Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

And it took margins of 92 and 96 in Black Men and Women to get there.

White voters were completely fine with voting for a racist pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

White people are the worst.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Neodoomium posted:

Well to be fair, looking at the numbers, a lot of them probably didn't vote at all.

I like to think that some of those were people that learned from voting for Trump that it was better to stay home and just not vote for anyone if you think your candidate is horrible but you just can't stand the idea of voting for a *gasp* Democrat.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sandpuppy posted:

"Roy Moore? Never heard of 'im"

Yeah righto. What's his name then?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rowe:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Scott Stantis' favorite singer, Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens, died, so that'll be discussed in Prickly City in two weeks.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Change the smoke to "wife beaters", tweet at lester, enjoy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm perfectly OK with exposing sexual harassment in the name of deposing Trump but this is implying that this should stop once he's out.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hm, I wonder why the wife beater has been so fixated on discrediting assault allegations.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Such a low bar to clear and Alabama does it with such a thin margin.
:confuoot:

To be fair practically all Alabamians that voted for Moore believed that the accusations were made up.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The non-molesters are confused that Trump still isn't facing punishment for his actions. AGC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't that the guy who got fired from his job for making lovely political comics about how women suck.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is one where I really want to know what was in the original and what is a product of the cultural translation to Norwegian.

The guy's a racist gently caress and prying into her generic makeup.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Katt posted:

To be fair practically all Alabamians that voted for Moore believed that the accusations were made up.

You're still saying that the great majority of Alabama Republicans believed that the accusations are lies. The prevailing vocal opinion seems to be that when faced with a choice between a Republican child molester and a Democrat who scored convictions against child murderers, the Republicans decided they'd just have to hold their noses and vote for the paedophile.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

On top of everything else I'm glad Jones gave this guy a break.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trump must be delighted Moore lost after he came out so strongly opposed to him and insisted that people not vote for him.

Source: Donald Trump.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jedit posted:

You're still saying that the great majority of Alabama Republicans believed that the accusations are lies. The prevailing vocal opinion seems togreat be that when faced with a choice between a Republican child molester and a Democrat who scored convictions against child murderers, the Republicans decided they'd just have to hold their noses and vote for the paedophile.

Roughly half of last year's Trump voters stayed home for this election versus 90+% of last year's Hillary voters. That indicates there were quite a few Republicans who, while they wouldn't vote for a Democrat, still refused to vote for a pedophile with an R next to his name.

That's not great, but it's somewhat better than your portrayal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I, uh... what?

Jerusalem posted:

Trump must be delighted Moore lost after he came out so strongly opposed to him and insisted that people not vote for him.

That's the spin a significant portion of the MAGA crowd is going with. This is all part of some 3-dimensional chess game Trump is playing. The rest of them are blaming Mitch McConnell and THE DEEP STATE.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Jerusalem posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940904649728708609

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is one where I really want to know what was in the original and what is a product of the cultural translation to Norwegian.

I can't say for sure, but considering snus and hockey are both more typically Swedish than Norwegian I'm assuming only the city names were changed.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I think practically every cartoonist in this thread was treating a Moore victory as a given, and I crave the responses.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Well to be fair, looking at the numbers, a lot of them probably didn't vote at all.

I like to think that some of those were people that learned from voting for Trump that it was better to stay home and just not vote for anyone if you think your candidate is horrible but you just can't stand the idea of voting for a *gasp* Democrat.

Most people don't vote, you know

The nonvoters are still the ones we need to reach; turnout is what most reliably decides elections. We need to make "our" nonvoters into voters, and their voters into nonvoters. That's why voter-suppression is such a dangerous thing, and casual GOP voters not wanting to show up and press a button for a pedophile who is banned from the mall is what allowed us to win a senate seat in Alabama.

What I'm saying is maybe don't sound so cynical about the idea :shrug:

e:
That said, I am kind of tired of having every election be about what we're trying to prevent if the GOP wins. Focusing entirely on the Republican in the race allows them better control over the narrative.

Like, I realized upon seeing a tweet announcing Doug Jones' victory that I previously had no idea what Doug Jones looks like, because this election was all about Roy Moore and the fact that "thou shalt not diddleth the little children" is not one of the Ten Commandments etc etc etc. Demoralizing likely GOP voters is an important step, but it's only half the equation, the other half being energizing our own base, and beating a pedophile with a margin of 1.5% is the best we can hope for if we don't make more of an effort there.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 13, 2017

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Question: What would Ben Garrison draw if he was Finnish?

Answer:

Pictured far-right presidential candidate Laura Huhtasaari.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Why does the EU duck have two heads?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
What does Finnish nationalists think of Russia?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stefu posted:

Question: What would Ben Garrison draw if he was Finnish and didn't label every drat thing?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm more interested in Ben's thoughts on his precious "Unsinkable" Roy Moore. :allears:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm more interested in Ben's thoughts on his precious "Unsinkable" Roy Moore. :allears:

He's already following the narrative that it was rigged against Trump's second pick, that dems are weaponizing women making sexual allegations that "must be believed" and that women should come out saying bad things about Doug Jones in retaliation.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Avirosb posted:

There were nationalist marches on independence day last wednesday, an explicit nazi march and an "unaffiliated" patriotic march with torches shortly after. Russian nazbols were welcome in both.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ahahahahaha, the spin is in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread lately - was there the annual "It snowed, therefor global warming can't exist" comics in response to it snowing in Texas?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

https://twitter.com/TheScottfather/status/940945785268719617
https://twitter.com/sstantis/status/940953970788458497

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Roughly half of last year's Trump voters stayed home for this election versus 90+% of last year's Hillary voters. That indicates there were quite a few Republicans who, while they wouldn't vote for a Democrat, still refused to vote for a pedophile with an R next to his name.

That's not great, but it's somewhat better than your portrayal.

OK. I'm also told that despite the best efforts of the GOP black voters turned out in larger numbers than usual and that helped swing the result. Which makes sense, black people swinging has always been an integral part of Alabama politics.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Avirosb posted:

"Like Hitler, Russia has some good ideas about gays, jews, and foreigners."

e: Also, Russian-paid nazi agitators are everywhere.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

lmao, loving love this guy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
90% of the people who voted for Hillary showed up for Jones, only 40% of the people who voted for Trump showed up for Moore. It was not a massive Democratic surge, it was an unwillingness among Republicans to vote for a horrible candidate. That and amazingly actually getting Democrats to show up in an off year election in December.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

90% of the people who voted for Hillary showed up for Jones, only 40% of the people who voted for Trump showed up for Moore. It was not a massive Democratic surge, it was an unwillingness among Republicans to vote for a horrible candidate. That and amazingly actually getting Democrats to show up in an off year election in December.

For a midterm election that IS a surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

For an off year special election getting 90% of the turnout of a presidential year is a massive surge. Hell having 40% is still alot, in normal circumstances people just don't come out to these.

• Locked thread