Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

It’s been a good few years for Brewster. He found his level as an excellent assistant coach and Minnesota paid tribute to him by hiring a younger version.

:drat:

On another, most of the rumors for A&M DC seem to be centered on Wazzu's Alex Grinch right now (just in time for Christmas!). Seems like a good get if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

General Dog posted:

On another, most of the rumors for A&M DC seem to be centered on Wazzu's Alex Grinch right now (just in time for Christmas!). Seems like a good get if true.
Wazzu's defense has been pretty drat good this year, that'd be an excellent hire.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

General Dog posted:

How was Chavis as DC? If y’all move on from him I think he will probably land in Fayetteville.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Brewster is an great recruiter, bummer to lose him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

chaoslord posted:

How was Chavis as DC? If y’all move on from him I think he will probably land in Fayetteville.

Seems likely we're going to move on. Chavis was kind of a mixed bag, pass rush definitely improved (even after Garrett's departure), and just overall stuff like tackling got markedly better, but overall the defense still gave up a lot of yards, especially through the air. The offense was horrid this year and didn't do the defense any favors though.

I don't think Chavis forgot how to coach, maybe it was just a case where he was never able to get his type of players in place, I don't know.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Probably Magic posted:

LOL at all of this, but especially that someone made this. http://saveksfb.com/#top

“To sin by silence, when they should protest, makes cowards of men.”
– Ella Wheeler Wilcox

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

That'd be kinda surprising since he's supposedly a lock for the HC position if/when Leach leaves

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Apparently the MOU that Tennessee releases states that until an employment agreement is reached the MOU constitutes a binding employment contract. Either Schiano is preparing to go after the money or there is a behind closed doors settlement being arranged. I hope he takes them for every penny.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

That'd be kinda surprising since he's supposedly a lock for the HC position if/when Leach leaves

This is probably true but who knows when that will be, and A&M is a pretty big jump in prestige and presumably pay. It’s also hard to sustain success at Wazzu and as a DC for a leach style team generally, so there’s something to be said for striking while the iron is hot

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

Apparently the MOU that Tennessee releases states that until an employment agreement is reached the MOU constitutes a binding employment contract. Either Schiano is preparing to go after the money or there is a behind closed doors settlement being arranged. I hope he takes them for every penny.

The university literally has a list of people approved to sign documents like this and Currie isn't on it. There's likely some settlement being arranged at most to get Schiano to gently caress off but who cares because gently caress him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

The MOU was never signed by the Trustees/Regents though, which i believe still renders it un-bound.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

DJExile posted:

The MOU was never signed by the Trustees/Regents though, which i believe still renders it un-bound.

Seems like an apparent authority situation to me.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Welp, with Jimbo Fisher and Tim Brewster in College Station, recruiting Texas just got a hell of a lot harder for Tom Herman. It might or might not be enough to ding us this year on such a short turnaround, but 2019 and beyond are going to be real tough. He better make something happen, and fast, if he doesn't want to get left in the dust.

Tom, you're obviously a goon, so please hear me now. It appears your make-or-break season will arrive a year ahead of schedule. Tough break. What I'm gonna need you to do is FIRE TIM BECK THE loving INSTANT THE INK IS DRY ON THIS YEAR'S LETTERS OF INTENT. And honestly he probably shouldn't call plays for the bowl game either. Use that game to practice calling plays yourself while also doing HC stuff, if you need to. Because if the offensive woes continue it could easily come to that. Thanks.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Seems like an apparent authority situation to me.

If Currie presented himself to Schiano (heh) as someone who could outright approve the hire then yeah that makes it the school's problem as Currie is a representative of the school, he just didn't have the actual authority he maybe said he did. Thing is, in that situation it's Schiano's word against Currie's unless there's a recording of the meeting.

Which would be fine if there was because then the school would pay some settlement to Schiano but then they'd have reason to fire Currie with cause, not needing to pay his contract/buyout. Remember he's still technically employed by UT, just stripped of any and all "powers".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah they're in a situation where even if Currie wasn't actually able to sign the MOU alone, he had the apparent authority to do so which can make it binding on the school.

Either Schiano is going to get paid and Currie fired for cause or Currie is going to get paid and Schiano quietly settles.

This situation is agency law 101

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Does Schiano have to prove that there was some kind of consideration given/detrimental reliance before he can hold TN to their end of the deal?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does Schiano have to prove that there was some kind of consideration given/detrimental reliance before he can hold TN to their end of the deal?

Hard to say. From what I can tell it's mostly dependent on how Curie presented himself and the MOU.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LIGHT THE GENDO SIGNAL

quote:

Rutgers: Offensive coordinator Jerry Kill is reportedly weighing a decision on whether to return after his first season leading the offense, citing health reasons, according to a tweet from Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press. Kill stepped down at Minnesota midway through the 2015 season due to health concerns, and is Rutgers’ eighth offensive coordinator in eight seasons.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I didn't even know Jerry Kill was still coaching. I figured he was perma-retired after all the stuff he went through at Minnesota.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

seriously, i had no idea he was back in it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think he’s a solid coach but he had seizure issues again this year. He should probably call it quits, but I’m sure that’s hard to admit

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just stay away from on-field coaching. Office stuff, etc

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

DJExile posted:

Rutgers’ eighth offensive coordinator in eight seasons.

jeeeeeeeesus

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

This is a perfectly normal thing for a historically average program.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Jerry kill can join the coaches graveyard that is the Alabama "offensive consultant".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thermos H Christ posted:

DJExile posted:

Hard to say. From what I can tell it's mostly dependent on how Curie presented himself and the MOU.

Yeah. It also depends on what choice of law is used. Both Tennessee and federal law could be applicable and it depends in which court suit is brought.

Basically there are a lot of maybes out there, but apparent authority is typically binding.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw someone say that Schiano's buyout would have been ridiculous. In a 5 year contract if we wanted to fire him after 3 years his buyout would have been almost 13 million.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Texas has had 7 OCs in the same span (Greg Davis, Bryan Harsin, Major Applewhite, Shawn Watson, Jay Norvell (interim), Sterlin Gilbert, Tim Beck).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

He's dead, Jim.

Nope. I get through these cold nights remembering how great it was to shut everyone up 12 years ago, and how great it will be soon.

Kill is legitimately great at generating a running game and horrific at passing, but holy poo poo we can't afford more turnover.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Ah yes. The team that was top 15. College football was certainly worried.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Is this good or bad? Tell me how to feel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vikingstrike posted:

Bow down to the winners of the 2006 Texas Bowl, the literal highlight of the entire history of college football's oldest program

Also everyone's reaction to that season was "hey it's pretty cool that Rutgers is doing well" not "oh no, I was wrong about this atrocious program a few years removed from a winless season!"

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 13, 2017

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bow down to the winners of the 2006 Texas Bowl, the literal highlight of the entire history of college football's oldest program

Also everyone's reaction to that season was "hey it's pretty cool that Rutgers is doing well" not "oh no, I was wrong about this atrocious program a few years removed from a winless season!"

I just checked. 2 seasons with double digit wins in program history. 2006 and 1976. At this rate we’ll look for them to matter in the next quarter century?

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Is this good or bad? Tell me how to feel.

https://twitter.com/NickdelaTorreGC/status/939972238530498560

These dang teens probably don't even know that there was a NCAA game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

https://twitter.com/NickdelaTorreGC/status/939972238530498560

These dang teens probably don't even know that there was a NCAA game.

I'm 34 and had like nearly every game since the mid-90s (although I was a Gamebreaker guy on the original PS because the run game was better dont @ me).

Also, I know who he is, I just didn't know if he is worth a poo poo as a coach.

He was OC at Utah for a bit, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I didn't hear much about Houston this year--what did the offense look like? How'd he do with whatever TAMU transfer he got?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brian Johnson is cool as hell and can do whatever he wants imo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

phil bennett not returning to asu, apparently due to personal and health issues

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Jesus gently caress you are dense, and that was 11 years ago, it wasn't what I was talking about. It's being a respectable program.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because the Big East's bowl tie ins were a joke.

Anyway, supposedly Rutgers and South Carolina are both trying to hire Phil Longo from Ole Miss.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

phil bennett not returning to asu, apparently due to personal and health issues

Oooooh, we get to see Herm's first hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

I just checked. 2 seasons with double digit wins in program history. 2006 and 1976. At this rate we’ll look for them to matter in the next quarter century?

Penn State loses to Rutgers either every 16 games or 70 years, depending on how you want to count it, so I'm worried about the upcoming loss in 2021 but somewhat less worried about the 2058 loss because I don't think we'll have football by then.

• Locked thread