Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Insulation tape up the top of the cymbals with the appropriate colours. It helps immensely for people not use to an actual drumkit.

She has a problem with the kick, not matching colors to the toms/cymbals. For some reason she can't manage to get her leg in a spot where it's comfortable to put her foot down without the kick coming back and hitting her in the leg. I don't have a problem with this so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/938068249631232000

give run a listen if you haven't, it should be pretty drat fun and I'm tired as hell as Foo Fighters songs
the QOTSA song is maybe my least favorite off the new album, but still should be great

stone sour whatever

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Run is an absolutely phenomenal song and will be a blast on drums at least

New QOTSA should be fun, don't know that Stone Sour song but that's a day 1 pack buy for me probably

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Sad about any QotSA that isn't I Appear Missing. Bassline is fun as hell on that one.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Quinctia posted:

Sad about any QotSA that isn't I Appear Missing. Bassline is fun as hell on that one.

well, it's very fun in rocksmith at least

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Oh hey the Spinal Tap album just appeared in my Ready to Install list! I guess they finally got the rights sorted out!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RockBand/status/940597165231140868

3 awful songs and a not good song by a once good band

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've been wondering when Feel It Still was gonna show up, that one should be fun to drum

Don't think those other 3 are good for anything

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Kaboobi posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RockBand/status/940597165231140868

3 awful songs and a not good song by a once good band

Boy do I feel out of touch. :corsair: Of these, I've literally only even heard the name of Demi Lovato, and I couldn't have named a song by her yesterday, gun to my head. I guess I'm skipping these? Also, how are they on pack SIX of this "off the charts" bullshit already? NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DLC! I get these are populist hits, but are casuals actually still buying DLC as we near 2018? I guess I'm soured by the SA/reddit echochamber of tryhards, but I would legitimately have assumed that by now the game's active playerbase was back to the couple thousand of us who were playing customs in 2013 every day. I would sincerely love to see their data on this stuff. I obviously have no idea who their audience is.

edit: vvv ohhhh, that one. Yeah, that poo poo sucks.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 12, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

Boy do I feel out of touch. :corsair: Of these, I've literally only even heard the name of Demi Lovato, and I couldn't have named a song by her yesterday, gun to my head. I guess I'm skipping these? Also, how are they on pack SIX of this "off the charts" bullshit already? NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DLC! I get these are populist hits, but are casuals actually still buying DLC as we near 2018? I guess I'm soured by the SA/reddit echochamber of tryhards, but I would legitimately have assumed that by now the game's active playerbase was back to the couple thousand of us who were playing customs in 2013 every day. I would sincerely love to see their data on this stuff. I obviously have no idea who their audience is.

Imagine Dragons has an on-disc song in RB4 (I Bet My Life) so you've definitely heard of them :v:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Beelzebozo posted:

edit: vvv ohhhh, that one. Yeah, that poo poo sucks.

People listen to the radio still. Weird but true. Billboard top 100 pop stuff is still the best selling music out there. Whether or not it translates to rock band sales, I don’t know, but if they’re released this many pop songs some of them must be selling.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Beelzebozo posted:

I get these are populist hits, but are casuals actually still buying DLC as we near 2018? I guess I'm soured by the SA/reddit echochamber of tryhards, but I would legitimately have assumed that by now the game's active playerbase was back to the couple thousand of us who were playing customs in 2013 every day. I would sincerely love to see their data on this stuff. I obviously have no idea who their audience is.

Independent of "casuals" being a silly term, it shouldn't be a shock that people prefer to play music they like to listen to. And pop music tends to be...well, popular. The folks chomping at the bit for more Dragonforce will always be a niche.

edit: disclaimer that I don't actually have inside info to sales because 1) I haven't worked at Harmonix in two years (almost to the day!) 2) I never paid attention to that stuff when I did.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah, I've made my piece with that. Very little top 100 music is made with wooden instruments.

So this time around we get a turtle on my knee, a lady screeching soul while a guy fixes the power cord on a subwoofer, some fun dip, and a catchy singing dude with a bunch of horns that are going to feel really weird charted to guitars.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Alakaiser posted:

people prefer to play music they like to listen to.

I wish there were a popular current gen video game that was purely karaoke focused, like SingStar or whatever. I can fully understand people wanting to sing along to pop music, but I refuse to believe anyone who plays much Rock Band wants to play these boring rear end 0-tier guitar charts very often. And if these songs are being put out for party-havers who don't play much Rock Band, then I guess I don't understand how that audience is regularly purchasing brand new DLC releases in strong enough numbers to warrant being catered to.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Attention at least has a bass line.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I really resent this notion that if one doesn't like pop music they want DragonForce. Not cool.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

I'm about as far from a "casual" player as you can get and, outside of the rivals season passes, the only dlc I buy anymore is pop music. I've had enough dad rock and boring metal for a lifetime thanks to the last 10 years of rock band. Gimme more sia, more bruno mars. Gimme that charli xcx song from gh live.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I play a lot but have never really cared about how hard a song is. If it's got a fun chart, it's got a fun chart, I'm not wringing my hands over whether I'm nailing that one solo or piano parts charted to guitar or anything like that. And if you're referring to popular music as

flakeloaf posted:

a lady screeching soul while a guy fixes the power cord on a subwoofer
then you're 100% out of touch with popular music over the last... what, 5ish years?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Or you can know what things are without liking them or instantly recognizing their place in the four-piece plastic instrument video game. That can be a thing too. What would the "guitar" track look like for that song? Are red and yellow the only colours on the drum track?

One of the things that always impressed me about Casey Kasem is how he could talk so enthusiastically about music from just about any genre and era, and he sounded just as credible introducing bands his parents liked as he did introducing the ones his grandkids would enjoy.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

One of the things that always impressed me about Casey Kasem is how he could talk so enthusiastically about music from just about any genre and era, and he sounded just as credible introducing bands his parents liked as he did introducing the ones his grandkids would enjoy.
e: too harsh for plastic instruments.
Making wacky references to how it sounds like screeching and a malfunctioning subwoofer isn't doing that, though, which is my point. I don't like any of those songs either, but there are much better ways to talk about music you don't like. What you said comes off way more like shouting "I don't get modern music" rather than being any sort of criticism of the music itself.
You also didn't say too much about the game other than saying trumpets are gonna sound weird charted to guitar, which eh. The whole thing about whether non-guitar instruments should be charted to guitar is something I don't think anyone other than diehards really care about, and even then I don't think it's universal. It's definitely not the only time they've done it, either.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 12, 2017

Tinkeron
Sep 11, 2005
Revealing my absolute lack of knowledge about the music world in reality, it still made me smile/double take to hear Portugal the Man on the radio, because to me they were just "that one RBN song band". You guys made it! Or were possibly massively famous already or elsewhere or

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

e: too harsh for plastic instruments.
Making wacky references to how it sounds like screeching and a malfunctioning subwoofer isn't doing that, though, which is my point. I don't like any of those songs either, but there are much better ways to talk about music you don't like.

Do I have to clear a certain bar for reverence of not-a-song-by-a-rock-band songs before I get to have an opinion about one song in a group of four that doesn't happen to appeal to me? If you know Demi Lovato personally, or you were involved in the crafting of her popular song that I don't particularly like because her soul sounds forced and it sounds like it was mixed during a thunderstorm, and I've personally offended you with my comments then I guess I'll just have to get over it.

Pop music sells DLC packs, and it's understandable if a lot of "Big Giant Top 40 Hits XIV" tracks overlap with what's being offered as DLC. Wooden Instrument Bands don't get the kind of airplay they used to, and I trust HMX to know their own demographics so sure, they're going to pick the songs they figure most of their players want. I'd give you two bucks for Feel It Still and I'd buy Thunder if I were drunk-DLCing, but they aren't songs that make me want to step away from the mic, which I imagine also fits into the demographic that HMX figures are most likely to be buying the most music. At this point I'd bet my own money on that too.

Big Dave posted:

I've had enough dad rock and boring metal for a lifetime thanks to the last 10 years of rock band.

Also this. I don't need any more six-star songs I can't play; I've got lots of those already. Not that I still wouldn't buy a recording of Layne Staley ordering a pizza if it showed up on the store, but I'd probably still fail it :).

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Our long nightmare is over and we reached bloodstone so bring on the imagine dragons spotlight song cuz I don't give a fuuuuuck

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I like the Imagine Dragons song but my disconnect between 'fun to listen to' and 'fun to play on plastic instruments' is huuuuge so v:shobon:v

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot imagine that song being fun on any instrument

Especially if you're doing vocals. Enjoy saying the word THUNDER seventy times in 3 minutes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

kumba posted:

I cannot imagine that song being fun on any instrument

Especially if you're doing vocals. Enjoy saying the word THUNDER seventy times in 3 minutes

I insist the end of Pearl Jam's "Black" is among the goofiest examples, and Roxanne would be pretty horrid too, but neither tops the copy of Red Red Wine that made it to Lips. I'm pretty sure they just clone-stamped the "red red wine you make me feel so fine" rap onto the end of the song a few dozen times to inflate gameplay hours.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 13, 2017

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I changed my mind

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Merijn posted:

I changed my mind

hahahahahahahaha holy poo poo i thought i was being hyperbolic with that seventy number

good grief

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Do I have to clear a certain bar for reverence of not-a-song-by-a-rock-band songs before I get to have an opinion about one song in a group of four that doesn't happen to appeal to me? If you know Demi Lovato personally, or you were involved in the crafting of her popular song that I don't particularly like because her soul sounds forced and it sounds like it was mixed during a thunderstorm, and I've personally offended you with my comments then I guess I'll just have to get over it.
No, but typically there's more to say about something than "lol it sounds broken." Wacky comparisons are the lamest form of offering your opinion because it doesn't actually say anything other than "I don't like it" and it makes you sound like an out-of-touch grandpa more than anything else. It's half a step away from "kids these days!!!" I'm not expecting you or anyone to express reverence, saying your criticism is lame and bad is not the same as me thinking everyone needs to like it. And if you somehow took what I said as being personally affronted you don't like the music I also said I didn't like, you're completely misreading me.

Mostly, I'm just tired of the endless "the game is called ROCK Band where are the real instruments" discussion because it's been talked to death and there never seems to be an opinion more nuanced than "I don't like this music, therefore I don't see how anyone could get enjoyment out of this DLC."

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Dr Zaius posted:

I really resent this notion that if one doesn't like pop music they want DragonForce. Not cool.

I apologize that what I thought was obvious hyperbole was not interpreted that way. I should really know better. Obviously this poo poo is a spectrum - it's just far from an even distribution.

edit: We authored a panflute to the guitar on a Justin Bieber song and I have no regrets.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Not every song needs to be Dragonforce, but at the same time it's hard to get pumped for songs that are likely going to be 0 or 1 dot tier on every instrument

Except for Portugal. the Man, they and that song own and I will buy that immediately

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Really the thing you should all be surprised about is that it isn't country DLC every single week, if my family/high school friends are anything to go by.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Even I, as a metalhead, would be mostly fine with that as long as the songs are fun

That Brad Paisley (I think?) on-disc song Start a Band is surprisingly fun on drums and guitar

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sturgill Simpson would be fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrsrOB0zNQ

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I'm just skimming the thread but the Thundercats theme is in the game now?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

Speaking of, I'd love some Thundercat in this game.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

Speaking of, I'd love some Thundercat in this game.

This would own.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Alakaiser posted:

Really the thing you should all be surprised about is that it isn't country DLC every single week, if my family/high school friends are anything to go by.

I think "that accent" sounds ridiculous but drat if a lot of country songs that made it to RB aren't fun to play.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Brad Paisley is a good guitarist.

Really, I'm just upset that "John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16," a real song by Keith Urban yes I am serious, is still not in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

DaWolfey posted:

no just thunderbirds