Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ah ok. I'd forgotten that detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is there any particularly interesting new lore on the Rebs?

I kind of wish they figure out a way to add them to Warpath/Firefight.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is there any particularly interesting new lore on the Rebs?

I kind of wish they figure out a way to add them to Warpath/Firefight.

There's at best hints of it in the Sourcebook, but no dedicated section like for the fully represented factions. Their argument that they don't make sense in Warpath is stupid because mass infantry battles in a science fiction setting already don't make sense and they could certainly be included in Firefight given that it's just a bare handful of squads.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Their reasoning is perfectly valid, name one sci fi series where a loose and diverse group of rebels successfully fight off some large monolithic form of government? You can't, because it doesn't exist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So I've been out of the Mantic loop (and tabletop gaming loop in general) for a while, and I bought a copy of Deadzone 1st edition for $40 last night. If I decide to get into DZ 2nd ed. later on, I should be able to just use the same minis and terrain and stuff with the newer rules, correct? From what I've been reading it's supposed to be a complete revamp of the original game to the point of being a reboot, to make it much simpler to play, which is OK by me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So I've been out of the Mantic loop (and tabletop gaming loop in general) for a while, and I bought a copy of Deadzone 1st edition for $40 last night. If I decide to get into DZ 2nd ed. later on, I should be able to just use the same minis and terrain and stuff with the newer rules, correct? From what I've been reading it's supposed to be a complete revamp of the original game to the point of being a reboot, to make it much simpler to play, which is OK by me.

Yeah, your minis and terrain are fine and you can bin your rules and cards if you feel like it. You'll need command dice, tokens, and the new rules but those can be had cheaply.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, your minis and terrain are fine and you can bin your rules and cards if you feel like it. You'll need command dice, tokens, and the new rules but those can be had cheaply.

Good to hear, much appreciated. :tipshat:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I ordered the fantasy crazy box and some paints, but did anyone else get anything from the black friday sale? I didn't spring for the big big box, but if anyone got that I'm curious what all went in it, since it's the same price as the mega armies.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slight miscommunication on the Dreadball 2 rules info - Mantic are only going to retail with 6 teams of minis to minimise SKUs, but the rulebook will contain the lists for all 29 teams. So nobody is left out in the cold, but new players are limited to the 6 new teams, or finding the others on dusty shelves or ebay.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I feel like that's a mistake but there's no getting them out of the hole they dug.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think it is a move away from restic and unassembled minis. Unless I'm having a total brain fart the new teams are plastic and come pre-assembled so are boardgame market friendly.

Hopefully that means they will update and re-release the old teams later.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You are correct, they had a big backlash from boardgamers against the original multipart restic teams, and moved on to single piece or factory assembled and glued minis for the newer ones.

Painted my first bit of Battlezone assembly

A little rough, but it'll do. Need to get better masking tape. Gonna make a few more sub assemblies over summer, and probably stick to them being largely grey rattlecan primer plus highlights, because it's fast, and I don't want them to be too busy visually.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

You are correct, they had a big backlash from boardgamers against the original multipart restic teams, and moved on to single piece or factory assembled and glued minis for the newer ones.

Painted my first bit of Battlezone assembly

A little rough, but it'll do. Need to get better masking tape. Gonna make a few more sub assemblies over summer, and probably stick to them being largely grey rattlecan primer plus highlights, because it's fast, and I don't want them to be too busy visually.

I made the mistake of going for a clean white on my first cube of Deadzone terrain and yeah I'm not making that mistake again.

Yours looks quite nice though. My New Years project is going to involve heraldry on barding, so I'm going to need to learn proper taping techniques as well so I can make straight lines.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone get the crazy boxes this year and can tell what they got? I skipped them this time around, but I still hear their calling in my sleep.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Electric Hobo posted:

Did anyone get the crazy boxes this year and can tell what they got? I skipped them this time around, but I still hear their calling in my sleep.

I bit, but I haven't got it yet. Sounds like they're swamped for shipping.

edit: this prompted me to see if there was a way to check on the status and their website is down, whoops

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 12, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The entire south of England has also been shut down by an inch of snow, so postage is slow going for everyone

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Electric Hobo posted:

I got the fantasy box, and it's shipped but I have no idea when it will arrive (because Mantic is continuing to not invest in tracking numbers). I'll post an update in the next four months whenever it shows up.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

I got the fantasy box, and it's shipped but I have no idea when it will arrive (because Mantic is continuing to not invest in tracking numbers). I'll post an update in the next four months whenever it shows up.
Great! Then I won't be tempted to buy one of them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

so last year while putting together dead zone scenery (which I still haven't finished) I set an alert for one of the smaller 'ruined' sets at a local large retailer.

Alert just popped 18 months later so I clicked through and realized they got a bunch of Mantic's scenery in and realized it's because they got their Star Saga scenery in.

Now I'm fine with being a little behind retail on the main box, given it is just the retail box and retailers aren't going to ship bare minimum priced shipping, but I have to wait til "wave 2" to get my extra scenery. Bitch bitch. Be nice to at least have a tracking number.

Anyway NTRabbit your battlezone looks great, what's the technique? Looks clean and simple.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thanks! Trimmed, glued, and assembled, then sprayed with cheap rattlecan grey primer. Not sure if it was because it was a new can, or I didn't wash the plastic, or even the weather on the day, but the primer came up a little patchy and cracked in some places, so I played that up by roughly dry brushing with VMC Sea Grey to give a used and weather beaten look, and that was pretty much it. The black and yellow was done the standard way, the removable grill is a metallic washed with nuln oil. I figure I can use that same basic grey job to do a lot of it very quickly, and then just take time on minor details to suit the structure, like the exposed rebar on the ruins, window frames, control panels, guard rails, mesh parts, etc

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 14, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Fantasy Crazy Box came in. Naturally there was no tracking number because reasons.

The haul:
  • 1x skeleton sprue
  • 1x zombie sprue
  • 1x ghoul sprue
  • Balefire catapult
  • Skeleton with undead rat/dog
  • Lady Ilona
  • 1x goblin with bows sprue
  • Bag of Dungeon Saga Abyssals
  • 3x Obsidian Golems
  • Tape measurer

I've never had a crazy box weighed so heavily towards one faction. Since I play undead in KoW this is a pretty alright haul, but I'm used to way more variety when it comes to the crazy box.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Star Saga arrived this week, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and go through it yet. Looks nice though on a glance, a lot more professional presentation than something like DZ1.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mine arrived this week too, I've gone through it enough to ensure I've had no mispacks, and a bit of a look at the sculpts, but not opened the books yet.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
One thing to not be thrown off by: one of the scenarios tells you to use 'the twelve marked nexus cards' - there are eleven. I confirmed with customer support that it's rulebook errata, not a missing card.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

moths posted:

Star Saga arrived this week, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and go through it yet. Looks nice though on a glance, a lot more professional presentation than something like DZ1.

Still waiting on mine...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just got my star saga, is there a list of what's supposed to be in it?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

drgnvale posted:

Slimnoid posted:

Fantasy Crazy Box came in. Naturally there was no tracking number because reasons.

The haul:
  • 1x skeleton sprue
  • 1x zombie sprue
  • 1x ghoul sprue
  • Balefire catapult
  • Skeleton with undead rat/dog
  • Lady Ilona
  • 1x goblin with bows sprue
  • Bag of Dungeon Saga Abyssals
  • 3x Obsidian Golems
  • Tape measurer

I've never had a crazy box weighed so heavily towards one faction. Since I play undead in KoW this is a pretty alright haul, but I'm used to way more variety when it comes to the crazy box.

Mine arrived this morning. Got:
Tape measure
Historicals book
Werewolves troop
Ghoul sprue (two ghouls)
Zombie sprue (3.5 zombies)
Goblin bow sprue (5 goblins)
Elf sprue (10 elves!!)
Bolt thrower sprue (no elves to man it)
Undead standard dude on horse
Two blue fish men from dungeon saga
Green goblins, orcs and troll with two weapons from dungeon saga

So not quite as great as last years box, but I needed more werewolves and I didn’t have the historical book already. I dunno if I’ll use the elf stuff, but they aren’t as bad in person as the studio paint job makes them out to be. They just don’t match my gw elves in any way. Dungeon saga stuff is nice as special characters, so they will get used for sure.
The tape measure seems nice too.

I feel pretty great about it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
You could always use the elves as zombies or skeletons. Fill up the ranks of the undead with races other than human!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And technically war machines don't need crews in Kings of War.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just got my star saga, is there a list of what's supposed to be in it?

Everything in the 'Core Pledge' image on the project page except: the character creator expansion, the mission creator expansion, the 18 Nameless minions, and the 3 hard plastic sprues (Pathfinder/3rd Gen/Zombies) at the bottom. There's also an additional Kori mercenary not pictured, but there's no card for him yet because he was an accidental inclusion.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

NTRabbit posted:

There's also an additional Kori mercenary not pictured, but there's no card for him yet because he was an accidental inclusion.

Accidental? Do tell.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ugleb posted:

Accidental? Do tell.

"Originally the Koris mercenary, Inkurphos, was due to be included in the Expansions Mega Bundle, however due to a slight mix-up at the factory, they've included it in all the Kickstarter Editions. Again, this was something that came to light when we received the Kickstarter Editions.

The character card for Inkurphos will come as part of Wave Two - as that is when we were originally planning to ship him - but we'll try and get a PDF to backers before then so you can start using him in your games... we'll keep you updated."

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I bet someone at Mantic is slightly peeved with the factory for loosing them a bunch of sales there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well, I don't think it will really cost them any sales, because it was a KS exclusive, so in the future only available for Mantic points or at conventions, but it will probably earn some ire from people who pledged for the expansion mega bundle, because their special mini went to everyone.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Dreadball 2 has arrived in Mantics warehouse on schedule and they start shipping tomorrow. Who will have theirs by the New Year?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Mantic usually good about meeting their estimated ship dates? Should I be worried that they won't be able to get the KoW Vanguard stuff out before Brexit happens?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Mantic Games: Should I be worried that they won't be able to get stuff out before Brexit happens?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I think Star Saga slid about 3 months with initial estimate in September. Warpath is still mostly waiting on some plastic vehicles but that was in part due to having change manufacturers (and in general I think the Chinese plastic production has been knocking about game vendors for the past few years).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The Chinese factory/mold making issue put Dreadball back as well, it was meant to ship back around June. The good news was they used the delay to keep working on rules so I'm fine with that.

Mantic had a very sketchy rep a couple of years back for delivery but they seem to be improving on the shipping side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Crazy box contents:
1 sprue lower abyssals
1 sprue elven bolt thrower
1 sprue armored skeletons
1 sprue goblin archers
2 blue plastic dungeon saga heroes? Woman with a flail and woman with a trident.
bag dungeon saga orcs. (I really like the sculpt for the orcs they did for dungeon saga so I'm super happy about this)
undead standard bearer
mantic branded tape measure
KoW gamer's edition rulebook