Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I'm 34 and had like nearly every game since the mid-90s (although I was a Gamebreaker guy on the original PS because the run game was better dont @ me).

Also, I know who he is, I just didn't know if he is worth a poo poo as a coach.

He was OC at Utah for a bit, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I didn't hear much about Houston this year--what did the offense look like? How'd he do with whatever TAMU transfer he got?

Oh I know. I'm just referring to the teens he's recruiting. He started as Utah QB coach shortly after graduating, then a year as OC/QB coach. Then he coached QB for Mullen at MSU during the Dak Prescott years. Then he spent this past year as Houston's OC/QB coach. I didn't follow any of those programs closely, but having coached Dak and already having a close relationship with Mullen seems like strong pedigree. The fact that he went from OC at a very good G5 school to go back to position coach at UF seems like a really good pull.

It'd be good if some Utah/MSU/Houston goons could chime in.

Big Piece O Shit fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Oh I know. I'm just referring to the teens he's recruiting. He started as Utah QB coach shortly after graduating, then a year as OC/QB coach. Then he coached QB for Mullen at MSU during the Dak Prescott years. Then he spent this past year as Houston's OC/QB coach. I didn't follow any of those programs closely, but having coached Dak and already having a close relationship with Mullen seems like strong pedigree. The fact that he went from OC at a very good G5 school to go back to position coach at UF seems like a really good pull.

:wink:

Ok then, I'm way down with the hire. Young guy too, I wonder how he recruits?

I knew vaguely about the OC/QB thing at Utah (he was Co-OC right?) and it was a big deal because he was super young then.

Sounds good man. And Mullen's the man regardless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Jesus gently caress you are dense, and that was 11 years ago, it wasn't what I was talking about. It's being a respectable program.

Because the Big East's bowl tie ins were a joke.

Anyway, supposedly Rutgers and South Carolina are both trying to hire Phil Long from Ole Miss.

The point remains the same: your program sucks rear end. It’s okay to admit this. Almost all of us root for at least one terrible sports team. I don’t go around claiming that the Detroit Lions are historically an average franchise and that they’ll shut everyone else up one day.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Is this good or bad? Tell me how to feel.

He was a horrendous OC at Utah but they promoted him way too early so I don’t think it’s his fault. He has way more experience now and is probably fine as QB coach with Mullen as the primary playcaller. As mentioned he was Dak’s QB coach at Miss St so that’s a good sign

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 13, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In news literally only I care about

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/940948258230276096

New Mexico wasn’t very good this year but they run a really cool shotgun triple option that might be my favorite on all of college football from pure dorky schematic level. It tore some teams up last year too so it can definitely work. More importantly it mean GA Southern is back to being a triple option team as god intended.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 13, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Michigan has fired head strength coach Kevin Tolbert

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

DJExile posted:

Did they have a bunch of injuries or something?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Read this as former MSU basketball player Kelvin Torbert

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Did they have a bunch of injuries or something?

Don't think so, but hard to say. He's only been there 3 years. It was officially a "will not return" phrasing so for all I know he just got sick of working with Harbaugh.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

S&C coaches are one of those positions that fans never think about but is probably at least as important as your OC or DC

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

S&C coaches are one of those positions that fans never think about but is probably at least as important as your OC or DC

Iowa (where it’s probably the most important job on staff because we’re trying to get two star recruits to play like four and five stars) pays the strength coach the same salary as the DC and more than the OC

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Iowa (where it’s probably the most important job on staff because we’re trying to get two star recruits to play like four and five stars) pays the strength coach the same salary as the DC and more than the OC

Is it still the same one who almost killed a bunch of guys?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I didn't hear much about Houston this year--what did the offense look like? How'd he do with whatever TAMU transfer he got?

Wasn't much to hear about this year other than Ed Oliver. Houston was thoroughly meh. I wasn't impressed with Johnson's offense and he called way too many flats and screens. The offense sputtered along until Deriq King was promoted from the wide receiver corps and the Herman-era power spread came back. Losing Johnson to Florida seems like a win-win for everyone. Major Applewhite is calling plays for the Hawaii Bowl.

Kyle Allen (the TAMU transfer) was benched three games in and never should have come to UH. He wasn't a fit for either the power spread or whatever it was Johnson was trying to do, and if anything he was used by Tom Herman for publicity. He's at least graduating this month and he'll get to grad transfer to show the NFL what he can do.

Next year should be a lot more exciting with Ed Oliver's last year in college, a decent QB, and a friendlier schedule. We're expecting to lose Major next season.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I think the S&C coach spends more time with the players than anyone else on the staff.

Florida's S&C program was in such shambles under Mac that players were paying out-of-pocket private trainers that were not affiliated with the university.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Is it still the same one who almost killed a bunch of guys?

I mean not kill them but yeah he put a bunch of kids in the hospital with a dumb squat workout one year. He should have been fired for it but wasn’t because he’s been super good at his job if you can ignore the totally minor issue of once giving players early stage kidney failure.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think the S&C coach spends more time with the players than anyone else on the staff.

Florida's S&C program was in such shambles under Mac that players were paying out-of-pocket private trainers that were not affiliated with the university.

Seriously? I hadn't seen this. Not that I don't believe it, but source?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If you think about it, it has to be true. Players can pretty much work out whenever their schedule permits, outside of required workouts, and the S&C staff is on campus all the time, even when coaches are out recruiting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

S&C Coach is probably one of the sweetest gigs in coaching. You normally get paid well, you don't travel nearly as much as the other coaches, and you are almost always unknown unless you gently caress something up real bad.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Harbaugh has made a bunch of comments in the media the past few weeks about players/the team needing to be stronger next year, people assumed it was just coach speak for "better at football", but I guess he was being literal

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Most of college level S&C programs are complete garbage, and we'd see a lot less knee injuries with higher requirements.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

S&C Coach is probably one of the sweetest gigs in coaching. You normally get paid well, you don't travel nearly as much as the other coaches, and you are almost always unknown unless you gently caress something up real bad.

Aren't S&C coaches used as get back coaches on gameday a lot?

Which seems either really fun or really stressful, I'm not sure which.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I was reading the bio for Nebraska's new S&C coach last week in part because he went to the same high school as me, and:

quote:

He and his wife, Sarah, have five children: Sonja, Bronx, Jaggar, Capri and Zolie.

I have full faith in his abilities to beef up our players now. Also,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee nabbed Austin Thomas from LSU

quote:

Austin Thomas is leaving LSU to join Tennessee's staff under new coach Jeremy Pruitt, sources close to the situation told 247Sports on Wednesday.

As the general manager for the Tigers, the Tennessee native was involved in nearly every aspect of the Tigers' program from recruiting and player personnel to football operations and working alongside the coaching staff.

Thomas is expected to serve in a similar role on Pruitt's initial staff with at Tennessee, and his addition must be considered a coup for the new coach of the Vols.

Though he has no direct ties to Pruitt, Thomas has crossed paths with Tennessee's new coach on the recruiting trail and does have a tie to the former Hall of Fame coach now sitting in the top spot in the Vols' athletic director.

Thomas has been at LSU for nearly five years. He joined the Tigers' staff in April 2013 — LSU re-hired him last year after he spent three months at USC — and helped assemble recruiting classes ranked second, fifth and second nationally in 2014, 2015 and 2016. In 2017, the Tigers plucked the No. 2- (JaCoby Stevens) and No. 4-ranked (Jacob Phillips) players in the state of Tennessee.

When the Tigers made interim coach Ed Orgeron their full-time head coach last November, Thomas was promoted to general manager, where he is an influential and integral part of LSU's recruiting operation.

Thomas "leads the way in the oversight and management of the entire LSU football program" and is "one of the top personnel managers in all of college football," according to his bio on LSU's official website.

Part of his role with the Tigers includes working with NFL personnel to aid LSU's players at the next level.

His salary at LSU was $125,000, according to Ross Dellenger of the The Advocate in Baton Rouge.

I dont know much about the guy other than the above but from what I’ve heard from LSU people is this is a big get for UT and they’re sad to see him go.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Ehud posted:

Seriously? I hadn't seen this. Not that I don't believe it, but source?

SI story about Mullen 's hire

quote:

Mullen also has to revamp Florida’s strength program. This might be the most critical area of concern for any new coach, but it’s especially important for Mullen because the Gators’ strength program was in shambles near the end of McElwain’s tenure. Some players were going off campus to work with former Olympic sprinter Tim Montgomery, who certainly knows about speed. But he isn’t employed by the school, and he isn’t working with the football coaches. If multiple players from any of college football’s elite programs were paying for their own training off campus, it would immediately raise red flags about the players’ view of the quality of the in-house program. Mullen is expected to bring strength coach Nick Savage from Mississippi State, and judging by what he told players in his first meeting with them, they may be too tired to leave campus to work with anyone else.

Extra lovely that it was with Tim Montgomery who is shady af and involved with BALCO and busted using dope.

But yeah it speaks volumes of your S&C program if players are going outside for training. Pathetic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Aren't S&C coaches used as get back coaches on gameday a lot?

Which seems either really fun or really stressful, I'm not sure which.

They are, yeah.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Real Name Grover posted:

Glad to see dwarven Slayers are getting gainful employment this day and age

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Real Name Grover posted:

I was reading the bio for Nebraska's new S&C coach last week in part because he went to the same high school as me, and:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

Nebraska's new S&C coach

Holy poo poo you got Zangief as your Strength coach!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you see a coach on the sideline going bananas and does not have a headset, you can very safely assume that's the S&C guy.

E: someone post that picture of the amazing S&C coach from.... ULL? I think? that was bleeding on the sidelines in some bowl game a few years ago.

E2: Rusty Whitt!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DJExile posted:

If you see a coach on the sideline going bananas and does not have a headset, you can very safely assume that's the S&C guy.

This exactly describes FSU SC Vic Viloria. He's always jumping around like a mad man. He really pissed off David Cutcliff a few years back. I think Cutcliff called him a jester or something.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT used to have an amazing S&C guy who was one of the best in the country and undoubtedly a major factor in VT's early days but much like Beamer he got complacent and by the end of it all VT had way too many injuries year-to-year for it to just be bad luck. Fuente brought in a new guy and things are much better as not only do injuries seem fewer but they seem much better conditioned and it's helping outlast some of these other teams late in the game.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I wonder if Trump is also President in whatever timeline KJI is posting from.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Noctone posted:

I wonder if Trump is also President in whatever timeline KJI is posting from.

Despite being a Michiganer, a young Gerald Ford elects to travel to the titan of the day Rutgers to play football, which results in a brief professional career, and has an illustrious career in the US Navy, rising to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. Reagan easily defeats Carter in the 1976 election, through the amazing unpopularity of Agnew's brief presidency, so long story short, that's why President Orrin Hatch is traveling to West Germany next week to meet with Premier Putin to discuss arms reductions in the Aegean.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I would scoff at the affectation, but dealing with teenagers who think they're hot poo poo you probably have to do things like style yourself to look like Zangief in order to command their attention.

Also, if my high school's gossip was any indication, anabolic steroids are a pretty big part of some players' S&C. It's amazing that what happened to Grier doesn't happen more often.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So things at Kent are weird.

FBScoops posted:

Paul Haynes was fired as Kent State’s head coach on Nov. 22. It’s now Dec. 13 and all but two FBS head coaching jobs have been filled — one of them being Kent State. So, what’s going on?

Well, before explaining this year’s search, we remind you that Kent State AD Joel Nielsen shopped the job to a number of coaches last year; but ultimately could not find any takers and brought Paul Haynes back for another season. So, heading into this offseason surely he had someone ready to go, right?

Well, by all indications, the answer to that is yes. This search unquestionably was focused on South Dakota head coach Bob Nielson. The 58-year-old has been the head coach at six schools since 1989, including a very successful run at Division II Minnesota Duluth, and took the Coyotes to the FCS playoffs this season after a 4-7 debut. Alas, sources tell FootballScoop Nielson turned down the opportunity to lead Kent State, and has since publicly confirmed he intends to remain at South Dakota.

Once Bob Nielson decided to stay at South Dakota, this one got weird.

Athletic director Joel Nielsen focused the search on successful FCS, Division II & III head coaches, speaking with dozens and meeting with quite a few. One source told FootballScoop, “Whether technically offered or not, at least 15 coaches have turned this one down.”

Throughout this search, sources told FootballScoop that Ed Warinner has remained the one Power 5 assistant that has shown true interest. We’re told the veteran Power 5 assistant and current Minnesota run game coordinator has the support of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and P.J. Fleck for the job. And yet, somehow, Warinner has not been offered the job.

There has been some chatter about Mount Union head coach Vince Kehres being a candidate once his season is complete. The Purple Raiders will play for their 13th national championship against Mary Hardin-Baylor on Friday night. At this time we’re told there has not been contact (which is surprising given the number of coaches who have been contacted) but we also hear that Kehres would listen if contacted after the season.

Now, here is a curveball that we weren’t expecting when checking up on this search today. Within the last week, Nielsen interviewed Garrett Riley, the younger brother of Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley. Riley graduated from college in 2012 and recently completed his first season as an on-the-field FBS coach, working as Kansas’s quarterbacks coach. Although we understand Nielsen is interviewing another lower level head coach today, sources tell us Riley remains a candidate for the job.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
How bad a job is Kent State that you can't find anyone who wants the job, except maybe the quarterbacks coach at loving Kansas?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How bad a job is Kent State that you can't find anyone who wants the job, except maybe the quarterbacks coach at loving Kansas?

After getting turned down by the coach of the 3rd best program in the Dakotas

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I hope the Mount Union guy doesn't leave for loving Kent State

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

They should bring Darrell Hazell back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I hope the Mount Union guy doesn't leave for loving Kent State

I mean it’s not like you’re making a lot of money or getting flooded with FBS job offers coaching DIII

• Locked thread