Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Neat idea to use the rubber o-rings as a friction drive. I'll bet that's like a hundred times quieter than a geartrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Sagebrush posted:

Neat idea to use the rubber o-rings as a friction drive. I'll bet that's like a hundred times quieter than a geartrain.

Truth be told I couldn't work out first principle planetary gear drives from first principles while stoned and sleep deprived

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Well, I really, really like the results when the PETG prints well. But if there is any bit of plastic on the nozzle, any plastic that then comes out of the nozzle can catch on it and start balling up. And I can't keep it from oozing, it oozes when the extruder is just sitting there, it stops oozing only when I drop the temp down to 215C. So it makes it really hard to print with PLA; when it's just printing the model part with PETG, and continuously laying plastic, it works alright, but the moment it switches to do supports with PLA, the PETG extruder starts to ooze. Then it's just a matter of time before the print fails.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Listerine posted:

Well, I really, really like the results when the PETG prints well. But if there is any bit of plastic on the nozzle, any plastic that then comes out of the nozzle can catch on it and start balling up. And I can't keep it from oozing, it oozes when the extruder is just sitting there, it stops oozing only when I drop the temp down to 215C. So it makes it really hard to print with PLA; when it's just printing the model part with PETG, and continuously laying plastic, it works alright, but the moment it switches to do supports with PLA, the PETG extruder starts to ooze. Then it's just a matter of time before the print fails.

Unrelated to this but is your av text about the postmodern Chicago architecture group in the 70s?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mofabio posted:

Unrelated to this but is your av text about the postmodern Chicago architecture group in the 70s?

Nope, my avatar is an image I did for an exquisite corpse activity I did here on the forums maybe ten years ago.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm doing a 30cm long wall st bull for an Xmas present.

It's taking for-ev-ev-ever because 0.3 resolution and tree supports.

I'm going to sand it down and buy some bronze corrosives spray paint so that it looks like the real thing

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

In the process of 3D printing stuff I'm finding that I need a lot of M3/M3.5/M4 machine screws of varying lengths along with nuts and small self tapping screws to hold things together.

Does anybody know of anywhere that sells decent useful selection boxes of both of the above?. I'm in the UK, so UK based or Chinese places are going to work best for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never seen an M3.5 screw. That's a weird one.

For M3 and M4 I bought a big sack of like 200 Mwhatever x 30mm long socket head screws from Amazon and then I cut them shorter with a hacksaw when need one. If you thread a nut on first, you can chase the threads with it after cutting by screwing it off. I do it this fairly insane way because I'm cheap.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm heartbroken chaps

Just had a min temp error 35 hours into a 39 hour print.

And now I need to replace the heater cartridge ( and hopefully just that)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sagebrush posted:

I've never seen an M3.5 screw. That's a weird one.

For M3 and M4 I bought a big sack of like 200 Mwhatever x 30mm long socket head screws from Amazon and then I cut them shorter with a hacksaw when need one. If you thread a nut on first, you can chase the threads with it after cutting by screwing it off. I do it this fairly insane way because I'm cheap.

A lot of wire strippers have holes around the hinge for shearing small screws. They work very well. Electricians use them for shortening wall plate screws and such.

Hey it’s even got m2.5 and 3.5.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 12, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

eddiewalker posted:

A lot of wire strippers have holes around the hinge for shearing small screws. They work very well. Electricians use them for shortening wall plate screws and such.

:aaaaa: I never noticed this. Mine are probably too cheap to have those though, I should check them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh poo poo, is THAT what those holes are for?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Hey it’s even got m2.5 and 3.5.

Pro-tip: Put a nut on before you cut it with these(or really anything).

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
More pro tip. If you thread it in from the threaded side through the cutting hole it cleans the threads when you unscrew it.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I can't remember who asked me to post about trying PLA with PETG, but after fiddling around a bit I've had better success using PETG for the support material and PLA for the model itself.

I tried printing this weird object to see how it did with an organic shape with overhang and supports between different bits. A blob of PETG on the corner of the prime pillar caused the hot end to drag and dislodge the prime pillar itself, so I stopped the print, but otherwise everything was working out well. The PLA prints fine on the PETG, and the two plastics separate well.

As for the blob, my printer is extruding too much plastic at the start of a loop. It happens randomly- not at the start of every loop. I don't have it set to do that anywhere and can't figure out why it's happening now, and it seems like too much for simply moving filament back after a retraction.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

helno posted:

More pro tip. If you thread it in from the threaded side through the cutting hole it cleans the threads when you unscrew it.

One of the sides is threaded?!?

:psyduck: :piss:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Anet a4 delta is 180 on gearbest. Tempted

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How hot can PLA and ABS get before they start having structural problems? I've got access to a few printers and I wanna start making stuff for the cab of my car. Trouble is, I live in Orlando; I've seen 150F on a vent thermometer on hot days where the heat builds up.

The big fancy printer at my school uses ABS which I'm sure is the better choice, but it's in an engineering lab/makerspace so the queue tends to be days, sometimes weeks long. My buddy has an Anet A8 that prints PLA so that's my backup plan.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

In the process of 3D printing stuff I'm finding that I need a lot of M3/M3.5/M4 machine screws of varying lengths along with nuts and small self tapping screws to hold things together.

Does anybody know of anywhere that sells decent useful selection boxes of both of the above?. I'm in the UK, so UK based or Chinese places are going to work best for me.

Toolstation. I believe they also sell the janky pre-weakened snap-off bolts that you can easily shorten to length 5mm less than you wanted

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hey guys, I'm having to update my firmware to change the thermistor settings. This is my first dive into firmware of any sort and I'm a little overwhelmed.

I get that I need copy my printers settings into the Arduino IDE , then alter them as needed and flash the new firmware.

I think Marlin firmware already has a preconfigured CR10 profile that should be easy enough to alter and then flash but I can't open it in the Arduino IDE.

Can someone point me to the most hand holding guide for altering firmware.

I had a look at Tom Sanlander's video and it was still a little above me(as I said, first firmware dive)

Thankyou kind goons :)

Edit: pounding my head here but I've sort of internalized the firmware as similar to an .ini file

I realised I can copy paste from wordpad to the IDE so I'm a stupid dumb head

Thanks guys for reading. I need to flash a bootloader to my printer so getting my hands on an Arduino Uno stat.

Jestery fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 12, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mister Sinewave posted:

One of the sides is threaded?!?

:psyduck: :piss:

LOL. Today is your Menthos and Diet Coke day. Yes, one side is threaded. Thread the bolt into that side first, and keep going through the unthreaded side until the length you want is in the middle. Snap the bolt off, and as you unscrew it, the threads will get reformed. Enjoy!

As for hardware, I wanted quality stuff, not Chinese garbage, so I ordered a bunch of sizes and lengths from McMaster Carr here in the US. Dunno if you have something comparable, but an industrial supply company is what you're looking for.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jestery posted:

Can someone point me to the most hand holding guide for altering firmware.

The most important thing you want to do is grab the settings from the current firmware. I think the g-code is M503.

Run that cmd on the existing firmware and save the output somewhere because the steps/mm is prob the #1 important value to plug into the marlin Configuration.h

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Enourmo posted:

How hot can PLA and ABS get before they start having structural problems? I've got access to a few printers and I wanna start making stuff for the cab of my car. Trouble is, I live in Orlando; I've seen 150F on a vent thermometer on hot days where the heat builds up.

The big fancy printer at my school uses ABS which I'm sure is the better choice, but it's in an engineering lab/makerspace so the queue tends to be days, sometimes weeks long. My buddy has an Anet A8 that prints PLA so that's my backup plan.

I have printed a dashcam mount and a novelty shift knob out of PLA and had them in my car for a few months. Both are significantly warped now.

Not sure if any of the treating techniques would have changed that, but my experience so far says PLA is not great for automotive use.

I do have a black car though so I have sort of a worst case scenario.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can bend PLA like spaghetti after putting it in hot water. It sticks to a bed at like 50C.

PETG and ABS should be fine though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had an ABS shift knob in my VW bus (so, no AC) in Phoenix (so, hot) for two years and it held up just fine. PLA isn't appropriate for cars.

I also printed ABS dash cam window mounts, one in regular black ABS and one in "conductive" (ie: graphite impregnated) ABS. The "conductive" ABS held up better in the sun, but that may be due to how I parked and how one was a rear and one was a front das cam.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
The plastic trim pieces in your car are typically abs.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

sharkytm posted:

LOL. Today is your Menthos and Diet Coke day. Yes, one side is threaded. Thread the bolt into that side first, and keep going through the unthreaded side until the length you want is in the middle. Snap the bolt off, and as you unscrew it, the threads will get reformed. Enjoy!

As for hardware, I wanted quality stuff, not Chinese garbage, so I ordered a bunch of sizes and lengths from McMaster Carr here in the US. Dunno if you have something comparable, but an industrial supply company is what you're looking for.

Holy poo poo i was about to buy some of those auto adjusting strippers but maybe I should just upgrade my normal strippers instead

My current pair just has holes for stripping smaller and larger wires than the teeth can handle

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Enourmo posted:

peepsalot posted:

Don't leave your PLA printed parts in the car

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peepsalot posted:

Don't leave your PLA printed parts in the car

:chanpop:
lmaooooooooooooo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It works just fine, but it prints everything in italics.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Is the Prusa i3 mk2s a solid choice for someones first 3d printer? Playing the litecoin game has made me enough to basically get the mk2s or if I hold off another day or two probably enough for the mk3 for essentially free.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mattfl posted:

Is the Prusa i3 mk2s a solid choice for someones first 3d printer? Playing the litecoin game has made me enough to basically get the mk2s or if I hold off another day or two probably enough for the mk3 for essentially free.

mk2s = Yes
mk3 = Yes

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes and it's what I was going to originally buy. If you're looking for something cheaper, I went with the CR-10 to start our due to it's low entry price. We've ran it ~ 10-15 hours a day for the last two weeks printing xmas related stuff and it's been overall solid. I'll probably order a MK3 once the backlog of orders clears out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome, thanks guys!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm ordering the Mk3 to supplement my monoprice maker ultimate. And the multi material upgrade.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I'm ordering the Mk3 to supplement my monoprice maker ultimate. And the multi material upgrade.

I have been waiting for feedback on material usage before placing my order and after this came out, I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger yet. The pure waste ratio is just beyond excessive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnOWX4Ujtv8&t=656s

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

the spyder posted:

I have been waiting for feedback on material usage before placing my order and after this came out, I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger yet. The pure waste ratio is just beyond excessive.

They're working on making the material change happen during infill (obviously not for support material) so that should cut down on waste.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

mewse posted:

The most important thing you want to do is grab the settings from the current firmware. I think the g-code is M503.

Run that cmd on the existing firmware and save the output somewhere because the steps/mm is prob the #1 important value to plug into the marlin Configuration.h

Roger that, waiting on an Arduino clone

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Yeah... that's an issue. The cost of filament isn't nothing, and the waste is concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I still love Proto-pasta Stardust.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 13, 2017