Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You guys are gonna enjoy the evolving party personal dynamic. The whole game is very well written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I knew she was gonna die (don't know anything about the game, just know death flags when I see them) but Jesus Christ.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
So, does "Glory's Armoured Vest" refer to her tiny black bandeau, or the pullover tied around her waist? :v:

Those arms are pretty loving rad though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The artistic choice for monika's portraits was on the spot.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I do have to ask what's up with her weird giant collar though.

But now it's too late. :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Yeah, I still find her messed up portrait a little hard to look at.

They do a good job establishing the overall tone of the game right away, namely that we're in for an overall darker story but also one with more humorous and lighthearted moments compared to DMS.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Groetgaffel posted:

So, does "Glory's Armoured Vest" refer to her tiny black bandeau, or the pullover tied around her waist? :v:

Those arms are pretty loving rad though.

As cringe worthy as female armor is, Glory can honestly wear whatever the hell she pleases since she is clearly cybered to the gills and her entire upper body is almost certainly steel and composite ceramics.

I like her overall design, but I'm not a fan of the boob window with giant collar.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Fighting Trousers posted:

I do have to ask what's up with her weird giant collar though.

But now it's too late. :(

Fashion statement.

A lot better than SR:HK. Way to many fedoras on some portraits.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Well, that was certainly an introduction to the game.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
One helluva introduction, and it only gets better from here on, I feel.

That said,

Someone really likes dragon statues. Two here, two north-east, probably others elsewhere I missed. Or are that more around these pillars? Gee.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Kanfy posted:

They do a good job establishing the overall tone of the game right away, namely that we're in for an overall darker story but also one with more humorous and lighthearted moments compared to DMS.

The story is what sold me on Dragonfall.
I still haven't finished the game and the bits I spoilered to myself are falling nicely into place.
Even with all my criticism I still believe I'll buy HK when I'm done.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Welp. I don't think DocWagon is going to help here. :stonklol:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Usual DocWagon fine print says they get to keep your salvageable parts, so i'm sure they'll be here to nab anything not her head

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Recycling is important. Ware and organs can be reused and flesh and blood can be sold to ghouls and vampires etc.

Lynneth posted:

Someone really likes dragon statues. Two here, two north-east, probably others elsewhere I missed. Or are that more around these pillars? Gee.
Huh, I never noticed that.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 13, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yep. DF is a better game in every way than its predecessor and one of these ways is in hitting the ground firing on all cylinders.

So human mage won out, then? I suppose I can't be too disappointed, the party does need a mage and there are these cool asides that can happen, as with every class... but I still kinda would rather have been one of the other races, like a dwarf or an ork. Suppose it comes with watching all those late 80s- early 90s cartoons- gotta hit all the continents and major colors, maybe even a wheelchair kid or two, or how can our powers combine?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Edit: Removing DDLC spoilers.

That was a pretty brutal way to go, but it does prevent us from joining questionable literature clubs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Poil posted:

Recycling is important. Ware and organs can be reused and flesh and blood can be sold to ghouls and vampires etc.

There's a bounty on vampires literally everywhere, but Asmando is always buying.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It has begun!

Monika is so instantly likeable, the writers did a great job with her. In the tiny sequence, we see so much of her. Mischievous, competent, charismatic, it's not hard to see why she's leading this party.

Glory, by the way, can also go gunslinger. She has about the same stats in Quickness/Pistols that she does in Strength/Close Combat. If that's how you want to use her, that is.

Y'know, I could never quite figure out how to use Dietrich, mostly because I've never figured out how to use support classes. Usually, I just keep him around back, hasting my character, who keeps bashing the full-auto skill. His knife skills always seemed to have too little accuracy to be much use. Or the dice don't like me.

But yeah, Monika is definitely dead. We only get her for the opening sequence. Fabulous art though. This sort of thing will be used in a few different places for other characters.

The UI is different in Dragonfall. They show all of your offensive weapons on the left side now (rather than you having to scroll through one-by-one to see what weapons you have), and your skills, inventory and spells are in a similar wheel on the right. It looks a lot more streamlined.

Cover mechanics are also much improved. I don't remember there being flanking in DMS.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lynneth posted:

This is just speculation, but when I saw all the dragon statues in the place after the dialogue about this being quick and easy I assumed we were tricked into trying to steal from a dragon.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

painedforever posted:

Glory, by the way, can also go gunslinger. She has about the same stats in Quickness/Pistols that she does in Strength/Close Combat. If that's how you want to use her, that is.

Y'know, I could never quite figure out how to use Dietrich, mostly because I've never figured out how to use support classes. Usually, I just keep him around back, hasting my character, who keeps bashing the full-auto skill. His knife skills always seemed to have too little accuracy to be much use. Or the dice don't like me.

Which is a serious problem for Glory on any difficulty higher than normal. Her stats are so spread out that her accuracy is beyond bad and pretty much needs Dietrich just to get it tolerable. As such I almost never use her. I mean, the AP bonus is nice but it doesn't do much good when she can't hit the broad side of a barn at point-blank range. I would have been much happier with her if they had just dropped her pistol skill entirely.

Her dialogue is also pretty bland (which is fitting I admit).

And that's also pretty much how you're supposed to use dietrich. He doesn't have the combat stats to actually DO combat, but he's great in helping others do combat better. If there's no support to be done, you're probably in a fight that's long/hard enough that pulling out a summon might be worth doing rather than trying to use his sub-par combat skills.

He does have a decent AoE attack spell though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 13, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

It has begun!

Monika is so instantly likeable, the writers did a great job with her. In the tiny sequence, we see so much of her. Mischievous, competent, charismatic, it's not hard to see why she's leading this party.

Good enough a trick to start with, but she's also clearly not The Perfect Mentor like early sacrifices tend to be. The group has tensions she's not got entirely handled, she got sloppy a few times, she's basically flawed and human, like anyone else.

It's really rare for a game to get any real use from someone biting it in the tutorial mission, but Dragonfall manages.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
So of all the new Shadowrun games, this is the only one I ever owned. (I think I actually picked up the other couple of them on Steam sale, but in any case this is the only one I ever played.) Having read and enjoyed Kanfy's excellent DMS LP, I now wonder if I should play this one myself rather than just follow it on the LP.

Due to my love of falling down wiki holes, I have been spoiled on some of the major story beats in this one anyway - so it's not like I'm going to miss anything not seeing it myself (except to the extent that it is perhaps better to see it in person). I got to about this far and then gave up due to my general lack of modern SR knowledge. I beat the SNES and Genesis games, but ... well, there's a big difference between winning one of those and one of these, yes?

What do you folks think?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

David Corbett posted:

So of all the new Shadowrun games, this is the only one I ever owned. (I think I actually picked up the other couple of them on Steam sale, but in any case this is the only one I ever played.) Having read and enjoyed Kanfy's excellent DMS LP, I now wonder if I should play this one myself rather than just follow it on the LP.

Due to my love of falling down wiki holes, I have been spoiled on some of the major story beats in this one anyway - so it's not like I'm going to miss anything not seeing it myself (except to the extent that it is perhaps better to see it in person). I got to about this far and then gave up due to my general lack of modern SR knowledge. I beat the SNES and Genesis games, but ... well, there's a big difference between winning one of those and one of these, yes?

What do you folks think?

Go ahead and play this yourself. Kanfy did an amazing job on DMS and will doubtless do so again, but nothing beats playing an RPG for yourself and picking your own choices and builds. This is actually set in the same general time period as the SNES and Genesis games so it should feel pretty familiar.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
If you're going to start out, doing DF or HK is not a bad starting point. I usually point people to DMS just to get a taste, and also because going backwards is just painful. Have fun running the shadows!

As for our dear leader, yea, Black ICE is suppose to be banned by the equivalent of the Geneva Convention in the Sixth World, but like a WAREZ version of Photoshop, there's a million copies that have been leaked out, modified, and in general if you got the money you got some heavy hardware protecting your stuff.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ouch.

Well then. Game over, I guess.

Death probably is part and parcel of the package that is Shadow Running.

I'm a little curious to what actually happened to her, but we'll see.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glory is awesome. Even as the team medic. She can AP Boost herself (it lasts for multiple turns, not just one) and is great to have as a healer. Also she's fun due o the razorclaws.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

David Corbett posted:

Play it, man. It's not as polished as Dragonfall, and you're already spoiled on the story, but I think it's great. Kanfy showed us how to dominate with a Rigger, you can go a different way. If you want to go easy-mode, you can go dedicated ranged. If you want to challenge yourself, go mage. If you like giving the computer a chance, play adept. But honestly, the world-building is fantastic.

I've just started reading William Gibson's books (I plead ignorance and stupidity in equal portions for not having read them before), and DMS feels the way Neuromancer does. Dragonfall pushes you into the deep-end right off, but DMS eases you in, feeding you the universe in bite-sized chunks; here's what it's like to be SINless, here's what the gangs are like, here's what the city looks like, here's what the bars are like, here's fixers, here's teams, here's how to shadowrun. I think it's wonderful.

By the way, someone here mentioned that they were running SR on the mobile phone? It's $2.99, I think. I'm tempted to buy it, even though I have it on PC, and I practically never game on my phone.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I'm a little curious to what actually happened to her, but we'll see.

She got her brain fried by the security. The disadvantage of hacking into a computer with your mind is that good enough security will actually give you brain damage.

Now, admittedly, that raises the question of why in the hell a mansion in the middle of nowhere that's supposed to not have any particularly difficult security has the kind of anti-hacker countermeasures that corporate special black sites use. But, as said, that's a different question.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Although it's worth noting that even Black Ice usually won't launch a pretty good decker back and make blood start exploding out of her ears. That's...special.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's two types of intrusion countermeasures: there's white IC, which attacks your deck, and black IC, which attacks your brain. This only kills you if you're jacked in via direct neural interface and hot simulation (which cranks the output way up to give you faster reflexes) but if you want to compete with the raw computing power of intrusion countermeasures you need to be in hot sim.

Another Decker can attack you using the same methods black IC does as well, if you're both jacked in. An on-site Decker who's a member of the security staff is called a Spider. They may not be as skilled as a runner, but they have admin access.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just how good is the average Runner? Eiger being ex-special forces seems to be a rarity. Are they mostly specially trained? Ex corporate security, career criminals, etc?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Night10194 posted:

Just how good is the average Runner? Eiger being ex-special forces seems to be a rarity. Are they mostly specially trained? Ex corporate security, career criminals, etc?

I'm not too well-versed on the SR universe, but I think it'd run the gamut. Sometimes, you might have some runaway trying to survive, other times it might be some idle rich moron trying to slum it in the most dangerous way possible, and others you might be up against some disgraced Spec Forces dude taking big risks to make the big bucks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The main problem with Glory (and melee characters in general, though I never really played any) is that the game has a limited number of actions per combat turn, rather than a limited number of action points. So you can't order Glory to run to a specific point next to an enemy and attack from there - you either waste two separate actions or you rely on her AI. And I'm pretty sure the AI doesn't even make any tactical considerations when attacking in melee, merely plotting the quickest route to the target.

Such an easy thing to fix, as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Most runners aren't doing it as their first job, they're doing it as their second or third after they got out of something else. In tabletop terms, the average established runner (a new player character, with a couple of runs under their belt that didn't kill them) rolls 10-14 dice to do something they're good at, whereas a rent-a-cop rolls maybe 6. Runners are a scary prospect for most people - for example, they can blender their way through the average street gang without much effort.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Glory is awesome. Even as the team medic. She can AP Boost herself (it lasts for multiple turns, not just one) and is great to have as a healer. Also she's fun due o the razorclaws.

IIRC the claws pop people out of cover. Glory runs up to someone and scratches them, then a teammate unloads with an AR.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm in the endgame missions and glory still kinda sucks :smith:
I suspect that the only move if you're playing at very hard difficulty would be to never use her or Deitrich.

Also my riflewoman build feels overpowered at hard difficulty.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 13, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just being a guy or gal that's real dang good with a gun is very potent in Dragonfall, yeah. Dietrich is extremely valuable for his haste spell alone, but you can also get a lot of really good mileage out of him doing summons. It's hard to overstate the value of giving the enemy something else to shoot at instead of you.

Things that modify AP in general (mostly spells iirc) are all very good in general and where I found magic users to really excel.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Glory was my workhorse. She's just fast as all hell. I'd send her running all the way across the screen to slash up enemy shamans while they were trying to summon things.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm in the endgame missions and glory still kinda sucks :smith:
I suspect that the only move if you're playing at very hard difficulty would be to never use her or Deitrich.

Also my riflewoman build feels overpowered at hard difficulty.

nah, having a chance to pop enemies out of cover so you can easily gun them down is good. As are the ability to toss yourself free ap and coming with a crap ton of medkits and revival gear.

Just don't spec her into pistols. She is so bad with pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I just found it easier to never use Glory in my runs, I got Dietrich for buffing and healing and I got Eiger to snipe people at range.
The lady with a 50% chance of performing never factored.
I think that the big developing mistake was to give her a pistol to waste her leveling points with.