Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Okay how minimal could the damage be, like say they settled out of court. With this firm on the payroll and everything what kind of money would that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TheAgent posted:

holy gently caress at them not providing code fixes and improvements back to crytek as part of their agreement

this is absolutely huge

like you can't just loving do that

what was roberts loving thinking

this isn't some frivolous lawsuit, this is a massive breach of almost every part of the contract they signed with crytek lol

Yeah I know nothing about legal matters but seeing about 40 different clauses of the GLA being breached is a pretty clear indication to even a layman of the scope of this.

"They contractually agreed here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here to provide things they did not provide and are unquestionably in breach of contract"

I'm sure the legendary genius visionary Chris Roberts is going to reverse this 40 point takedown in court somehow. He is obviously doing everything completely flawlessly and the dream will be amazing.

:siren:Someone watch the grey market:siren:

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 13, 2017

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i get to write about this for work i'm so happy. any interesting tidbits from the complaint i should highlight lmao

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Christmas came early, and it came hard. Thanks Dr. Smart !

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm betting roberts bet everything on having amazons support, engineers and tech for more than the 6 weeks they were out there before they noped off the fuckin project

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

As I posted on Twitter, it's Zenimax v Oculus bad. A firm like Skadden would never get involved in small potatoes.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941000218262241280

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941003491497205761

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'm glad you finally delivered something, Derek, and it looks pretty hilarious. Maybe in two weeks you'll actually get to finish, too.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

nnnotime posted:

There is also a recent GBS thread on this topic already. I'm surprised nobody has updated it, yet, with the ELE news (slackers).

Goddamit, I just did so.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Are you making a blog about it?

I honestly don't know about zenimax v oculus, or what exactly is being talked about with this legal stuff.
Executive summary;

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset that was developed by Oculus VR.
The company was founded by Palmer Luckey, who had a keen interest in head-mounted displays
and had developed a prototype of the Oculus Rift by 2012. Concurrently, John Carmack,
at the time of id Software, a subsidiary under ZeniMax Media, also was interested in
head-mounted displays, saw Luckey's prototype for the Rift and modified it,
showcasing the updated prototype at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012 (E3)
that June using a modified version of id's Doom 3.

Following E3 2012, Oculus VR launched a Kickstarter to fund further development
of the Rift, ultimately raising more than $2.4 million through it, one of the
largest crowdfunding ventures at that time. The attention lead to additional
venture funding, with more than $91 million invested by 2013. During this,
Carmack left id Software to become the Chief Technology Officer for Oculus VR.
In March 2014, Mark Zuckerberg announced that Facebook had acquired Oculus VR
for $2 billion.

The jury trial completed on February 2, 2017, with the jury finding that Luckey
had violated the NDA he had with ZeniMax, and awarding $500 million to ZeniMax.
However, the jury found that that Oculus, Facebook, Luckey, Iribe, and Carmack
did not misappropriate or steal trade secrets, though ZeniMax
continued to publicly assert otherwise. Oculus will have to pay $200
million for breaking the non-disclosure agreement, and additional $50 million
for copyright infringement; for false designation of origin charges, Oculus
and Luckey will have to pay $50 million each, while Iribe will be responsible
for $150 million.

^^ nicked from wikipedia

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crazypoops posted:

Okay how minimal could the damage be, like say they settled out of court. With this firm on the payroll and everything what kind of money would that be?
minimum settlement on this would probably be something like $30m, with absolute and total control of any and all original cryengine assets and code turned over and a complete production halt on star citizen / squadron 42

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

VictorianQueerLit posted:

quote:

The other odd bit is filling against Robert's space industries. It was cloud imperium games at the time of the contract, and rsi is a newer corporate entity.

It's Star Engine! And what even is a company? They are suing the wrong 1/17th of this shell company hydra anyway! Their founding lawyer used this defense brilliantly responding to the Attorney General by claiming they were speaking about the wrong company.

Literally trying the "wrong company" argument. Wow!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

CrazyLoon posted:

Goddamit, I just did so.
Yeah, I see spacetoaster just gave the ELE update. Very well, carry on...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Has anyone said...

Get a Refund

yet?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheAgent posted:

minimum settlement on this would probably be something like $30m, with absolute and total control of any and all original cryengine assets and code turned over and a complete production halt on star citizen / squadron 42

This is basically just Silicon Knights again, right?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...en-destiny-more

That went so well for them. CIG's in for a great couple of weeks.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

You have your wish. It's here. It's big. And it's 1 of 3 that I am aware of.
Derek quoted a post of mine from over a year ago. I can't wait to catch up with the thread.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

this isn't some frivolous lawsuit, this is a massive breach of almost every part of the contract they signed with crytek lol

I found the problem.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I just woke up

And made coffee

Lemme check SC thread

I'll just skip to last page

Holy poo poo tits. Now I'm not by any means an expert on legal matters in the software world, and please, any paralegals or lawyers step in and correct me here if I'm wrong, but upon skimming this and pondering over it for a bit, I'm beginning to think - yeah I'm just gonna come right out and say it, I think this means pole vaulting is confirmed for 2.2.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

holy gently caress at them not providing code fixes and improvements back to crytek as part of their agreement

this is absolutely huge

Basically, they were obligated to provide "StarEngine" back to CryTek.

:lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Depends on when the breaches occurred and the damages point they're looking for. Luckily there's a spreadsheet showing the amounts generated after the breaches. Particularly around sales.

High fidelity damages development.

$135,290,098 - 26th November 2016
$173,474,091 - Today

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 13, 2017

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

TheAgent posted:

So checkmate basically, they're hosed.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
so CIG tried to buy out as many Crytek employees as possible so that the company wouldnt work and go under but failed. Seems like a legit strategy.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TheAgent posted:

This kills the dream

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Crazypoops posted:

They dicked around with the T&Cs for their core tech, so yeah, sounds like it.

I picked a great time to start following SC drama. :allears:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how is this not on every fuckin gaming site right now

again, please come to the dead comedy forum for real news and updates about star citizen lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

That DICK! posted:

i get to write about this for work i'm so happy. any interesting tidbits from the complaint i should highlight lmao

I want to see articles really focusing on how CIG's marketing blitz breached contract by directly exposed confidential information in their videos. I would love it if those became a giant millstone around their neck because they've been one of the biggest points in the "Everything is working great, see how much they're accomplishing" argument.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
i need a cigarette

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

this is bad. like really bad

lol at CIG hoisting themselves from their own petard

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941008123216744449

----------------

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SCENE: Interior bedroom - daytime - drawers askew -

CHRIS and SANDI

SANDI: WHERE'S THE FUCKIN BUG OUT BAG CHRIS?!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nnnotime posted:

Yeah, I see spacetoaster just gave the ELE update. Very well, carry on...

We're going to need to update the OP for the Drama Thread too.

But I'll let this simmer for a week, or so, before I add that entry.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mne nravitsya posted:

Bravo Derek! You deserve a “called it” Scooby Snack.

It's been in the works for almost a year, but I couldn't talk about it, only kept hinting at it. And recently, I kept saying the big one was coming. This is it.

Then I was notified about the filing. So I posted this yesterday as a prelude.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=3046&perpage=40#post479285341

Then, yesterday I come to find out that this wasn't even the big one. There's more. It's worse. They're hosed. Completely.

----------------

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

lol if this ben parry jpg ends up as evidence in space court.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

In slightly lower-grade ELE news, the star citizen subreddit is now being monitored for vote manipulation from CIG employees

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Oh poo poo, there's two more of these?

Stick a fuckin' fork in 'em, they're done.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Seeking an injunction against using the engine.

:vince:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

this is absolutely huge

Chris Roberts is doing something that nobody has done before.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crazypoops posted:

Yeah, and if the whole Turbulent thing is still going (there was rumblings about Turbulent not getting a fair shake in 2016, with a renegotiation of their deal to have a "release" version of SC in 2017/2018 re: their owed royalties) that's another thing CIG is going to have to deal with.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Any claim that they're using Lumberyard instead of CryEngine isn't worth poo poo. Amazon isn't going to help them here.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TheAgent posted:

Yeah, and if the whole Turbulent thing is still going (there was rumblings about Turbulent not getting a fair shake in 2016, with a renegotiation of their deal to have a "release" version of SC in 2017/2018 re: their owed royalties) that's another thing CIG is going to have to deal with.

If there are other suits seeking money damages, it's gonna be a race to the courthouse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
This could be the moment for Roberts to show the world the programing bits what he did