Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

ImpAtom famously is the guy who says that panels in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns where Batman shoots the thug with a gun and saves the kid is actually Batman shooting the wall behind the guy to scare the guy into dropping the kid.

I'm not joking.

I actually really liked that conversation, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Umm I think it was pretty obvious that the family did die, and then Superman used his Super Yelling power to bring them back to life.

Pretty basic stuff, guys.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What you didn't see is Superman flying above and rewinding time enough to move the family THEN snap Zod's neck.

loving Snyder cutting things.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Martman posted:

Umm I think it was pretty obvious that the family did die, and then Superman used his Super Yelling power to bring them back to life.

Pretty basic stuff, guys.

Yeah, but there's no shot of their crispy zombified corpses crawling towards Superman in gratitude, loving Snyder has no idea how to communicate this poo poo smdh

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Relive The Legend...One Last Time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750431&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=202#post458746131

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahhaahah and then SMg gets it exactly right and gets called a worthless piece of poo poo for his troubles. Good times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It made me appreciate just how bad the animated adaptation of TDKR was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McSpanky posted:

All that poo poo sucks and proves exactly what's wrong with the idea of treating comic book adaptations like illuminated manuscripts.

I mean, the conclusion is pretty weird, but the ambiguity is clearly intentional. I don't think I'd noticed that before, so I appreciate it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vintersorg posted:

What you didn't see is Superman flying above and rewinding time enough to move the family THEN snap Zod's neck.

loving Snyder cutting things.
I was really pleased with how the Ultimate Cut of BvS restored the scene where Batman says "You were never a god, you were never even a man" and then delivers the entire John Galt speech.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

McSpanky posted:

It's bad although from what I've seen it's better than a lot of that stuff. Also Peter Weller is a really good Old Batman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the scene in the ultimate cut where Lex is talking about how God wasn't there to stop his daddy from beating him, and then Tommy Wiseau walks on the rooftop and says "That's bullshit! I never hit him! Oh hi Clark!"

It's those lighthearted moments the theatrical version missed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

dont even fink about it posted:

Actually, he steers Zod's head into the civilians because he doesn't give a gently caress, and then does a triumphant yowl at how awesome that fight was.

Now is not the time for hope.

That comes later.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean, the conclusion is pretty weird, but the ambiguity is clearly intentional. I don't think I'd noticed that before, so I appreciate it.

I agree, it's more ambiguous then I initially thought, except for Batman saying "I believe you" which is nonsensical if he just went for a scare.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Two things gents
1. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 blew rear end because I saw Baby Driver first. With both having similar "use regular songs", the drastic difference in how effectively they were used made G2 just feel like a knockoff at times.

2. What are the best versions to watch of MoS and BvS?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I agree, it's more ambiguous then I initially thought, except for Batman saying "I believe you" which is nonsensical if he just went for a scare.

Batman-as-Spaghett.

"Got ya, spooked ya."

Anyway the much better example of this is Batman kissing Harley Quinn.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nasgate posted:

What are the best versions to watch of MoS and BvS?

There's only one version of Man of Steel, and I say go for the Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut because it generally goes over better with people. UC is also the director's preferred cut.

If you watch BvS UC and say "what if this were more hallucinatory?" you can seek out the TC.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

Despite what the internet would tell you, there is only one version of Man of Steel.

For BvS, wait a little bit and K Waste can hook you up with the best version

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

Did he finish it? Because I would really like to watch it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lies! There is a vastly superior cut of MoS which is exactly the same but then drained all the color then readded MORE color than it started with, with both versions shown on top of eachother

It's called the "What if Man of Steel was IN COLOR?" cut

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Lies! There is a vastly superior cut of MoS which is exactly the same but then drained all the color then readded MORE color than it started with, with both versions shown on top of eachother

It's called the "What if Man of Steel was IN COLOR?" cut

This is the cut where a YouTube content creator personally comes to your house and jams knives in your eyes, right?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GoTG2 is an inferior movie vs. GoTG1.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Burkion posted:

Oh, was that finished?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

GoTG2 is an inferior movie vs. GoTG1.

I would put it with Civil War and Age of Ultron in my bottom tier for the Marvel films. They're all just insufferable plot wise, and all the rounded characters from previous films are suddenly one dimensional.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't know if he's going to finish it. (I guess he should speak for himself on this)

It's a cool concept and 30min test reel he put together along with the screen caps is solid stuff. I like the way K.Waste made the green fade out during the big moment.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Did he finish it? Because I would really like to watch it.

It's dropping Christmas Eve, in the meantime I'm trying to put together a Devotional Criticism of Man of Steel as a preamble.

The outline for the latter I've got so far is:

1) "Spectacle As Story - Style As Substance"
2) "Son of Man, or Man of Steel?"
3) "What if Man of Steel WASN'T in Color?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh gently caress yeah.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Dan's not confused at all. He said it "looked like." He knows, he's simply stating what it looks like in the shot. It's a perfectly valid opinion and it's a shame to watch people be so disingenuous for the sake of a dogpile.

you forget the failing cognition, the man's a scoundrel!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's dropping Christmas Eve, in the meantime I'm trying to put together a Devotional Criticism of Man of Steel as a preamble.

Oh gently caress yeah.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

I may be more excited about the Devotional Criticism than the BvS cut...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nasgate posted:

Two things gents
1. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 blew rear end because I saw Baby Driver first. With both having similar "use regular songs", the drastic difference in how effectively they were used made G2 just feel like a knockoff at times.

Baby Driver is boring. Vol 2 is loving perfect and actually made me feel something other than confusion as to why this highly stylized director made a film so devoid of everything that made their work interesting.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Baby Driver is boring. Vol 2 is loving perfect and actually made me feel something other than confusion as to why this highly stylized director made a film so devoid of everything that made their work interesting.

Hahahhahahahahhahahahahhaha

You have such terrible taste.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I will say Yondus funeral is the best part of the entire movie and I was really moved by it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Hahahhahahahahhahahahahhaha

You have such terrible taste.

But you like Man of Steel? How can this beee!!!!

Anyway, while I don't think the family died, it's still kind of odd there isn't a shot of them running away, or reacting to Superman saving them. That could've been a good moment.

I never noticed that before. It's kind of odd.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah my nipples

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I will say Yondus funeral is the best part of the entire movie and I was really moved by it.

James Gunn is too good for the MCU.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He fits perfectly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

How are you planning on releasing your BvS cut? I doubt youtube will consider it transformative enough to let it pass as fair use.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

How are you planning on releasing your BvS cut? I doubt youtube will consider it transformative enough to let it pass as fair use.

There are sketchy backchannels for these things.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The nerd hate makes a lot more sense when you find out they‘ve hallucinated entire scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The nerd hate makes a lot more sense when you find out they‘ve hallucinated entire scenes.

What, you don't remember Lois and Clark making out on the corpses of thousands of Kryptonian babies?

• Locked thread