Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

XK posted:

I get what people are doing with LTC. I still don't understand what ETH is for.

Trading cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

404: Your money could not be found.

(3 Stooges noises)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ETH: Let me run code on everyone else's computer, and also that code controls my money.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I can I cash out bitcoins for U.S. Dollars or trade them for something I can sell for U.S. Dollars?
Maybe a little? Or if you hold the butts directly you could sell them directly, though the transaction might take days to confirm.

If it's on an exchange, well:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bitcoin-exchange/cryptocurrency-exchanges-coinbase-bitfinex-down-idUSKBN1E620E

quote:

Wallet-provider Coinbase’s website showed “service unavailable” early on Tuesday U.S. time, flashing a message that said it was down for maintenance. Its exchange gdax.com was still quoting prices, although it also said it was experiencing a “minor service outage”.

Bitfinex, another cryptocurrency exchange, tweeted it was under heavy distributed denial of service (DDoS) and its application programing interface was down. bit.ly/2nRS0Xf

DDoS attacks have been common on the internet, using hijacked and virus-infected computers to target websites until they can no longer cope with the scale of data requested.

It was not immediately clear if the two incidents were related to any cyberattacks.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I had some change leftover from my Litecoin so put it into Ripple, even though the premise of that coin sounds the most stupid. Already up 30% on that too. :stare:

I like this buttcoin game 5/5 would play again

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Nessus posted:

Maybe a little? Or if you hold the butts directly you could sell them directly, though the transaction might take days to confirm.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bitcoin-exchange/cryptocurrency-exchanges-coinbase-bitfinex-down-idUSKBN1E620E

Does everyone logging on at once to try and cash out count as DDoS attack??

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

Does everyone logging on at once to try and cash out count as DDoS attack??
I'm quite sure it is nothing to worry about and is not pretty much what has happened before.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
ETH is actually the one closest to having a legitimate purpose. I mean, it fails in every way, but it's the closest in theory. Basically Bitcoin uses the blockchain to verify transactions, ETH uses it to run programming functions and verify them so if it wasn't utterly terrible it might be useful.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

ETH is actually the one closest to having a legitimate purpose. I mean, it fails in every way, but it's the closest in theory. Basically Bitcoin uses the blockchain to verify transactions, ETH uses it to run programming functions and verify them so if it wasn't utterly terrible it might be useful.

except so far it can't do anything interesting without an external trusted centralised source of data to trigger the programs, at which point why expose the risks of irreversible fuckups in experimental code

honest question

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

What does ETH do? I know it does contracts and calculations. But, what has it ever done of any value whatsoever, outside of getting stolen?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

XK posted:

What does ETH do? I know it does contracts and calculations. But, what has it ever done of any value whatsoever, outside of getting stolen?
I think this is more like "this animal waste could be used as feedstock for fertilizers in small quantities" vs. "it's just poo poo"

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

XK posted:

it's enabling "initial coin offerings" by easily producing "premined" tokens which is fueling a new funding method remarkably similar to an IPO for startups that don't exist yet but totally promise you some cool future poo poo like flying cars

https://mcfly.aero/token/

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Why would anyone want calculations done on an anonymous distributed network, where the calculation needs to be performed multiple countless times to ensure nobody is cheating? Even if the environment were perfect and infallible, and the program you wrote was impossibly flawless, why?

I get ETH less than any of the other cryptos.

I'm talking about legit reasons. Not schemes or cons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

XK posted:

Why would anyone want calculations done on an anonymous distributed network, where the calculation needs to be performed multiple countless times to ensure nobody is cheating? Even if the environment were perfect and infallible, and the program you wrote was impossibly flawless, why?

It's basically all for schemes and cons.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

XK posted:

it's shiney computer magic

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Stay poor nocoiners.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Bitcoin is so stagnant now. I think it may have hit its limit since the floor to get into it is now too high and you can make way bigger gains on altcoins.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Fanatic posted:

Bitcoin is so stagnant now. I think it may have hit its limit since the floor to get into it is now too high and you can make way bigger gains on altcoins.

Its up $764 in the past 24 hours. Lol stagnant.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Remember that DDOS of MasterCard and visa that happened on the same day?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AARO posted:

Stay poor nocoiners.
Could I interest you in GeneralProductsCoin? Two heads are better than one.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

AARO posted:

Stay poor nocoiners.

you sound like a grumpy heroin addict but with bitcoins

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

AARO posted:

Its up $764 in the past 24 hours. Lol stagnant.

That's still like <1% isn't it? :cheeky:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Fanatic posted:

That's still like only .5% :cheeky:

Oh im sorry...I didnt know you failed middle school math.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

AARO posted:

Oh im sorry...I didnt know you failed middle school math.
You changed that quote from saying <2% to 0.5% so I wouldn't exactly be calling any kettles black here.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Hoodwinker posted:

You changed that quote from saying <2% to 0.5% so I wouldn't exactly be calling any kettles black here.

Becuase thats what he originally wrote before he changed his post 3 times.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

AARO posted:

Becuase thats what he originally wrote before he changed his post 3 times.
That's funny because I saw your post update twice and his none times.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

AARO posted:

Stay poor nocoiners.

Man, bitcoin winners just get so upset at the losers. I wonder why.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Hoodwinker posted:

That's funny because I saw your post update twice and his none times.

You have a strange sense of humor.

Do you think im lying? I saw his change it from .5% to <2% to <1%.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

To be honest with you I'm surprised it hasn't leapt up real high again but I guess maybe there just isn't a ton of hunger for the drat things.

Now the real question is, which exchange will turn out to have been completely fake, as opposed to kind of fake?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

AARO posted:

You have a strange sense of humor.

Do you think im lying? I say his chsnge it from .5% to <2% to <1%.
If only we had our posts on the blockchain we could validate the ledger of your bad posting.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

My brain hasn't had caffeine yet is my excuse. :suicide:

Anyways my bold prediction: litecoin to pass ethereum next week.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Hoodwinker posted:

If only we had our posts on the blockchain we could validate the ledger of your bad posting.

If only I couldnt gently caress your mother for her going rate of $75 I wouldnt have aids.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Fanatic posted:

Anyways my bold prediction: litecoin to pass ethereum next week.

Rocket race.

I wonder if the noobs understand you can buy down to 0.01 BTC.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

wide stance posted:

Rocket race.

I wonder if the noobs understand you can buy down to 0.01 BTC.

Surely a worthwhile purchase with $20 transaction fees.

Like, bitcoin is such a non-functional system that your purchase of .01 BTC would have to increase by a full 25% before you would see any positive return whatsoever. That doesn't even include any fee your exchange chooses to tack on.

AARO posted:

If only I couldnt gently caress your mother for her going rate of $75 I wouldnt have aids.

SA's chief bitcoin investment analyst, everyone.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 13, 2017

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

XK posted:

One reason might be escrow without trusted third parties. Another might be your software continuing to run after your arrest.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Triglav posted:

One reason might be escrow without trusted third parties.

Except that wouldn't work, because you would still have to use a oracle to push data onto the chain in order to meet the conditions of your smart contract. This oracle is managed by, you guessed it, a trusted third party.

That also ignores that smart contracts only work with Ethereum funbucks, meaning the value of the funds you tossed into escrow could have crashed in the meantime.

Triglav posted:

Another might be your software continuing to run after your arrest.

Smart contracts are not capable of being "software" in the way we generally use that term.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nessus posted:

How do I sell them directly? And to who?

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

punk rebel ecks posted:

text them to your friends

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well, if it's anything like selling Legendaries on Diablo 2's closed servers......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

AARO posted:

Is the added thrill of paying hookers in bitcoin not knowing whether at the end you'll owe her a fifty or five grand?