Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Is there a good reason I can't just put already vacuum-sealed chicken breasts (ie. bought from the grocery store like that) in to puddle? I'd season them before I finished them off in the pan anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dry salting red meat and poultry for at least 2 hours (up to two will give a more moist result*. SV is already better than other methods for this, so you could probably get away without doing it if you must. Still, it takes 30 seconds to use a ziplock, so it's a $0.10 bag and a little bit of time vs. slightly less moist, but still probably good meat.

*From, among other places, The Food Lab: the salt will first pull out moisture, but then** dissolve and travel into the meat, allowing most of the juices to be reabsorbed. It will then denture some proteins, such that they will not squeeze water out during cooking. Wet brining can achieve the same thing but takes longer, and it's harder to dry the surface before searing.

**Hence the 2 hr minimum requirement: if you don't have 2 hours, you will likely reduce moisture overall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm getting my sister an Anova for Christmas. What 3 recipes should I print out and send along?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drgitlin posted:

Is there a good reason I can't just put already vacuum-sealed chicken breasts (ie. bought from the grocery store like that) in to puddle? I'd season them before I finished them off in the pan anyway.

Yes you can definitely puddle pre-sealed food. YMMV whether the packaging will hold up to heat or not. Some bags do, some don't. Seasoning won't penetrate a post-cook chicken breast as well as in-bag. Costco sells individually sealed BSCB that are pre-brined and I used to just drop those in, but I find that some of the bags get tiny holes or tears in them from bumping against each other during shipping, and that makes the bag juices leak out. Doesn't hurt anything, just means you get braised chicken and a dirty puddle machine.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I'm getting my sister an Anova for Christmas. What 3 recipes should I print out and send along?

Kenjis pulled pork has always been a crowd pleaser

If she likes fish chefsteps salmon mi cuit is dope

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drgitlin posted:

Nah, I do that all the time. Adhesive can fall apart and leak but for short cooks like a chicken breast I haven't had that problem.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did sous vide beef wellington which was a huge hit, took me quite a while but well worth it even though I feel like I hosed up the mushroom/onion/garlic mix

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Subjunctive posted:

I did this chefsteps chuck roast this weekend, and it turned out awesome:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

I just used a 3 pound sale chuck roast piece from Kroger, and tied it up pretty. It fell apart a bit when I sliced it, but that would probably be much improved by buying a real roast, rather than a chuck roast steak intended for a crock pot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I am posting this here because I feel like if anyone knows boiled eggs, it's you guys.

I just followed Kenji's recipe for Ramen Eggs. It says to keep them at 180 for 6 minutes.

I make the marinade, I puncture the egg butts, I place them gently, I use a thermometer... I set a timer on my phone.

Every last loving egg ripped to poo poo even with the gentless peel. There was white snot on the inside around the yolk... but mostly I just destroyed 6 eggs that were NOT done.

1) gently caress I am frustrated.
2) Is this recipe just horse-poo poo?
3) If I need to keep fridge-cold eggs at 180 for 6 minutes (assuming #2 is not in effect) would the puddle not be better?
4) They are delicate and soft, and I was SO patient and delicate trying to peel them. Any tips or techniques?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
AFAICT, the only thing that keeps whites from falling apart semi-reliably is having huge temperature shocks. From refrigerator into steam or boil for 5.5 minutes, then shocked in a cold water bath.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/ajitsuke-tamago-japanese-marinated-soft-boiled-egg-recipe.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 13, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

AFAICT, the only thing that keeps whites from falling apart semi-reliably is having huge temperature shocks. From refrigerator into steam or boil for 5.5 minutes, then shocked in a cold water bath.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/ajitsuke-tamago-japanese-marinated-soft-boiled-egg-recipe.html

YEah that was the recipe I followed, to the "T" and no mention of a bath. Just to drain and peel under cold water. In fact I even put them in a bowl of cold water...

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah, it was a little off - still had a bit of a raw edge despite being infused into the meat. This sounds about right:

https://polyscienceculinary.com/blogs/resources/17216327-sous-vide-faq#COOK

"One difference to traditional methods is the use of raw garlic. Raw garlic added to foods like steak, chicken or fish does not cook at Sous Vide temperatures. The result is an overpowering flavor. To avoid this, we recommend adding garlic after it has been sautéed or roasted."

Not at 144F. I suppose for extended cooks below 130ish you'd be putting a lot of trust in your sous vide machine though.
garlic can develop weird flavours cooked sous vide(and also botulism), try using garlic powder in its place

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Feenix posted:

YEah that was the recipe I followed, to the "T" and no mention of a bath. Just to drain and peel under cold water. In fact I even put them in a bowl of cold water...

I didn't sous vide them but I just did kenjis six minute ramen eggs the other night and they worked fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

quote:

I just followed Kenji's recipe for Ramen Eggs. It says to keep them at 180 for 6 minutes.

It says to start with a boil, put in eggs and then reduce to a simmer. This means the eggs start in 212 water, which slopes down to simmering temp by the end of six minutes. If you maintained 180 the whole time, that would mean your eggs were exposed to much less heat overall, which would explain why:

quote:

There was white snot on the inside around the yolk

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 13, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry, my bad for not clarifying. Yeah I started at 212. It was a rolling boil. But it sounds like it does work for some so I guess despite following directions as closely as humanly possible (or so I thought) something didn’t go right...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the 6 minute timer supposed to start once you get it dialed down to simmer or once the eggs go in?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've had success with those ramen eggs before as well. I've also steamed them and that's worked great, often better than boiling.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carillon posted:

I've had success with those ramen eggs before as well. I've also steamed them and that's worked great, often better than boiling.

Instant pot is the only way to fly but I'd second steam as the next best.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this yet another reason on my list for an instant pot? For reals?

[Edit]
2nd attempt:

212 put eggs in. Reduce heat to Lowest that isn’t off.
Wait 1 minute
Set 6 min timer.
At end of 6 min temp is a hair over 190.
Placing in ice bath. (Will sit for 5 min.)

We will see...

Remains to be seen on the whites but the outsides held up a touch better. Peeling is still a poo poo show but at least I didn’t fully decapitate any.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 13, 2017

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ulmont posted:

Instant pot is the only way to fly but I'd second steam as the next best.

What's your instant pot ramen egg technique?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

large hands posted:

What's your instant pot ramen egg technique?

Not the ramen egg bit, just the boiling bit. It's literally "instant pot on manual for 6 minutes with 1c water and eggs on the egg shelf."

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Feenix posted:

Is this yet another reason on my list for an instant pot? For reals?

[Edit]
2nd attempt:

212 put eggs in. Reduce heat to Lowest that isn’t off.
Wait 1 minute
Set 6 min timer.
At end of 6 min temp is a hair over 190.
Placing in ice bath. (Will sit for 5 min.)

We will see...

Remains to be seen on the whites but the outsides held up a touch better. Peeling is still a poo poo show but at least I didn’t fully decapitate any.

Don't sperg about the temperature, just experiment until you find what works for you. FWIW, I don't worry much about the simmering/boiling distinction, I just remember roughly where my range sustains "low boil" and turn down the heat right after dropping the eggs in. It probably cooks the yolk a little bit more than ~senpai Kenji~ would do, but for a 20 minute weeknight ramen, I don't really care. I basically go:

1. Bring water to a boil
2. Slowly deposit egg into water
3. Start 6 minute timer, reduce heat
4. Once timer finishes, remove egg, put aside while working on other ingredients

No shell piercing, no ice water bath. Just shell the egg once I'm ready to use it.

The result after slicing - it's not runny but still soft:

It's not an exact science, I've definitely had runnier ones. :shrug:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks folks! I will experiment! I will say, the eggs did taste great in my ramen. The yolk added a nice creaminess to the broth and the unset whites set better once submerged for a min...

Delicious!

[Edit]

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 13, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So boneless skinless chicken breasts-what’s a good way to actually finish them?

I have two in the refrigerator that I cooked for 1.5 hours at 150F and am having them for dinner tomorrow. I took on breast and butterflied it so it’s pretty flat. Just trying to get an idea of the best way to finish it to make it taste better than the bland experience I’m used to with it-I normally get a lovely texture on the surface from a quick on sear in a little vegetable oil, but I’m not sure what other option there is.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

CrazyLittle posted:

Costco sells individually sealed BSCB that are pre-brined and I used to just drop those in, but I find that some of the bags get tiny holes or tears in them from bumping against each other during shipping, and that makes the bag juices leak out. Doesn't hurt anything, just means you get braised chicken and a dirty puddle machine.

Damnit. I wish this had been posted a few days ago, since I bought those Costco breasts over the weekend. Sure enough, I had small holes in the seals of both of them when they came out of the puddle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

nwiniwn posted:

So boneless skinless chicken breasts-what’s a good way to actually finish them?

I have two in the refrigerator that I cooked for 1.5 hours at 150F and am having them for dinner tomorrow. I took on breast and butterflied it so it’s pretty flat. Just trying to get an idea of the best way to finish it to make it taste better than the bland experience I’m used to with it-I normally get a lovely texture on the surface from a quick on sear in a little vegetable oil, but I’m not sure what other option there is.

Lightly bread and pan-fry. Direct sear on skinless breast is a recipe for disaster.

If it's a component in chicken salad or w/e, no finishing necessary. Selling skinless breasts should be a drat crime.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Lightly bread and pan-fry. Direct sear on skinless breast is a recipe for disaster.

If it's a component in chicken salad or w/e, no finishing necessary. Selling skinless breasts should be a drat crime.

Ok, this I might be willing to try...

Do I treat them like uncooked breasts? IE, flour, egg wash, bread crumb?

I'm thinking I will warm them up to ~130 first, then try the panfry suggestion.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Puddle, then chill, then bread and fry while cold (obvs not frozen though).

If you sear while warm you'll overcook more. Chicken thinner than 1.5" should be warm throughout after searing. Thicker than that, maybe bring it up to room temp but definitely not 130.

Whatever breading you want as long as it's not only a thin flour layer, you'll be fine. It's just there because A) you want something to brown, and if it's bare chicken meat it'll get stringy, and B) to insulate the meat from the pan, which is why only flour or corn starch wouldn't quite do it with already-cooked chicken.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I disagree. If you do a shallow fry at reasonably high heat you can nicely brown skinless chicken breasts without the meat getting stringy. It forms a minor crust. That's my go-to method.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Glottis posted:

I disagree. If you do a shallow fry at reasonably high heat you can nicely brown skinless chicken breasts without the meat getting stringy. It forms a minor crust. That's my go-to method.

That's generally what I do, though I'll try and finish in a 350ish oven after I get the crust formed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Glottis posted:

So no breading, a shallow layer of oil in the pan heated to 350, and brown on both sides with no breading?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

nwiniwn posted:

So no breading, a shallow layer of oil in the pan heated to 350, and brown on both sides with no breading?

BrianBoitano posted:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The real answer is leave the skinless breast in the puddle for an extra hour, then pull it and add sauce and seasonings for tacos or pulled bbq chicken or whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sous vide hot water canning so easy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

How long is required? Doesn't the boiling water normally drive off steam, causing the vacuum seal?

Glottis posted:

To each their own! Most folks don't have a well enough seasoned pan to get away with it, in which case you either under-sear and it doesn't release from the pan, or you sear the appropriate amount for it to release and it's crusty.

If your cast iron game is on point you might do well.

nwiniwn posted:

Hotter oil if you can, friend.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good resource for that? I'd love to be able to can in batches greater than three

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

How long is required? Doesn't the boiling water normally drive off steam, causing the vacuum seal?
water will start evaporating at >0*C, it just takes longer with less energy being input. also the air inside the jar is what creates the seal when it expands and leaves the jar due to the internal pressure. the vacuum is a result of the air left inside cooling and contracting, causing external air pressure to seal the jar.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Puddle, then chill, then bread and fry while cold (obvs not frozen though).

If you sear while warm you'll overcook more. Chicken thinner than 1.5" should be warm throughout after searing. Thicker than that, maybe bring it up to room temp but definitely not 130.

Whatever breading you want as long as it's not only a thin flour layer, you'll be fine. It's just there because A) you want something to brown, and if it's bare chicken meat it'll get stringy, and B) to insulate the meat from the pan, which is why only flour or corn starch wouldn't quite do it with already-cooked chicken.

Tried this tonight and it turned out great! did flour, egg wash, and seasoned bread crumbs using grapeola oil to about 400 for ~2 minutes a side.

Only change I would make is warming it up just a bit longer prior to frying-it only sat out for about 30 minutes and it was barely warm at the thickest piece. Still great though-thanks!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

nwiniwn posted:

Yep. Ideally the oil comes up about halfway on your chicken breasts. You could go a bit higher than 350 if you wanted, but try not to make the oil smoke or anything.

BrianBoitano posted:

To each their own! Most folks don't have a well enough seasoned pan to get away with it, in which case you either under-sear and it doesn't release from the pan, or you sear the appropriate amount for it to release and it's crusty.

If your cast iron game is on point you might do well.

When I say "shallow fry" I mean a significant amount of oil but not enough to submerge the thing. If you have oil that comes up ~halfway on the chicken breast and you bring it to temperature before adding the meat, the seasoning of your pan is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fair. I'm hella frugal when it comes to my frying oil so I tend to go very shallow.