Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Did PoE ever get a full respec, as in get all your spent points back, option or do you still have to hope for a major skill tree revamp to get a repsec?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Did PoE ever get a full respec, as in get all your spent points back, option or do you still have to hope for a major skill tree revamp to get a repsec?

Not unless you're willing to spend real money. Or trade for like 100 respec orbs.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Path of Excrement

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ndub posted:

some people just prefer the simplicity of the latter

I really liked being able to play MH drunk as a lord and both not die and get lootsplosions while using some of my favorite superheroes as PC's. PoE is too technical and if I got whiskeyed up and spent skill points I might end up regretting it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zokari posted:

Not unless you're willing to spend real money. Or trade for like 100 respec orbs.

you can't buy a full respec with real money, either

honestly though a full respec is never, ever necessary in PoE. you go for a particular main skill and build around it, and the particular combination of gear you're using on a character usually isn't good for many other skills if any, so a full respec with the intention of doing something different amounts to a character restart.

but at the same time, an effectively full respec can often be done with far fewer than 100 orbs, since (depending on how mechanically similar the new skill you want to use is) much of your passive skill tree might be the same as the previous build. so it's not infeasible. and regret orbs are not prohibitively expensive to trade for.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really liked being able to play MH drunk as a lord and both not die and get lootsplosions while using some of my favorite superheroes as PC's. PoE is too technical and if I got whiskeyed up and spent skill points I might end up regretting it.

you can't fight the final bosses shitfaced in poe but lots of skills aren't particularly brainy to play against normal enemies and bosses.

as i said above, tinkering with your points is not really a big deal

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 13, 2017

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Zokari posted:

Not unless you're willing to spend real money.

you cannot and have never been able to cash-buy a full respec, legitimately anyway

poe is about making mistakes, learning from them, and doing better next time

if you have trouble committing to temporary decisions in a video game that resets every couple months, there's always marvel future fight

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ndub posted:

you cannot and have never been able to cash-buy a full respec, legitimately anyway

poe is about making mistakes, learning from them, and doing better next time

if you have trouble committing to temporary decisions in a video game that resets every couple months, there's always marvel future fight

Oh, and I hate my video games resetting every few months.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

What's the Thor God of Lightning build for PoE?

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

probably lightning strike with ancestral call, probably raider

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

poe just doesnt have that brevik special sauce that makes it fun to play for 5000 hours or even 20 hours

much like diablo 3

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

PoE just feels like it has no character at all to me, so I drop off it really fast every time I've tried it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yardbomb posted:

PoE just feels like it has no character at all to me, so I drop off it really fast every time I've tried it.

It also always feels like there's weird lag in melee abilities every time I try to play it, which makes the game feel slow and janky which I can't really abide in ARPGs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In other PC Game news, if you want either Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag or World In Conflict plus the Soviet Assault expansion, Ubisoft is giving them away for free from today until the 18th.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I'm sure poe is a fine game, but it is also too serious of a game. Anything that I could seriously, unchangeably gently caress up while drunk is not a game I need to be involved with

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I can't tag team squirrel girl, the punisher, and Juggernaut in path of Exile to fight dinosaurs in Manhattan, what's the loving point

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheTrend posted:

What's the Thor God of Lightning build for PoE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbLEsdr21Kg&t=576s

it's probably even better this season because there's a whole bunch of new poo poo to play with.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

HebrewMagic posted:

I can't tag team squirrel girl, the punisher, and Juggernaut in path of Exile to fight dinosaurs in Manhattan, what's the loving point

this

juggy was too good for this world.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Erdricks posted:

I'm sure poe is a fine game, but it is also too serious of a game. Anything that I could seriously, unchangeably gently caress up while drunk is not a game I need to be involved with

i don't want to just endlessly defend poe here but where on earth does this perception come from? you can't gently caress up anything permanently, there's always a way out and it's unlikely to be very hard to do. literally everything about your character other than base class can be changed if you don't like a choice you have made

unless you buy a super expensive unique and then brick it with a vaal orb, but that's kind of like feeling threatened by MH while drunk because you might dump your stash out onto the floor

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's from comparisons to Diablo 2's lack of a respec and a fundamental misunderstanding of how the 'skill' tree works.

Because refunding the tree costs currency people are like "wow, I have to reroll if I want to try something new???" when the reality is that outside of a few keystone passives you can change virtually your entire character without touching the tree at all because almost everything is gear based. You only 'have' to reroll if you want to change class or what you use for health.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HebrewMagic posted:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

outside of a few keystone passives you can change virtually your entire character without touching the tree at all because almost everything is gear based.

then whats the point of a skill tree

checkmate bucko

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
If you can't get poo poo faced and beat the Uber lab you ain't a man

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

a cock shaped fruit posted:

then whats the point of a skill tree

checkmate bucko
There's no skill tree :wink:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

skill atlas

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cleared a PoE season when the Labyrinth came out but haven't really had the desire to get back in and see the new actual content the hard modes were replaced with.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

unlike MH, PoE consistently gets better over time/with patches

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

punchymcpunch posted:

poe just doesnt have that brevik special sauce that makes it fun to play for 5000 hours or even 20 hours

much like diablo 3

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah this is me too, it's just not interesting enough or "MMO-like" for me to play that often.

Honestly it really feels like the developers don't want the game to be more fun, they just want you to endlessly click X things to turn into Y thing forever and the concept "fun" should never be considered.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I kind of dislike the fact that partying isn't really A Thing in PoE, most people prefer to go at it solo because of the way the party system (and its effect on loot and monsters) is set up. And I say this as someone who has done a couple of leagues.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I loving hate games where I gotta click on things.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Does PoE get its own Denny's specials? Didn't think so. RIP thingburger.

Edit: PoE should take advantage of the disenfranchised and add MH skills to their tree. Elbow drops, bouncing ball form, x23's ult, squirrel armies, being carried around on a throne while a march plays and rockets and lasers fire off, all of it there for the taking. Does it have crashdown strikes? If it has crashdown strikes I'll install tonight.

Also it's too bad MH wasn't built for seasons, I wonder if that would have helped.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Rufio posted:

I loving hate games where I gotta click on things.

remember midtown madness? if you want me to pick up trash for hours then at least let me out of a speeding ticket

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Azran posted:

I kind of dislike the fact that partying isn't really A Thing in PoE, most people prefer to go at it solo because of the way the party system (and its effect on loot and monsters) is set up. And I say this as someone who has done a couple of leagues.

It's not a thing cause of the way loot works and most people are greedy rear end holes, and some specs can be outright detrimental if paired together but if you do party and do it right it's far superior to solo. You clear faster and are safer (if you're running an aurabot). You also get more loot when grouping. And as far as simple game play goes, I put about 300 hours in MH and 1200 in poe and I press far less buttons in POE then I ever did while playing a character in MH. Most of my characters in PoE are one button dudes and the guy I'm playing now doesn't press any buttons besides some buffs every so often. I like that there isn't a rotation in PoE like MH had. If I wanted a rotation I'd go play wow.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Are there any good waifus in PoE? that was the only reason I played marvel heroes tbh

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yes there are.

PoE has The ICR Seal of Approval as a noted good game.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kainser posted:

Are there any good waifus in PoE? that was the only reason I played marvel heroes tbh

Templar doesnt even wear pants

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Yes there are.

PoE has The ICR Seal of Approval as a noted good game.

I'm glad you enjoyed the 15 minutes you spent with us

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bagrada posted:

Also it's too bad MH wasn't built for seasons, I wonder if that would have helped.

It was always the winter of our discontent

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Season 1 extended by an extra 3 years because the guy that knows how to flip the season switch is on vacation.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kainser posted:

Piety and Merveil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Atziri is twice the waifu they are.