Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hirayuki posted:

But Polish kapusta (sauerkraut soup sans prunes) is good! Maybe prunes just ruin everything. :(

I think it's the prunes, because Lithuanian raugintu kopustai (sauerkraut and fresh cabbage soup) is one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten in my life. Also a Christmas Eve dish.

I am not a great cook, but I am a pretty reliable cook. One of the few culinary disasters of my marriage was when I tried to make raugintu kopustai. In true sitcom fashion, we wound up going out for pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Who in the gently caress has a bowl of soup and thinks hey, this could use a prune garnish

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Who in the gently caress has a bowl of soup and thinks hey, this could use a prune garnish

Someone with no garnishes except prunes.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Worf, stop loving with the replicator, jesus christ

A true warrior's whip!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

I'd say it dates back to the time when anything even vaguely sweet and rich-tasting was a massive treat so plonking a prune in the soup was like flashing your diamond-studded watch at the plebs.

See also solid black licorice and parma violets.

(or it's a religious metaphor - Jesus walked on water just as this prune floats in the soup)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pookah posted:

(or it's a religious metaphor - Jesus walked on water just as this prune floats in the soup)

Jesus is the reason for the seasoning.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

Our Lord and Savioury.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

But Polish kapusta (sauerkraut soup sans prunes) is good! Maybe prunes just ruin everything. :(

It's kapuśniak :) And I think that you might be up to something as I find prune soup terrible - just look at it:

Never had one with sauerkraut as well though

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Brawnfire posted:

Pookah posted:

Our Lord and Savioury.

:golfclap:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

So...it is too good to be true?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I don't trust any food that "keeps indefinitely with no refrigeration".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Not a fan of sugar or salt I see.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

explains why you get all het up about candy

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Are pies in tins not a thing in the US? They are old school junk food in Ireland and Britain. Not fruity mince pies, just meaty ones.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Forget mince, I want a sausage pie.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not a fan of sugar or salt I see.
Those aren't foods, those are ingredients.

Elizabethan Error posted:

explains why you get all het up about candy
No, the diabetes explains that. :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pookah posted:

Are pies in tins not a thing in the US? They are old school junk food in Ireland and Britain. Not fruity mince pies, just meaty ones.

Not since the mid 20th century, no. That's a US ad, but canned pie isn't easy to find here nowadays.

Edit to add: Frozen chicken pot pie is pretty popular, though.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Dec 12, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah, we're all about frozen pot pies, presumably because they feel less sketchy than meat pie in a can(or "piepan can" as the ad keeps calling it for some reason). Probably taste better, too.

Also because we generally don't have meat pies as often as the Brits seem to.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/KelemenCari/status/834941984674557952

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

They do that at an extremely unpretentious BBQ joint out here, too.

I think it comes down to price.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One day I will walk into a restaurant and they will toss a burger and fries into a paint can and put it into a paint shaker, then serve it to me without even the slightest hint of irony. I'm assuming this will cost me hundreds of dollars.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And evenwhen it comes to a dumb food trend like this the Trump version looks cheap and halfassed and like the cargo cult version of the real thing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I ordered shrimp at a sea food place and the waitress was carrying them to the table in a metal bucket, I thought ugh they are serving it in a bucket. She then dumped the bucket of shrimp and fries on the table in front of me.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

My Lovely Horse posted:

And evenwhen it comes to a dumb food trend like this the Trump version looks cheap and halfassed and like the cargo cult version of the real thing.

No, see, it's fancy! Look at the clothespins, they're new. Not like the old burned up ones that the other place is using.

When you're rich, you can afford to spend money on things like that. :smuggo:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

JEEVES420 posted:

I ordered shrimp at a sea food place and the waitress was carrying them to the table in a metal bucket, I thought ugh they are serving it in a bucket. She then dumped the bucket of shrimp and fries on the table in front of me.
My family does what we call a shrimp boil, and that is actually how it's supposed to be served.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I had a dream that I was in like a sams club/costco type store and was buying junkfood snacks and they had like... Cheetos flaming hot mini taquitos. In my dream im pretty sure they were filled with slim jim style BLP (beef like product). Never have I wanted to try something so bad that I would regret immediately after.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Milo and POTUS posted:

I had a dream that I was in like a sams club/costco type store and was buying junkfood snacks and they had like... Cheetos flaming hot mini taquitos. In my dream im pretty sure they were filled with slim jim style BLP (beef like product). Never have I wanted to try something so bad that I would regret immediately after.

Buy some Takis and stuff cut up bits of Slim Jim into them. Live your dream.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, that sounds like something you could make on your own.

If you really want the Costco experience, get one of their hot dogs and mix it up in there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Never been to a costco, aren't there dogs actually pretty good? I think it violates the spirit of the thing. Besides, I actually like slim jims because I'm loving insane.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

This is kapustnica, a traditional Christmas dish that my Slovak grandmother used to make, and which I will be making this year. It's a sauerkraut soup with prunes.
One of my favorite parts of Christmas. In addition to sauerkraut and prunes my Slovak grandmother included browned pork and caraway seed. Maybe mushrooms too, my memory’s hazy.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And the cycle of boring eaters repeats itself.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Canned pie chat.
Reminded me I've had this in my pantry for like 6 years now.

One of these days I'm gonna be stoned in a foodless house and I'll eat that fucker

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why not... today?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

the canned dick isn't awful

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Prune chat: I made a butternut squash and lentil stew with caramelised onions and prunes the other day, prunes can be good in a savoury dish

I should have taken a photo of it really cos it was definitely not much to look at

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Eat the dick!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's even microwavable dick, so laziness is no excuse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok. Not tonight, but I'll do it this weekend probably. Trip report to come.