Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

Hello, knitting thread!

I'm only just now discovering knitting as something I Can Do, and I'm looking at possibly getting a set of interchangeable needles. I'm looking at these right now, are they a good choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Options-Inte...edle%2Bset&th=1

Right now I'm just using some cheap aluminum circular needles I got at Walmart and the biggest issue I'm having with them is where the plastic cord connects to the needle there's a bit of a... gap? And my stupid yarn keeps catching on it like crazy, no matter how loosely I try and tension. I'm hoping with some really nice interchangeable needles this issue will disappear, because that's the only thing that's interrupting my flow.

I have some of the knitpicks interchangeable and they are pretty good. They have a test set if you don't want to jump in for 50 bucks or whatever. The connections on them are pretty smooth, and I appreciate that they have short tips and small cords available because I hate dpns!

Here is the sample set:
https://www.knitpicks.com/needles/TRY_IT_Needle_Set-Majestic_Wood_and_Nickel__D91288.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't love my set I have of that brand, the threading is inconsistent and some needles are almost impossible to screw on. The cords also kink like crazy for me.

I prefer metal needles so I've supplemented my set with the Knitter's Pride Nova Platina needles and cords since they're interchangeable with the Options sets and I like the NPs better. They also go down to smaller sizes. I believe the Dreamz would be Knitter's Pride's wooden interchangeable equivalent, but anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

fuzzy_logic posted:

The trick to fair isle / stranded is you need to be a really relaxed knitter - a lot of people just knit everything real tight. I switched to pretty much entirely wood needles and not worrying about stuff slipping around or falling off seems to have made it easier to keep everything loose.

I feel less nervous about trying it. I'm a super loose knitter.

Also, I finished my revontuli. Yay! Now onto something else.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Finished this:

I ended up making it two-layered and reversible so it would be extra warm. Wasn't too happy about that yellow after I got working with it, but I knit it for a friend and he loves it so c'est la vie. I double checked all my stitches against the chart and didn't have any errors (I actually had messed up the first time and had to frog the entire band), so I think the goofy appearance is due to tension/needing blocking.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

NancyPants posted:

Finished this:

I ended up making it two-layered and reversible so it would be extra warm. Wasn't too happy about that yellow after I got working with it, but I knit it for a friend and he loves it so c'est la vie. I double checked all my stitches against the chart and didn't have any errors (I actually had messed up the first time and had to frog the entire band), so I think the goofy appearance is due to tension/needing blocking.

It's a bumblebee hat! I love it.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

That is an awesome hat.

I started a Hitchiker beyond and a seaweed scarf. I love them both.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

That drat Satyr posted:

Hello, knitting thread!

I'm only just now discovering knitting as something I Can Do, and I'm looking at possibly getting a set of interchangeable needles. I'm looking at these right now, are they a good choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Options-Inte...edle%2Bset&th=1

Right now I'm just using some cheap aluminum circular needles I got at Walmart and the biggest issue I'm having with them is where the plastic cord connects to the needle there's a bit of a... gap? And my stupid yarn keeps catching on it like crazy, no matter how loosely I try and tension. I'm hoping with some really nice interchangeable needles this issue will disappear, because that's the only thing that's interrupting my flow.

Alright, if you want a set of interchangeable needles and don't mind making a bit more of an investment, here's what I'd recommend:

If you want wood, I'd go with a set of Lykke interchangeable needles. They're made out of "driftwood" (read: birch wood iirc) and are really nice. They go from a US 4 to US 17, and while the set includes cables for 24", 32" and 40" you can purchase even longer cables separately.

However, if you're ok with metal, I'd strongly recommend a set of Chiaogoo interchangeable needles. They go from US 2 to US 15 and also include cables for 24", 32" and 40". If you want to further offset the cost of the set, you can also just get the Small set which only has the US 2 to US 8 needles, or the Large set (US 9 to US 15). Each of those sets has all the same stuff, except the Small set provides the small side needles and leaves the large side empty, and vice versa for the Large. You can then fill in whichever side is empty later on down the line.

I use Chiaogoo needles for pretty much everything and they own in terms of both quality and price point.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Chiagoo is pretty awesome, and nearly the same price point. They do have a bamboo circular range, though I don't think it comes in a set. I have a few of them and can try to pass them along if you wanted to try a pair.

Edit: Could someone tell me about using acrylic yarn for a blanket? Is this a good idea?

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 24, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Chiagoo is pretty awesome, and nearly the same price point. They do have a bamboo circular range, though I don't think it comes in a set. I have a few of them and can try to pass them along if you wanted to try a pair.

Edit: Could someone tell me about using acrylic yarn for a blanket? Is this a good idea?

Thank you and effika for saying nice things about my hat. Friendo is in love with it now that he has it.

As with anything, I pick the fiber based on the intended use of the finished product and the pattern I'm using. I don't like acrylic (or any synthetics) for anything that will require blocking to look good (so no openwork patterns and nothing with a lot of visible picked up stitches--mine usually look like rear end) or for baby/child clothing/blankets because acrylic is a nightmare in fire temps if you're wearing it or under it. Cotton is much easier to launder if it's for a baby, too, though your color selection may be limited and the price may be a little higher.

For able adult use, I love soft acrylics for blankets and throws. I don't know if you can beat the cost, the available colors are great, it's easy to launder, and it's usually easy to knit. Unless you're particularly messy, it's not going to be something you're laundering constantly and modern acrylics just start off better and hold up better than the nasty poo poo you're going to find in Goodwill sweaters. I currently have Red Heart Soft, Red Heart with Love, and Caron One Pound in my stash that I really like. My standard caution though is not to buy any acrylic from Walmart if you want the soft stuff, because they consistently get bad quality yarn; I have matched lot numbers from Walmart and other retailers where the color and texture were completely off.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Thank you and effika for saying nice things about my hat. Friendo is in love with it now that he has it.

As with anything, I pick the fiber based on the intended use of the finished product and the pattern I'm using. I don't like acrylic (or any synthetics) for anything that will require blocking to look good (so no openwork patterns and nothing with a lot of visible picked up stitches--mine usually look like rear end) or for baby/child clothing/blankets because acrylic is a nightmare in fire temps if you're wearing it or under it. Cotton is much easier to launder if it's for a baby, too, though your color selection may be limited and the price may be a little higher.

For able adult use, I love soft acrylics for blankets and throws. I don't know if you can beat the cost, the available colors are great, it's easy to launder, and it's usually easy to knit. Unless you're particularly messy, it's not going to be something you're laundering constantly and modern acrylics just start off better and hold up better than the nasty poo poo you're going to find in Goodwill sweaters. I currently have Red Heart Soft, Red Heart with Love, and Caron One Pound in my stash that I really like. My standard caution though is not to buy any acrylic from Walmart if you want the soft stuff, because they consistently get bad quality yarn; I have matched lot numbers from Walmart and other retailers where the color and texture were completely off.

Well. I got enough yarn for the Mighty Rainbow blanket for about 30 bucks from LoveKnitting's Black Friday sale. Paintbox yarns have great looking colors, and almost all positive reviews. People seem to love it. I almost went for Knit Picks' Mighty Stitch, but it had a lot of negative reviews and I saved 10+ dollars going for the Paintbox yarns.

Their cotton line is also inexpensive, so it's nice. And yeah, the only yarn I get from wal-mart, I ended up making into dice bags. I don't touch their yarn anymore - not to be a yarn snob, but because it seems rougher than the stuff I get at joann's in the same brands.

Thank you for the advice, I had googled it and got a lot of conflicting answers. I'm gonna knit the poo poo out of this yarn when it gets here.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, I got my Paintbox yarn in the mail! Loveknitting ships super fast, and it came here quickly. I started my blanket, and this acrylic is redonk soft. I just have to tumble it on a cool dry setting? That means low heat or fluff air?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

No pics because my camera is shot right now, but after over 2 years, I've finally finished my own Star Wars scarf. It'll be a Christmas gift for my father, who's a big Star Wars fan.

I feel oddly empty now that the project's all done, and on the last two rows of the project I got very anxious, and binding off was, I can only imagine, the same feeling a mother feels when sending her baby off to university.
That it was 1AM probably didn't help, in hindsight.

I can't believe I have the freedom to work on something for myself, now! I will probably also not be able to believe how much faster regular knitting is compared to double knitting.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

No pics because my camera is shot right now, but after over 2 years, I've finally finished my own Star Wars scarf. It'll be a Christmas gift for my father, who's a big Star Wars fan.

I feel oddly empty now that the project's all done, and on the last two rows of the project I got very anxious, and binding off was, I can only imagine, the same feeling a mother feels when sending her baby off to university.
That it was 1AM probably didn't help, in hindsight.

I can't believe I have the freedom to work on something for myself, now! I will probably also not be able to believe how much faster regular knitting is compared to double knitting.

Congrats on your FO!

Regular knitting is going to feel weird, too thin, and like you're skipping a step. You might not like it.

E: oh poo poo I didn't even see your link! That looks sick af and I don't even like Star Wars

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 4, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Congrats on finishing the scarf! That looks awesome! Double knitting looks pretty intimidating. I hope going back to regular goes great for you.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Latest FOs, been knitting a few onesies. The blue and white ones are Drops Winter Wonder in size 1-3 months. The grey one is Klompelompe Vinterkongledress (winter cone onesie) in size 2 years. All are knitted in Drops Baby Merino.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I finally finished my wife's cardigan, just in time for the holidays! :toot:

It was an instructive project in multiple ways--I never knew that womens' clothing had the buttons on the left until doing this pattern.

Only problem is I think I messed it up a bit blocking it. It turned out a little smaller than I had wanted so I stretched it out a bit--see how it looks a little "wavy" at the hems where I pinned it? Is there any way I can fix that, or am I just going to have to block it all over again?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Genpei Turtle posted:

I finally finished my wife's cardigan, just in time for the holidays! :toot:

It was an instructive project in multiple ways--I never knew that womens' clothing had the buttons on the left until doing this pattern.

Only problem is I think I messed it up a bit blocking it. It turned out a little smaller than I had wanted so I stretched it out a bit--see how it looks a little "wavy" at the hems where I pinned it? Is there any way I can fix that, or am I just going to have to block it all over again?

drat that’s pretty, what’s the yarn?

Allegedly men’s clothing has buttons on the right so you could remove your jacket with your left hand when you get into a sword fight defending your honour or some such.

Does anyone have any good pointers or patterns for knitting first cardigan or pullover? Coming up on a long holiday and wanting to take on a larger project but it’s tough to tell just how difficult any given pattern is.

Here’s a lacey scarf I completed last week, lesson learned: this patterns stretches like crazy.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Tin Can Knits patterns are great, always well laid out and they usually have links to tutorials for any tricky bits. Their most basic pullover is Flax, which is free on Rav, and a really good one if you're new to sweaters.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

drat that’s pretty, what’s the yarn?

Allegedly men’s clothing has buttons on the right so you could remove your jacket with your left hand when you get into a sword fight defending your honour or some such.

Does anyone have any good pointers or patterns for knitting first cardigan or pullover? Coming up on a long holiday and wanting to take on a larger project but it’s tough to tell just how difficult any given pattern is.

Here’s a lacey scarf I completed last week, lesson learned: this patterns stretches like crazy.

It's Virtualyarns Hebridean. It's quite expensive but is absolutely fantastic for colorwork because the yarn's so sticky. Any other yarn I try to do serious colorwork with just looks awful with all sorts of buckling, though that's more my lack of skill than the yarn I think.

Also I actually read somewhere womens' buttons were on the left because rich ladies used to have other people dress them and it's easier for right-handed people--the servants--to have the buttons on the right.

That's a nice scarf too! Very even stitches, I wish I could keep my tension that constant.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

left_unattended posted:

Tin Can Knits patterns are great, always well laid out and they usually have links to tutorials for any tricky bits. Their most basic pullover is Flax, which is free on Rav, and a really good one if you're new to sweaters.
Thanks, that is really well explained and I feel somewhat confident approaching it.

Will definitely keep an eye out for the name in future.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

DRINK ME posted:

Thanks, that is really well explained and I feel somewhat confident approaching it.

I'm knitting it at the moment, so if you have any problems I'm happy to try and help. I don't have plat but I'm leftunattended on Rav.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I started this hat in September:

I'm the worst at making things for people.

Pattern is https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/greenhouse-knits-1

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 15, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

You knit way faster than me. I think it looks rad.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My mother in law knit my daughter a sweater. It's cute, my daughter wore it on Christmas Eve and Christmas for everyone to see. The problem is, there is a hole in it already and I think I know why. My MIL repeated the story of this yarn several times. It's from the 60s and it's acrylic. She made it into something 30 years ago, then frogged it and just got around to knitting it again. Is acrylic that age apt to break? Would repairing this thing be futile?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I noticed my old hat had a hole in it so I did the only logical thing and made myself a new one:

Pattern is: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pop-fizzle

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

^^ Love that hat!

6 feet long, natch. It was my first double knitting project, too!

Pattern that I stared at for like three months

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

endolithic posted:

^^ Love that hat!

Yay DNA!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

endolithic posted:

^^ Love that hat!

Hrrrngh, love it. Came out beautiful.

E: Say, any designers in the thread? I rarely follow patterns exactly as it is, but I think I'm starting to get to the point that I'm making things that are different from what I see, where it would be fair to start writing up and selling patterns. Considering some of the basic poo poo I see that people put into patterns and either charge for or say "no you can't sell things you made with your materials and your time," I'd be well past that threshold. This is disregarding the obvious fact that if you don't put up an online store no one will catch you, I'm mainly talking about the ethics of it. How do you determine whether something like an asymmetrical triangle shawl is different enough from another asymmetrical triangle shawl to publish?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 13, 2018

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

First FOs of the year!

Aline hat (I'm going to make a bunch of these for Christmas gifts this year).

Tiril jumper

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NancyPants posted:

E: Say, any designers in the thread? I rarely follow patterns exactly as it is, but I think I'm starting to get to the point that I'm making things that are different from what I see, where it would be fair to start writing up and selling patterns. Considering some of the basic poo poo I see that people put into patterns and either charge for or say "no you can't sell things you made with your materials and your time," I'd be well past that threshold. This is disregarding the obvious fact that if you don't put up an online store no one will catch you, I'm mainly talking about the ethics of it. How do you determine whether something like an asymmetrical triangle shawl is different enough from another asymmetrical triangle shawl to publish?

Consider whether the main appeal for the design/pattern from the point of view of the buyer is your own original work as opposed to whatever you might have based it off of. This is usually pretty subjective and case-by-case, but I'd say if the common element is something you could have worked out on your own, or if the improvement you make is dramatic and fixes what you might have considered a glaring flaw in the original, you should be fine.

This is all ethical, of course. You can't copyright actual clothing designs.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Imagine you are me and are practicing knitting by making your little baby niece a cardigan marked as "easy" on Ravelry, specifically this one: https://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/mariannas-all-in-one-sleeveless-tops.html

Now imagine that you are dumb beyond your years and forgot to put in buttonholes where they belonged even though they are included in the pattern, and you are too far gone (and too lazy) to rip everything out and start over. Do you:
1) Forget buttons altogether as the garment is meant for children between 1-3 years and buttons are oppressive for young kids especially when they grow so much (Im assuming that as the child ages you utilize fewer buttons to keep it closed)
2) Put buttons on and crochet a little toggle to be put on in place of a button hole to keep it closed
2a) One button up top to keep the top closed, forget the rest
2b) Do all three buttons

I'm leaning towards 2a myself but I'd like the opinion of people who have made things for kids before! :shobon:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
What about sew-in snaps?

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Sehkmet posted:

What about sew-in snaps?

Definitely possible, I guess I was just thinking about what I had on-hand :)

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Finally finished the husband's hoodie after a lot of time off from it - no fun to knit a heavy sweater in the summer, anyway. I bashed it together from this pattern (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boulder-top-down-hoodie-b115) and the Metroid logo (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2016-gal-metroid). It's not perfect and I know where all the flaws are, but he's happy enough with it so I guess that's a win, right?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Torgover posted:

Consider whether the main appeal for the design/pattern from the point of view of the buyer is your own original work as opposed to whatever you might have based it off of. This is usually pretty subjective and case-by-case, but I'd say if the common element is something you could have worked out on your own, or if the improvement you make is dramatic and fixes what you might have considered a glaring flaw in the original, you should be fine.

This is all ethical, of course. You can't copyright actual clothing designs.

Thank you, I feel like that's a pretty clear guide. Now I can let my heart lead the way, lol.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Toddler moccasin-booties for a commission. Pattern is https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/toddler-moc-a-soc---booties

rocknrollmachine
Jul 18, 2011

Hello fellow knitters.

My most recent FO's are the spectra shawl and little fair isle hat. I've been in a bit of a knitting funk ever since. I hope inspiration will jump start my needles again soon.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

rocknrollmachine posted:

Hello fellow knitters.

My most recent FO's are the spectra shawl and little fair isle hat. I've been in a bit of a knitting funk ever since. I hope inspiration will jump start my needles again soon.

That Spectra is gorgeous! I'm such a sucker for gradient stuff like that anyway but it's awesome.

I made a little purse recently, out of handspun.

And I'm working on this thing:

It's a cowl, it's gigantic, and it involves short rows, cabling on the wrong side, and every single chart being on a different row at the same time because of the short rows, so it's...not going very fast. In fact, I'll probably finish it just in time for it to be too hot to wear.

Edit: why does imgur hate me now.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

That Spectra is gorgeous! I'm such a sucker for gradient stuff like that anyway but it's awesome.

It's a cowl, it's gigantic, and it involves short rows, cabling on the wrong side, and every single chart being on a different row at the same time because of the short rows, so it's...not going very fast. In fact, I'll probably finish it just in time for it to be too hot to wear.

Fixed your images for you. Also those are awesome! Love the cowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocknrollmachine
Jul 18, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Thank you! The color changes made the work seem a little less repetitive. I love Westknit patterns because they're simple...but I also get bored for the same reason. It's a double-edge sword.
I love the colors of your handspun, and that cowl has beautiful texture! What pattern are you using if you don't mind me asking? :)