Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lmao Etherium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

My buddy and I at work had a couple beers at lunch and decided to split one Ethererum. Up 35% since then so fun times had by all.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Let me know when the Etherium ICO is so I can make bank on people looking for Ethereum

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Government intervention in crypto-markets coming in 3... 2...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

My buddy and I at work had a couple beers at lunch and decided to split one Ethererum. Up 35% since then so fun times had by all.
Lunch yesterday right?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

That’s not how you transact bitcoin, you’re supposed to do it in a parking lot with a 50% chance of complete loss, like any real financial instrument.

Is that a 50% chance of losing your bitcoins, or your life?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Butcher posted:

Is that a 50% chance of losing your bitcoins, or your life?
Yes

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Lunch yesterday right?

Yeah yesterday. Been quite a ride lol

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Nah, totally not a bubble waiting to burst disastrously...

People are mortgaging their houses to buy Bitcoin

... buuuuuuuuuuuut

Safe as houses

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

flowinprose posted:

Safe as houses

Use Bitcoin to buy house, also to buy Lamborghini

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's funny how Coinbase has manipulated the market by presenting altBitCoins, Etherium and LiteCoin, next to BitCoin thus driving up their values as speculators look at the $17k pricetag of BitCoin next to the (relatively) cheaper LiteCoin/Ethirium

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

nice new forum name :D

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

HMNY lmfao these guys. love the gap up to 12.00 on good news or w/e and then oooooh yeha sorry epic offering After Hours open at 6.50 :thumbsup: brutal

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=HMNY&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p41612018832

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Yeah and to trade between ETH/LTC then you either need to move it through cash or through BTC which I'm almost certain ends up propping up BTC by 1% or so. There was clearly a point yesterday where people wanted to move LTC to ETH and ended up knocking BTC against $18k until LTC,ETH/BTC started swapping directions and BTC tanked.

I wonder how much ConAgra made off of their slim-jim debacle.

Either way weed, transport and indicies are all going up up up. Gallup has a fun chart about it here: http://news.gallup.com/poll/223508/investor-optimism-riding-high.aspx

Wrote this too soon weeds are not up :mad:

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 13, 2017

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I like all the cool Japanese names for Candle formations

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Daniels posted:

HMNY lmfao these guys. love the gap up to 12.00 on good news or w/e and then oooooh yeha sorry epic offering After Hours open at 6.50 :thumbsup: brutal

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=HMNY&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p41612018832

If I had been paying attention yesterday afternoon I could've bailed around $9.

As it stands now, my position is basically a write-down so I guess I'll wait and sell on the next pop.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 13, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I suppose now is the time to buy HMNY :shrug:

e: I think we could make money by inversing Josh

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

I suppose now is the time to buy HMNY :shrug:

e: I think we could make money by inversing Josh
I was killing it through August with pretty standard investing, so I decided to make some riskier trades, particularly in GBTC and HMNY.

Those did not go well. Guess I should stick to investing.

...he said as he attempted to trade LTC and ETH

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Don't feel bad, my ACB on AMD is 12.85, and my position is quite large :suicide:

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

acutally you shoulda jujst held your GBTC position holy poo poo haha :shepicide: :shepspends:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Followed by ... https://twitter.com/CitronResearch/status/940960541417259009

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Like clockwork.

edit:
Doesn't look like it worked this time though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shorting GBTC is basically impossible so if you wanted to own Bitcoin, I guess you could sell your GBTC and buy the underlying to scalp the premium but you can't arbitrage it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
NTDOY was my best pick of 2017. Normally, I would feel a bit uneasy about an OTC video game stock being my winner, but next to this hyper speculative crypto stuff I feel positively conservative.

I made a quick buck on JD.com before chickening out. Now I see it's having a strong day. I am tempted to take a position in it again, for the long term.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any ideas on how to short the California real estate market?

I think the changes to the tax code combined with rising interest rates has the potential to cause a downturn in real estate prices in California.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

dougdrums posted:

I wonder how much ConAgra made off of their slim-jim debacle.

What was this about?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arkane posted:

I think the changes to the tax code combined with rising interest rates has the potential to cause a downturn in real estate prices in California.

Invest in soup kitchens.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Jack Daniels posted:

HMNY is that startup whose business model consists of buying movie tickets at cost and selling them to people as discount subscriptions, right? Not the kind of poop I'd touch, personally.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

GBTC has few shares available for borrow and an absurdly high lending rate. Even if the trade works, you'll lose a shitload of money to borrowing fees, potentially making the trade a net loser.

Arkane posted:

There are Case-Schiller housing index futures and futures options on CME for San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, but they're not very liquid. You could easily short REITs with a lot of local exposure if you find a few you like, but if you shorted them outright you'd be on the hook for paying out dividends while you hold the position.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/real-estate.html
http://www.homepricefutures.com/

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

What was this about?

I remember sometime back in 2011 or so they (or maybe someone else) were selling beef jerky for bitcoins. Looking for it now, I just find a bunch of small jerkers that no longer accept bitcoin. Even bitcoinjerky.com only takes cash.

GBTC seems to act like a future with a perpetual date, so if you wanted to speculate on bitcoin/USD dropping I think maybe selling GBTC and buying the fancy new XBT/H8 and waiting for it to meet the mark to sell back would be the smartest way to hedge it, if not still stupid.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 13, 2017

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

That wouldn't work. GBTC trades at a premium because it is easier and safer to trade than bitcoin itself, and the futures trade bitcoin spot.

The futures are also elevated due to that ease and safety premium (and because one of the only brokerages/FCMs that offers it won't allow shorting until next week), but the futures expiration price may or may not be fixed by the OCC to the underlying spot at expiration, making them a genuine arbitrage opportunity despite being cash settled.

quote:

OCC may fix the final settlement price using: (i) the reported price or value for the relevant underlying interest at the close of regular trading hours on the last preceding trading day for which such a price or value was reported; (ii) the reported price or value for the relevant underlying interest at the opening of regular trading hours on the next trading day for which such an opening price or value is reported; or (iii) a price or value for the relevant underlying interest at such other time, or representing a combination of average prices or values at such time or times, as OCC deems appropriate.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Robinhood has options trading now.

Also dear lord can we just stop talking about bitcoin yet

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Robinhood should create a subsidiary that writes those options, if it's not already receiving payment for order flow from someone else.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Syrinxx posted:

I was naively thinking that after Trumps election last year the Trump news cycle would end, but here we are

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Considering how much less liquidity there is in the options market, and Robinhood already has issues with processing trades in a timely manner...

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Triglav posted:

Robinhood should create a subsidiary that writes those options, if it's not already receiving payment for order flow from someone else.

Looks like they already got agreements in place.

https://d2ue93q3u507c2.cloudfront.net/assets/robinhood/legal/RHF%20PFO%20Disclosure.pdf

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Ok that makes sense. So if bitcoin exchanges tank, GBTC would still hold a premium on it. I was thinking GBTC's premium came from the ability to speculate further out, but the value would never come over the top of the price, I guess, which would be a possibility if such was the case.

I got approved for futures by my broker but I have no idea how to use them other than to guarantee some returns or for taxes. I'm never gonna throw that much down in the crypto market anyways.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

dougdrums posted:

Ok that makes sense. So if bitcoin exchanges tank, GBTC would still hold a premium on it. I was thinking GBTC's premium came from the ability to speculate further out, but the value would never come over the top of the price, I guess, which would be a possibility if such was the case.

I got approved for futures by my broker but I have no idea how to use them other than to guarantee some returns or for taxes. I'm never gonna throw that much down in the crypto market anyways.

Flush, you flush your money down into bitcoins

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

dougdrums posted:

Futures are great for tax efficiency and low commissions, just don't let the potential leverage get to your head. Just because you can buy $100,000 of the S&P 500 for $3,000 doesn't mean you should.

But that said, leverage alone isn't the whole calculation. $200,000 of 2y treasuries for $500 isn't too crazy since the volatility of the product is negligible, while $100,000 of 30y treasuries for $3,000 is reckless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

Most of my recent investments are up, however AMD is down so my portfolio is VERY RED.

It's never a bad time to buy WEED stocks friends

I forgot I was going to post this earlier in lieu of wooden nickel chat ... whoops