Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I had to log out pretty fast but thanks for crafting me a 36 Julianos/seducer set. It makes me not die in 2-3 hits anymore :)

Also, Stormhaven is so freaking fun. Gives me a whole new appreciation for Wayrest since TES2 wasn't exactly the most appealing visually. Hopefully Summerset is as good. I know everyone is saying Vvardenfell is top notch so I'm not too worried about that one.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

valuum posted:

That's an incredibly accurate description of ESO, welcome!

e: endgame and pvp is of course action-intensive, but you can easily drop both. Some of the very best gear is craftable, even.

Well, poo poo, time to put this on my wishlist then. Thanks!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

When I played this in beta and at early launch my overall impression was "an unbearably lovely Elder Scrolls game and kind of a lame MMO."

Coming back to it now, I have upgraded my rating to "a pretty decent Elder Scrolls game and an OK MMO."

Pros: I can't really overstate what a difference it made when they un-leveled everything. Now you can actually take off in any random direction and find something fun to do, without risk of outleveling your current quests OR running into content too advanced for you. You are actually free to explore and do what you want, when you want. For most PvE content, you can group up with a friend regardless of their faction or their level, teleport to wherever they are, and do what they're doing. They are really not making GBS threads you with the "Tamriel Unlimited" moniker. The game world is enormous and it feels like you will never run out of things to do.

Cons, so far: Some PvE stuff is phased/instanced such that you can't effectively group up for it. I ran the whole fighter's guild storyline start to finish with a friend the other day, but we were basically just soloing together because we got split into private instances for about 2/3 of it. (Really fun story, though.) There are also places where, if you are on a different quest stage or choose a different dialogue option, you and your friends can get stuck in separate phases where you can't interact.

In short, it's a fantastic solo game but gets a little janky when you group up. For anybody thinking about trying or retrying it, overall, I would give it a hearty thumbs-up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

toasterwarrior posted:

I've been looking for a chill RPG that I can play with a controller and ESO caught my eye when it was 10USD a week or so ago. I figured that since I fell off GW2 hard around the time Heart of Thorns was releasing (and I don't care to go back), maybe it was time to see what's up with MMOs.

Would you guys recommend this game as a good fit for someone who wants RPG gameplay that isn't too action-intensive, a good amount of freedom for wandering wherever and doing all the quests, and likes surprisingly-deep crafting so they can watch all the bonuses stack up on their poo poo?

That's a very good description of it, yeah. Honestly ESO reminds me of playing GW1 back in the day, though you'll still run into people out in the world.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nerd Of Prey posted:

In short, it's a fantastic solo game but gets a little janky when you group up. For anybody thinking about trying or retrying it, overall, I would give it a hearty thumbs-up.

Yeah some Fighter's guild, Mage's guild and (most) of the main quest will be like that; everything else will not split you in that manner.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So what's this I hear about mag/stam builds being worthless? Are all of my dragon knight skills useless if I choose to focus on dual wielding? I'm very confused about classes and everything now.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
The New Life Festival begins at 10:00AM EST on Thursday, December 14 and will run until 10:00AM EST on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.

This is great news for all you new guys, completing a quest gives you a reusable collectible that gives a 100% XP boost for 2 hours.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Black Griffon posted:

So what's this I hear about mag/stam builds being worthless? Are all of my dragon knight skills useless if I choose to focus on dual wielding? I'm very confused about classes and everything now.

You don't want to split magicka and stamina, go one or the other, for dual wielding you'll want to roll stamina, put all your attribute points into stam and (most) of your abilities will be morphed to stam, you're still probably going to have a buff or two that will be magicka which is fine, but none of your damage abilities should be.

The reason that hybrid builds suck is because your damage is based off your total magicka or stamina pool, whichever the ability costs, that's what it will scale off of (I am 99% sure this is how it works, it could be that it picks whichever of the 2 is higher but my point still stands that you lose a shitload of dps by splitting mag/stam)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

No, your skills are not useless -- or at least, they won't be. This is because you can morph skills to be based on the opposite statistic, once you level them a bit. So you can be a stamina DK if you want, you'll just need to use the skills enough that you can switch them to be stamina skills.

Hybrid is bad because every skill's damage scales off of either magic or stamina. It can be helpful to have a utility skill that runs off the other thing you don't use, so it's always gonna be available, but for the most part specializing in either direction is the way you want to go.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Huh, that's a dumb loving design. But hey, with my chosen morphs I never even knew I could morph mag to stam, so now I'm more in the loop.

And time to spend half my savings on respecs again I loving guess

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Huh, that's a dumb loving design. But hey, with my chosen morphs I never even knew I could morph mag to stam, so now I'm more in the loop.

You can respec morphs only, which will be much cheaper.

When you morph the thinks look at both skills it can go to, it will say if it uses magicka or stamina, (a lot/all) class skills will have a stamina and magicka morph, weapon skills are generally one or the other.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

Usually a skill's morphs will be: something that makes it more effective and use the same stat, and something that makes it run off the other stat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Some DK skills don't have stamina versions, though! Be sure to check a guide or something before you start respeccing everything!

For example, FLAMES OF OBLIVION or whatever is a magicka skill, but just having it slotted gives you a passive bonus to stuff so you can still put points into it, it just won't do as much damage if you actually use it. But SEARING STRIKE, on the other hand, is a magicka skill you can morph into a stam skill.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah no I'm gonna have to do the whole thing because I've got some mag only skills and that's not gonna work

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Black Griffon posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&userid=204394#post477979676

Read this post by yours truly about stam DKs and what you can do with them. Should give you a better idea of what skills to morph and how to set poo poo up in general, if that's the direction you're going with it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

valuum posted:

, completing a quest gives you a reusable collectible that gives a 100% XP boost for 2 hours.

What?? :stare:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The boost is only valid during the festival. But you can use it as much as you want during that time, apparently.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
We've had these in the previous events too, like the Jubilee Cake, Pie of Misrule or Witchmother's Whistle

corn in the bible posted:

The boost is only valid during the festival. But you can use it as much as you want during that time, apparently.
If it's like the items listed above, that is exactly how they are implemented.
They can also be used after the event is over, they just no longer provide the bonus XP.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Remind me, does it stack with experience scrolls?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yes. Even says so on the article.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scyantific posted:

Yes. Even says so on the article.

Sorry, skimmed the page a little too quickly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&userid=204394#post477979676

Read this post by yours truly about stam DKs and what you can do with them. Should give you a better idea of what skills to morph and how to set poo poo up in general, if that's the direction you're going with it.

I don't know what an Autralia is but I do have poor ping and this is very useful, thanks.
Edit: Oh my loving lord so this is the damage I'm supposed to deal

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 13, 2017

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
Can someone post a good Stamsorc build?

I'm just not feeling it with the build but I do prefer it to the magsorc I started with. Much more interactive.

Just seems that at times I can wipe the floor with mobs, but if there's three or more then it's a slog. I have most of the weapons maxed out though not all skills in their trees, all the class skills maxed.

Usually I run with the Clannfear with healing, bow and DW. Vampire ult.

Also, I'm kinda useless in groups and I'm CP110 or something now. Willing to respec the whole thing if people have a nice build to offer up.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Black Griffon posted:

I don't know what an Autralia is but I do have poor ping and this is very useful, thanks.
Edit: Oh my loving lord so this is the damage I'm supposed to deal

No problem! Also, no, not for a while on that damage. This is my main class with best-in-slot gear and a ton of practice on my rotation. Those kinds of numbers will come in time but aren't what you should expect right now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh no, I improved the moment I specced for stam only and followed some of your advice, no problem there. Morphed a couple of things differently for a little bit of self heal while soloing, including bloodthirst because I don't have the Assault tree yet, but it's way more effective than what I had.

Edit: Speaking of survivability; should I put points in health?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 13, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rap Three Times posted:

Can someone post a good Stamsorc build?

I'm just not feeling it with the build but I do prefer it to the magsorc I started with. Much more interactive.

Just seems that at times I can wipe the floor with mobs, but if there's three or more then it's a slog. I have most of the weapons maxed out though not all skills in their trees, all the class skills maxed.

Usually I run with the Clannfear with healing, bow and DW. Vampire ult.

Also, I'm kinda useless in groups and I'm CP110 or something now. Willing to respec the whole thing if people have a nice build to offer up.

Here's what I roll:

front bar dw: rapid strikes, blood craze, rearming trap, camo hunter, boundless armaments (the stam morph I forget what it's called or maybe I got it), ulti: Rend
backbar bow: poison inject, endless hail, hurricane, crit surge, boundless armaments ulti: either toxic barrage or power overload for extra skill slots

I wear NMG and red mountain all gold, dualwield the NMG daggers and bow is NMG (well maelstrom now), I use velidreth monster gear, I push 24-26k dps single target

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Do note that there's sometimes a reason to have a skill from the opposite stat. Maybe it's something where the damage doesn't matter, and having it available at any time is the most important thing. Like, I know some nightblades set up their vanish skill that way, so even if they run out of their main stat they can disappear and break aggro.

Black Griffon posted:

Oh no, I improved the moment I specced for stam only and followed some of your advice, no problem there. Morphed a couple of things differently for a little bit of self heal while soloing, including bloodthirst because I don't have the Assault tree yet, but it's way more effective than what I had.

The rule is generally to rely on enchantments, equipments, etc for health. Unless you're a tank you don't need any, and even if you are one you may pass it by as well.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 13, 2017

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

MF_James posted:

Yeah some Fighter's guild, Mage's guild and (most) of the main quest will be like that; everything else will not split you in that manner.

Those split into actual solo instances, but the other thing I ran into is when areas in the open world are phased based on quest progress.

I was grouped with a friend looking for stuff to do while we waited for a dolmen to pop, and we ran into an area where I had done the quest chain and he hadn't. I thought I could help him through it, but no... As soon as we got close to the town in question, we vanished from each other's screens. I was in a phase where the area was peaceful because I had resolved their issues, and he was in a phase where it was still in turmoil waiting for help. This is an example of something that makes it an awesome solo game (persistent changes in the world based on quest progress) but also a janky group experience.

By contrast, we have played a lot of Star Wars: The Old Republic together, and in that game you can usually enter each other's solo instances as a helper/observer even if you're not on the quest. A little icon pops up at the top of the screen telling you whose phase you're in. You usually don't progress your own quests in a friend's phase, but you get XP for kills, you get to watch their cutscenes, and you can help with tough fights. It would be a nice option to have in ESO.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
So I have a healer, a dps - now considering a tank. The only issue is that sometimes I'll just start listening to music, or watching something whist playing and I might miss a boss spell or channeled, and not block.

Just how tough is tanking in this game? I've been to a good few 4-mans now, but tbh only seen a handful of a good tanks (who manage to keep aggro of all important creeps). Most just hit on the boss and afk throughout the fight.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 13, 2017

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the stamsorc build above. Nice change and even without that gear I feel more survivable. The crit-heal is great

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rap Three Times posted:

Thanks for the stamsorc build above. Nice change and even without that gear I feel more survivable. The crit-heal is great

Yeah your build is essentially based on that, you will take thief mundus and all divines on your gear for max crit; I think I'm around 73% when I'm on the front bar, something like that, been a while since I looked.

Conall
Oct 8, 2015
I tried ESO over a weekend and liked it enough to subscribe and get Morrowind. I'm a little confused. Now, when I make a new character it starts me in Morrowind and apparently the expansion is a prequel story-wise?

I like experiencing the story in MMOs. Where should I start? And what order to do the DLC content in without getting spoilers for stuff later on?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Conall posted:

I tried ESO over a weekend and liked it enough to subscribe and get Morrowind. I'm a little confused. Now, when I make a new character it starts me in Morrowind and apparently the expansion is a prequel story-wise?

I like experiencing the story in MMOs. Where should I start? And what order to do the DLC content in without getting spoilers for stuff later on?

The entirety of ESO is set prior to the main games. The main plot involves some gates to oblivion, and you can also visit skyrim and see some stuff that sets up things for that game, etc etc. And obviously, the Morrowind questline has various things that you'll recognize from playing Morrowind.

The main Morrowind questline involves meeting up with Vivec and doing stuff for him across the island. You're free to do other side stuff there as well, and to join the guilds -- they're not exclusive to eachother and you can level them while exploring without doing any of the actual guild quests, so you should join as soon as you can.

The main quest of the baseline ESO will start when you leave Morrowind; someone will give you a quest telling you to meet up a BENEFACTOR, and he will send you off to the original starting area for the main plot. After that, the prophet will periodically contact you to give you new details relating to the main conflict, and you have to do those in order.

However, the towns also have quests which sort of go in order, with recurring characters and plot threads, which you absolutely can do out of order if you wander around a lot. Usually it's pretty clear where you're meant to go next once solving the area's problem, though.

The DLC is all set in other locations so it's generally unrelated to the stuff going on elsewhere, story-wise. Don't worry about it!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Black Griffon posted:

I just respecced to move anything I had in health to stamina, it was a vast improvement and I don't feel any more fragile. Just use food if it becomes a problem.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 13, 2017

Conall
Oct 8, 2015

That's really helpful. Thanks! I'll just start over and start from Morrowind then.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Hello my @ name is @Legoman13 and I would like to join Goons in the world of Tamriel

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: removed my ting

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 14, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scyantific posted:

Aight so Magicka Templar,

Eventually you're going to want your skills looking like this:
  • Puncturing Strikes -> Puncturing Sweep
  • Piercing Javelin -> Aurora Javelin
  • Focused Charge -> Explosive Charge
  • Spear Shards -> Blazing Spear
  • Sun Fire -> Reflective Light/Vampire's Bane
  • Solar Flare -> Dark Flare
  • Backlash -> Purifying Light
  • Radiant Destruction -> Radiant Glory
  • Rushed Ceremony -> Breath of Life
  • Restoring Aura -> Repentance
  • Cleansing Ritual -> Ritual of Retribution or Extended Ritual
  • Rune Focus -> Channeled Focus
  • Radial Sweep -> Crescent Sweep or Empowering Sweep
  • Nova -> Solar Prison
  • Rite of Passage -> Remembrance

Continuing with my dumb questions about magplar, none of the destruction staff skills are in here, is it better to just stick with the class skills?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Snowy posted:

Continuing with my dumb questions about magplar, none of the destruction staff skills are in here, is it better to just stick with the class skills?

You will want all of the destruction staff skills with the exception of Impulse.

Force Shock -> Crushing Shock
Wall of Elements -> Blockade of Elements
Destructive Touch -> Destructive Reach
Weakness to Elements -> Elemental Drain
Elemental Storm -> Elemental Rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
New Life Festival is here! And it's absolute poo poo, same as it was last year.

If you don't care about the achievements and just want to get some gift boxes with the least effort involved:

*You can do each quest once per day. War-Orphan's Sojourn and Trial of Five-Fingered Guile (if you're good at opening chests) are the two least time-consuming quests. Stonetooth Bash and Fishboon Feast are the most tedious ones.
*It's random which quest Breda will give you each time you talk to her. So just cancel out of the conversation with Breda until she offers one of the less lovely ones.

If you DO care about the achievements, don't have an inventory full of stolen stuff when you do the one where you throw mudballs at the faction leaders, because you will get a bounty and probably die.