Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

teagone posted:

Ok, sure. :thumbsup:

He's right tho. OW is just a TF2 clone that tries too drat hard to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scyantific posted:

He's right tho. OW is just a TF2 clone that tries too drat hard to be cool.

ya same way halo is a doom clone

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

scary ghost dog posted:

ya same way halo is a doom clone

No, in the other way, the way in which Overwatch is a piece of poo poo

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
lol at all you scrubs doing anything other than playing de_dust for the kajillionth time.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
when are they making an unreal tournament movie

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FoneBone posted:

Back in 2013 Spielberg postponed it indefinitely a few months before the scheduled start of production due to needing "more time", and there's been no substantive news since then. Pretty sure it's dead.
I'm surprised he never got to do Pirate Latitudes considering his friendship with Crichton

God this doc is probably going to wreck me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuuDpwPYxo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Video game culture is bad

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Seems like they've beefed it up a bit with more??? monsters, although that may just be trailer editing. I'm still so in for this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also looks like it's definitely a combination of the novels which I think is a great idea for the movie. I'm reallllly so in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Also looks like it's definitely a combination of the novels which I think is a great idea for the movie. I'm reallllly so in.

Wait. Novels, plural? He wrote another novel in this train wreck universe?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

There’s 3 books, friend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s 3 books, friend.

This is truly the darkest timeline.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Proteus Jones posted:

The second one easily could have just been a chapter in the first book. He should have cut about 80% out of the middle and just made it an epilogue. The third one is interesting (so far).

They're fun though. Did you not like the first one?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

The second one easily could have just been a chapter in the first book. He should have cut about 80% out of the middle and just made it an epilogue. The third one is interesting (so far).

They're fun though. Did you not like the first one?

No, and I'm the target demographic for it since I was a child of that time. I felt nothing but second-hand embarrassment for it the whole way through.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Proteus Jones posted:

No, and I'm the target demographic for it since I was a child of that time. I felt nothing but second-hand embarrassment for it the whole way through.

Hahah dude we are talking about different movies.

We're talking about The Southern Reach Trilogy (Annhilation, Authority and Acceptance).

I think you're talking about Ready Player One.

And we're allllll on the same page about that garbage fire of a book.

edit: This trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I really liked the first book and couldn't finish the second one. This definitely looks like an adaptation of the book and not a straight re-telling. Im in

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bows1 posted:

I really liked the first book and couldn't finish the second one. This definitely looks like an adaptation of the book and not a straight re-telling. Im in

Dude it took me like 6 months to get through the second one. 80% of it is so loving unnecessary. You get to the last chapter and it's like "goddamn FINALLY things are moving." Third book is fun so far. I'd push through or read a cliff's notes if you can.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man im so pumped for annihilation i hope they descend the upside down light house thing because I didn't see much of that in the trailer

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

man im so pumped for annihilation i hope they descend the upside down light house thing because I didn't see much of that in the trailer

Dude there's a lot of it in the trailer! Just gotta know what you're looking at.

My biggest hope is they somehow integrate the long weird spiraling text into it. Those words, when you read them, almost trigger some sort of minor mental instability... they're very unsettling. But I have no idea how you'd effectively do that in a movie and still get the same effect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Hahah dude we are talking about different movies.

We're talking about The Southern Reach Trilogy (Annhilation, Authority and Acceptance).

I think you're talking about Ready Player One.

And we're allllll on the same page about that garbage fire of a book.

edit: This trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

Sorry, my gear was still stuck on Ready Player One. Had to make sure I registered my HOT TAKE before I could move on.

I have the Southern Reach books in my queue, but the trailers intrigue me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For some reason when you said that about spiraling text I got confused with House of Leaves.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

For some reason when you said that about spiraling text I got confused with House of Leaves.

this makes me wish that the books had taken some inspiration from house of leaves and formatted the text weird during some of the weirder poo poo in them

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
All art needs to get weirder. Embrace 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this makes me wish that the books had taken some inspiration from house of leaves and formatted the text weird during some of the weirder poo poo in them

The Stars My Destination, grandpappy of them all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress me, I ain't spoiling myself, NO WAY. AVERT GAZE.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I dislike the trailer and it gives away too much.

Arrival had the same issue. Teaser owned. Made it look like A+ sci-fi. The trailer looked built for teenagers who like explosions and yelling.

I'm going to assume the trailer's a similar fluke and will see it anyways.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The trailer made the movie look like a slasher instead of smart sci fi. I'm considerably less interested than I was after the teaser. I also never read the books.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shageletic posted:

The trailer made the movie look like a slasher instead of smart sci fi. I'm considerably less interested than I was after the teaser. I also never read the books.

Well to be honest, the book is kind of a mix of smart sci-fi and horror elements. Kind of Lovecraftian elements though... that are meant to be sort of brain-breaking to the characters. So that always gets watered down a little on screen but it still looks creepy as gently caress. I won't spoil anything but I def saw some things in there that got me excited. As well as some new things that were interesting.

They definitely changes some stuff though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That latest Bright trailer with the Orc talking about his native love songs is a straight Drax joke. Not saying he did it first, but yeah.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm excited for Woman Scientist Exploration League.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BonoMan posted:

Dude it took me like 6 months to get through the second one. 80% of it is so loving unnecessary. You get to the last chapter and it's like "goddamn FINALLY things are moving." Third book is fun so far. I'd push through or read a cliff's notes if you can.

Second book is kind of a slog for sure, but yeah it's all worth it for the scene of terroir guy chilling in his crawlspace hideout.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I think I mentioned this before, but if you take the trailer literally then chubby ol' Bennedict Wong is playing Control, which makes the second book hilarious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Disney just sealed the deal to buy 21st Century Fox, which basically sucks for you, me, and everyone we don't know.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I hope it's just trailer editing, but I'll be disappointed if they've made Natalie Portman's character a normal, reasonable human being who really loves her husband. One of the things I found really interesting in the books is the fact that the protagonist is weirdly, uncomfortably antisocial, her relationship with her husband is rocky at best and her motivations for going in are more complex than just wanting to save him. (Not really spoilers, but just in case.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Disney just sealed the deal to buy 21st Century Fox, which basically sucks for you, me, and everyone we don't know.

And me.

I mean, maybe. Probably.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

And me.

I mean, maybe. Probably.

RIP Fox Searchlight, once decent, always reliable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Searchlight is safe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, I mean their back catalogue is perfectly safe. But the implications for the type of projects that will be greenlit in upcoming years are...not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Why? The high-value properties Fox owns have been utterly wasted in their hands. For all their safeness, at least Disney/Marvel are committed to trying to make quality work out of their properties.

• Locked thread