Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Danger posted:

A film's job isn't to stoke enthusiasm for the next film (outside of Marvel movies, I guess).

Yeah, that's a really, REALLY bad criticism. I hate that we've gotten to the point where I NO EXCITED FOR NEXT MOVIE is seen as valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My takeaway from the reviews I've read is that there's at least one thing in TLJ that will really, really piss off some people, but no one has mentioned it specifically yet.

...Rian brought back midichlorians, didn't he. :can:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, that's a really, REALLY bad criticism. I hate that we've gotten to the point where I NO EXCITED FOR NEXT MOVIE is seen as valid.

People don't give a poo poo about whether or not a movie actually tells a story anymore, and it's depressing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
While a movie should absolutely stand on its own feet, a chapter in a trilogy does have at least some responsibility to lead to the next one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

poo poo’s fresh, yo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

poo poo’s fresh, yo.

Rotten Tomatoes is certainly an imperfect delivery system for mass reviews, but it's kind of one of the only options we have.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi/

As of this post, 138 reviews, 93% fresh. Lots of reviews praising specifically how gorgeous it is, and how people will be talking about the cinematography about as much as they talk about the story. Which would be interesting, if true, outside of CD.

Remember before reading reviews, though, there is no NDA, so anyone is allowed to say (spoil) anything they want.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

lelandjs posted:

AV Club's review had a slight, likely revealed early in the movie spoiler that I still wish I hadn't known going in.

I know. Finding out that Snoke is just a bunch of Porgs in a Snoke costume was a twist I wasn't expecting them to go with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not as surprising to me as a gruff and wizened Jar Jar's heroic takedown of Phasma!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RBA Starblade posted:

Not as surprising to me as a gruff and wizened Jar Jar's heroic takedown of Phasma!

The best part of the movie is when Captain Flasma crawls out of the dumpster.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought the part where a mortally wounded Luke transforms himself into a Yoda-type creature ("there's something I have to tell you, and this form requires less blood") before he dies was kind of strange

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Huh I didn't know goons were so into star wars arguments.

I read the threads a little before the first Rey one and I remember SMG arguing with everyone that the prequels we're good, I liked his posts cause the Christian anarchist deconstruction stuff is more fun to read than "it good. No it bad"
It seems like the prevailing thread opinion is they are good now which is a bit funny but nobody writes interesting posts anymore. (I don't like the prequels, I think they're boring but if you like them good for you. I loved TPM when I was a kid)

I didn't think much of the first new one, it was ok though, and didn't see rogue one, but I will probably see this one at some point maybe in cinemas or maybe disreputably

Namaste.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You should give R1 a peep.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This was sort of neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AWgzNfzRCk

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You should give R1 a peep.

Yea Rogue One was a breath of fresh air compared with the disappointment of TFA. Pretty much all due to the directors involved I’d wager.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Rogue One was solid. Without the stuff they reshot and with a better composer, it might've been great. As it is, it's a solid movie about the redshirts of the Rebellion.

Heaps better than TFA.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rogue 1 was a huge spastic mess with complete non characters. The most memorable sympathetic person in the whole movie was the fish Admiral.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Star Wars: The Next Generation spent too much of its effort on establishing a foundation for its sequels, at the expense of committing to more than a small number of ideas of its own. But that foundation is full of promise, and I don't find it at all implausible that Star Wars: We Ran Out Of Jedi takes advantage of it to turn out extremely good.

TFA is uniquely focused on its characters to the exclusion of everything else it could focus on. It suffers in particular from a vagueness about its setting; the stakes of the conflict are never established. This is noticeable even in the title crawl, which focuses on the conditions of people where all of Lucas' are mostly about the conditions of the galaxy. What is the most recent Star War about? What are they all fighting over? Unless you've seen the next one, it's a blank slate.

But, to its credit, that character orientation resulted in what I think is a very compelling core cast.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Rogue 1 was a huge spastic mess with complete non characters. The most memorable sympathetic person in the whole movie was the fish Admiral.

You're thinking of The Force Awakens.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

They're both really messy, ugly films that make for decent theater experiences but which hold up poorly upon rewatch or critical analysis.

Sorta the opposite of the prequels.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Film was great. Had a few dodgy bits in act 2 but overall I preferred it over TFA.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lelandjs posted:

My takeaway from the reviews I've read is that there's at least one thing in TLJ that will really, really piss off some people, but no one has mentioned it specifically yet.

...Rian brought back midichlorians, didn't he. :can:

I don't really like the prequels, but I love a lot of the ideas in the prequels so I really hope its something like this because haha that would be great.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

But, to its credit, that character orientation resulted in what I think is a very compelling core cast.

I’d agree with this for most of the new characters, except for Finn. John Boyega is charismatic and engaging, but his character’s backstory and ostensible life history seems completely incongruous with his goofy everyman persona. It’s as though the writers decided one of the characters should be a former child soldier and then completely forgot about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoran posted:

I’d agree with this for most of the new characters, except for Finn. John Boyega is charismatic and engaging, but his character’s backstory and ostensible life history seems completely incongruous with his goofy everyman persona. It’s as though the writers decided one of the characters should be a former child soldier and then completely forgot about it.

Finn is a very deceptive person. He has been given an opportunity to decide his identity from scratch, and his first instinct is always to play the gallant hero and deny his origins. But that's not who he is. He follows Rey around like a lost puppy and tells whatever lie it's necessary to get a shot at staying near her, even if it means the rest of the galaxy will get hosed. He's terribly afraid of most everything.

Finn picks up a lightsaber and tries to be Luke or Anakin, then gets the poo poo beaten out of him every time. He puts on the Designated Protagonist Jacket that he inherited from the debonair and cocksure Poe, but he's neither daring nor a pilot. He is still a child soldier and a rather myopic one at that, but he always carries himself like he's anything else. I don't think there's a contradiction there, but, like so much else in that movie, his arc in Episode 7 is all setup.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I mean Star Wars has always done the political message wrapped in children’s book thing. Like

Star Wars: fun space wizards and the Viet Cong were ethically obligated to fight western imperialism.

RotJ: cute Ewoks awwww the well intentioned rebellion is just another face of the empire and will exploit the subaltern

Prequels: funny slapstick frog jester and liberalism is the foundation of fascism.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It sounds from the reviews I've read that Johnson isn't afraid to get weird, which is what I want to hear. I've been thinking recently about what it is exactly that's appealing about Star Wars and how that relates to the new movies, and a big part of it is the sense that the universe is a near-infinite canvas. I mean, the first film of the series is a sci-fi fantasy samurai Western war movie, and I think the best Star Wars movies (and even EU) recognize that the franchise is at its best when it's expanding on that weird mish-mash and pushing into new territory. It's a tremendously adaptable franchise, capable of telling a wide variety of stories, themes, characters, and settings while still having whatever that common thread is that makes it Star Wars and not some other franchise. And that's a thing that I think R1 got and TFA didn't, and everything I've heard about Johnson and TLJ makes me hope/think that he got it too.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't see what's so compelling about the new cast. I mean, Finn and Kylo are at least sort of an interesting subversion of stuff from the other films, but Rey is just "Luke but better" and Poe is just "charming pilot guy obligated to be in the movie because people said the lack of that kind of character is what made the prequels bad". It sounds like the latter may change a bit with the new movie, but not the former.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The humble Clone Wars cartoon carried that omnivorous genre pastiche spirit admirably far. They had kaiju, they had spy thriller, they had submarine warfare, they had slapstick comedy, they had heist, they even had a Seven Samurai remake.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

Huh I didn't know goons were so into star wars arguments.

It is literally all this thread is, and all the thread before it was, and the successor to this thread will be the same.

Pro tip: pick any day at random in this thread, look at the posts for that day. Then go back exactly one year in the thread and look (if you go far enough back you may have to look in the archived thread)

It's very often the same people arguing about the exact same things, 365 days later. it goes on and on and on like this and it is a loving scream.

e: I guess both of the old threads are in the archives now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

nopantsjack posted:

I read the threads a little before the first Rey one and I remember SMG arguing with everyone that the prequels we're good, I liked his posts cause the Christian anarchist deconstruction stuff is more fun to read than "it good. No it bad"
It seems like the prevailing thread opinion is they are good now which is a bit funny but nobody writes interesting posts anymore. (I don't like the prequels, I think they're boring but if you like them good for you. I loved TPM when I was a kid)

Christian radical. But yeah, the trouble is that I’ve covered basically everything. Like I could write more about individual background characters or something, but it’d be a bit redundant.

TFA, on the other hand, is not a even a real film. Like, its fans actually tune out the narrative, because it’s a shambles, and just imagine Poe and FN kissing eachother. I’ve gone into a few specific examples already, but the entire film is like that. There’s not much to gain from analyzing it. And since there will no longer be any ~~~mysteries~~~, fans themselves have already started to turn on it. They can no longer rely on the belief that TFA will be fixed retroactively, with enough supplementary material. They are being confronted with the fact that it is a broken film.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 13, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Christian radical. But yeah, the trouble is that I’ve covered basically everything. Like I could write more about individual background characters or something, but it’d be a bit redundant.

TFA, on the other hand, is not a even a real film. Like, its fans actually tune out the narrative, because it’s a shambles, and just imagine Poe and FN kissing eachother. I’ve gone into a few specific examples already, but the entire film is like that. There’s not much to gain from analyzing it. And since there will no longer be any ~~~mysteries~~~, fans themselves have already started to turn on it. They can no longer rely on the belief that TFA will be fixed retroactively, with enough supplementary material. They are being confronted with the fact that it is a broken film.

Will you talk about TLJ? I liked your scathing views on TFA.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I watched TFA again last night and yea it really is just vacuous. I liken it to an experience I had in the late 90s playing my like Day of defeat or something online and feeling really good until I started suspecting and confirm that I’ve been playing with bots the entire time. I don’t know why that memory sticks out but it’s the same feeling.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Danger posted:

I watched TFA again last night and yea it really is just vacuous.

The plot was so bad it had me pining for the prequels.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Danger posted:

I watched TFA again last night and yea it really is just vacuous. I liken it to an experience I had in the late 90s playing my like Day of defeat or something online and feeling really good until I started suspecting and confirm that I’ve been playing with bots the entire time. I don’t know why that memory sticks out but it’s the same feeling.

That's the exact feeling I had playing Day of Defeat...

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I still maintain that TFA was held aloft by ~~likable characters~~ and some drat fine cinematography and action sequences.

Shame that it has the worst script out of all the SW movies.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I dunno TFA had this weird mixture of trying to ape the look of ANH/Empire in some sequences and then looking like any other modern digital blockbuster at other times

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

KaptainKrunk posted:

I dunno TFA had this weird mixture of trying to ape the look of ANH/Empire in some sequences and then looking like any other modern digital blockbuster at other times

Meh, I dunno I recall it looking decent but I also haven't seen it for two years now.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

KaptainKrunk posted:

Yeah I remember it as just really uneven visually.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It lacked George Lucas' restrained and relatively static camera work. I like to joke that this is because the narrator of most Star Warses is R2-D2, who is a tripod, whereas the narrator of Star Wars: The Next Generation is BB-8, who rolls around unstably.

Another stylistic difference is how the actors were directed to emote far more strongly (and more naturalistically) than is typical for the series. The dialog was more colloquial, also. Even John Williams' score is less melodic; Rey's theme is a clear exception to that, but even the next standout melody, the First Order theme, is all augmented chords and ornamentation. It's the most "Hollywood" of the series, handily surpassing the previous record-holder, The Empire Strikes Back.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 13, 2017

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the midpoint where rey and fin are at the jedi bar planet or whatever the gently caress and they talk to the derivative cg yoda and the first order arrives and fin gets taken out by one storm trooper etc., is where the movie really loving sags. a lot of necessary plotting is awkwardly jammed into that one extended setpiece and none of it is compelling or interesting. also the whole plot contrivance where fin gets separated from poe only for poe to appear again is bizarre and stilted and i like nothing about it. a lot of the plot mechanics and character types beyond this are pretty derivative but i'm mostly OK with TFA otherwise.

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/940839982620663809