Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

svenkatesh posted:

Spending money on things you didn't need to meet minimum spend?

The capitalists are getting to you comrade.

In other news, Discover and AmEx are both phasing out the signature mandate.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761742/american-express-signatures-credit-card-purchases-no-more

A little but not that much, current bed was a bachelor bed in a box I got when I was 26 (now 34) for like $300 and I want to upgrade to a Casper for $1500 or so all in. Laptop is several years old and starting to freeze every time it comes out of sleep mode among other things, just figure it's probably around time for an upgrade to both. But you are correct that maybe I should re-analyze the situation I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

astral posted:

If it's within 30 days of the AF posting, Chase will refund the whole fee rather than giving you a prorated refund.

Right but that makes sense, when you have a new fee that you aren't actually paying because you are cancelling the card at the start of the new year. But if we knew they were going to prorate the fee on her card for the prior year, we could have cancelled it after the bonus posted and we transferred the points to my card. $450 fee, -$300 travel credit, -~$375 prorated refund...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

Right but that makes sense, when you have a new fee that you aren't actually paying because you are cancelling the card at the start of the new year. But if we knew they were going to prorate the fee on her card for the prior year, we could have cancelled it after the bonus posted and we transferred the points to my card. $450 fee, -$300 travel credit, -~$375 prorated refund...

, piss off Chase, risk a clawback, risk not being able to take advantages of those good offers again or, worse, a full shutdown, ...

Seriously, don’t do that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

astral posted:

, piss off Chase, risk a clawback, risk not being able to take advantages of those good offers again or, worse, a full shutdown, ...

Seriously, don’t do that.

They won’t do any of those things.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

asur posted:

They won’t do any of those things.

I'm amazed that you can feel comfortable saying that with such certainty. I'm for sticking it to the banks as much as the next person, but a quick way on any bank's shitlist is to cancel annual fee cards immediately after getting such a sizable bonus without even holding the card the full year. PCing is marginally better; at least that way your credit report doesn't show the closed account for all of the other banks to catch wind of your actions, and as for the specific bank there's still the chance you'll keep using the newly-changed card and make them some money.

You're probably fine doing it once or twice, but if you establish a pattern or if the banks tighten things even further in the current anti-churning climate? Good luck.

e: clarified a point

astral fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 12, 2017

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Looking a bit more into it it seems they only prorate the refund (other than a new fee within 30 days) for a product change and not a cancel.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

Looking a bit more into it it seems they only prorate the refund (other than a new fee within 30 days) for a product change and not a cancel.

That's correct. It's a relatively newer policy that came into effect last year; before that, you could even cancel up to 180 days after it posted to get a full refund. As you can imagine, people abused it.

Luckily, they still offer prorated annual fee refunds with product changes.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Elysium posted:

I'm with astral on this one. I'm all about taking advantage of the big banks to game rewards, but this seems ballsy -- even for me. I mean come on -- 300$ travel credit twice before the second AF hits is 600$ in statement credit PLUS the 104,000 UR points. I think it's important to know when you've already won.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Lol my wife got a mailer for LUXURY BLACK CARD and it's trying so hard to sell the SODOSOPA lifestyle

And it's only a lovely 1.5% back

Lol holy poo poo $495 annual fee just to have their lovely card

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

astral posted:

Really looking forward to the signature-less future, but merchants have to get behind it too. I may have already told the story about how I paid something like 43 cents with apple pay and the badly-configured merchant (Rite Aid) terminal made me sign for it. :psyduck:

Digital signatures are a joke. I just draw doodles on all of mine. Can't wait for them to stop

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Refund talk. I cancelled my Amex SPG two weeks before I was going to have the next fee hit. I unexpectedly got the previous years fee refunded. Crazy stuff.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Refund talk. I cancelled my Amex SPG two weeks before I was going to have the next fee hit. I unexpectedly got the previous years fee refunded. Crazy stuff.

That's bizarre but good for you. I'm about to cancel my Amex Plat if I don't get a good retention offer, the AF hits next week. That would be cool.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Going for a second discover IT- I'll use the first person to post a referral link

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

DeceasedHorse posted:

Going for a second discover IT- I'll use the first person to post a referral link

https://refer.discover.com/s/ww6hb

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I signed up for the Southwest card a few weeks ago, now I'm seeing that the fine print might only qualify those who receive the promo email as opposed to clicking through a link on one of the cc blogs (like what I did). I made a few purchases immediately so we'll see soon.
I logged into my Southwest account and saw that my companion pass has been awarded. Yay!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I got a double refund on my Chase Preferred, but they eventually corrected it.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Thanks, applied and approved.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
ed: DP

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

DeceasedHorse posted:

What do you mean by this? Do you get the same bonus on your second IT card as well?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Chase UR shopping portal is such a joke. A few months ago I called them to complain that I didn't get my extra 8x rewards on a completely legit $200 purchase, and they never followed through.

Well, I made an expensive ($2,900) order on the Microsoft store for a laptop. The Chase UR T&C specifically says laptops don't qualify for the extra points. Not only that, but after a week, I cancelled the order because Microsoft was not gonna ship on time. It never made it past "pending" status on the Chase site.

Two weeks later, out of the blue, I receive an email congratulating me for earning extra points on the Chase shopping portal. I got paid over 6,000UR points for a purchase that I cancelled, and didn't qualify to begin with. That's over $120 worth of points.

I'm not gonna contact them about it, we'll see if anyone notices and takes them away but I doubt it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Might get clawed back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Lol my wife got a mailer for LUXURY BLACK CARD and it's trying so hard to sell the SODOSOPA lifestyle

And it's only a lovely 1.5% back

Lol holy poo poo $495 annual fee just to have their lovely card

I have no idea what SODOSOPA is but I just got that same offer today. $495 fee, $100 airline credit, 1.5% cash back. And that's it. Their target market is people who are really bad with money, I guess. The big selling point was that it is a metal card.

I got the exact same offer a few years back and it was a Visa. This time it was a Mastercard.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I have no idea what SODOSOPA is but I just got that same offer today. $495 fee, $100 airline credit, 1.5% cash back. And that's it. Their target market is people who are really bad with money, I guess. The big selling point was that it is a metal card.

I got the exact same offer a few years back and it was a Visa. This time it was a Mastercard.

It's a South Park episode that lampoons gentrification.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

clopping and cumming posted:

What do you mean by this? Do you get the same bonus on your second IT card as well?

From what I've read, one can get a second discover card after having the first for 12 billing cycles and get another 12 months of double cashback.

ed: obviously the first part is correct as I have a second card on the way.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

DeceasedHorse posted:

From what I've read, one can get a second discover card after having the first for 12 billing cycles and get another 12 months of double cashback.

ed: obviously the first part is correct as I have a second card on the way.

Let's give it a try! I will use the first referral code posted!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

clopping and cumming posted:

Let's give it a try! I will use the first referral code posted!

https://refer.discover.com/s/qupjd

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

applied and approved. thanks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I had to call Barclays to deal with a surprise late fee charged to my Uber card account today. Apparently even though I set up a "repeat payment" to pay my balance in full weeks ago and the UI indicated that I was set, the payment did not in fact happen. Thankfully the customer service representative was able to reverse the fee, but it was not a great start to my morning.

I guess you should always make your first payment manually with Barclays cards to be sure.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

I had to call Barclays to deal with a surprise late fee charged to my Uber card account today. Apparently even though I set up a "repeat payment" to pay my balance in full weeks ago and the UI indicated that I was set, the payment did not in fact happen. Thankfully the customer service representative was able to reverse the fee, but it was not a great start to my morning.

I guess you should always make your first payment manually with Barclays cards to be sure.

It's like this with autopay on every credit card - you have to wait until AUTOPAY shows up on your statement

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

It's like this with autopay on every credit card - you have to wait until AUTOPAY shows up on your statement

Some cards flat out don't allow you to use autopay for your first statement and with others it works right from the start. This was somewhere in between--it let me set it up immediately but it did not actually function for the first statement despite indicating that I had a repeat payment scheduled.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
I am looking to get a no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, rewards credit card. I've narrowed it down to the HSBC Cash Rewards MasterCard or the Capital One Quicksilver. I have good credit, no CC debt, and pay off my balances at the end of each month.

Is there any appreciable difference between the two? It looks like I get slightly more cash back with HSBC (like 1.65% instead of 1.5%), but based on my spending, the difference is negligible.

Am I forgetting anything or should I just flip a coin and get one of these two?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have the Quicksilver it's good.

If you live in a market with Capitol One bank locations that have Pete's coffee shops in the bank, if you use a capital one card the drink is half priced.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

King George posted:

I am looking to get a no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, rewards credit card. I've narrowed it down to the HSBC Cash Rewards MasterCard or the Capital One Quicksilver. I have good credit, no CC debt, and pay off my balances at the end of each month.

Is there any appreciable difference between the two? It looks like I get slightly more cash back with HSBC (like 1.65% instead of 1.5%), but based on my spending, the difference is negligible.

The BofA travel is stock 1.5% but goes up to 2.625% with relationship balances at the bank.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

FunOne posted:

The BofA travel is stock 1.5% but goes up to 2.625% with relationship balances at the bank.

I thought BoA was just travel rewards/points? I already have their normal cashback card, but since I live abroad, I wanted a card I can use without the extra % fee (and unfortunately can't really make use of any synergies with other banking services).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

King George posted:

I thought BoA was just travel rewards/points? I already have their normal cashback card, but since I live abroad, I wanted a card I can use without the extra % fee (and unfortunately can't really make use of any synergies with other banking services).

They have two cards.

Travel rewards, credits 1.5 points back per dollar spent + bonus based on relationship. 10% is stock (so 1.65 points everywhere) if you have a checking account, up to 75% with 100k in assets /w the bank. (2.625%)

You redeem points against travel purchases, but it credits those at a straight 1% rate. So, you effectively get 2.625% cash back at the highest level. You only have issues if nothing you buy is travel coded.

Premium rewards is their newest card, $95 fee but $100 credited yearly towards airline incidentals. 1.5 most places and 2.0 at restaurants and travel. So, 2.625 max everywhere and 3.5 on restaurants and travel). These "points" just credit as $$ back on your account.

I've said it before, but I honestly think for many people who have IRAs the BofA rewards is a killer feature. You can keep your IRA invested, use its balances to count towards relationship status, and get tons of services. I get 100 free trades a month, the 2.625/3.5% cash back card, and I don't think I've paid a service fee for anything. Hell, I straight up forgot to pay a bill and they just waived everything given "my relationship".

And I just go to the closest ATM that gives out hundos and BofA cheerfully pays the $3 convenience fee for me.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The BoA travel card is great if you can get the relationship bonus.
The Quicksilver is good, it's 1.5% cashback doesn't have to be redeemed against travel purchases so it's a bit simpler, I'd recommend it over the BoA if you're not going to qualify for their relationship bonus.
I'd also say to consider the new Uber card, 4% on dining is a great category bonus for a no annual fee card.

Also look into Schwab's checking account if you haven't already. It doesn't earn rewards or anything but it has no foreign transaction fee and refunds all ATM fees. It's great when you're abroad because you can use whatever ATM you want to pull money out in the local currency without any fee.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

King George posted:

Capital One Quicksilver lets you print whatever image you want on your card, so I've got a picture of one of my guinea pigs, and then get to chat with people about guinea pigs when they see my card. :3:

I realize this is a dumb reason to hold on to this card vs going for something with a higher total cash back, but I love this feature and wish more cards did it. I like it way better than having a metal card I can't destroy without tin snips.

Edit: Don't have a copy of that photo available to me at work, so here's another picture of the same pig who is on my card right now:

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Cool, looks like it's going to be the Quicksilver then.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

THF13 posted:

I'd also say to consider the new Uber card, 4% on dining is a great category bonus for a no annual fee card.

If this card got covered in thread already, sorry for repeating, but this looks like a really good deal. 4% on dining, 3% on travel, 2% on online purchases, $100 sign-up bonus, $50 annual credit for $5k spend that goes toward any streaming service, and no foreign transaction fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I just read through the last ten pages and didn't see anyone with the same question as me, so here I am. I'd call up Chase but I'm guessing my chances are better of someone here knowing the answer.

I have had a Sapphire Preferred for years. I have opened less than five cards over the last 24 months (I think I opened maybe one).

I get more vacation this year than I have for years, so I'll be travelling more and want a Sapphire Reserve. The internet seems to be split on whether i can get a CSR and it's signup bonus if I already have a CSP.

Ideally I'd sign up for the CSR and get that signup bonus, and have both cards for at least a year. Sounds like that won't work- has anyone tried to do this?

Barring that, maybe I cancel my CSP, wait a few days (???), and apply for. CSR with bonus?

I really don't want to lose the benefits of the CSP for too long (tons of Chase points right now), so if I have to cancel the CSP and wait two years, I'd rather just change my CSP to a CSR, which would mean I forefit the sign up bonus.

Anyone know the way to optimize my situation? Guess it's not that big a deal to try to ge t auto approved - my credit is ~800, so a failed application can't really hurt me.