Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
xuzhou showing off its new fleet of water cannon trucks to counter air pollution

https://my.mixtape.moe/prqhuu.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

big time bisexual posted:

xuzhou showing off its new fleet of water cannon trucks to counter air pollution

Will the soon show off their sponge trucks to counter acid rain runoff?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Der Shovel posted:

Chinese exchange student stories part n+1. To recap I'm doing my MSc in a Finnish university, and my program has a lot of Chinese students in it. For the most part, they are loving terrible and would be out of their depth at a high school, let alone post graduate studies at a university. Luckily my studies are almost done as I'm finishing up my thesis, but as part of that process we have to do a thesis seminar. And part of that course is peer reviewing other students' work.

For whatever reason, the hot topic for Chinese students this year is natural language processing, as almost all of them are doing their thesis in some application of that. It's a very complicated topic and creating any kind of natural language processing algorithms is hard work and requires some fairly serious coding chops, which these people naturally don't have, so their thesis work has been loving embarrassing so far.

One girl wants to do an algorithm which will trawl through thousands of reviews and create a summary of any given product for you. She doesn't know how to code, wants to have her thesis done by the end of December and doesn't have an algorithm of any kind, but that's not a problem because "she can just google for one". Anyway summarizing reviews is easy because all reviews follow the format "noun is adjective", according to her. This obviously and immediately isn't true but let's not let that stop us.

Anyway, I was supposed to peer review her progress report tomorrow. The reports were supposed to be uploaded to our systems at least a week before their presentation deadline (ie. last Wednesday) so the reviewers could actually read them and give meaningful feedback. She submitted hers without any comment late yesterday. This is 100% normal with Chinese exchange students, they don't give a gently caress about deadlines and expect the world to just adapt and deal with their bullshit.

Her report was comically bad sub high school level bullshit. It was SUPPOSED to include a detailed literature review and a detailed thesis statement (with research questions and explanations for why they were chosen) but instead what it contained were 15 pages of random chapter titles for empty chapters, chapters which just contain single obviously copy pasted sentences out of like "see Chapter 6 for a more detailed explanation of Naive Bayesian Networks" (the report doesn't have chapters), random sentences from Wikipedia articles about the subject, incomprehensible poo poo like "some of these algorithms can be quite the powerful and suitable" and screen caps of AppStore game reviews.

I am legitimately upset and a bit offended by this. What the gently caress are people like these doing at a post graduate program at a major university? The fact that we're expected to peer review -- to imply that these people are academically our peers with their loving elementary school level "I pasted the wikipedia definition of this subject as my thesis" skills -- and give meaningful feedback for a report that is only fit to be used as toilet paper is honestly insulting. I'm so loving sick of this poo poo and it's honestly cheapening the whole program to see idiots like this graduate from it.

submit this as your peer review, you'll be called into HR and put on probation for being racist and have something in your permanent file about it, the girl's parents will call the university and complain, then pay the university more money so the girl can get her degree.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 12, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/paulmidler/status/940698873936277504

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

That's a really smart idea, each truck washes the previous one's exhaust fumes out of the air, making this setup 100% environmentally friendly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/iheartbeijing/status/910374202867404802

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Recbcek

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Baronjutter posted:

Serious realtalk tip: Don't marry into a mainland chinese family unless you know your spouse is fully emancipated from their parents and not under their control and are perfectly fine telling them to gently caress off when they're demanding stupid poo poo or being offensive, or that their parents are cool and good. If you're having kids make double sure you're on the same page when it comes to parenting and health care.

My wife married me for the explicit purpose of being able to tell her father to gently caress off.

Her relationship with her parents got a lot better after that. (Her dad is still a bit of a prick, though.)

I saw one of those parked outside a middle school near here and wondered WTF it was. I presumed it was for spraying pesticide or something.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

They station these trucks near the air quality sensors to give false readings.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am teaching math to Chinese kids. I now understand why they're able to scare the hell out of Americans and why that's hilarious.

They understand concepts that American kids wouldn't get for another year, minimum.

They can't solve story problems, no matter how simple the actual math is, to save their lives. They struggle with multi-part problems that aren't really story problems.

Their Chinese-language math classes teach them how to do a thing, give them problems that are solvable with that thing, and then grade them on solving that thing. Then they move on to the next thing. What they don't do is give them problems that can be solved with one or more of the many things they have been taught, and let them figure it out themselves. They don't ever do that. They are spending all their time going from concept to concept and algorithm to algorithm and never slowing down to actually integrate that all into an actual understanding of math. And what do you mostly see on tests (because they're cheaper to score)? The kinds of questions that require you to know things, not to understand them.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

I am teaching math to Chinese kids. I now understand why they're able to scare the hell out of Americans and why that's hilarious.

They understand concepts that American kids wouldn't get for another year, minimum.

They can't solve story problems, no matter how simple the actual math is, to save their lives. They struggle with multi-part problems that aren't really story problems.

Their Chinese-language math classes teach them how to do a thing, give them problems that are solvable with that thing, and then grade them on solving that thing. Then they move on to the next thing. What they don't do is give them problems that can be solved with one or more of the many things they have been taught, and let them figure it out themselves. They don't ever do that. They are spending all their time going from concept to concept and algorithm to algorithm and never slowing down to actually integrate that all into an actual understanding of math. And what do you mostly see on tests (because they're cheaper to score)? The kinds of questions that require you to know things, not to understand them.

yup

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

So have either of you read "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics" by Liping Ma?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
No, but unless there was a joke of some kind hidden in that question it looks like maybe I should.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All these horror stories about people's Chinese in-laws make me feel really lucky with my girlfriend's parents.

Her mom ran a hospital and tried to retire, but after she did the new boss was so inept that the hospital began losing tons of money in lawsuits. They had to bring her mom back to manage things and prevent the medical staff from cutting so many corners.

Her dad is a doctor at the same hospital and kept almost getting fired for years for telling his colleagues that they weren't keeping up with current medical research or adhering to western standards. His wife being high up in administration was the only thing that saved his job. Nowadays he's in his own department alone because no one wants to work with a guy who calls them out on mistakes, but he goes to conferences around the world and presents actual research.

Her parents have apparently saved a good chunk of money but live very frugally, while all their dumbass colleagues drive nice cars and have big houses. Meanwhile they've biked to work for the past 30 years.

My girlfriend has also inherited her dad's intolerance for fools, which got her in trouble at her last job. Now she works with actually competent people though so that stress headache has ended.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 13, 2017

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Oh yeah, chinese in-laws. My father in law is a douchy blowhard who barks a lot but doesn't bite. My mother in law is a nice woman, a great cook, but incredibly simple and under control of her douchy husband. Luckily my wife is on my side and is not afraid to tell her parents to gently caress off if she doesn't agree with them.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paladin posted:

So have either of you read "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics" by Liping Ma?

I've never taught Elementary mathematics and sure as poo poo have no plans to, so I'll pass on this

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My father in law moved from bumfuck Anhui to Beijing in the 90s and started collecting things for recycling. He got some contracts to collect all the cardboard from several supermarkets. He hired some people, and they did that and various cleaning and setup projects in the supermarkets, along with collecting recycleables from various other sources. He made a lot of money at this. He is worth somewhere between 10 and 20 million RMB.

He rented some land near the airport to store and sort his crap. He built some brick slum dwellings with sheet metal roofs on that land. His were (until their recent demolition) the worst-looking shanties in that whole slum. There was one shared toilet outside, two shared cold water taps outside, and no heat other than electric or charcoal. If you wanted to live there, it'd cost you 300 RMB per month. He and his wife lived in the largest of the "apartments" despite owning a nice apartment elsewhere in Beijing.

My mother in law is an illiterate nong who plays majiang all day. She actually makes some money at it too, somehow. She's also from bumfuck Anhui where all of her illiterate nong family are from. (Seriously, only one of her first-order blood relatives can read). She's not the sharpest tool in the shed...she's not exactly dumb, but she is slow. Like she was so slow to realize that a truck backing up toward her meant she had to get the gently caress off her cargo trike and run that she lost a leg.

When they were living in the brick shanty, she used to adopt stray animals. But she never really fully domesticated them so they'd go off and get hit by trucks all the time. She went through 3 or 4 dogs and cats a year.

The mother's side are the more tolerable group by far. Most of my wife's horror stories about family members acting like poo poo to other family members are about her father or his siblings. (The "people acting like idiots" stories are on the mom's side.)

But he's got all the money, and provided all the opportunities to all their family and friends to come to Beijing, so no one's ever going to call him on anything.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Gettin' flashbacks to the Wall Street Kid Let's Play.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I'm going to the Recbcek store, does anyone want anything?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh dear.

Someone is going to put the wrong water in making it go prompt critical causing an explosion equivalent to several tons of TNT. If they are going to use nuclear power just make a normal plant to get both electricity and use the waste heat to warm homes instead of cooling towers.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So, uh, what're the possible consequences of a chernobyl-style disaster if it's upwind of a densely-populated stretch?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My fear is that there is a non-zero chance of fissionable material being "lost" and ending up in some unfortunate family's home because it's a magical chunk of metal that heats your home and cooking all by itself.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They might not notice with all the pollution already in the air /Sarcasm.

The loss of Face would be beyond imagination. A bunch of people would die from radiation. The exclusion zone would a city off the map. An explosion in the middle of Beijing would gut it. Politically beyond that it would be dicey with mass civil disturbances on the cards.

I have no problems with nuclear power and I wish we have more but I definitely don't want anymore Chinese nuclear power.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

They wouldn't be so stupid to put a nuclear reactor in the middle of Beijing.

I think.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just for future reference
http://www.weather.gov.hk/education/dbcp/plan/eng/r1.htm

Hidden away in the schools resources section of the loving weather website

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

Just for future reference
http://www.weather.gov.hk/education/dbcp/plan/eng/r1.htm

Hidden away in the schools resources section of the loving weather website

http://www.dbcp.gov.hk/

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

They wouldn't be so stupid to put a nuclear reactor in the middle of Beijing.

I think.

There used to be a secret experimental and training military reactor in the middle of London underneath an old as navy building. It was tiny but having a reactor deep inside a city isn't without precedent. It operated for 34 years until 1996. It was very low power operating at 10 kW so the equivalent of 5 residential space heaters on full blast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_reactor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BMlu2wgBJs

The Chinese are looking to heat an entire city which is a whole other ball game.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yes but you have to know that there is a plan (and something to plan for, no less) before you can go looking for its site

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Y'know, if the PRC was actually serious about patenting thorium-salt reactors they could actually be sincerely heralded as an intellectual force.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How does heating a city with a single central reactor work? Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to generate electricity and have space heaters in each house?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

underage at the vape shop posted:

How does heating a city with a single central reactor work? Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to generate electricity and have space heaters in each house?

Insulated pipes.

Yeah they leak energy, and more than electrical lines, but turning heat to electricity to heat is less efficient than keeping it as heat the whole way by a factor of 3–10 to begin with, so they have a lot to lose before they’re worse.

There’s a good reason your car’s heater bleeds heat from the engine cooling system rather than running a space heater off the alternator.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

underage at the vape shop posted:

The district heating infrastructure is already there, and this way, instead of turning radiation into heat into power into heat, they just heat the water (in a PWR design or something similar the water that’s heated doesn’t become radioactive) and put that into the pipes. You’re just taking an existing system and replacing the coal or natural gas furnace with a small nuclear reactor similar to what you’d see at research institutions, training centers, or colleges with particularly well-funded physics departments. Undergrads with a semester of training can run them.

*edited because I’m not 100% sure these would technically be called PWRs, I’m not an engineer

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 13, 2017

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

The district heating infrastructure is already there, and this way, instead of turning radiation into heat into power into heat, they just heat the water (in a PWR design the water that’s heated doesn’t become radioactive) and put that into the pipes. You’re just taking an existing system and replacing the coal or natural gas furnace with a small nuclear reactor similar to what you’d see at research institutions, training centers, or colleges with particularly well-funded physics departments. Undergrads with a semester of training can run them.

Yeah, people would be surprised if they knew how many downtown university campuses have or have had a similar Baby's First Nuclear Reactor type situation running without being noticed by anyone. The scale alone makes them pretty easy to handle safely. Living next door to a chabuduo one would still terrify me.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

My fear is that there is a non-zero chance of fissionable material being "lost" and ending up in some unfortunate family's home because it's a magical chunk of metal that heats your home and cooking all by itself.

No big deal. Brazil already tried this out on a lower scale, everything's good!
http://www.nuclear-risks.org/en/hibakusha-worldwide/goiania.html There are even more in-depth articles but you get the gist.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, I hate to buck the thread wisdom that this would be ridiculous but eh, it’s not like they’re putting Chernobyl in a basement. I looked it up because I wasn’t sure and a bunch of Eastern European countries plus Switzerland use water pipes from nuclear plants for district heating, though I’m not sure if any of them use swimming-pool reactors that are within the districts themselves for it.

I live in a city that burns garbage for power and even the air here is better than most mainland cities so I can totally understand choosing small-scale reactors like this over burning more coal. At least the nuclear plant only poisons you if something goes wrong.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I remembered my wood working safety class : 8/10 right means you still lose 2 fingers.

I’m just glad my inlaws are 100% great.

Actually never mind, my father in law is a bit of an OCD engineer and has a huge phobia of missing trains or flights. He likes to show up at the airport 5 hours ahead of time so he ends up leaving his house 8 hours beforehand.

The few times we did travel I compromised by sleeping in the airport hotel and picking some morning flight. Or he gets us business class tickets and we hangout at the lounge.

Compared to the crazy poo poo in this thread I guess he’s quite tame.

And gently caress that 28 year old for keeping the 19 year old in the dark. He needs to have a backbone and be the bridge between his parents and his spouse. He should be the one trying to fix problems since he is the family link.

And as a 19 year old why the gently caress do you want to marry some old guy so soon when you are not even knocked up. I might be as judgmental as the inlaws but I would be more diplomatic and classy about it.

Warbadger posted:

Some people try to avoid empty carbohydrates in their diets.

Still a short fat broken mess

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

The district heating infrastructure is already there, and this way, instead of turning radiation into heat into power into heat, they just heat the water (in a PWR design or something similar the water that’s heated doesn’t become radioactive) and put that into the pipes. You’re just taking an existing system and replacing the coal or natural gas furnace with a small nuclear reactor similar to what you’d see at research institutions, training centers, or colleges with particularly well-funded physics departments. Undergrads with a semester of training can run them.

*edited because I’m not 100% sure these would technically be called PWRs, I’m not an engineer

Tianjin actually had a trial run piping the heat from furnaces and factories into the neighbourhood. It was actually a pretty good project and the government paid a lot of money to do it right. Eventually the city will expand the project for the whole city with heat pumps and insulated heat pipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Chinese inlaw chat!

My wife basically hates everything about her parents, but ironically I think they are kind of cool.

Her dad is a mid level communist party official who thinks he is james dean (he loves americana and road trips and dusty open roads and motels) and her mom runs a chinese school and thinks she is a french princess.

Now that my wife has adopted my crazy western ways of ignoring her parents things have been better, but their craziness has led to multiple arrests in the US. Being around her family is like being in some strange zone where nothing makes sense. It is still fun though.

• Locked thread