Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Detective No. 27 posted:

Today I learned that this trend of sequel series is nothing new, with there being a Leave it Beaver sequel series that ran until 1989.

Plus at least one movie that was released I think in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Who was the boss, though?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Volcott posted:

Who was the boss, though?

Mona, dude. Come on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But where does Munch fit in?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Today I learned that this trend of sequel series is nothing new, with there being a Leave it Beaver sequel series that ran until 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSXsxic6L8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember a Leave it to Beaver sequel even existing. Certainly not for 105 episodes.

quote:

The New Leave It to Beaver (also known as Still the Beaver) is an American sitcom sequel to the original 1957–1963 sitcom Leave It to Beaver. The series began with the 1983 reunion television movie Still the Beaver, that aired on CBS in March 1983.[2][3] The success of the television movie prompted the creation of a revival series, also titled Still the Beaver, that aired on the Disney Channel from 1984 to 1985. In 1986, the series was picked up by TBS where it aired until June 1989.[4][1] A DVD release is not expected, as the show's distributor went out of business in 1993, and the tapes have been lost. It is unknown if the tapes will be found.

Lost in time, like tears in rain.

One thing about the Beaver that aged well was that episode where he competes on a quiz show and wins a transistor radio. All of his classmates listen to that day's episode, but Theodore isn't on it because they record the episodes in advance and play them later. But no one knows that so everyone calls him a liar while the Beaver suffers an existential crisis where he doubts his very existence. I've always found it weird how game shows tape so many episodes in advance, so that part still holds up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always found it weird how game shows tape so many episodes in advance, so that part still holds up.

It's way cheaper to film everything at once instead of having people keep coming back and having to set everything up again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The late 80s had a couple of sequels to 60s shows: Mission: Impossible had a one season revival as did The Munsters.

However, the real successes were in the subsequent decade, when big movie versions of 60s TV shows enjoyed a brief vogue: you had The Fugitive, The Addams Family and The Addams Family Values, Beverly Hillbillies, The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel, Mission: Impossible, The Saint, The Avengers, Wild Wild West, Charlie's Angels and probably more that I've forgotten about.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's way cheaper to film everything at once instead of having people keep coming back and having to set everything up again.

I get that. It's just odd that the process hasn't really changed in 50+ years. Game shows figured out the most efficient way to operate before the first man went to space.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This thread got me poking around on this website.

http://www.metv.com/stories/in-defense-of-cousin-oliver-on-the-brady-bunch

Lots of crap but a few interesting articles on topic

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Mad scientists of colour are still criminally underrepresented.

Star Trek TOS was pretty progressive for having a black mad scientist in the 60s

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
What the gently caress is Meego

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, but her Twitter is replete with reposted Breitbart and InfoWars articles.

From what I've seen Roseanne strikes me as somebody who is swayed by strongly worded arguments. I think in the early 90's when her show was fighting for gay rights, THAT was one of the most strongly worded arguments going on in society: Gay folks deserve equality, let them marry, don't treat them like deviants, etc. Now that they have a modicum of the things they fought for, Roseanne probably wants to move on the next thing, hoping she'll be on the right side of history again. But this time she's backing BeCheeto Mussolini.

She's made noise about bringing the show back with the premise that Dan faked his death and DJ died in Iraq. I'd rather just leave it as is, especially with everything after season 7 being pretty bad. I feel like most shows need to end around that time.

It was a good show though, and it made me realize what a talent John Goodman is. That show was well cast as gently caress, and even though I think it's a loving terrible show, I'm glad Johnny Galecki's getting paid from Big Bang Theory. It also gave Joss Whedon and Norm McDonald their breaks in Hollywood.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Laurie Metcalfe seems to be doing all right lately too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

What the gently caress is Meego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meego_(TV_series)

quote:

Meego is an American science fiction sitcom that ran for six episodes from September 1 to October 24, 1997 on the CBS television network as part of its Friday night Block Party program block; after its cancellation, seven additional episodes that were produced but left unaired in the United States were aired in some international markets (such as on Sky1 in the United Kingdom).

It had Michelle Trachtenberg, who I consider an extradimensional being thanks to Buffy The Vampire Slayer. That just adds Buffy/Angel, and The Adventures of Pete and Pete to that shared universe. The inclusion of Pete and Pete is canon that Buffy's dad is actually Iggy Pop.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

From what I've seen Roseanne strikes me as somebody who is swayed by strongly worded arguments. I think in the early 90's when her show was fighting for gay rights, THAT was one of the most strongly worded arguments going on in society: Gay folks deserve equality, let them marry, don't treat them like deviants, etc. Now that they have a modicum of the things they fought for, Roseanne probably wants to move on the next thing, hoping she'll be on the right side of history again. But this time she's backing BeCheeto Mussolini.

She's made noise about bringing the show back with the premise that Dan faked his death and DJ died in Iraq. I'd rather just leave it as is, especially with everything after season 7 being pretty bad. I feel like most shows need to end around that time.

It was a good show though, and it made me realize what a talent John Goodman is. That show was well cast as gently caress, and even though I think it's a loving terrible show, I'm glad Johnny Galecki's getting paid from Big Bang Theory. It also gave Joss Whedon and Norm McDonald their breaks in Hollywood.

Every Christmas I am pleasantly surprised to recognize Johnny Galecki in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Also I think it was Becky's husband who will be dead in Iraq. Mainly because he's dead in real life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Every Christmas I am pleasantly surprised to recognize Johnny Galecki in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Also I think it was Becky's husband who will be dead in Iraq. Mainly because he's dead in real life.

I think you're right but I believe initially it was supposed to be DJ.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone will have died in Iraq. The new show will take place in the hell for infidels. Which just so happens to be Lanford, IL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone will have died in Iraq. The new show will take place in the hell for infidels. Which just so happens to be Lanford, IL.

Sounds legit.

I feel like Delaware or one of the Dakotas might be a good sub-in though.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fresh Prince really spoke to me because it was a good sitcom with black actors I could identify with. Like they actually had real conversations about race that made me realize that the feelings I felt weren't so strange or uncommon. Roseanne was the same thing being a bi girl and growing up in a blue collar family. Dan and Roseanne's banter and struggles were so much like my parents and my dad looks like he could be John Goodman's brother so it really resonated with me.
So whenever you talk about Roseanne or Will Smith I will always be way to biased. But Roseanne's life has been a big existential mess. Compared to what she's been through she is somewhat ok? She also called out Louis CK over a year ago so there must still be some of that old justice driven Roseanne in there. I like to think that the bad stuff is just brain damage but man do cool people show themselves to be less and less cool.
Anyway, speaking of great meta replacement of actors moments, my favorite thing so far about the upcoming reunion (except for John Goodman in anything) is that both Beckies are going to be starring. Sarah Chalke is playing another role but I expect a lot of "two/old and new Becky jokes. And in the vein of things that didn't age well Sarah Chalke's hair was super fried but I like to think that it's on purpose because the family was poor so she couldn't afford proper haircare.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chalke was better than original Becky.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Roseanne also gave Mark Rosewater his big start, which is just funny.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

On the Full House side we have Urkel as the common thread, as a guest on Full House; FH then connects to Fuller House (FH2), Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, and a contentious connection to Golden Girls through the Del Rubio Singers (below), known only by their last name on GG, and only by their first names on Full House. Whether they're truly the same characters is something of a sticking point between Miller-Boyetteverse scholars.

Did they know the truth of their world? Is that why he silenced them?

Through these enterprising triplets we not only get Golden Girls, but Empty Nest, Nurses, and Golden Palace.

The Del Rubio Triplets were real life human beings. Their existence as guest stars on various sitcoms (and the Pee Wee Herman Christmas Special!) no more implies that those sitcoms exist in a single shared fictional universe, than does the existence of Ronald Reagan as President, or Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior in all of them as well.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mister Mind posted:

The Del Rubio Triplets were real life human beings. Their existence as guest stars on various sitcoms (and the Pee Wee Herman Christmas Special!) no more implies that those sitcoms exist in a single shared fictional universe, than does the existence of Ronald Reagan as President, or Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior in all of them as well.

Look dude ALF connected with an illegal immigrant over a mutual affection for Bob Barker and The Price is Right, two things I grew up loving, so either ALF is real or I'm a fictional character

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Mister Mind posted:

Whoops; I should have said they were the "Donatello Triplets" on Golden Girls, and went by first names on Full House. Changed post for accuracy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was about to say I was really loving confused by the Trump and Roseanne thing because I thought they were mortal enemies and then I realized I was thinking about Rosie O'Donnell

If she's a trump person now than this thing from her wiki is pretty lol in retrospect

quote:

Barr had crafted a "fierce working-class domestic goddess" persona in the eight years preceding her sitcom and wanted to do a realistic show about a strong mother who was not a victim of patriarchal consumerism.[1]

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chalke was better than original Becky.

Blaspheme!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Blaspheme!

If you didn't seesaw back and forth between which Becky you loved most then I don't know what to say.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arivia posted:

Roseanne also gave Mark Rosewater his big start, which is just funny.

I liked this story about how Lecy wanted to cut her hair, but the producers said no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZJ2YrnWJI

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Speaking of Roseanne, there was a bit on Tiny Toons back in the day where they parodied Roseanne but it was just an extended joke about “Haha, Roseanne and John Goodman are fat. Look at them being fat. They’re so fat.” Having not been super into Roseanne I’m not sure if they did make a lot of fat jokes on the show, but it still felt awfully mean-spirited, even at the time.

Come to think of it, a lot of 90s cartoons did a lot of laughing at fat people with no added joke.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Pastry of the Year posted:

Look dude ALF connected with an illegal immigrant over a mutual affection for Bob Barker and The Price is Right, two things I grew up loving, so either ALF is real or I'm a fictional character

Cliff Clavin's appearance on Jeopardy also implies our own unreality.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

Speaking of Roseanne, there was a bit on Tiny Toons back in the day where they parodied Roseanne but it was just an extended joke about “Haha, Roseanne and John Goodman are fat. Look at them being fat. They’re so fat.” Having not been super into Roseanne I’m not sure if they did make a lot of fat jokes on the show, but it still felt awfully mean-spirited, even at the time.

Come to think of it, a lot of 90s cartoons did a lot of laughing at fat people with no added joke.

Fat people are funny.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think all the Simpsons and Family Guy jokes at Disney are going to look strange now they are owned by them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't recall any jokes about Disney in the good Simpsons seasons

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
RIP that one bit in the Totally Not Disney world in Road to the Multiverse

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't recall any jokes about Disney in the good Simpsons seasons

While Itchy and Scratchy are mostly a take on Tom and Jerry, they liked to liken it to Mickey Mouse for stuff. Itchy and Scratchyland was a riff on Disneyland.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The creator of Itchy and Scratchy is also a riff on Walt Disney with the whole "Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors" line.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheKennedys posted:

RIP that one bit in the Totally Not Disney world in Road to the Multiverse

Also that part where they said "It's a Small World" is slave kids who work for the taskmaster from Temple of Doom.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

dirksteadfast posted:

I remember saying to my mum 'Wow, that lady is really fat' and my mum explaining to me that actually, that's what a lot of Americans look like. I'm not sure what the hell my reference point was for Americans before that show. Disney movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fat people are funny.

A really stoutist remark.