Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ogmius815 posted:

So I have almost no hope that democrat can win a senate seat in Alabama in 2017. Maybe if the election had come in the immediate shock of the Moore news, but not after a month.

Moore did a bad job of riding a horse this morning, so that should lose him a few points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birds
Jun 28, 2008

So last year before the election, someone compiled a Twitter list of accounts that I could harvest tears from. The outcome of the election wasn't what I was looking for but does anyone have anything similar for this?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Well, looks like I have to report for jury duty tomorrow morning after all, so I'll be watching this election booze-less. Send me your thoughts and prayers, please.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/940703491332431872

Happy holidays!

birds posted:

So last year before the election, someone compiled a Twitter list of accounts that I could harvest tears from. The outcome of the election wasn't what I was looking for but does anyone have anything similar for this?

Just read this thread tomorrow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Alabama guy putting the Roy Moore sign on the DNC headquarters lawn

"how about eat poo poo and choke"

"You are blocked from following @kev4congress and viewing @kev4congress's Tweets. Learn more"

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

birds posted:

Not sure I have a liberal list sitting around.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Your Taint posted:

A normal person would have just left it go instead of derailing and trying to find meaning in things that weren't there.

man you are just a goddamn dense motherfucker

or troll, I guess

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Crow Jane posted:

Well, looks like I have to report for jury duty tomorrow morning after all, so I'll be watching this election booze-less. Send me your thoughts and prayers, please.

No law against reporting for jury duty while hungover!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

birds posted:

It's thinking poo poo like this that caused last year. You don't loving pre-plan your gloating.

Nothing is guaranteed and Hope is a Lie.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

canepazzo posted:

DId someone see some exit polls with a result they don't care for? Or just hedging their bets?

Yeah this tells me the GOP's internal numbers must be ugly. :munch:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your Taint posted:

I clarified what I meant many times directly. People wish to draw their own conclusions even though I've said things directly in my defense. That's their problem, not mine.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing this up. This current derail was triggered by a person saying maybe I"m not the best person to jump in and defend someone on whatever it was and then I said I don't care and the flood gates opened. But don't let that fact get in the way.

Your Taint posted:

I wasn't talking about her looks. I was talking about her personality and her being a soulless husk of a woman. I feel bad for her husband and kids for having to put up with her. Good god, man.

Your Taint could have instead posted:

I intended my comment to be about her personality and the fact that she is a soulless husk of a human. I feel bad for her family. But I see how it's more often used against women than men and follows along the line of traditional subordination of women, so could be interpreted as a gender-oriented attack. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Please stop quintilli-something-ubling down.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

imagine this stroking your hair and breathing heavily into your neck

he calls you ivanka

:smithicide:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Your Taint posted:

I'll stop when everyone else does. Deal? Good.

Jesus, are you a literal loving child?

"Just stop."

"Not til everyone else stops too!!!"

Act like a goddamn grown-up. If you feel like someone's being overly mean to you then just loving leave the thread. Jesus christ.

And at this point I think it'd be more infuriating if your response to me was 'You're right man, I'm gonna go have a bowl/play some Hearthstone/jack off/eat hot wings because I'm clearly just taking cheap shots out of spite" because it'd mean that a man telling you the exact same loving thing a woman has worked for some reason.

mistaya posted:

Naw, Trump prefers his misogynistic/bigoted slurs when he's around his very fine people. He would never use a proper 'pc' insult like rear end in a top hat.

Sorry, my joke was Donald Trump WAS the rear end in a top hat and voting for him is why we're here in the first place :shobon:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

birds posted:

there's not going to be any, either way. you'll either read gloating or you'll read them saying "he wasn't a real Republican, molested kids"

the people who are really, really behind him aren't on Twitter

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

No and no. It's a regular day at most businesses. Most states (including Alabama) have some form of law requiring at least some time off to vote, but restrictions vary state to state. Some states don't have laws about it at all.

In Alabama an employer must give you one hour to go vote if polls are not open at least two hours before your shift starts or one hour after it ends. Employees must give notice they need to vote. This is not a paid break.

Sorry I meant in countries with compulsory voting. Ohio goon here :) Pepito mentioned Uruguay had it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wait, are we mad about pussy or dick?

Also, if you alabamaramans could pull off one for the good guys it will go a short way in reducing the freaking out level of the rest of us in the world.

Like, we'd still be all

but it'd take maybe 3 Hs off.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Glumslinger posted:

34 states allow you to mail in voting with no excuse, Alabama is not one of them

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_in_Alabama#cite_note-electionswebsite-13

Looks like the Eastern & Southern part of the country need to get their poo poo together. Most don't allow no-excuse absentee voting and several don't allow early voting either. It's not just a red state problem.

Source: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Exit polls are literally worse than useless.

That's not necessarily true, the late exits that come out after polls have closed tend to give us much better information, though still not perfect. Early exit polls are basically garbage though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Your Taint posted:

Yeah, technically everywhere is supposed to give you time off to vote. Your employer can't explicitly tell you you CANT go vote, but they don't have to make it easy.

There's no federal voting leave. If you work in let's say, New Jersey, your employer can totally say you can't go vote during work hours.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

Showing up drunk and full of drugs would make you the ideal juror, and being that you’re smart enough to spell and use grammar correctly, you’re probably the best chance some public defender has at actually convincing someone that a defendant isn’t immediately guilty.

In short: bust out the whisky and weed, motherfucker.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Her rap sheet is infinitely more amusing than yours, which is mostly you making some of the worst jokes in history like calling Golden Tate Golden taint, and making dogwhistle racism jokes about the loving looters of Katrina 12 years after the fact.

You are writing checks your infantile wit cannot cash here

Hey, the Golden Taint thing was high level comedy. Don't know what you're talking about.

I said people shouldn't loot and apparently I'm a Klan member or something now. Whatever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Quorum posted:

That's not necessarily true, the late exits that come out after polls have closed tend to give us much better information, though still not perfect. Early exit polls are basically garbage though.

In Alabama they're usually useless because people just straight up lie. They'll vote for the racist or pedophile but don't want to be seen as the person voting for the racist or pedophile so they'll just tell the pollster they wrote in a name.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

RandomBlue posted:

Looks like the Eastern & Southern part of the country need to get their poo poo together. Most don't allow no-excuse absentee voting and several don't allow early voting either. It's not just a red state problem.

Source: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx

West coast, best coast.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

hanales posted:

Sorry I meant in countries with compulsory voting. Ohio goon here :) Pepito mentioned Uruguay had it.

Ah, missed the context.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mango sentinel posted:

There's no federal voting leave. If you work in let's say, New Jersey, your employer can totally say you can't go vote during work hours.

Seriously? I thought that was a federal law.

That's seriously hosed up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Did he write this himself?

Because it sucks.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ig55 posted:

Umm again, read the article. All for making GBS threads on McConnell but that's not how the senate works. He can't unilaterally decide when someone in sworn in.

I read the article. Maybe I should tell you to ummm again read my post.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just saying he's more than happy to change how the senate works when it suits him, as per his decision to stall Merrick Garland out for a year.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Did he write this himself?

Because it sucks.

He named the reindeers after Ways and Means people. I literally can't even.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

hanales posted:

I still don't get why WE don't have compulsory voting.

I mean I get WHY we don't. I mean, I don't get why it's never even mentioned. I'm pretty sure even hardcore Republican voters will take "you can mail in, go on Saturday, or whatever instead of having to miss out on a Tuesday at work."

If you REALLY need to convince them, just tack on "Like the Lazy Millenials/Liberals all want, am I right?"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

People are never going to stop drinking, and pretending to be a beer snob is a way for millions of people to pretend they're enthusiasts and experts and not alcoholics drinking beer at 10 AM. See also: wine experts.

Not everybody has the Trump thread and the endless dipshit "I'm not racist or sexist but" brigade giving them a case of the fuckits.

I was kind of taken back when a couple of buddies said they drank 4-5 beers a day.

I'm wondering if the current beer Bonanza is going to end up spiking alcoholism rates. Or if it just made it socially acceptable to be a high functioning alcoholic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

canepazzo posted:

DId someone see some exit polls with a result they don't care for? Or just hedging their bets?

I assume hedging his bets, both because either way he'd rather have Strange, and he wants to act like it was always planned to not seat the elected senator until January and this has nothing to do with it being a Democrat should it come to that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ig55 posted:

Umm again, read the article. All for making GBS threads on McConnell but that's not how the senate works. He can't unilaterally decide when someone in sworn in.

he can very easily tell the Alabama SoS to slow-walk certification and jam votes through before it happens.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

JoelJoel posted:

Wait, are we mad about pussy or dick?

I'm mad for dick personally

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I will never get over the fact that Paul Ryan's favorite band told him he's awful and not to listen to their music any more.

How do you not reevaluate yourself after that?

Edit: I'm just saying if Carly Rae Jepsen tweeted me saying that I'm a terrible person and shouldn't listen to Call Me Maybe then I would have to take a long hard look at myself because I love that song.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LOL! No handwritten notes: this poem was better thought out than the actual tax plan they created!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

treerat posted:

My mom constantly wonders about what things are like for the wife/husband of people with bad personalities, I will be sure to inform her that she is being sexist.

Women are fully capable of perpetuating the misogynistic culture they have been raised in and been taught to accept as normal since before they could walk.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

I was kind of taken back when a couple of buddies said they drank 4-5 beers a day.

I'm wondering if the current beer Bonanza is going to end up spiking alcoholism rates. Or if it just made it socially acceptable to be a high functioning alcoholic.

anyone who drinks alcoholic beverages for the taste is a high functioning alcoholic

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Classtoise posted:

I mean I get WHY we don't. I mean, I don't get why it's never even mentioned. I'm pretty sure even hardcore Republican voters will take "you can mail in, go on Saturday, or whatever instead of having to miss out on a Tuesday at work."

If you REALLY need to convince them, just tack on "Like the Lazy Millenials/Liberals all want, am I right?"

Any kind of federal law like that would be fought in the courts until the sun burned out by "FREEDOM" people. It would require an amendment to the constitution to actually do properly, and, well, you can imagine how that would go.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

RandomBlue posted:

I live in WA and I can confirm that mail-in voting is awesome. I get the ballot in the mail a few weeks before the election, fill it out at home, then mail that sucker back. I can even track my ballot online.

Only downside is that I don't get one of those 'I Voted!' stickers, but I'll live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Classtoise posted:

Compulsory voting doesn't guarantee better results.

• Locked thread