Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
just give every building in your base 9 armor and 30hp/s regen for 40s lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Treant will become a hard counter to NP when valve bends to tactical realism and keeps eyes (and monkey kings) on the tree when it uproots

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
turbo mode is good because you get to realize how broken the level 25 talents for supports are

100% lifesteal on Elder Titan :getin:

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
at a minimum turbo fills its niche as Escape From Dying As Puck practice so it's fine for that, i guess

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I just got knocked to low priority because I queued up for a ranked game and then when I was matched it just failed over and over to connect to the server and then eventually issued me an abandon. Thats lovely.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Ah gently caress the game is making me play the best mode against the most desperate boys, giving me the best chance possible to have a good match

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

I just got knocked to low priority because I queued up for a ranked game and then when I was matched it just failed over and over to connect to the server and then eventually issued me an abandon. Thats lovely.

I didn't get sent to low priority, but this happened to me as well, and also someone I was playing with tonight.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I need to start abandoning, low priority sounds fun

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

where is the winter map ?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

a witch posted:

january

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

a witch posted:

waiting for the outsourcing of frostivus to finish before they outsource the new winter map

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

New Moon was pretty fun, I hope they do something like that again, I never did defeat the Dark Magus...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Concurred posted:

New Moon was pretty fun, I hope they do something like that again, I never did defeat the Dark Magus...

headliner will never be defeated

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I miss randoming

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Wangsbig posted:

headliner will never be defeated

Lmfao

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

RisqueBarber posted:

I miss randoming

isnt there a mode for that?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

isnt there a mode for that?

Yeah but it's ruined. You don't get a tp scroll, you don't get bonus gold, you can't repick, you don't get the bonus iron branch for randoming, and you don't get a mango.

I can understand the change in ranked but the current patch disincentives randoming by having bad perks and a limited hero pool. Just seems like they made they made the game more "try hard" for the average unranked party players.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, randoming was kind of a dumb concept even if it was fun. "I'm going to roll a dice, and if it hits 4/5/6 then I get a gold lead over you on a hero I'm good at that fits our composition, otherwise i'l either leave or make my team wish I left"

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, randoming was kind of a dumb concept even if it was fun. "I'm going to roll a dice, and if it hits 4/5/6 then I get a gold lead over you on a hero I'm good at that fits our composition, otherwise i'l either leave or make my team wish I left"

True. Randoming can be greedy but I always tried to be the first one to pick. That way I'm not last picking a hero for a role that's already been filled. Also, I think I'd still random without the bonuses/perks if they increased the hero pool and brought back repicking.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

Yeah but it's ruined. You don't get a tp scroll, you don't get bonus gold, you can't repick, you don't get the bonus iron branch for randoming, and you don't get a mango.

I can understand the change in ranked but the current patch disincentives randoming by having bad perks and a limited hero pool. Just seems like they made they made the game more "try hard" for the average unranked party players.

It's become "gently caress you for randoming"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The laning meta has gotten a lot more stale, or professional, over time. I used to see things like solo offlane Spectre or void/TB dual safelane all the time, and you'd just make it work.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Reality Winner posted:

The laning meta has gotten a lot more stale, or professional, over time. I used to see things like solo offlane Spectre or void/TB dual safelane all the time, and you'd just make it work.

People copy the pros instead of picking 5 carries like they did in 2005

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I won a lane as offlane tiny once by standing in tree for five minutes until the support left and comboing the carry.

You can do whatever you want in the dota game, who gives a poo poo

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Reality Winner posted:

Meanwhile I reach Divine by going offlane carry lich.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I won a lane as offlane tiny once by standing in tree for five minutes until the support left and comboing the carry.

You can do whatever you want in the dota game, who gives a poo poo

ya

there's always gonna be morons that just ape pro players despite not being in a pro play environ, that doesn't make what they do the best choice always.

had a support kunkka that insisted it was a good idea and everyone else was failing him since he saw a pro doing it. It failed to dawn on him that the support kunkka was probably with other pro player friends in skype, and can actually coordinate The Long Delay Hero's X's and torrents

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ive played like 20 5 position qop games in the past month and lost maybe 2. dotas loving stupid and you can to

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's been said before but I think Valve would have better retention with Dota's player base if they did literally anything at all about the terrible attitudes of people in this. I just had a string of games where in one, someone fed purposefully; the second, someone abandoned at less than one minute because we lost first blood; and the third our middle complained from five minutes onward tanking team morale and effectively causing us to lose. There's no for repercussions any of that, and that's not even getting into the rampant racism.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, it was fun and it rewarded you for having a big hero pool. If you can't play Meepo or Chen I feel sorry for you :colbert:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Nichael posted:

It's been said before but I think Valve would have better retention with Dota's player base if they did literally anything at all about the terrible attitudes of people in this. I just had a string of games where in one, someone fed purposefully; the second, someone abandoned at less than one minute because we lost first blood; and the third our middle complained from five minutes onward tanking team morale and effectively causing us to lose. There's no for repercussions any of that, and that's not even getting into the rampant racism.

you are experiencing the punishment for that. once i unbound my push to talk key and turned off my microphone and muted everyone in game for a month and a half until my behaviour score was no longer insanely rear end i got good fun games with people who are not raging assholes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

you are experiencing the punishment for that. once i unbound my push to talk key and turned off my microphone and muted everyone in game for a month and a half until my behaviour score was no longer insanely rear end i got good fun games with people who are not raging assholes.

My behavior score's good last I checked. I never say anything rude in game.

edit: I just checked, it's "[Developer] behavior_score: Normal" which is apparently the highest. Dota is just filled with lovely people top to bottom.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 13, 2017

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I just got a huge rank upgrade which corresponds roughly to my old party MMR (I haven't played a party MMR game this season, and my solo MMR is in the toilet). Did Valve change the rank system so it took the higher of your solo and party MMRs?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Incoherence posted:

I just got a huge rank upgrade which corresponds roughly to my old party MMR (I haven't played a party MMR game this season, and my solo MMR is in the toilet). Did Valve change the rank system so it took the higher of your solo and party MMRs?

they made it so its a combination of both, unless your solo puts you at divine or higher

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Another game where a guy has a meltdown over Dota 2, and told our carry to kill himself on the mic.

I think that's a little bit of an exaggerated response for losing a video game but what do I know.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Items should have a BBG tracker tag that records how many patches your win streak has survived in this game (which is very easy)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Nichael posted:

Another game where a guy has a meltdown over Dota 2, and told our carry to kill himself on the mic.

I think that's a little bit of an exaggerated response for losing a video game but what do I know.

People certainly suck, but I also recommend muting folks at the first sign of being a jerk. Whole team muted? Time to put on a podcast.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Neon Belly posted:

Whole team muted? Time to put on a podcast.

:coffeepal: Why didn't I think of this before?!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

turboraton posted:

Meanwhile I reach Divine by going offlane carry lich.

Are you implying offlane lich of any kind doesn't completely cripple most people because they miss half the CS anyways? :v:

Elman posted:

I mean, it was fun and it rewarded you for having a big hero pool. If you can't play Meepo or Chen I feel sorry for you :colbert:

The only way randoming could be improved would be if it forced you to read a list of your every failing in life when you tried it. I hate having two people argue over who gets to go pos 1 then the loser sulking and randoming tinker into storm spirit or something.

Neon Belly posted:

People certainly suck, but I also recommend muting folks at the first sign of being a jerk. Whole team muted? Time to put on a podcast.

Just mute everyone at the start of every game anyways. It helps you learn how to pay attention to the minimap.

Nichael posted:

My behavior score's good last I checked. I never say anything rude in game.

edit: I just checked, it's "[Developer] behavior_score: Normal" which is apparently the highest. Dota is just filled with lovely people top to bottom.

It always fascinates me how people refuse to play as a team game yet make a point of playing a team game like DotA. The whole reason I quit is that I got tired of playing support every single game and when I picked Juggernaut or something, someone would inevitably have a melt down and I'd get forced into the jungle before a quick loss. If you roll for carry and lose just grow up, people.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 13, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

It always fascinates me how people refuse to play as a team game yet make a point of playing a team game like DotA. The whole reason I quit is that I got tired of playing support every single game and when I picked Juggernaut or something, someone would inevitably have a melt down and I'd get forced into the jungle before a quick loss. If you roll for carry and lose just grow up, people.

I don't even mind playing support every game, I like it. I just am getting annoyed at players in any role having a meltdown at the pick screen. I've played this game since 2012, but it feels worse now (though that could be because I've been on a steady downward trend in MMR since like September or so). Muting is almost certainly the best option.

Also for as much xenophobic poo poo that the Dota community vomits up about Peruvians, I swear I lose the vast majority of games where guys like me (white, American males) are on the mic, audibly sighing and microing everyone. Non-Americans have always seemed much more chill in Dota, and that results in a better win chance.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 13, 2017

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Pressing random every game was and still is how I have fun when playing Dota. Less fun now, and less dota now, but still random every drat game unless I have like a compendium quest of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

There are a lot of semicarries that make great supports. It’s probably better to think about the 4/5 as “heroes that are good without items” rather than MUST BE DAZZLE OR LICH.

Monkey King is one of my favorite support heroes because he can do an incredibly amount of ganking / disruption with pretty much zero farm. Just go phase / wand / medallion and purchase wards. If you’re owning then you can go desolator or whatever.