Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

drrockso20 posted:

They actually fleshed out Ben 10's setting fairly well by kid's show standards(albeit not without some continuity snarls), heck it would work better for a Supehero RPG setting than a lot of comic book Superhero settings would

I think thinking of mainstream comics as "settings" is probably a trap anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Considering they're mostly just cruft built up over the decades by a large number of writers scrambling to meet deadlines I'd have to agree.

I prefer the MHR method where the characters have backstories and event books instead of just saying here you go and dumping the group in New York or the Savage Land or whatever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I mean, they tend to have very few hard rules and editors and writers are so frequently flipping the script on setting notions that very little is sacred. They're more like toyboxes or frameworks than guidebooks.

I mean, I was reading the original Punisher miniseries earlier today and you have gangster bosses dying by the dozen in NYC, and if it was a proper setting you'd have all the characters who have gangland wheelhouses (Spider-Man, Daredevil, um... Cloak & Dagger?) sitting up and taking notice that there's a literal gang of punisher lookalikes running around starting wild gunfights. But because it's just a Punisher comic, nobody else in the Marvel universe effectively exists. That's not to say you can't treat them as hard settings, but that only some writers really worry about that sort of thing when it comes to the actual comics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I actually wasn't including the main DC or Marvel continuities when I said that

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I mean, they tend to have very few hard rules and editors and writers are so frequently flipping the script on setting notions that very little is sacred. They're more like toyboxes or frameworks than guidebooks.

I mean, I was reading the original Punisher miniseries earlier today and you have gangster bosses dying by the dozen in NYC, and if it was a proper setting you'd have all the characters who have gangland wheelhouses (Spider-Man, Daredevil, um... Cloak & Dagger?) sitting up and taking notice that there's a literal gang of punisher lookalikes running around starting wild gunfights. But because it's just a Punisher comic, nobody else in the Marvel universe effectively exists. That's not to say you can't treat them as hard settings, but that only some writers really worry about that sort of thing when it comes to the actual comics.

And then you read the comic where the Punisher became an angel killing demons. I thought you read the follow-up comic years later where they explain away why he isn't that anymore by saying he got bored.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I actually wasn't including the main DC or Marvel continuities when I said that

Ah, well, it's an understandable mistake, given than when you say "comic superhero settings", those are the first that likely come to mind.

But mostly I'll take any excuse to blather on about comics outside of the actual comic threads. :ssh:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah, well, it's an understandable mistake, given than when you say "comic superhero settings", those are the first that likely come to mind.

But mostly I'll take any excuse to blather on about comics outside of the actual comic threads. :ssh:

What makes you so afraid of Batman shameful Secret?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Well that's one step away from the comic movie threads and then your soul becomes consumed by a spiritual monster that feeds on suffering

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DON'T READ CAPECOMICS

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

What makes you so afraid of Batman shameful Secret?

That feels like a pretty funny self-answer already.

But mostly just the feeling that if you've seen one comics fandom outrage, you've seen them all.

Plutonis posted:

DON'T READ CAPECOMICS

You can't stop me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That feels like a pretty funny self-answer already.

But mostly just the feeling that if you've seen one comics fandom outrage, you've seen them all.

Eh, things have settled down since the "Captain America was secretly a Hydra agent this whole time!" event ended in a way that was so confusing and poorly-written that nobody besides enthusiastic nazis could pretend it was good.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
The Punisher is hilarious that it still exists.

“Yep, the biggest threat plaguing 21st century USA is gangstas and thugs and certainly not crazy white guys shooting as many people as they can, no sir!”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Simian_Prime posted:

“Yep, the biggest threat plaguing 21st century USA is gangstas and thugs and certainly not crazy white guys shooting as many people as they can, no sir!”

this is why the Netflix series is good: Punisher vs Blackwater and lanyards

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the punisher shoots italians 90% of the time

Covok
May 27, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

Punisher has not aged well.

Plutonis posted:

the punisher shoots italians 90% of the time

You know, that's actually referenced in one issue. Since Frank's name is actually short for Frank Castillo, one of the gangsters asks why he's killing his own kind.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is why the Netflix series is good: Punisher vs Blackwater and lanyards

Making his targets more “acceptable” doesn’t really fix the problem

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Its also a story about veterans with tragic PTSD and the lack of support they get when returning home from a conflict. One of the antagonists is a white guy who gets caught up in a right wing right to bare arms group and starts blowing up ATF buildings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Simian_Prime posted:

No, it contributes to the culture in the long run. Little boys should be fantasizing about how cool it would be to murder a Wall Street executive instead of, like, a zombie which is just code for the underclass anyway.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So has anyone used Tabletop Simulator to run a campaign? And if so, how was it and what should I know before I try?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone's been reading through or even playing Fragged Kingdoms, I'd love to get some first impressions.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If anyone's been reading through or even playing Fragged Kingdoms, I'd love to get some first impressions.

Been reading, though haven't had time to play yet.

It's sort of more immediately post-apocalyptic than even your typical fantasy setting; forty years ago there was a massive war with the Archdruid, a servant of the goddess Neph, which ended when he was assassinated by parties unknown. The Archdruid warped the landscape with druid magic, poisoning the land, turning animals into monsters, and you know, typical evil druid things all with the goal of basically wiping out intelligent life on the planet and starting over from the primal state. One of the last known holdouts on the continent was Stronghold and Pol's Rest, who were built atop the body of the fallen god Pol. Thanks to an attack by a Nephilim dragon shortly after the death of the druid, a lot of the land and water around them has been poisoned. So Stronghold's now formed the Vanguard, an organization to go resettle the land, find new sources of fresh water and food, and find out what's happened in the world since then. One of the big mechanical widgets is establishing new settlements by leveraging your fame as an adventurer once you've cleared out the threats that could wipe out a new colony.

It's also explicitly set in the far-distant future of the Fragged Empire setting and a lot of the descriptions of fantasy elements are followed by what the truth is -the Goddess Neph is a nephilim bio-ship in orbit. The Spirits that are worshiped by one of the major religions are Faren, the energy beings that used to live in symbiosis with the Twi-far, and so on. The Corporates aren't around- there's remnants of their outposts, and two of the gods are associated with them, but no actual signs of the corporate/Vargati species on the planet, which also means there's no playable race that's basically human-like. (Twi and Kaltoran are -kind- of, but Twi are glowing orange and Kaltorans have four ears and genetic memory)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks! Have the mechanics changed much? Is playing an archer just swapping out a sci-fi blaster and writing in "bow" overtop of it?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's more tweaks than changes- there's now head armor and body armor as separate numbers. There's new weapon statlines for basically all the medieval weapons, and some weapons now have two statlines depending on how you use them, some of which may take different variations.

There are guns in setting, treated as crossbow only variations that you can only get as loot from ruins and they usually have limited ammo. Kingdoms adds crafting as a downtime only activity that requires trade boxes to do, and some weapons can only be created with crafting spare time rolls.

Big mechanical change with all three settings is the use of Momentum. You gain momentum for various actions, and some weapons and outfits gain benefits when at max momentum (=your focus) or gives you the spend momentum to gain other abilities, or both.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

No, it contributes to the culture in the long run. Little boys should be fantasizing about how cool it would be to murder a Wall Street executive instead of, like, a zombie which is just code for the underclass anyway.

Revolution being watered down into whimsical revenge fantasy is the worst thing that could ever happen, as a leftist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's more tweaks than changes- there's now head armor and body armor as separate numbers. There's new weapon statlines for basically all the medieval weapons, and some weapons now have two statlines depending on how you use them, some of which may take different variations.

There are guns in setting, treated as crossbow only variations that you can only get as loot from ruins and they usually have limited ammo. Kingdoms adds crafting as a downtime only activity that requires trade boxes to do, and some weapons can only be created with crafting spare time rolls.

Big mechanical change with all three settings is the use of Momentum. You gain momentum for various actions, and some weapons and outfits gain benefits when at max momentum (=your focus) or gives you the spend momentum to gain other abilities, or both.
Can you play as a wizard, what does being a wizard get you, and what is the "but really" magic explanation?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There are three(four) kinds of wizard and one kind of cleric.

Alchemists, who are basically using half-understood science and mixing together volatile chemicals and/or drugs probably past their expiration date to create 'magic potions' and explosives.

Ta-di shamans, who do weird poo poo with the Faren, energy being aliens that bond with people symbiotically. They used to only bond with one other race in Fragged Kingdoms, the Twi-Far, but now they can bond with other people and animals (And when they bond with the race with genetic memory they sort of personify the ancestors that the Kaltoran 'remembers')

Enchanters, who are psychics and can cloud minds or mind-zap people or inspire their allies.

All-power, who basically folks who get their glowy weird powers from their bond with a different kind of energy being- specifically, the all-being, the entity that raised the Remnant from the dead in Fragged Empire. The presumed backstory is that the Remnant managed to cure the disease that would kill them without the All-being's constant intervention so now they don't all follow it and it can empower other people.

And then there's the druids, who are basically alchemists but using Nephilim biotech.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Holy poo poo, FK sounds like it's doing Dying Earth subgenre fantasy better than almost every game that's set out to do so. This also reminds me of Tekumel, and of Malcolm Sheppard's notes on his AD&D campaign where the world was the ruined capital of what used to be a space empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

unseenlibrarian posted:

There are three(four) kinds of wizard and one kind of cleric.

Alchemists, who are basically using half-understood science and mixing together volatile chemicals and/or drugs probably past their expiration date to create 'magic potions' and explosives.
Sold.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What's a good PVP game, either an "RPG" focused on PVP or a board game that lets you have a high degree of customization over your chracters?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Shinobigami? Haven't played it, but I've heard it's a pretty interesting pvp game.

Alternately, Everyone is John.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Moriatti posted:

What's a good PVP game, either an "RPG" focused on PVP or a board game that lets you have a high degree of customization over your chracters?
Paranoia

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Legendary Encounters: Predator is a kind of co-op PvP deckbuilder, but all the customisation occurs in game. If you like it you can grab the Alien version which doesn't have PvP built in, but you can mix and match it with the Predators game to have a bunch of Predators beating each other up while competing to kill the Queen on Hadley's Hope.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Splicer posted:

Legendary Encounters: Predator is a kind of co-op PvP deckbuilder, but all the customisation occurs in game. If you like it you can grab the Alien version which doesn't have PvP built in, but you can mix and match it with the Predators game to have a bunch of Predators beating each other up while competing to kill the Queen on Hadley's Hope.

In-game is fine. How is it as a deckbuilder? I have a lot of Legendary so I didnt pick this one up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Moriatti posted:

In-game is fine. How is it as a deckbuilder? I have a lot of Legendary so I didnt pick this one up.
I think it's similar to regular legendary (which I haven't played). There's a stack of cards called the armoury. Five of those cards are available at any one time and do cool stuff when played (they're stuff like nets and guns and being really angry). You start your deck with a bunch of basic cards with either one attack or one recruit, and one of five special predator cards. On your turn you can spend recruit to buy new cards for your deck from the visible ones (and spend attack to attack enemies). Depending on what cards you already have some are more valuable to you than others etc, similar to Dominion except if you don't buy enough duchies you all get murdered by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I think Alien being co-op alleviates some (but not all) of the issues with a market row deckbuilder. You can still get a market flooded with cards no one can afford, but at least you can coordinate your buys with the other players.

It sounds like Predator takes it back the other way towards Ascension or Star Realms even moreso than Marvel Legendary, but I haven't played it so I can't comment too much.

Mage Knight/Star Trek Frontiers is another potential board game in this vein, but it's much heavier and again a bit better when playing co-op. If you're looking for gift ideas I'd probably look elsewhere unless you know they like heavy games.

If you can get over the theme (a card game, simulating a puzzle game, simulating a fighting game, played with poker chips), Puzzle Strike is probably my favorite direct conflict deckbuilder.

Otherwise you could maybe look into some of the one-vs-many games like Star Wars Imperial Assault if those fit your parameters well enough.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I was just making this post because Star Trek: Frontiers was just a little too heavy gor some of my group haha.

It's not so much a gift idea as I am trying to figure out a good game to put our "very serious" Master Gamer belt under.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ImpactVector posted:

I think Alien being co-op alleviates some (but not all) of the issues with a market row deckbuilder. You can still get a market flooded with cards no one can afford, but at least you can coordinate your buys with the other players.

It sounds like Predator takes it back the other way towards Ascension or Star Realms even moreso than Marvel Legendary, but I haven't played it so I can't comment too much.
As with Alien, there's a secondary deck with 8 cards ("Killer Instincts") in it that always cost 3 recruit and are worth two recruit when played. So you may end up with a few rounds of everyone buying the Killer Instincts cards, but after that you're good to go. Instead of co-ordinate you can suicide them to kill a card out if your discard pile when you don't need them anymore. There's also Traps, which are basically monsters you spend recruit instead of attack to murder, so if you can't buy a card but you can afford to disarm a trap then you'll make the world a bit less dangerous and also get some honour for it! It also gives Recruit a bit more use later in the game.

I'll describe the PvP bit though: Like Alien, there's a bunch of bad things slowly making their way down The Wilds. You spend attack (or recruit, if traps) to kill them, as per Alien (for honour!). However, some of the purchasable cards have the Duel keyword, which lets you spend your attack to attack other Predators instead (once per Duel card, must spend attack equal to the Predator's Defence). If a Predator dies then the current round plays out, then everyone still alive gets one more turn, then the dead predator blows up while everyone runs away. If a Predator killed them their murderer gets their avatar card to add to their honour stash.

The game can also end by killing The Ultimate Prey, which is the main characters of the two films.

You also get a full Alien-style setup of cards for playing the films co-op from the Human point of view.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 13, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

There's tons of good (or at least decent) board games for 1v1 squad skirmishes or larger battles, but if you're looking for customization for a single unit in a one-on-one fight, the only good one I can think of is the now-defunct (twice over) DBZ CCG. There's a healthy fan community with some people from the original playtest group still making fan content, and presumably the lack of official tournaments/support wouldn't bother you for what you're looking to do, so it's still a decent option.

e: Mage Wars is another decent choice.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Patreon canceled their fee change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, FK sounds like it's doing Dying Earth subgenre fantasy better than almost every game that's set out to do so. This also reminds me of Tekumel, and of Malcolm Sheppard's notes on his AD&D campaign where the world was the ruined capital of what used to be a space empire.

It benefits heavily from the fantasy game coming out after the sci-fi game, so you the human person playing the game already know how the sci-fi universe works.
When you encounter stuff like elementals that are mostly humanoid figures made of one inanimate substance with a strange ooze-like black soul that binds it together and a mask, you already know enough to go "Hey, that sounds a hell of a lot like the Zhou...ah."

• Locked thread