I have is literally 20 levels below me. Then again I mostly would use Raikiri anyway.

The important part of mikibushi is they slow movement, but not attacks, where Sloth and Electrify slow ALL animations, end of line. But yeah caltrops make groups more manageable for sure.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just picked this game up and I like it a lot. One thing though...who the gently caress thought locked rooms that just throw wave after wave of enemies at you were a good idea?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Popelmon posted:

I just picked this game up and I like it a lot. One thing though...who the gently caress thought locked rooms that just throw wave after wave of enemies at you were a good idea?

Yeah, that's really the part of the game I don't like especially when it's just a gauntlet of enemies and then two Revenents.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I kind of liked those onslaught rooms since it prevents people from relying too heavily on ninjitsu/onmyo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Popelmon posted:

I don't remember anything like that, save for one of the missions in the first region where the revenants are summoned in by those guitar monks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what that's referring to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I thought he meant the side missions that are just a gauntlet of encounters.