Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I think I need 25 gears, 4 pages, 11 Golem Gems, 3 horseshoes, and a Chaos Claw.

So, I think I need to do the Berserker Training Ground tomorrow to get the claw and some of the gems, then Okeanos: Caldera Island for the horseshoes, then Okeanos: Two-Current Sea for the rest of the golem gems, and then I'm just SOL on the gears and pages until London drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bersekr Training is right now, not tomorrow.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It's right now and also part of tomorrow (Central time), I just did a bunch of it to get berserker Monuments to max-ascend Kiyohime. I'm empty right now and don't wanna spend an apple.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nate RFB posted:

That is all genuinely fascinating to me. Math is cool.

Another thing that stood out was the terminology with some servants' NP damage. Robin, Bryn, Gil, Carmilla get boosts to their NP under certain circumstances and this is labeled "Special Damage", acting as a flat increase applied after the fact. Jack's on the other hand is labeled "Own Damage" presumably because the effect propagates through to all other cards she uses. But because of that distinction, the boost is "50%" at regular overcharge even though it seems to work out to the same 1.5x effect that say Byrn gets on hers.

That's just due to the way values are applied. Jack and Scach and Orion use a "Power Up [vs ___]" buff, which falls under the "powerMod" term in the formula. Since it's a buff, it applies to all attacks as long as it's there.

Meanwhile, Robin, Carmilla, Gil, Bryn, etc. use a different damage function, which, aside from considering all the buffs you should consider for NP damage, also applies a multiplier if the enemy has the matching trait. That falls under the "superEffectiveModifier" term in the formula. Since it's a special condition of the NP damage function, it won't apply to normal attacks.

The way the terms combine makes for some goofiness wrt the values, but Power Up 50% is the same as Super Effective 150% numerically speaking. Neither is "flat", either. All things multiply with everything else, except for the actual flat damage modifiers which are at the end of the formula. Stuff like Divinity or the buster chain bonus.

Anyways, since you're the kinda nerd that might appreciate it.
https://ufile.io/x9emk is the last dump of the game's data I did (plus my various translations and poo poo) before I couldn't do it anymore,
Use https://sqliteonline.com/ to view it or use any SQLite browser out there.
You might find the mstConstant table interesting. It's there were, for example, the upper and lower bounds for the damage randomizer (the random ±10% to damage) are defined. DW could trivially make damage go from 50% to 150% and make crits do 10x damage if they wanted to make a lovely game.
Just remember to divide by 1000 to get the %.

(Keep in mind that data is like over a year out of date)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 13, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should do ALL your fights with Tamamo/Jeanne/Medea Lily. :getin:

Tamamo is very enthusiastic about gently whacking enemies for no damage and that's good enough for me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
orz Arash :( Now that I have you fully Ascended and max leveled, you blow up so many hands (by blowing yourself up). You don't deserve this cruel fate my beautiful boy, but thank you for it regardless. Everyone please remember to thank your Arash for his hard work, he does his best.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
All I got from trying for Caster Gilles was A pendant and a drat Lu Bu so i'm not bothering until casters only summons.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gologle posted:

orz Arash :( Now that I have you fully Ascended and max leveled, you blow up so many hands (by blowing yourself up). You don't deserve this cruel fate my beautiful boy, but thank you for it regardless. Everyone please remember to thank your Arash for his hard work, he does his best.

Just wait until his NP strengthening.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

a kitten posted:

Tamamo is very enthusiastic about gently whacking enemies for no damage and that's good enough for me.

I love when people comment that Tamamo and similar servants do "no damage", but for me after being used to silvers like Caesar and Robin, her damage feels pretty decent combared to them! (NP excepted)

Ofc, then I get actual gold attackers and see what they mean. :v:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

Tamamo isn't very good at damage, but she's the core of a lot of fun teams. Grab a support waver and whatever servant you have with at least two arts cards and a class advantage and you'll be pushing NP art chains practically every turn. Or swap the damage servant with Jeanne or someone and never, ever, die.

She'll make up for the lack of damage next summer. Her swimsuit version does tons of damage against guys, and she builds meter quick enough to shoot it fairly often.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i am enjoying the show and it makes me want to roll for cute knight boy despite having more riders than p much all 4+ for all other classes

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Speaking of, when did 'Rider' sort of stretch to encompass 'Ruler/Leader/Royalty' in its conceptual space? Because it's feeling like it's now kind of stretched covering generals and tacticians, actual mounted combatants, and monsters/monster tamers.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Crasical posted:

Speaking of, when did 'Rider' sort of stretch to encompass 'Ruler/Leader/Royalty' in its conceptual space? Because it's feeling like it's now kind of stretched covering generals and tacticians, actual mounted combatants, and monsters/monster tamers.

Iskander being super popular and being the first 'real' Rider, since Medusa was an Aberration of the Grail System.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bakanogami posted:

Tamamo isn't very good at damage, but she's the core of a lot of fun teams. Grab a support waver and whatever servant you have with at least two arts cards and a class advantage and you'll be pushing NP art chains practically every turn. Or swap the damage servant with Jeanne or someone and never, ever, die.

I've got her teamed up with Vlad and have been having a blast doing just that. Or, when the class setup allows, Medea; because sometimes you just want to stab things with Rule Breaker over and over again.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crasical posted:

There’s a lot of historical figures who don’t really quite fit in to any specific class very well. Rider’s a bit less specific than saber/lancer/archer.

I think Caster is a bigger offender in this regard, though. Writing, composing, and science all seem to be considered magic in the throne of heroes.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Crasical posted:

honestly with a few servants in the future rider's just gonna get worse, so enjoy it mostly making sense now

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

honestly with a few servants in the future rider's just gonna get worse, so enjoy it mostly making sense now

Honestly Ozymandias is the only Rider who I can 100% just not understand. He doesn't ride poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

He rides his boat up and down the Nile, overseeing his country? :v:

I got nothing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

Honestly Ozymandias is the only Rider who I can 100% just not understand. He doesn't ride poo poo.

He can ride anything he drat well pleases, he's the Pharaoh.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

"He is given the class of Rider due to his Noble Phantasm Mesektet, the boat of the sun. It is able to fly through the skies and fire several beams of light that can scorch the earth. Rider is also able to summon just parts of it if he chooses - from the TM wiki " From some dude on the wiki. I originally theorized it was because he and the Egyptian army pursued Moses on horses, but that's apparently got nothing to do with it.

I suppose that explains most of his attack animations, though. I just realized that.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So he has a boat that isn't a boat and just stays off screen shooting lasers and he's a rider even though he doesn't ride it. Gotcha.

I still prefer Quezalcoatl's "I will ride your face right into the loving ground" gimmick.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

So he has a boat that isn't a boat and just stays off screen shooting lasers and he's a rider even though he doesn't ride it. Gotcha.

I still prefer Quezalcoatl's "I will ride your face right into the loving ground" gimmick.

It's only off-screen because FGO can't really handle a character with multiple NPs well. And guess which class is defined as "has lots of NPs"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Rider Class doesn't usually make sense as a "riding things was this heroic spirit's primary schtick", it's just that the class is a vessel you can summon a heroic spirit into if Riding had any sort of importance in their legend, which is oftentimes that one of their Noble Phantasms involved riding, or maybe they just like to gently caress

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Iskander being super popular and being the first 'real' Rider, since Medusa was an Aberration of the Grail System.

Medusa is actually, IIRC, a perfectly normal Rider, it's just that she's a lovely Rider. The Heroic Spirit Medusa manages to qualify for the Class, but her relation to her mount is extremely awkward and it summons her at a point and in a form where a number of her other powers are at a relative nadir. In F/SN this happened because Zouken didn't really give a gently caress and was initially mostly content to sideline this one and wait for Fuyuki #6, and just summoned with something he had on hand and sent off Shinji largely to dispose of him. It's only in the Heaven's Feel route that Zouken realizes he might have under-estimated both Medusa and some other elements.

But yeah Medusa's just not a great Rider. She's a lot stronger as Lancer or Avenger.

Bakanogami posted:

I think Caster is a bigger offender in this regard, though. Writing, composing, and science all seem to be considered magic in the throne of heroes.

Unironically, yes, it is. The "magic" of creation of moving works and things that influence human thought and the human soul are one of the major ways "normal" people ascend to the Throne, and the only Servant vessel that can really materialize such people is Caster.

Crasical posted:

It really started with Iskandar, as pointed out, but it's a logical extension of things - a lot of generals are famous for "riding" an army, many of them are depicted as mounted, and a lot of the older ones are also famous in part for innovating or changing warfare via the use of mounts or vehicles. Genghis Khan, for example, would abso-loving-lutely be a Rider if he ever got added to the game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Quez rides dinosaurs

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

http://news.fate-go.jp/2017/christmas2017/

yes!!!!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Welfare Altera is great, her NP is amazing too

Can't wait to roll Ereshkigal in one 10 roll

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
What In The Actual Hell: The Event

why do I ever doubt Nasu's ability to cook up something both ridiculous and amazing looking

ALTERA ZA SAN(TA)

and poo poo, I'm unlikely to roll Altera on my JP account outside of a random spook, so I'll take it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm dead. I'm loving dead.

Candy Star Photon Ray

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The sheep noises being voiced by her is too much. Im dead

Also Bunyan's face is too pure

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EGSunBro posted:

Welfare Altera is great, her NP is amazing too

Can't wait to roll Ereshkigal in one 10 roll

gently caress YOU IBRAM DIE IN A FIRE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait you're not Ibram Gaunt.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

We both are

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also I was seeing a little confusion about it, but the "Protection/Guard of the Underworld" mentioned in Ereshkigal's NP description is the same as one of the skills she uses during the fight with Tiamat at the end of Babylonia. It's probably in reference to a skill the character has, so there's interplay between the NP and her skills (which is neat).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

https://ufile.io/x9emk is the last dump of the game's data I did (plus my various translations and poo poo) before I couldn't do it anymore,
You might find the mstConstant table interesting. It's there were, for example, the upper and lower bounds for the damage randomizer (the random ±10% to damage) are defined. DW could trivially make damage go from 50% to 150% and make crits do 10x damage if they wanted to make a lovely game.

Out of interest did they store that data in the apk or on the server? In other words is it only going to change with app updates, or can they theoretically tweak it on the fly?

edit: I notice that it includes the great and super success rates, which implies that they do at least change it for events.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceDrake posted:

It really started with Iskandar, as pointed out, but it's a logical extension of things - a lot of generals are famous for "riding" an army, many of them are depicted as mounted, and a lot of the older ones are also famous in part for innovating or changing warfare via the use of mounts or vehicles. Genghis Khan, for example, would abso-loving-lutely be a Rider if he ever got added to the game.

I don't disagree with you, but Ghenghis Khan is a really terrible example. He literally was known for mounted combat. Like I know the Mongolians were archers too, but someone famously leading cavalry on a horse being Rider is not much of an example of abstract applications of the class.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wait you're not Ibram Gaunt.

The difference is my confidence is baseless and I will get a shirtless Kirei instead

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah, I was alright UNTIL she started voicing the sheep. Then I just lost my poo poo.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh my god its Altera Santa. OH MY GOD ITS ALTERA SANTA! :kimchi:

It seems that only Sevants from final Boss battle in a Singularity can become Santa. We had Salter fo Fuyuuki, Jalter for Orleans and now Altera for Rome. So next year we could get Santa Medea. (or Santa Jason. Or Santa Hercules?!?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kyte posted:

Thanks, this is definitely stuff I'd love to dig through. I'm sadly more of a hardware engineer rather than software so my experience with SQLite is quite limited, but I'm already pretty impressed by what you can find in here. Right off the bat they apparently have values for NP ranks, which I find amusing.