Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Platystemon posted:

Insulated pipes.

Yeah they leak energy, and more than electrical lines, but turning heat to electricity to heat is less efficient than keeping it as heat the whole way by a factor of 3–10 to begin with, so they have a lot to lose before they’re worse.

There’s a good reason your car’s heater bleeds heat from the engine cooling system rather than running a space heater off the alternator.

Beijing already has steam heating pipes running through large portions of the city. If all they're doing is changing how they heat that water, they've already got the infrastructure.

Some buildings in Huzhou have steam heat. I know of at least 3 spots where that poo poo's been leaking continuously since I've been here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

SerCypher posted:

their craziness has led to multiple arrests in the US.

holy poo poo do tell

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

How does heating a city with a single central reactor work? Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to generate electricity and have space heaters in each house?

The efficiency comes from creating electricity using steam to spin turbines, which is reduced to 'very hot water' or 'regular, low pressure steam' (rather than high pressure superheated steam) afterwards, and rather than just pouring that poo poo back into a river or venting it straight to the sky, they're running it through insulated pipes to heat peoples' homes with it. Especially since space heaters suck and use way more electricity than they usefully put out in heat.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ladron posted:

holy poo poo do tell

Yes, please do!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes, please do!

back off woman I asked first

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ladron posted:

back off woman I asked first

LADIES FIRST

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Insulated pipes.

Yeah they leak energy, and more than electrical lines, but turning heat to electricity to heat is less efficient than keeping it as heat the whole way by a factor of 3–10 to begin with, so they have a lot to lose before they’re worse.

There’s a good reason your car’s heater bleeds heat from the engine cooling system rather than running a space heater off the alternator.

Pirate Radar posted:

The district heating infrastructure is already there, and this way, instead of turning radiation into heat into power into heat, they just heat the water (in a PWR design or something similar the water that’s heated doesn’t become radioactive) and put that into the pipes. You’re just taking an existing system and replacing the coal or natural gas furnace with a small nuclear reactor similar to what you’d see at research institutions, training centers, or colleges with particularly well-funded physics departments. Undergrads with a semester of training can run them.

*edited because I’m not 100% sure these would technically be called PWRs, I’m not an engineer

Yeah fair enough. I just kinda assumed heat would be faaaaar less efficient than heat - electrcitity - heat

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah fair enough. I just kinda assumed heat would be faaaaar less efficient than heat - electrcitity - heat

Space heaters are hilariously inefficient when it comes to power->heat

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

LADIES FIRST

pfff what country you think this is?

Pirate Radar posted:

Space heaters are hilariously inefficient when it comes to power->heat

super great at starting fires tho

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

hailthefish posted:

The efficiency comes from creating electricity using steam to spin turbines, which is reduced to 'very hot water' or 'regular, low pressure steam' (rather than high pressure superheated steam) afterwards, and rather than just pouring that poo poo back into a river or venting it straight to the sky, they're running it through insulated pipes to heat peoples' homes with it. Especially since space heaters suck and use way more electricity than they usefully put out in heat.

Space heaters are 100 percent efficient at turning electricity into heat. The problem is transmission losses for the electricity, and inefficiency in electricity generation mean that space heaters are less efficient than just burning the fuel where you want the heat.

Which is less efficient than using the waste heat from electricity generation to heat homes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol

This is some purestrain china.txt right here

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

Space heaters are 100 percent efficient at turning electricity into heat.

Don't the heating elements start glowing, meaning that at least a percentage of the power gets turned into light and not heat?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nothing is 100% efficient but he's right that they're good at turning electricity into heat. The problem is just that generating heat takes a lot of electricity.

Hell of a lot less than AC though, my electrical bills in winter are waaaaaaaay lower and I only have a space heater because China. But the AC makes the entire apartment comfortable while the space heater can barely make under my desk warm, so.

My college had the steam pipe thing, it worked well. Also they ran the pipes under the sidewalks so they kept them warm enough to not get iced over.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Using a pool type reactor is also problematic as they are not designed to generate lots of power and depending on the design bubbles can cause power spikes and then there is the additional questions to the loss of coolant running a non-contained reactor at such high power levels. Neutron activation is also a problem if they are running normal water past it. We have problems with normal cooling pools as is.

Pool types are not PWR (Pressurised water reactors) and I can't think of one that runs on a continuous basis.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah sorry I wasn’t precise enough saying they’re not efficient, what I should have said was that they require a large enough amount of energy to heat a given space that they’re very rarely the optimal choice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChickenHeart posted:

My fear is that there is a non-zero chance of fissionable material being "lost" and ending up in some unfortunate family's home because it's a magical chunk of metal that heats your home and cooking all by itself.

This has happened before. Some scavengers in some out of the way place in Brazil or whatever took some radioactive material that while picking scrap and parts from an abandoned hospital.

They thought it was so cool! It was always warm and was so neat. They turned part of it into a necklace for their daughter to wear. The daughter and several other* people died.

rip

*correction issued!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 13, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm pretty sure this TNG episode was based exactly off that incident, right down to the necklace for the daughter.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Chomp8645 posted:

This has happened before. Some scavengers in some out of the way place in Brazil or whatever took some radioactive material that while picking scrap and parts from an abandoned hospital.

They thought it was so cool! It was always warm and was so neat. They turned part of it into a necklace for their daughter to wear. The daughter and like 30 other people died.

rip

4 deaths, including the daughter who was playing with the powder because it had a pretty blue glow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

All because the security guard hosed off to go watch Herbie Goes Bananas.
http://atomictoasters.com/2012/07/the-darker-side-of-herbie/

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 13, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

GotLag posted:

4 deaths, including the daughter who was playing with the powder because it had a pretty blue glow.

Wasn't this also a straight up episode of Captain Planet?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

I'm pretty sure this TNG episode was based exactly off that incident, right down to the necklace for the daughter.

100% It's why they only sent Data. I can't remember how they fixed it, I vaguely remember him firing a phaser blowing up a an aqueduct?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

All because the security guard hosed off to go watch Herbie Goes Bananas.
http://atomictoasters.com/2012/07/the-darker-side-of-herbie/

Ya know somehow I feel like this isn't the only time something terrible happened because of someone loving off to see Herbie Goes Bananas.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Some Bangkok hospital had a similar case with dealing with radioactive waste. I think it was some old hospital site had sealed waste lying around and the scrapers ignored the radioactive symbol. Quite a few people died and the authorities were on high alert because they were worried about waste transmission.

Think the victims ended getting compensation even though they were breaking and entering some private area in the first place.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And it’s not just power plants with that make excess heat.

Metallurgy and many heavy industries create a lot of excessive heat. Might as well not waste the heat. Hence a lot of northern cities are starting trial runs but the biggest problem is with local governments starting the project on some small neighborhood and not expanding to scale

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oohhboy posted:

100% It's why they only sent Data. I can't remember how they fixed it, I vaguely remember him firing a phaser blowing up a an aqueduct?

Mmm that was different episode. He blows up an aqueduct with his handheld phaser to show some colonists that their poo poo sucks, the Sheliac have weapons that makes this looks like a child's toy, and if you stay you're just all gonna die without affecting anything.

He fixed the radioactivity thing by dumping some Rad-Away into the town well (while being impaled).

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
As a kid, I would always hear from my teachers/superiors that Asia is so much smarter and better than us dumbass American kids and they work so hard and blah blah blah. Kind of satisfy to discover that not only is it not true, but I've also realized that many Chinese buy into this bullshit themselves.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

ladron posted:

holy poo poo do tell

Oh, well her parents fight constantly.

Yell at each other, break things, etc.

They sort of hate each other (but sometimes they don't?) and they've lived in separate cities in china almost all of my wife's life. She has a phobia of glass furniture (tables, shelves, etc) because they've smashed so many in front of her.

Anyway, so the police get called all the time in china, but because it's china, nothing ever happened.

Well they were visiting in the US, doing a road trip. Her dad really likes road trips and lovely motels and the open road and all that Americana. They got in a fight in a parking lot over where to eat for lunch. They were shouting really loud and shoving each other and someone called the police.

The police with a translator asked "Hey... were you shoving each other?"

And my wife's mom went "YEAH I WAS. HE WAS BEING A DUMBASS" or something similar. So they arrested the mom, and the Dad called to gloat.

So we got a call at work from the dad going "Heh heh heh your mom is going to jail maybe she'll learn a lesson." This was while they were trying to get her into the squad car, and he kept taunting her while it happened.

Anyway it was a big huge mess and we had to take the day off work and fly (they were almost a day away by car) to bail her out/get a lawyer.

They ended up dropping the charges but it was a traumatic day.

We found out later that they'd been stopped by police twice before on their road trip in different towns for the same thing (fighting loudly in public).

The second time police were involved was at a walmart and I'll type that up later.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

caberham posted:

Actually never mind, my father in law is a bit of an OCD engineer and has a huge phobia of missing trains or flights. He likes to show up at the airport 5 hours ahead of time so he ends up leaving his house 8 hours beforehand.

My first taste of no why was something like this. I arrived in Beijing at midnight, assuming the trains ran 24/7 and I'd just hop on the next one to the Kung Fu school I was going to. They don't, and I'd already taken a scam taxi from the airport to the train station because I had no idea where or how far it was (pre-agreed on a price, then read the sticker on the inside rear passenger window stating normal rates/late night multiplier, and Googled the distances involved. Paid him 150% the correct amount but still much less than agreed and just got out of the taxi when he stopped, and ignored his yells of protest).

The station was closed and there were a few other people waiting around. I figured it was gonna open early morning, so I just hung out for five hours at rapidly plummeting temperatures wearing nothing but a T-shirt. My winter clothes were in the mail to be picked up by the school. One guy came over and started talking to me in passable English. Turns out he worked in Moscow most of the time for an engineering firm, and was super chatty about it all. I figured he just wanted to practice his English but I wasn't going anywhere, and with a rapidly dying phone battery I had no other entertainment. He kept saying that his friends were surprised I was able to be out at near zero wearing only a T-shirt and I said it was fine, that I was used to the cold and wasn't gonna die from it. He said I didn't need to learn Kung Fu because I was already tough. Then it hit -3 or so and I put another shirt on, which cracked everyone up.

Anyway I asked him why he and the others were there if they knew the station didn't open til 5.30am and could just Taxi to and from wherever they lived in Beijing. I don't remember his exact words but they were so non-committal/non-answer that they could have easily been 'no why'.

PS. School was a scam and I spent five days there before saying gently caress this and finding a way home. Apparently it was good once, but there's a YouTube video of the headmaster getting his teeth kicked in and then hauled away in a van by the local gang, and now it's run by the old 2IC and he's the scammer.

Spent a week and a half sightseeing Beijing, feeling ill whenever someone hawked up a litre of green snot onto the pavement, and watching cops trying to kick rats.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I want more details about the lovely kung fu school. The only kung fu school I've seen in China was on "Huang's World" Vice TV show, and it seemed to strictly cater to foreigners.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So if you’re a communist party member and you’re super into American poo poo and your wife is into decadent French poo poo, isn’t it just a matter of time until you get purged when the next person is consolidating power? It seems like you’d be kind of useful to blame poo poo on, especially if you’re in an opposing faction.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dr.Radical posted:

So if you’re a communist party member and you’re super into American poo poo and your wife is into decadent French poo poo, isn’t it just a matter of time until you get purged when the next person is consolidating power? It seems like you’d be kind of useful to blame poo poo on, especially if you’re in an opposing faction.

Do you think the communist party in China is like 1930's USSR or something where anyone gives a poo poo about ideology? There's no ideological purity tests, in China greed is good, capitalism is good, no one bats an eye at that. Just say good things about China and its leadership, Mao was 70% good, and Taiwan is China and you're totally up to political standards of the "communist" party of china.

That's the whole reason you go up the ranks in the party, to get more money to have more access to shopping vacations in Paris or road trips in the US.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So when you want to get rid of rivals and have the power to do so, you don’t use “corruption” as an excuse?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

So when you want to get rid of rivals and have the power to do so, you don’t use “corruption” as an excuse?

That's different from ideological corruption. The villa in France and $50,000 watch is fine, but owning it because you took money from the wrong people isn't.

China is so non-communist that calling themselves Communist is just marketing

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
lots of great china.jpgs on this instagram account

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Do you think the communist party in China is like 1930's USSR or something where anyone gives a poo poo about ideology? There's no ideological purity tests, in China greed is good, capitalism is good, no one bats an eye at that. Just say good things about China and its leadership, Mao was 70% good, and Taiwan is China and you're totally up to political standards of the "communist" party of china.

That's the whole reason you go up the ranks in the party, to get more money to have more access to shopping vacations in Paris or road trips in the US.

Yeah. The funny thing is, they're not like, super rich or corrupt (that I know of) they're just sort of weird.

The mom doesn't go to france or anything, she just has an apartment decorated like Versailles, and wears doofy clothing.

The dad has this ridiculous looking mazdaspeed 6 with racing stripes and blacked out lights, stickers and rims. It's pretty funny seeing it parked in front of the giant communist party building, next to all the stately looking sedans.

I got the dad cowboy boots for christmas last year and he thought they were really cool.

I do ask my wife about the corruption thing, but apparently he has a pointless job that just lets him collect a paycheck. I think the most corrupt thing they've done is that getting divorced and then remarried to buy more houses thing.

The aforementioned versailles apartment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"I've come into a reasonably comfortable or above average amount of income, make my apartment look like versailles!!!" is such a loving 2nd world thing to do. You see that a LOT in Russia/former soviet union too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

nickmeister posted:

As a kid, I would always hear from my teachers/superiors that Asia is so much smarter and better than us dumbass American kids and they work so hard and blah blah blah. Kind of satisfy to discover that not only is it not true, but I've also realized that many Chinese buy into this bullshit themselves.

there are asian kids who work harder
they live in palo alto and kill themselves a lot

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SerCypher posted:

I do ask my wife about the corruption thing, but apparently he has a pointless job that just lets him collect a paycheck. I think the most corrupt thing they've done is that getting divorced and then remarried to buy more houses thing.

if they are rich and you think "he has a pointless job that just lets him collect a paycheck" and then you think there is no corruption there outside of getting a divorce, I, uh, I don't know what to tell you

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Great Autismo! posted:

if they are rich and you think "he has a pointless job that just lets him collect a paycheck" and then you think there is no corruption there outside of getting a divorce, I, uh, I don't know what to tell you

Idk, I've been to his office. It's in this giant 30+ story building with a giant party symbol on the front.

It almost seemed abandoned. We were there on a weekday at like 11am, and almost every office I walked by was empty. Most of the people I did see were sleeping in their offices.

Her dad had a couch to sleep on. It seemed well used.

I could be wrong, but I feel like most of the people in that building probably just collect paychecks.

Edit: I wouldn't call them rich either. Maybe upper middle class? Both of them work pretty decent jobs and have their whole lives.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SerCypher posted:

I could be wrong, but I feel like most of the people in that building probably just collect paychecks.

that's actually most of the people in chinese offices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ekuNNN posted:

Don't the heating elements start glowing, meaning that at least a percentage of the power gets turned into light and not heat?

If your curtains are closed, you're still getting all but a negligible portion of that as heat.

• Locked thread