Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dewgy posted:

What flavour is it?

Looks like teriyaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

They had to hire someone to record those messages, in order to have them ready to go. I wonder what that would have been like for the person they hired. Going through life, knowing that you're the official voice of the end of the world, thanks to an old recording you did for some extra money however many years ago. I wonder what it would have been like for their kids if it happened.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

They had to hire someone to record those messages, in order to have them ready to go. I wonder what that would have been like for the person they hired. Going through life, knowing that you're the official voice of the end of the world, thanks to an old recording you did for some extra money however many years ago. I wonder what it would have been like for their kids if it happened.

I had a very similar line of thought on that subject. According to the info uploaded with the video, the voiceover was read by Floyd Brown, who had been working in Chicago radio for decades when this tape was recorded in 1985.

I prefer to think about the task of recording that message is that it was done by a consummate professional who must have known, on some level, that hearing this, of all messages, from a familiar voice would have had been... reassuring? Calming?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

"Hatefullness" is a bit on the nose.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tight aspirations posted:

"Hatefullness" is a bit on the nose.

Isn't it?

Here's a recording (well, two, but I've queued it up to the one I think is more interesting) of radio station WCCO out of Minneapolis/St. Paul at the time that message came across the wire, and then the later retraction and explanation. It's a fascinating listen, and a bit of an emotional roller coaster, and the way the announcer says "hatefulness, hatefulness" when reading the retraction from NORAD is... well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B1EAeh6H_I&t=355s

e: this video is actually worth listening to from the beginning, though

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Dec 11, 2017

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait like... albatrosses like the birds? I guess I wasn't aware they attack humans. Are there any birds that aren't horrible monsters?

Albatrosses have hated and feared sailors ever since the time of the Ancient Mariner. They exact their revenge whenever they can.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Solice Kirsk posted:

Looks like teriyaki.

It's a bird, innit? It's a bloody sea bird ...it's not any bloody flavour. Albatross!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Albagross imo!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that's the only "ship disaster" that killed more people on land than at sea.

Texas City did too.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phanatic posted:

Texas City did too.

See also: Port Chicago Disaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Chicago_disaster

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

Isn't it?

Here's a recording (well, two, but I've queued it up to the one I think is more interesting) of radio station WCCO out of Minneapolis/St. Paul at the time that message came across the wire, and then the later retraction and explanation. It's a fascinating listen, and a bit of an emotional roller coaster, and the way the announcer says "hatefulness, hatefulness" when reading the retraction from NORAD is... well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B1EAeh6H_I&t=355s

e: this video is actually worth listening to from the beginning, though

What's weird about this recording is it means someone was taping the radio, probably to reel to reel tape since compact cassettes weren't good enough quality yet, and then sat on it until recently enough it could be put on YouTube. Even if it was from an official archive at the station, that's pretty impressive.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Texas City did too.

You guys just haaaaad to prove me wrong eh? Is there any boat disaster that didn't cause more victims on land than at sea?! :mad:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

You could argue the Lusitania ultimately killed more at land than on sea.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Goon Danton posted:

The UK version of this was Patrick Allen, who voiced the Protect and Survive public information films. When they were recording Two Tribes, Frankie Goes To Hollywood hired him to deliver the lines “Mine is the last voice that you will ever hear. Do not be alarmed.”

Rascar Capac has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Dec 12, 2017

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the ghost ship fire is another ship disaster that killed more people on land

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Rascar Capac posted:

The UK version of this was Patrick Allen, who voiced the Protect and Survive public information films. When they were recording Two Tribes, Frankie Goes To Hollywood hired him to deliver the lines “Mine is the last voice that you will ever hear. Do not be alarmed.”

Did they deliberately choose the creepiest possible sounds for the little ending jingle?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Someone posted this interview with people who make extremely creepy childrens videos on youtube that are basically pedo fetish videos in the internet critics thread. I think it fits this thread waay better.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/youtubers-made-hundreds-of-thousands-off-of-bizarre-and?utm_term=.jh8m0EzJRj#.ondawLX43J'0

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Although that article makes the whole thing less creepy IMO. Still interesting to know that it was basically just people who saw the algorithms and saw a way to get rich quick

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Did they deliberately choose the creepiest possible sounds for the little ending jingle?

Possibly! The famous "attention signal" used by EBS and its replacement, EAS —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlP2GHn_Ck

— is a combination of 853 and 960 Hz tones that was specifically chosen because it has a near-visceral quality that's impossible to ignore. To this day, even if I hit play on a recording of that signal and know it's coming, I feel a flash of that awful shiver in my bones.

Why they'd use a technique like that at the end of a such a broadcast, I can't imagine, except maybe to train audiences to pay attention to future broadcasts, and to cement in their minds an unconscious sense that this is to be Taken Seriously.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Man for some reason those types of doomsday / end of the world messages and broadcasts scare me more than any horror movie, either the people who make those kinds of messages and warning sounds did a fantastic job or my brain just reacts unusually strongly to that type of thing.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Tarantula posted:

Man for some reason those types of doomsday / end of the world messages and broadcasts scare me more than any horror movie, either the people who make those kinds of messages and warning sounds did a fantastic job or my brain just reacts unusually strongly to that type of thing.

It's the same reason that as a child I could watch A Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play etc without a thought but the America's Most Wanted theme terrified me. Because it's real, and could actually happen and your mind knows it. That was entirely their point and so your reaction is not only expected but means you are a normal human being so congrats on not being a sociopath!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairs posted:

It's the same reason that as a child I could watch A Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play etc without a thought but the America's Most Wanted theme terrified me. Because it's real, and could actually happen and your mind knows it. That was entirely their point and so your reaction is not only expected but means you are a normal human being so congrats on not being a sociopath!

American's Most Wanted theme lol

this is true terror https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Oh that one did it to me as well but I didn't include it because many episodes were about UFO's and psychics and not real stuff. But oh god anything with someone missing...

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Stairs posted:

Unsolved Mysteries did it for me, that host is creeeeepy

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the EAS tones make me nauseous and I grew up hearing the tests once or twice a week since my parents had radios and TVs on everywhere all the time

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
gently caress that sound, it still gives me knots in my stomach.

I love how when the Emergency Broadcast System would come on and your heart would sink, but then some staticky voice would tell you it was a tornado or some poo poo and you would feel this deep relief that it was just a natural disaster and not the end of the world.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I never really thought about the EAS announcer until the other day when I was listening to the radio and there was a test. I guess I thought it was a recording this whole time because it always sounded like the same guy to me. But this last test had a totally different voice, and to be honest I didn't like it! It sounded a little overly-dramatic how he was talking, like with weird pauses and too much inflection or something. I prefer the voice that sounds totally dispassionate and like it could be a robot talking.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I think they have a guy on hand who can do the creepy robot voice live, like how whatsherface does the GladOS voice at cons. The few times I've heard a not-a-test one it was almost perfect robotvoice but with just enough hesitation to be able to tell it was a person reading a script live. Or maybe a guy reading into a vocoder, but definitely a person spoke the words at some point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Because of this damned show I, to this day, still somewhat believe that Billy the Kid lived through the shoot out and went on to be an old weird guy in Montana or wherever.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Randaconda posted:

These all being on Amazon Prime is the best thing ever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Robokomodo posted:

These all being on Amazon Prime is the best thing ever.

:aaaaa: I was not aware of that! I'm gonna make hot coco and binge watch tonight!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UTAKMh4Jc

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files, which interviews people close to the case like detectives and a neighbor. Apparently Dahmer offered the neighbor a sandwich and to this day she has no way of knowing whether or not she ate some human meat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think Dahmer was into feeding other people his victims. Dude had to get severely hosed up to do the things he did and his whole thing was having his victims stay with him forever, not being sadistic to other people. Creepy, but I don't think she has much to worry about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think Dahmer was into feeding other people his victims. Dude had to get severely hosed up to do the things he did and his whole thing was having his victims stay with him forever, not being sadistic to other people. Creepy, but I don't think she has much to worry about.

Also doesn't sound like he was into hetero sandwiches.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Also doesn't sound like he was into hetero sandwiches.

:sotw:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Possibly! The famous "attention signal" used by EBS and its replacement, EAS —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlP2GHn_Ck

— is a combination of 853 and 960 Hz tones that was specifically chosen because it has a near-visceral quality that's impossible to ignore. To this day, even if I hit play on a recording of that signal and know it's coming, I feel a flash of that awful shiver in my bones.

Why they'd use a technique like that at the end of a such a broadcast, I can't imagine, except maybe to train audiences to pay attention to future broadcasts, and to cement in their minds an unconscious sense that this is to be Taken Seriously.

gently caress that tone so hard. They use it here in the US (or at least in the western US?) for Amber Alerts and it's able to be pushed out to phones, so at any point during the day your phone could just go off with that horrific tone. Incredibly creepy if you're in a place with a bunch of people and you just suddenly hear that tone start blaring at almost max volume, or you're in a house with multiple people and it's late at night, with most of the lights off.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
In the case of an emergency, remember to Remain Indoors

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ishikabibble posted:

gently caress that tone so hard. They use it here in the US (or at least in the western US?) for Amber Alerts and it's able to be pushed out to phones, so at any point during the day your phone could just go off with that horrific tone. Incredibly creepy if you're in a place with a bunch of people and you just suddenly hear that tone start blaring at almost max volume, or you're in a house with multiple people and it's late at night, with most of the lights off.

Holy poo poo this happened to myself and at least two friends at Blizzcon this year. We were watching a movie, blazed out of our mind, when we got an Amber Alert in the middle of it. Three phones going off all at once, scared the poo poo out of us. It keeps going until you acknowledge the alert too, so you can't really just ignore it. I'm in MI by the way, but we get them out here too.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Keru posted:

In the case of an emergency, remember to Remain Indoors

If you're in the US, other courses of action may be available to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

bean_shadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UTAKMh4Jc

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files, which interviews people close to the case like detectives and a neighbor. Apparently Dahmer offered the neighbor a sandwich and to this day she has no way of knowing whether or not she ate some human meat.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, Dahmer did horrible, horrible things that are unjustifiable, but the stuff that prompted his actions doesn't seem to be sadism*, and certainly not THAT kind of sadism where you get a kick out of making people do things they don't realize they're doing. Super hosed up people aren't always hosed up in the same ways.