Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
tactics

dont @ me

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

sockingtonsworth posted:

whats the best fallout

if you say 1 or 2 youre a cop btw

okay but you are under arrest

also I never played new vegas so my opinion may be wrong but the first 2 fallouts hold a special place in my heart

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Twenty Four posted:

also I never played new vegas so my opinion may be wrong but the first 2 fallouts hold a special place in my heart

it's hard to compare New Vegas to the originals because they're so different anyway.

It's also hard to compare New Vegas to Fallout 3 or 4 because the latter two are garbage. :shrug:

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Fallout 3 was ok, Fallout 4 had the best gunplay of the first person games, but New Vegas just has so much to offer. It's the best of the modern Fallouts by leaps and bounds

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

sockingtonsworth

i think i had the most fun with new vegas but my fav was 3 if that makes sense. probably because fo3 was the first game i played on an xbox 360

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
fallout 2 had some pretty awesome crit tables. i remember insta-killing every opponent in nominally non-lethal boxing matches and causing them to explode. more games should have automatic deathblow crits

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

Twenty Four posted:

Play New Vegas, it's the closest incarnation of the first two games yet, in my opinion. It probably leans more towards Fallout 2, if that helps.

But the base game is great, and the DLCs are pretty good too (Lonesome Road and Dead Money are the best, with Honest Hearts and Old World Blues being less so in my book - but it depends on the kind of world flavor you like).

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

sockingtonsworth

i owe 1 and 2 another go. but i have nothing to play on

Starman Super DX

New Vegas has a more credible and realistic world than it's modern counterparts too. All of the places and people make sense instead of the feeling that the designers just wanted to shove in as many wacky ideas in the world as possible without consideration for logic and reason. Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time getting drawn into a world that purports to be semi-realistic but then runs with cartoony premises like "the Republic of Dave" and a village of children, places that for some reason are entirely untouched by the multitude of dangers in the wasteland. Even when New Vegas was being comedic it felt a lot more sensible.

Lest we forget the painfully stupid ending to Fallout 3.

You: Hey Super Mutant/Ghoul partner, you're immune to radiation, why don't you go in and shut the deadly thing off?

Either: Oh no this is something you have to do yourself.

You: Uhhh kay??? :confused:

Tell me more!

sockingtonsworth

Starman Super DX posted:

fairrrrr enough. the reason i like fallout games is usually because of the atmosphere. fallout 3 had some really cool/funny parts

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Starman Super DX posted:

New Vegas has a more credible and realistic world than it's modern counterparts too. All of the places and people make sense instead of the feeling that the designers just wanted to shove in as many wacky ideas in the world as possible without consideration for logic and reason. Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time getting drawn into a world that purports to be semi-realistic but then runs with cartoony premises like "the Republic of Dave" and a village of children, places that for some reason are entirely untouched by the multitude of dangers in the wasteland. Even when New Vegas was being comedic it felt a lot more sensible.

You: Hey Super Mutant/Ghoul partner, you're immune to radiation, why don't you go in and shut the deadly thing off?

Either: Oh no this is something you have to do yourself.

You: Uhhh kay??? :confused:

They fixed it in the expansions. But yeah, that was some bullshit.

----------------

Historical Wizards

I haven't played Fallout 1 or 2 enough to fairly judge them, but what I've played I liked. May be bit old for my fragile millennial brain.

Fallout 3 is a good job by a company working with an IP for the first time, and its a whole lot better than their previous game, which is utter garbage.

Fallout 4 is utter trash.

Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time.
Old World Blues > Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Lonesome Road. But they're all good

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Koishi Komeiji

Here's my Fallout 2 experience: Trudged through the needlessly complicated and boring tutorial. Took one step out of the first town in the game and a dude in power armor one shotted me before I could even move. Had to go through the tutorial again because I hadn't saved. Turned game off. Un-installed game. Welp.

sockingtonsworth

anyone play dead by daylight? its the only multiplayer game im good at and my gaming set up is toast so i miss it

TOOT BOOT

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Here's my Fallout 2 experience: Trudged through the needlessly complicated and boring tutorial. Took one step out of the first town in the game and a dude in power armor one shotted me before I could even move. Had to go through the tutorial again because I hadn't saved. Turned game off. Un-installed game. Welp.

ah, that classic game design

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Whenever a video game description says "the choices you make and the paths you choose shape your destiny" I get turned off because I don't want to play through a game multiple times to get all the content

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

sockingtonsworth

blaise rascal posted:

Whenever a video game description says "the choices you make and the paths you choose shape your destiny" I get turned off because I don't want to play through a game multiple times to get all the content

this is a pretty cool part about video games because some people live for this poo poo. I think i,m somewhere in the middle

Historical Wizards

Koishi Komeiji posted:

That is pretty much my experience with Daggerfall, except I never made it to a town, and was instantly killed by a dragon and what I think was a spriggan

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
video games are bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starman Super DX

Nosfereefer posted:

video games are bad

Tell me more!

sockingtonsworth

Nosfereefer posted:

video games are bad

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Nosfereefer posted:

video games are bad

Twenty Four

blaise rascal posted:

This other then when I try to play as the best nicest do everything right I can like I am IRL then get punished because of missing something or bad programming then I am angry!

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
DEAR DIARY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

funmanguy

What time is it?

blaise rascal posted:

i always end up doing the same things on repeat playthroughs. like i always murder caesar hard in new vegas. i cant stand to be mean in dumb video games

Koishi Komeiji

funmanguy posted:

i always end up doing the same things on repeat playthroughs. like i always murder caesar hard in new vegas. i cant stand to be mean in dumb video games

If you don't murder Caesar on every playthrough of FO:NV then you are a soulless monster.

FutonForensic

"the important thing is that you made a choice that matters" caesar says as i fill his rear end with pulse mines

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Obsidian is making NOT new Vegas 2 and i am hype for a not garbage fallout game

Scaly Haylie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4LfuL2_WYE

FF14 remains game of the year

NyetscapeNavigator

Yo it's international play Christmas NiGHTS day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgceqDiqUg

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i played NIGHTS on the Wii and wish to never do it again

Scaly Haylie

Putty posted:

i played NIGHTS on the Wii and wish to never do it again

Koishi Komeiji

Oh no thanks. Actually, I'm good. Thanks for asking though! :stonkhat:

POOL IS CLOSED

show me your papers, please

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

show me your papers, please

:confused:

POOL IS CLOSED

this time played has been forged

deep dish peat moss

Nioh is a very good game.

vanisher

deep dish peat moss posted:

Nioh is a very good game.

Is it, should I get it, I want to get it

deep dish peat moss

It's a weird mashup of Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden, and Diablo

It's a little hard to explain. Basic gameplay is like Dark Souls - the inventory system, leveling and progression are similar. You earn currency from killing enemies that's spent on leveling up, when you die you drop it all and have to recollect it from where you died. You can summon phantoms to help you through levels, exploration is encouraged to find hidden spirits around the map. You manage stamina while attacking/blocking/guarding like in Souls. There are two schools of magic and you can specialize in none, one or both. When a player dies they leave a bloodstain that you can inspect to see how they died, but also you can summon a Revenant of them from the bloodstain which is an AI-controlled version of them and when you kill them you get some of the equipment they were wearing when they died. That's about where the Souls stuff ends.

Then the combat is like a very good Ninja Gaiden game. It's faster paced than Dark Souls or even Bloodborne, as you level up you unlock lots of skill customization options to create your own combos. The system is simple enough to get started and you can totally play through at least the first two difficulties (difficulties are Diablo-style where you're intended to play through on subsequent difficulties on the same character) just pretending it's Dark Souls and using your basic attacks, dodging and blocking. There are seven different weapon types and you can freely swap between your two equipped weapons in combat, equip different ones outside of combat (or even in-combat if you can get enough time to open the menu and do it) and each one has different skills to unlock and customize combos with. It's incredibly fluid and responsive and feels great.

Then the more you progress the more of a Diablo game it becomes. There's an incredible amount of loot variation and ways to improve and customize that loot. There are rare drops and crafting recipes to farm for. Later difficulties are about optimizing your gear to get the stats you're looking for and the stats are in general much more interesting than just boring "+%damage, +% crit, +% attack speed" kind of stuff. There's a ton of them and getting perfect gear is very hard. End-game is a 999 floor dungeon that's this game's equivalent of Rifts in Diablo, or maps in PoE or whatever. You earn limited attempts at it each day but you don't get kicked out unless you lose your Guardian Spirit which is this game's equivalent of your bloodstain in Dark Souls kind of, but gives you sweet bonuses when it's on your body instead of on the ground.

Of course you can play dress up and transmogrify your armor into any other armor and make yourself cool as hell. I'm pretending I'm Raiden from Mortal Kombat with a big-rear end lightning spear and calling lightning down from the sky while evading all over the place.

It's resonating really hard with me because it's an excellent blend of three of my favorite series but if that sounds even sort of interesting to you it's a game you should play.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji

How is the game structured? Cause I heard it's level based and that seems kind of weird for a game trying to be like Dark Souls.