Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Bribase posted:

WHO GIVES A poo poo if he never actually CALLS it?

I've talked to CIG employees before so I technically have "inside info" but no one should care because I've never shared it.

Your people skills are amazing for a lunatic. This must be your winning strategy on how you win friends and influence people.

E: Taxman

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm getting the impression this two weeks thing is somewhat of an inside joke.

Tell me it isn't so.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Dooguk posted:

A fortnight

Reminds me that the top brass at CIG were probably furious that they couldn't make a pubg clone on one of their planets as you couldn't get more than 4 people running at the same time before the whole thing poo poo the bed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:smuggo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

First I've heard of that law. Interesting.
You could check the daily totals on that funding spreadsheet someone has been maintaining, not sure the hourly data is available or not.

Strip the first digit from each entry, count the frequency. 1 should be the most frequent, 9 the least.

It's a math anomaly that's been around since the 1920s, but we've just started generating number sets that are large enough to numberwang.

Anyone got the funding in csv?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm getting the impression this two weeks thing is somewhat of an inside joke.

Tell me it isn't so.

You will find out in 2 weeks.
https://i.imgur.com/49X3YVo.gifv

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Croberts really had made a deal with Disney about having a trailer before Star Wars and this new thing Derek is talking about is Disney going after them for not delivering.
Unlikely, but it would be amusing.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

You know you're on cruise control when you can tell your honey that you're one of the best posters in the Star Citizen thread.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Variable 5 posted:

You can’t really claim credit for calling something if you never actually specify what it is you’re calling.

Although Derek certainly tries, bless his heart

He claimed credit for the spinlock discovery even though that came from the same place his new information about the lawsuits is coming from. The people that feed him are too dumb to see that apparently.

At least he stopped demanding that anyone leaking information contact him in PMs so they could be secreted away so that he can claim their knowledge for his own and instead just turned into a baby telling them to go gently caress themselves because they were scooping him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

You know you're on cruise control when you can tell your honey that you're one of the best posters in the Star Citizen thread.

I tell my bunnygirl blow up doll the same.

Her response? Paaaaarp

I really need to get some tape...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

He claimed credit for the spinlock discovery even though that came from the same place his new information about the lawsuits is coming from. The people that feed him are too dumb to see that apparently.

At least he stopped demanding that anyone leaking information contact him in PMs so they could be secreted away so that he can claim their knowledge for his own and instead just turned into a baby telling them to go gently caress themselves because they were scooping him.

drat bruh.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Like what do you think is going to happen? You're kind of implying that this is a class action suit, which can be filed by anyone who wants to check the appropriate box in a complaint sheet. It can't be a concluded class-action against CIG unless the class was some really tiny group, because if it had been in progress we'd have been hearing about it for months. A brand-new class-action might be bad news for them, or it might be nothing, it would depend entirely on the injuries claimed and what state they were filing it in.

All you're doing by spinning this is further eroding your credibility when it turns out to be nothing, or leaving everyone underwhelmed when it turns out to be something but not much.

:allears:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

I wonder if Croberts really had made a deal with Disney about having a trailer before Star Wars and this new thing Derek is talking about is Disney going after them for not delivering.
Unlikely, but it would be amusing.

Disney isn't going after CIG. Disney was paid in full, far in advance, for those ad slots. They don't give a poo poo what goes into them - they just sell the same slot twice, or fill a previously sold slot with their own stuff.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Derek as Palpatine

"Something, something, fourteen days"

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Codezombie posted:

First I've heard of that law. Interesting.
You could check the daily totals on that funding spreadsheet someone has been maintaining, not sure the hourly data is available or not.

I'm too lazy, and somebody else probably has more convenience to doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law#Accounting_fraud_detection

quote:

Accounting fraud detection

In 1972, Hal Varian suggested that the law could be used to detect possible fraud in lists of socio-economic data submitted in support of public planning decisions. Based on the plausible assumption that people who make up figures tend to distribute their digits fairly uniformly, a simple comparison of first-digit frequency distribution from the data with the expected distribution according to Benford's Law ought to show up any anomalous results. Following this idea, Mark Nigrini showed that Benford's Law could be used in forensic accounting and auditing as an indicator of accounting and expenses fraud. In practice, applications of Benford's Law for fraud detection routinely use more than the first digit.

Bribase
Dec 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DapperDon posted:

Well there are multiple reasons why. First off is because I am not one to break confidence with anyone that lends me their trust. This is Derek's scoop and when HE decides its the right time then HE can share it. I don't need to be right about anything and I don't need to be famous for loving over someone that gave me their trust. But dammit if he didn't call this one. And it is bad.

If you gave even a quarter of a gently caress about someone's confidence (with their livelihood no less) you'd have kept your mouth shut instead of you and Derek doing all these coy little hints.

Theres already enough out there that the people in the know trying to find the leak will know its been spilled. So cut the pretense and just say it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
dawn of a new day

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

any second now.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Hav posted:

Strip the first digit from each entry, count the frequency. 1 should be the most frequent, 9 the least.

It's a math anomaly that's been around since the 1920s, but we've just started generating number sets that are large enough to numberwang.

Anyone got the funding in csv?

I've done it for the daily totals.

1 Count 339
2 Count 237
3 Count 310
4 Count 251
5 Count 204
6 Count 194
7 Count 137
8 Count 98
9 Count 85
Grand Count 1855

Edit: Data is scraped from here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Disney isn't going after CIG. Disney was paid in full, far in advance, for those ad slots. They don't give a poo poo what goes into them - they just sell the same slot twice, or fill a previously sold slot with their own stuff.

Seems like the most likely situation, yeah. Not nearly as amusing, though

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/940988268572807168

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Brutal takedown.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATX1RxUX0y0

Bribase
Dec 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Its not my intention to harsh anyone's fun thread buzz but Derek and his little crony lording over the thread is just loving obnoxious after 2 years.

Plus theres an off chance they will actually contribute to the thread as a result.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Codezombie posted:

1 Count 339
2 Count 237
3 Count 310
4 Count 251
5 Count 204
6 Count 194
7 Count 137
8 Count 98
9 Count 85
Grand Count 1855

Edit: Data is scraped from here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Unless of course CIG knows about Benfords law, and made up their fake numbers accordingly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is good for star citizen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

Derek's news *is* big.

You can quote the poo poo out of this.

:smug:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Its often made me wonder if such a person is actually a beleaguered employee with deep line-of-sight into the project state and thus trapped in a psychic dilemma. They’d know their steady paycheck derives from the selling of outlandish expectations yet they themselves are chained to perpetual crunch in service of a delivering a mundane parody of such hopes. We know that dilemma is very real for we’ve seen it openly declared by employees elsewhere, so it would not surprise me at all if this atypical variant — the strident CIG loyalist who nevertheless likes to deflate hype bubbles as they swell — is actually an employee.

I kind of doubt that anyone still working there is posting rabidly pro-SC propaganda unless they're literally being paid to do so. I've been in some lovely employment situations both on the sysadmin side and later, as a developer. The thing about tech work is that you can always walk out the door right now and get more money somewhere else. There's just that much demand for anyone who can talk the talk. So why would you stick around and shitpost about how great SC is unless you're literally unemployable? On the other hand, I have no doubt that some of the people most vehemently against CIG are either ex-employees or are closely linked to them. Because that's exactly what I did when I got stuck- get out ASAP and then poo poo talk them in industry circles forever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

"Notoriously lovely company sues other notoriously lovely company"

Still, it's more than nothing. Good work, you called it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Codezombie posted:

1 Count 339
2 Count 237
3 Count 310
4 Count 251
5 Count 204
6 Count 194
7 Count 137
8 Count 98
9 Count 85
Grand Count 1855

Seems reasonable. I'm no accounting expert, but, point to CIG.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Bribase posted:

Its not my intention to harsh anyone's fun thread buzz but Derek and his little crony lording over the thread is just loving obnoxious after 2 years.

Plus theres an off chance they will actually contribute to the thread as a result.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

With all this trolling going on how can we be sure our Derek is the real Derek? What if we are being played big time.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Amazon is going to be thrilled at this news.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Someone pay money to the site and post the court docs

Bribase
Dec 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

you're welcome thread

Bribase
Dec 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sandweed posted:

With all this trolling going on how can we be sure our Derek is the real Derek? What if we are being played big time.

:grin:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm sure they haven't used CryEngine for ages, so don't know how they could be done for breach of copyri...oh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsGxm0FHlU&t=263s

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.
It's a shame the complaint doesn't attach the relevant licensing agreement. I really want to take a look at the "exclusivity" provision referenced in the complaint. It would be weird and incredible if CIG actually contracted with CryTek that StarCitizen must be made with CryEngine.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

https://redd.it/7jklre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reminds me of the suit Zenimax filed against John Carmack, saying he took ideas developed while working for them when he went over to Oculus. I think Oculus lost that to the tune of $500 millo, not that it stopped them.

I guess CIG's best hope is to get bought out by Facebook for 4 billion dollars?