Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Milky Moor posted:

Literally every game I have played recently I've got to watch someone stand like five hundred meters away and take out my whole squad with mini Uzi (or some other weapon that obviously doesn't work at that range) with repeated, consistent headshots.

Good anti-cheat.

We had five hackers in a row two days ago, since then we've pretty much stopped playing. It's bizarre to me that hacking isn't brought up more because it's easily the biggest threat to the game's lifespan right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it's brought up constantly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It seems as if hacking has become an issue again once more but I’ll admit it’s gotten better. Granted there’s still a lot of work to be done.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It sucks because you always wonder, like, is that guy who just rapid-fired an SKS at me and hit every shot hacking or is he just really good? The killcam only kinda helps

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Tweak posted:

it's brought up constantly?

Obviously not enough as there's been nothing from the devs recently and it really can't be stressed how incredibly rampant it is right now, at least on OC (but I've heard its as bad on NA). I can say with confidence that at least one person is hacking per game on OC right now.

Pattonesque posted:

It sucks because you always wonder, like, is that guy who just rapid-fired an SKS at me and hit every shot hacking or is he just really good? The killcam only kinda helps

There seems to be 4 distinct flavors of hackers out there right now, based on my saved replays:

- Wallers. These are the dudes who just know where you are, it's the hardest to pick and it's always up for debate. Not too annoying because even if they are using walls, it's still possible to kill them by having teammates flank or just straight up out-shooting them. The giveaway that someone is walling is bullets following you through cover, that is, they continue to shoot at you even though there's a wall in the way. Even so it's really hard to tell if they are walling or are just pre-firing so I reserve judgement on how many their are per game and I'd never say I lost a game because of someone walling.

- Aimbots. These are super easy to pick and also the most common variant out there, on OC you will literally see one per game. You'll see a lot of consecutive headshot kills in the killfeed, and when you go down you'll always hear a short burst of fire that groups perfectly in the one spot. If you are lucky enough to dodge it somehow, and are in front of a wall, you'll see all the bullet holes grouped perfectly in a tiny circle despite the enemy usually being hundreds of meters away. These guys are more annoying but still beatable in duos/squads, you can outplay them as they are usually garbage and don't use cover or worry about noise, making them easy to sneak up on or kobe

- Wallers with aimbots. gently caress these guys. Super easy to pick but impossible to deal with, these guys know exactly where you are and basically set themselves up so the millisecond you pop your head out it's blown off. These are less common than just straight aimbots but I'd say you get one of these shitstains about one every 3-4 games.

- Speed hackers/The Toggle Boys. Rare but hilarious, sometimes grouped with aims/walls, you'll see these dudes speeding around the map at light speed, then inexplicably returning to normal, presumably after they've finished looting/are ready to fight.

Tab8715 posted:

It seems as if hacking has become an issue again once more but I’ll admit it’s gotten better. Granted there’s still a lot of work to be done.

I'm at 730 hours and I can say without a shadow of a doubt hacking is at it's absolute worst it's ever been.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are you playing test? It seems like most people are, and most hacks probably haven’t been updated yet, so most hackers are probably still playing live. If there’s less people playing live but roughly the same amount of hackers, you’ll run into them a lot more.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

abigserve posted:

Obviously not enough as there's been nothing from the devs recently and it really can't be stressed how incredibly rampant it is right now, at least on OC (but I've heard its as bad on NA). I can say with confidence that at least one person is hacking per game on OC right now.

It's constantly brought up here, reddit, and their forums. So yea it's brought up a lot but it doesn't mean the devs are capable of solving the issue, their tweets suggesting loads of bans not-with-standing.

And not that it matters (to them or you specifically being on OC), but NA FPP still almost entirely hacker free

Tweak fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 13, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I heard you could edit the ini file to enable, from 3rd person, holding the right mouse button for iron sighting, and pressing the right mouse button to do that small zoom in. This is opposite of normal mouse behavior in the game.

This change seems way better than default but I’ve heard a lot about people getting banned for doing anything to the ini file.

What say you, goons?

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Won for the first time on my 4th solo game on xbox. Day 1 chicken y'all.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jedrick posted:

Won for the first time on my 4th solo game on xbox. Day 1 chicken y'all.

Not quite as rare as being struck by lightning but very impressive all the same. Congratulations

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

GreatGreen posted:

I heard you could edit the ini file to enable, from 3rd person, holding the right mouse button for iron sighting, and pressing the right mouse button to do that small zoom in. This is opposite of normal mouse behavior in the game.

This change seems way better than default but I’ve heard a lot about people getting banned for doing anything to the ini file.

What say you, goons?

It's fine to enable that in the ini, but it doesn't work well. There's a delay that's not normally present.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Was in a squad match with a few goons on Test server earlier tonight - suffered the ignominy of somehow getting trapped on a bale of hay while attempting to climb it, then the swimming motion, then knocked, then killed due to "falling."

:negative:

At least the rubber-banding is slightly better early on in the match.

Also, if someone can fulfill the needful and make a SA smilie with Player Unknown like this one, :xcom: I'll pay for it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

abigserve posted:

Oh, I'd say once or twice per page is enough. I mean, talking about it on this forum is not gonna help fix it, so even once every other page might be enough! Who knows?

(Unless I'm wrong and we have PUBG devs reading this thread, but I'd imagine they get plenty of feedback without going looking for it here.)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I suck rear end at this game but I never saw any obvious hackers on EU. Never saw any speed hack and I have only one encounter that smelled fishy.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Le0 posted:

I suck rear end at this game but I never saw any obvious hackers on EU. Never saw any speed hack and I have only one encounter that smelled fishy.

In about 600 hrs I have only encountered 2 definite cheaters and the last one was a while ago, EU squads and duos. It's very hard to say for certain without being able to spectate people though and I have seen some fishy stuff but not enough to convict. Kill cam will for sure help but needs to be less janky.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 13, 2017

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pattonesque posted:

does the killcam make it look like there's zero recoil from the guy who killed you? I just got murked by a dude whose reticle was completely still while he was rapid-clicking and moving

As others mentioned, it's very janky. It's like the kill cam is operating at a tick rate of 5 or something. I often see my killer firing way behind where I am, or similarly "should miss". Wouldn't trust it to show recoil effects accurately.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’d like them to add an aiming penalty to the transition period in leaning. It’s very frustrating fighting people who clearly have some sort of bind set up so that their head is bobbing back and forth at no consequence to them.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Oh, I'd say once or twice per page is enough. I mean, talking about it on this forum is not gonna help fix it, so even once every other page might be enough! Who knows?

(Unless I'm wrong and we have PUBG devs reading this thread, but I'd imagine they get plenty of feedback without going looking for it here.)

I been tweeting at 'em as well. I actually can't believe no one else is kickin up poo poo about this, there aint a post on reddit about it even, I played four more squad games tonight and, welp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsu6Ev0B3g

it's actually unplayable right now. Maybe it's just the mode, or our rank, or something?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
One of my first games on test had a guy slowly head punching everyone to death in the kill feed, at first I thought afks but then I heard one or two gunfights being silenced by the invisible teleporting punch phantom. I got shot before he got to me but the guy who got me keeled over a second later.

I presume using the same exploit from early betas, so maybe they have not merged all their basic hack fixes from the live build yet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

abigserve posted:

I been tweeting at 'em as well. I actually can't believe no one else is kickin up poo poo about this, there aint a post on reddit about it even, I played four more squad games tonight and, welp:

it's actually unplayable right now. Maybe it's just the mode, or our rank, or something?

I think a bunch of the Chinese hackers are playing on OC rather than NA, its mostly us Aussies complaining.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

abigserve posted:

I guess keep tweeting then?

Btw are you absolutely sure that pubg does rank based matchmaking? I haven't seen any conclusive evidence for that. Shouldn't there be an announcement?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess keep tweeting then?

Btw are you absolutely sure that pubg does rank based matchmaking? I haven't seen any conclusive evidence for that. Shouldn't there be an announcement?

I’m pretty sure there is, but the reason it’s so wonky is the matchmaker values speed over accuracy. I don’t know the actual amount of time a queue will wait before it starts throwing everyone together, but it’s certainly not long. Every other mmr game does this but they usually let queues sit minutes before doing it. No clue what rankings they use either.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

abigserve posted:

Play first person instead, there's fewer cheaters. Or go on test, where there seems to be fewer cheaters too.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Well I feel like an idiot, I've been playing a few weeks now and thinking "I don't think I've ran into any of the ridiculous hacks I've seen people complain about, but gently caress me I feel like there's a lot of wallhacking, the cunts just seem to home right on in on me!"

Then I'm in a lobby, bored, doing some sort of dance involving mashing the peaking buttons and someone goes "We get it oval office! You've got mechanical keys congratulations!" I pause, think "no way..." then mash the gently caress out of one of the keys and hear "Jesus christ mate chill the gently caress out"....... So I checked mic setting and, yep, was set to "always on". I've got no idea how long it's been that way, and I was sure one of the first things I did after installing the game was putting it on PTT (but then again this game is a bit weird about making you click apply before leaving the settings menu so who knows). Dunno how I won that chicken dinner a week ago if I was emitting sounds like that though (it's one of the first steelseries mechanicals and has cherry key switches mounted to a steel plate, it;s no model-M but it's not quiet).

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

abigserve posted:

I can say with confidence that at least one person is hacking per game on OC right now.

It must be me then, since based on my equally anecdotal evidence, I've won a stack of matches on OC. Solos, duos and squads. Hell, even a two-man squad match or two.

There definitely are some hackers, but calm down.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I encountered my first real hacker yesterday. Dropped quarry and picked up a vector then spotted a dude about 75 yards away. Got a few bursts off before he spotted me then he whipped around and fired 5 shots rapid fire from a mini 14 straight into my head. There wasn’t even a question about whether he was hacking. The fire rate and speed at which he drew a bead on me was ridiculous. In the past I’ve questioned deaths because they seemed a bit fishy but this was just straight ridiculous.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't played this for ages (might come and give it another try when the desert map comes to live servers) but I just watched the Digital Foundry impressions of the Xbox versions and :lol: it runs exactly as badly as I presumed it would. Good god it's horrible, I'm surprised they even released it. How are they ever gonna get it going at a locked 30 on the base Xbone? I reckon it's just impossible with that lovely CPU.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The whole random map is not working out in test, and I don't think it'll get better on live.

We played eight games last night, and every one was on the old map because they're were so many open lobbies from people leaving games. In addition, only 50 people were left by the time the first circle appeared. Unless you want to lobby hop for the new map you won't get to play a real game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea they are either going to need to lock the map in for certain periods of time or add some sort of punishment for leaving the lobby.

Or let you choose which map, but that may lead to the old map just having an extremely small player base.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

add some sort of punishment for leaving the lobby.

They can't do that as long as the client is crashing 10% of the time. =)
(Seriously, I've had crashes from running out of texture memory (how is that allowed to happen, just stop loading the textures), random crashes when entering warmup, when landing the chute(!)...

But once they fixed that, something like CS:GO's 30 minute ban would be cool.
On the plus side, playing with fewer players will let you run around and loot for longer before taking the old shotgun blast to the face in a bathroom. Oh wait, that's not on the plus side at all.

My preferred fix would still be if the player could select which map(s) they will accept, though. Again a page out of CSGO's book. Sure, for a few weeks you'd have to wait a minute for a match on Erangel, but at least the match would be a full 100 players because each player has accepted both maps.

Fuzz1111 posted:

"We get it oval office! You've got mechanical keys congratulations!"

This is hilarious and I wish you best of luck in future key mashing.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 13, 2017

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there a change log of major changes to the original map? there’s a heavily wooded swamp directly north of mansion and it’s loving me up

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The Xbox version of the game looks awful, has a crusty frame rate, and crashes occasionally and yet I can't stop playing it and even won a duos match.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Apparently inventory management is a nightmare...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's better to give people extra bp for joining the less poplar map than punish them for dodging it

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Hackan Slash posted:

The whole random map is not working out in test, and I don't think it'll get better on live.

We played eight games last night, and every one was on the old map because they're were so many open lobbies from people leaving games. In addition, only 50 people were left by the time the first circle appeared. Unless you want to lobby hop for the new map you won't get to play a real game.

My record so far is match starting with 36 people. My squad just gets a bunch of vehicles and drive around doing stupid poo poo until we find people to fight.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

sticksy posted:

Some good stuff in there - I did like how in parts you talked about what you were doing and why.

IMHO I'd just say at minimum, edit more down and/or break it up into chunks with themes or areas to focus on.

23 min is waaay too long for most people's attention spans, mine included and it's a big ask for someone to watch through it unless there are specific things like tactical explanations like "how to use gun X in Y situation" or general highlights of awesome/funny stuff happening. Otherwise there's not a ton to differentiate or enough to really be compelling versus some of the other videos I'd watch, especially shorter ones.

Magres posted:

I really like how you talk about what you're doing and why. It's really frustrating to try and divine intent from silent videos where people just intuitively know what's going on around them all the time when I have no idea how or why they're making the decisions they make, and your discussion of decisions is great.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Was it the pseudo-commentating at the beginning you found helpful or just general comments throughout all the games? My original intent was to create somewhat compelling videos of whole matches because that's what I enjoy, but after reading your replies I realize that there isn't a whole lot out there on tactical play. You can find tutorials or tips on every aspect of the game, but learning to read the play and make the right moves is less accessible it seems. I think I might try some dedicated clips where I/we live comment on what we are doing and why.

I find watching people play video games is really not my thing and prefer more narrative to my entertainment, which is why I've modeled my clips similar to the way JackFrags does. His videos of full matches are something I enjoy because Battlegrounds is captivating, but also watching him/his team fight is interesting. They are almost like an episode of some tv show. Highlight reels are already done by a lot of other people and dearsomeone has clips sent in from all over, so they are always going to be way better than whatever mediocre stunt I pulled this week.

Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like me to cover in a commentated video and I'll try to play some matches to illustrate it.

In mean time - rockybar and I have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a win together and here are the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLT0OTGpEs

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Just saw a hacker in the test servers. Landed and then a guy with an AK gets 5+ headshot kills in a row, in the space of a few seconds.

Performance on test build is so much better. Rarely dips below 60 for me.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cindy Shitbird posted:

is there a change log of major changes to the original map? there’s a heavily wooded swamp directly north of mansion and it’s loving me up

I think that was added at the same time as vaulting.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/14/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-pond/

quote:

Bad news: The new pond is rubbish for swimming.

Good news: If you’re seeking somewhere for a nice walk, to sit and chat with a close friend, for a tense final battle, or to use as cover as you cross what was one a wide flat plain of certain death, it’s really quite nice. I hope more of Plunk Island is revisited and reworked like this.

North of Mansion, south-east of Yasnaya Polyana, and east of that hill you can ramp sikk tricks off, where once was an exposed plain there now lies a dense wood with a pond at its heart.

Slim Mat posted:

In mean time - rockybar and I have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a win together and here are the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLT0OTGpEs
Dude, your UMP-9 sounds like a Groza. How come?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
I am a lazy gently caress. Is there a XBox thread for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just bought this game a few days ago and there are things I really, really love and things I really, really don't. Stalking around the wilderness using what you find is amazing. Going from a dude in underwear to a fully decked-out Mad Max villain with a cool facemask and trench coat with an army backpack and guns hanging everywhere never gets old, but in this category of game popularity, have never seen anything come close to being as janky, Bethesda games included. Wow.

Also jesus christ the inventory management is complete horseshit. Why are items on the ground shown on the left side of the screen? Why aren't they closer to the center of the screen where your mouse rests? Why do you have to physically drag the goddamn things over to your inventory instead of just clicking on it? If I want to remove a gun attachment but keep it in my inventory, why do I have to drop it on the ground then pick it back up again? Why isn't ammo grouped with its corresponding gun in my inventory?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 13, 2017

• Locked thread