Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wanna write a Joe McCarthy biopic and see if it makes the Blacklist.

All Minutemen soundtrack explicitly written into the script of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It seems to be a movie about video games by people who knew what video games were like 30 years ago. 3 lives?

It's an improvement.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In all fairness, Jumanji was disguising itself as a retro game. Just like the original movie had it becoming an old board game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oh my god why are there so many WWII/WWII-related movies? Is that just a thing thats in vogue again or what?

Has there ever been a year where that wasn't the case? I mean making a WWII movie has always been an easy way to get Oscar buzz.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inescapable Duck posted:

Has the new Jumanji movie been discussed here? I've been seeing trailers for it, and it's kinda funny that it actually seems like a movie about video games by people who actually kinda know how video games work. Though presenting it explicitly as a retro game helps. Though also kind of a stealth D&D movie, there's a lot of overlap there.

It looks like poo poo, one and done. Jumanji has two decent sequels: Zathura and Goosebumps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zathura may have the best single line of dialog in a kids film wherein a child confirms to another child that he will use his new found robot for whatever he wants and then turns to the robot and shouts "Get me a juice box, bi-otch"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barudak posted:

Zathura may have the best single line of dialog in a kids film wherein a child confirms to another child that he will use his new found robot for whatever he wants and then turns to the robot and shouts "Get me a juice box, bi-otch"

Yes, lol. It's very Talledega Nights.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

John Carpenter's Escape from the North Pole. Starring Kurt Russel as Santa.

I'd watch that.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like the three female assassin movies, 2 about saving her daughter.

And two of those have her dying from either cancer or poison as well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Remember the Tommy Wi-Show?

It's hilariously odd.

I could never get into that. You can just TELL that Wiseau is deliberately exaggerating his schtick. Self-aware so-bad-it's-good NEVER works.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah for the first part, (which I don't like that much) but then when he plays the games, it's all him. Like that's the real Tommy right there. Goofy, and weird as hell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Oh my god why are there so many WWII/WWII-related movies? Is that just a thing thats in vogue again or what?
WWII was The Good War, so you can make a self-serious war movie about the horrors of war without even appearing to question if war is good. That's a win-win prospect in Hollywood.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

WWII was The Good War, so you can make a self-serious war movie about the horrors of war without even appearing to question if war is good. That's a win-win prospect in Hollywood.

You could do a WW1 film, but the problem with that is everyone asks "Why didn't they set it during WW2?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was a pretty successful world was 1 movie this summer.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wonder Woman was basically WWII with the second 'i' haphazardly erased

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What the hell does that mean

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sinners Sandwich posted:

WW kind of dodged the issue about the meaningless war with the idea that Ares was behind people acting like idiots and throwing a generation into a meatgrinder.

The good, gallant allied nations fought against evilbad fascist guy hell-bent on gassing people.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The Germans were bad guys and the English were the good guys instead of everyone just being a bunch of stupid assholes.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ok that makes sense, shame

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

And two of those have her dying from either cancer or poison as well.

Any of them can be reworked into a Tomb Raider script?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JUrhh9VC8

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Nonsense. Everyone knows he changed his mind after he was kidnapped by the Looney Tunes so he could save them from the Monstars. :colbert:

Moral escapism. We'll have WWII from now til end of America.

Phanatic posted:

The Germans were bad guys and the English were the good guys instead of everyone just being a bunch of stupid assholes.

Would've been funnier if WW fought to stop the British from gassing the Germans. And ended up in a heart to heart with an artist soldier who tells her he'd never use mustard gas if he was in charge.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There was a pretty successful world was 1 movie this summer.

That was the film to which I was referring

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The MSJ posted:

Any of them can be reworked into a Tomb Raider script?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JUrhh9VC8

I had forgotten this loving video existed.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

FilthyImp posted:

WW kind of dodged the issue about the meaningless war with the idea that Ares was behind people acting like idiots and throwing a generation into a meatgrinder.

The good, gallant allied nations fought against evilbad fascist guy hell-bent on gassing people.

Phanatic posted:

Uhh guys

1. Wonder Woman assumes the Allies "must be" the good guys because essentially she met an American aviator/spy first and he happened to be really earnest and hot. As a result she completely misses that Ares is actually directing the Allies from behind the scenes, kills a bunch of innocent people based on wild assumptions, and generally gets taken for a ride and comes within a hair's breadth of failing to stop Ares because she was being a huge idiot for most of the movie.

2. Ares literally says that he's hardly ever had to do anything and that Mankind is belligerent enough without his influence. He didn't cause WWI.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 13, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Uhh guys

1. Wonder Woman assumes the Allies "must be" the good guys because essentially she met an American aviator/spy first and he happened to be really earnest and hot. As a result she completely misses that Ares is actually directing the Allies from behind the scenes, kills a bunch of innocent people based on wild assumptions, and generally gets taken for a ride and comes within a hair's breadth of failing to stop Ares because she was being a huge idiot for most of the movie.

2. Ares literally says that he's hardly ever had to do anything and that Mankind is belligerent enough without his influence. He didn't cause WWI.

I've had multiple conversations with people who've seen the movie and thought it took place during WWII.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I haven't checked but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't made the argument "Ares only had to give the Germans a little assistance to make their already existing plans more effective and they did everything else themselves but he had to actually step in and take a high level governmental role to forcefully redirect the English into carrying out his evil plans"

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I've had multiple conversations with people who've seen the movie and thought it took place during WWII.

It was set in WW2 but they had to call it WW1 because the kaiser had stolen the word two.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Uhh guys

Yes, but the movie is still painting the Germans as the bad guys. Chris Pine is the good guy, escaping from them, the Germans show up on the beach as bad guys trying to recapture them. The *audience's* sympathy is plainly intended to lie against the Germans. The only enemies we see are Germans. It's the Germans who are shown doing all the bad things, like using chemical weapons, shooting their own troops, conquering formerly-picturesque German towns. The allies aren't shown doing anything like that, when of course they did. This has nothing to do with Ares or WW, it's a deliberate choice because the alternative would be to have to deal with WWI as more than just a costume.

Yeah, WW misunderstands what's going on in-universe, but out-of-universe the Germans in this movie are presented exactly as the Nazis are in most WWII films: faceless bad-guy goons who it's okay to kill in great numbers. Basically the antipathy towards Nazis is such a deep part of the cinematic context that it extends retroactively by decades.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Who's excited for A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rcWwRQ

Will we get another Harry Potter blockbuster franchise or another Golden Compass blunder?

(it'll be the blunder)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A Wrinkle in Time looks good and even my wife who doesn't like movies wants to see it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fried Watermelon posted:

Who's excited for A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rcWwRQ

Will we get another Harry Potter blockbuster franchise or another Golden Compass blunder?

(it'll be the blunder)

Boy howdy, that looks bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, you poo poo talking Ava Duverney?

At worst this is a "Tomorrowland" barely break even proposition

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah, you poo poo talking Ava Duverney?

Well, from the trailer alone, it looks like it has the same over-seriousness, predictable plot, and uninteresting exotic (CGI) locations that plagued Pan.

And seriously, the cast makes me feel like Hollywood lost a bet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a person unfamiliar with either Ava's work or the original book beyond each getting praise I have to completely agree with Baronash. Nothing in that trailer excites me, I feel like I've seen it all before, it feels like a tonal mishsmash, the production design doesn't feel cohesive, the cast is all over the place, and the chosen-one story seems generic as hell.

The image of Chris Pine in that weird room is dope though, and I like that the child is explicitly mixed-race. But beyond those two things I see nothing to like in that trailer, but it could be deceptively marketed. I'm still holding out hope that it's great based on all the Ava and book praise, but I'm not optimistic.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 13, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I assure you, Tomorrowland didn't break even. There's a reason why Brad Bird suddenly found himself sitting back in Pixar and having to make an Incredibles 2, much like Andrew Stanton before him made a live-action movie and suddenly found himself sitting back in Pixar and having to make a Finding Nemo sequel, and it's not because that's what they imagined for themselves in the months before their movies opened.

As for A Wrinkle In Time, it's a movie that screams "we could have, and probably should have, just done it as an animated movie".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Baronash posted:

Well, from the trailer alone, it looks like it has the same over-seriousness, predictable plot, and uninteresting exotic (CGI) locations that plagued Pan.

And it doesn't seem to have either the gravitas or the religious overtones of the original. Looks like the very essence of the work was filtered out.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Yes, but the movie is still painting the Germans as the bad guys. Chris Pine is the good guy, escaping from them, the Germans show up on the beach as bad guys trying to recapture them. The *audience's* sympathy is plainly intended to lie against the Germans. The only enemies we see are Germans. It's the Germans who are shown doing all the bad things, like using chemical weapons, shooting their own troops, conquering formerly-picturesque German towns. The allies aren't shown doing anything like that, when of course they did. This has nothing to do with Ares or WW, it's a deliberate choice because the alternative would be to have to deal with WWI as more than just a costume.

Yeah, WW misunderstands what's going on in-universe, but out-of-universe the Germans in this movie are presented exactly as the Nazis are in most WWII films: faceless bad-guy goons who it's okay to kill in great numbers. Basically the antipathy towards Nazis is such a deep part of the cinematic context that it extends retroactively by decades.

Pretty much. My only guess as to why it's set in WW1 and not WW2 is because the producers were concerned about having a War Bad story set in The Nazi War.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the germans arent really bad guys outside of Herr Roete Herring and Frau Gas

The rest of german high command is on the "gently caress this poo poo" train

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Cameo posted:

I assure you, Tomorrowland didn't break even. There's a reason why Brad Bird suddenly found himself sitting back in Pixar and having to make an Incredibles 2, much like Andrew Stanton before him made a live-action movie and suddenly found himself sitting back in Pixar and having to make a Finding Nemo sequel, and it's not because that's what they imagined for themselves in the months before their movies opened.

As for A Wrinkle In Time, it's a movie that screams "we could have, and probably should have, just done it as an animated movie".

Wasn't Tomorrowland bombing the main reason Disney pulled the plug on Tron 3?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wasn't Tomorrowland bombing the main reason Disney pulled the plug on Tron 3?

Partially, yes. Legacy came out before Disney owned Marvel and some other stuff, and it was a mediocre-at-best performer. Disney has gotten a lot less inclined to green-light expensive passion projects over the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Baronash posted:

I wouldn't really call Pan "over-serious"

• Locked thread