Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Volgarr the Viking is years old and kinda ugly but it's on Switch now and I like it a lot, it's an arcade-style platformer with Super Ghouls n Ghosts jumps

Gunvolt Striker Pack Switch isn't just ports, they updated the games to run at 60FPS, changed some of the systems in the first game to match the systems in the second game, redid the UI, etc. they're the best versions of each game

are those updates on the 3ds version of the pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

are those updates on the 3ds version of the pack

no, Switch only, even the awful Gunvolt PC port is 30FPS

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Re: Gunvolt Burst I just unlocked Charge Shots and being able to set up your own custom bullet option to use as your charged shot is insane lol. What a cool idea

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/311352/What_devs_are_saying_about_the_design_of_Animal_Crossing_Pocket_Camp.php

quote:

Yoko Taro (Nier: Automata) - I played the 3DS DobuMori (Animal Crossing), and you know the raccoon who makes you get a mortgage without agreeing to it? It was like the Lehman Shock (The Bankruptcy Of Lehman Brothers), so I wanted to get revenge on him in the mobile version.

I was kind of sad because there are fewer things you can do in the mobile app, compared to the 3DS version. The fact that you have less freedom, makes the Ditch-Forest seem even darker.

Let's take, for example, what the "monsters" eat. The rabbit seems to be of the normal herbivorous variety, but can be seen, in this game, grilling and eating fish. Also, in this game, pigs and cows enjoy barbecue (but you can't see what they're grilling). What is going on in this ecosystem? When you run out of things to eat, do you resort to cannibalism? Is there so much difference in the intelligence of birds and fish? If you walk on two legs and talk, does that mean you won't be hunted? Is the value of your life determined by your intelligence? There are so many interesting themes hidden in this game.

Also, I want to say something about the unreasonable shopping. You need to predict what those monsters want like an esper (human who possesses ESP), and give those things to them to get your big reward. What is this a metaphor for? Why do you have to collect things that are right next to the monsters to make them happy, like a slave? I guess this represents the divisions between people in class society.

I haven't put any furniture or anything in my camp except a kerosene tank. I started this game to get revenge on that raccoon, Tanukichi, but now I have a different purpose.

I'll enjoy playing this game until I burn that dark forest down.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gunvolt is good. I can't get past the first level of Volgarr the Viking lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

volgarr kicks rear end

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

has anyone played cooking food simulator whatever its called

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Gunvolt Striker Pack Switch isn't just ports, they updated the games to run at 60FPS, changed some of the systems in the first game to match the systems in the second game, redid the UI, etc. they're the best versions of each game

i've only played the first game so far but i noticed it takes 3 hits before you lose your kudos which is nice

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mysterious loyall X posted:

It's good for hectic local multiplayer but that's about it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The End Is Nigh is real good but I played all afternoon and now I feel exhausted . Made it up to Golgotha but now I gotta take a break

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lmao

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

hyped as gently caress for yoko taro animal crossing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

It's really fun in local mp

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

Steamworld Heist is also worth checking out , I know it's on 3DS and iOS and I assume on PC as well. It's the same world as the Dig games but a completely different genre, X-Com style turn based squad strategy except it's on a 2D sidescrolling plane. You aim and adjust trajectory like you're playing Worms or something basically and it works out really well.... I hope it gets a sequel that builds on it the same way Steamworld Dig 2 did on the first game

its coming to the switch. Swtich wins again, look at the bodys just stacking up lel

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want Nioh on Switch, but really I want Ninja Gaiden

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

If you are talking about Overcooked yes, local mp is an absolute riot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/941065619637702656

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
always bet on nintendo

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I picked up Spelunker Party because I've had a lot of fun playing Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with my wife and kids. Turns out it's a little too old school difficult for them, but I'm addicted. Never been that into Spelunker before, but having levels with checkpoints and hidden gear has gotten me into it. Maybe if I find enough cool gear, it will be easier for my family to survive.

Any other four player couch co-op games people would recommend?

Tato fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 14, 2017

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I got it a week ago and now every time I touch my Switch I wanna play another Spelunker Party level.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The End Is Nigh is really good but driving me loving crazy ..... tried my hand at the second world of "Part 2" tonight and made it to 2-18 on my first go which I'm happy with, i'll get it second try

edit: also the structure of the game is so cool. I guess it's a small mechanical spoiler so I'll put it in tags but basically the first half of the game is structured close to Super Meat Boy or whatever where you go through worlds that each have 20 screens and get unlimited instant retries when you die. Every screen has a collectible item in it & sometimes getting the item is MUCH harder than just beating the stage outright. Once you beat all the worlds you unlock a second, much harder world map, and now you have a limited number of lives for each 20-level world, and those lives are determined by how many collectibles you picked up in Part 1. I finished it the first time through with like 160 but that's not as much leeway as it sounds like since apparently I died over 1,200 times just beating Parr 1 lol

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 14, 2017

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

The End Is Nigh is really good but driving me loving crazy ..... tried my hand at the second world of "Part 2" tonight and made it to 2-18 on my first go which I'm happy with, i'll get it second try

edit: also the structure of the game is so cool. I guess it's a small mechanical spoiler so I'll put it in tags but basically the first half of the game is structured close to Super Meat Boy or whatever where you go through worlds that each have 20 screens and get unlimited instant retries when you die. Every screen has a collectible item in it & sometimes getting the item is MUCH harder than just beating the stage outright. Once you beat all the worlds you unlock a second, much harder world map, and now you have a limited number of lives for each 20-level world, and those lives are determined by how many collectibles you picked up in Part 1. I finished it the first time through with like 160 but that's not as much leeway as it sounds like since apparently I died over 1,200 times just beating Parr 1 lol

the postgame stuff clamps you down even further, i see the structure of the entire game as trying to train players comfortable with meat boy's ways to be stricter players, its so impressive

what i see as the final challenge took me maybe 10 hours and i was seeing the levels when i closed my eyes at night. its awesome

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ok good that makes me feel better that somebody here beat it lol, now I won't give up. This is already way harder than any Super Meat Boy dark world stuff (I beat that world btw and I'm onto Future Water Level) & it seems like the cartridges might be even harder based on the one I found in one of the side path Future zones. drat this game is good though and the music is amazing , the remix in Future World 2 is epic

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
what happened to Team Meat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

what happened to Team Meat

mewgenics was abandoned, they took a break, meat boy forever should be out in 2018

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-25-super-meat-boy-forever-and-the-return-of-team-meat

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also Edmund has nothing to do with Team Meat or Meat Boy Forever anymore; him and Tommy Refenes broke up. I don't think anybody but them knows exactly what went down with that. Edmund and Peter Glaiel (who made End Is Nigh with him) did an AMA on Reddit together yesterday and said they've picked Mewgenics back up and are working on it together.... I think the next Edmund game is gonna be The Legend of Bumbo though which is a puzzle/matching RPG in the Binding of Isaac setting

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this zelda motorcycle is so freaking stupid and cool. i love it

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

GameCube posted:

this zelda motorcycle is so freaking stupid and cool. i love it

gonna have to disagree with you there; its not stupid

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

fellow imps please add me on switch: SW-2180-6298-8713

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone tried Enter the Gungeon for the Switch? Is the port decent?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Pumprag posted:

i havent bought it yet but it sounds like it runs well with rare instances of slowdown. in the gameplay i watched i only saw a couple little hitches when it was loading a new room

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pumprag posted:

Yeah I played all night yesterday, it's great. There's a "speed mode" in the settings that turns down a couple visual effects in favor of performance, but even without enabling it I only noticed issues on one particular boss. Also they've added some of the QoL improvements from the big upcoming update to the Switch versions, so there are more teleporters and drops are a little more generous and there's a new type of ammo pickup that restores partial ammo to all the guns in your inventory

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i found out the other day theres a The Nintendo Switch loving Sucks Megathread in gbs

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
those epic gbs funnymen back at it again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

i found out the other day theres a The Nintendo Switch loving Sucks Megathread in gbs

136 pages of win

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's really good
E: sorry for quoting the bad post by the mentally ill poster who likens switch likers to heroin addicts before immediately talking about how much Bitcoin they have

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 16, 2017

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Please don't show that to me.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Pablo Gigante posted:

136 pages of win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Cleretic posted:

Super Mario Odyssey has no way to reward you outside of Power Moons. And this actually completely ruins all exploration of its worlds to me.

Other than bosses and major events, which give you three Power Moons, everything else gives you one. Everything supposedly worth giving you a reward for--be it climbing an appealing-looking construction, looking in a barely-hidden corner of the world, or completing a platforming challenge you needed to buy a specific outfit to get into--gives you the exact same reward. Because of that, it feels almost pointless to actually pursue the really cool, involved secrets they put in, because you can get the same reward for much less time by solving a cookie-cutter Goomba-capturing challenge you've seen three times before.

The part that most demonstrated that to me happened yesterday, when I stumbled onto a secret warp that took me to Yoshi's House in the Mushroom Kingdom! It's based on his house in Super Mario World, you can see the entire grounds of Peach's Castle and it's based somewhat on Super Mario 64, and at the top of Yoshi's chimney is a Power Star that the game's UI specifically calls that and plays the original star-get jingle from Mario 64! ...But the Power Star is literally identical to a Power Moon in rewards, and in fact might even have given me less because it counted as being in a different world, I'm not sure. Meanwhile, the challenge outside of that warp took me thirty seconds and also gave me a single Power Moon.