Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Overwined posted:

I think Republicans now know that if they lose this vote on the tax bill that their party is in hibernation until the Democrats piss of the country in 10ish years and we get to start this stupid loving cycle all over again. Boom and Bust politics in the US is one of the most destructive forces to the people of the nation and it's really kinda sad. There seems to be no way off this rollercoaster.

The way off is for Democrats to lock in advantages. Admit PR as a state, reenact the VRA, enact antigerrymandering laws, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Trump just hit his lowest approval ever on 538's tracker, 36.4.

Which, of course, includes Rasmussen, so the real truth is probably lower

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The way off is for Democrats to lock in advantages. Admit PR as a state, reenact the VRA, enact antigerrymandering laws, etc.

Could they also make election day a national holiday? I think that would be a good idea. Require states to start mandatory vote by mail?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

There, they said it. Can we put a stop to futile rural white outreach now.

Seriously, just stop wasting money on old white people, the ones that aren't utter poo poo are going to vote for dems and the ones that are going to vote for republicans, nobody will ever be convinced. Focusing on turning out minority and young votes is the way forward and it's stunning that it's taken so long for the DNC to get that

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Going to be awkward when PR gets blown away entirely by a hurricane right after becoming a state. Turns into the proverbial desert island with one palm tree and 3 people, 2 of which are senators and the other a house rep.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Oh, right, the spineless narrative, gotta keep that afloat. Well done, turds :thumbsup:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

Oh- I thought I saw him at 36.2 once.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

theflyingorc posted:

538 adjusts polls to supposedly even out biases so that Rasmussen poll goes from 41% approve to 36%

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Delthalaz posted:

Oh- I thought I saw him at 36.2 once.

Maybe he was one day before another pollster came in?

It's the lowest average I can find on the chart, at least. He's doing real bad

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ganson posted:

Going to be awkward when PR gets blown away entirely by a hurricane right after becoming a state. Turns into the proverbial desert island with one palm tree and 3 people, 2 of which are senators and the other a house rep.

As long as it doesn't get destroyed until after the 2020 census they'll have vacancies for several more reps, PR has the population of like the 5-6 least populous states combined. Statehood isn't just about stacking the Senate, there's legitimately a lot of disenfranchised people there.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

scuz posted:

Oh, right, the spineless narrative, gotta keep that afloat. Well done, turds :thumbsup:

Coming up next: "Gerrymandering having 'very troublesome' effects, but no action is needed, says party official."

I'd be happier for last night if I didn't fear that it didn't embolden a ton of "See, we just need to find a vile enough monster to run against!" types.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BonoMan posted:

If a president shouldn't be allowed to seat a Supreme Court Judge in the last year of his presidency then why do the Republicans get to pass a bill in the last month before a new Senator is seated?

Before you ask whether it's a big deal that Republicans are hypocrites or being unfair...

Republicans are okay being:

Rapists
Child Molestors
Thieves
Nazis
Traitors
Slavers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

It doesn't work like that , they can tell how many times it's been reprinted as well because each printer leaves identifiable marks.

Like person one creates and print it , that leaves a mark , the next person reprints that document , that printers mark is left on it.

Each printer leaves basically puts its fingerprint on the document.

They can even tell the sequence it's printed in.

They do this all the time and it's a common tool.

The amount of fingerprinting varies a lot from printer to printer. Most B/W printers have little to no fingerprinting.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Straight White Shark posted:

As long as it doesn't get destroyed until after the 2020 census they'll have vacancies for several more reps, PR has the population of like the 5-6 least populous states combined. Statehood isn't just about stacking the Senate, there's legitimately a lot of disenfranchised people there.

Also NOAA's expected "number of hurricanes per year" increase is like 12% by 2100, last year was an outlier and while the risk to Puerto Rico is definitely increased, there's no reason to expect them to get hammered by hurricanes every year, even with climate change.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe he was one day before another pollster came in?

It's the lowest average I can find on the chart, at least. He's doing real bad

And with no signs of improvement on the horizon. Even if they can manage to pass the tax bill and go in the media crowing about a "win", the thing is so wildly unpopular it's only going to drive him further down.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TGLT posted:

He can actually, they're just not going to do it.

edit: CNN article on it, he gets seated when the results get confirmed but they can wait until Jan 3rd to do it.

Oh, whoops.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Could they also make election day a national holiday? I think that would be a good idea. Require states to start mandatory vote by mail?

Mandatory vote by mail is lame but I'd like to see more early voting and election day being a national holiday. Voting is cool and good, everyone should be able to enjoy participating in democracy. :sun:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Here's some more on the Omarosa thing

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/941010292846288897

Sounds like they were poo poo talking black folk in front of her face for some time and she finally got fed up. Took her long enough?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

empty whippet box posted:

Seriously, just stop wasting money on old white people, the ones that aren't utter poo poo are going to vote for dems and the ones that are going to vote for republicans, nobody will ever be convinced. Focusing on turning out minority and young votes is the way forward and it's stunning that it's taken so long for the DNC to get that

I think it took Trump and Moore to really drive this point home, though. I mean, someone could have reasonably been on the fence between say, McCain and Obama without being a literally irredeemable person. I can see how you'd convince yourself they can be reached.

But looking at the numbers and seeing that a giant majority of white men voted for an insane, racist pedophile, or a narcissistic, pathologically dishonest sexual abuser means there can be no mistake: these people are poo poo, they can't be reached by sanity or reason, and they can't be helped. The only thing left is to take whatever action is necessary to minimize their influence on the electoral process, and the only legal and ethical way to do that is by driving up numbers of minority voters, women voters, and then maybe white progressives*.

* White progressive voters who weren't already voting democrat are probably a lost cause too, because if they didn't vote D to keep Trump out of the White House, no one will ever be pure enough for them, especially if they don't adopt an economics-first message instead of a racial/social justice message.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

scuz posted:

It is a bit of a clickbait headline:

quote:

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi haven’t stopped fighting to deliver something on immigration by the end of the month. But they’ve subtly shifted their rhetoric in recent days and aren’t insisting that deportation relief be paired with a government funding bill this year.

Top Democrats’ retreat from demands on a deal before 2018 ensures they won’t get blamed for a possible shutdown and won’t upend Senate talks on a bipartisan deal combining relief for Dreamers with border security. Those negotiations appear to be gaining momentum and may well bear fruit this month, particularly once Republicans reach a final agreement on their long-sought package of tax cuts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ReidRansom posted:

Sounds like they were poo poo talking black folk in front of her face for some time and she finally got fed up. Took her long enough?

Got a feeling that "source" is her. Omarosa is cynical as gently caress and I don't believe for a second that she wasn't fired. If Trump being racially tone-deaf actually bothered her she wouldn't have shown up for the campaign.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

ReidRansom posted:

While I don't doubt the Trump White House is a cesspool that entire article is a single anonymous source giving insight with how much Omarosa struggled with the responsibility of being black in the White house. I don't believe a word of that.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

ReidRansom posted:

I absolutely do not believe this, something tells me that's just the story she's shopping around now that she's out

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

Cool, so Donnie said something SUPER racist last night about Alabama voters in front of her and she finally snapped and screamed at him, so Kelly fired her.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 13, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Trabisnikof posted:

It is a bit of a clickbait headline:

Bingo, it's a misleading article not based on any actual statements of intent, it's just reading tea leaves from the fact that Schumer and Pelosi have been more quiet on the subject lately. As one possible reason for this move, it also notes that simultaneously there's a bill with bipartisan support that could provide relief for the dreamers without needing to force a shutdown over it (which could leave the shutdown fight for something else, like CHIP, in which case you'd want to avoid pivoting seamlessly from one demand to the next in the course of a day).

Honestly, I heard Pelosi at a presser say they'd come to no agreement on funding without a DACA fix as recently as Friday, too, so I'm not sure what they're going on here. Clickbait sucks.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

I absolutely do not believe this, something tells me that's just the story she's shopping around now that she's out

Lmao she is transparently trying to get back into the black community's good graces.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Cool, so Donnie said something SUPER racist last night about Alabama voters in front of her and she finally snapped and screamed at him, so Kelly fired her.

Bingo

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

no Shuckabee today

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

Lmao she is transparently trying to get back into the black community's good graces.

Was she ever there in the first place?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Isn't a year the minimum to get some sort of tax break from selling your stuff so you can be in government? I remember that coming up when some other official left after a year, and people indicated it seemed more or less expected

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

oh, NOW Trump is too racist, not when he was putting out loving newspaper ads calling for the death of 5 innocent men.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Was she ever there in the first place?

When she was first on the Apprentice, yeah

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Grapplejack posted:

Mandatory vote by mail is lame but I'd like to see more early voting and election day being a national holiday. Voting is cool and good, everyone should be able to enjoy participating in democracy. :sun:

I think voting by mail is a wonderful thing and the only realistic method of allowing everyone to vote. No offense, but a voting holiday is an absolute no-go in our hosed-up Puritan society and is nothing more than a pipe dream. Hell, we’re struggling now to recognize Thanksgiving, our one true national holiday, as a day when everyone deserves the day off. I give it 5-10 years before companies start asking employees to take it as a “personal holiday”.

That said, I do agree that voting by mail could have a few major problems, and the one I fear the most is the very likely situation where mail collection boxes in Black, Hispanic, or otherwise left-leaning neighborhoods are constantly vandalized or had their contents stolen and destroyed regularly during the voting periods. The Republicans try their damnedest to suppress voting, it wouldn’t surprise me if some PACs pay off criminals to throw hot coals down mail collection boxes.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

"How was I supposed to know Trump was a racist before I took a job in the White House?!?!"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Koalas March posted:

When she was first on the Apprentice, yeah

IMO her bullshit cost Kwame a win he should have walked away with. Trump being all "why didn't you fire her?" in the finale when there was no previous indication whatsoever that he had firing power was also some bullshit.

This piece on her from Daily Beast was an odd read, for anyone who missed it: https://www.thedailybeast.com/no-one-knows-what-omarosa-is-doing-in-the-white-houseeven-omarosa

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
loving Ohio

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/941016660412190721

quote:

A female Democratic House member shocked fellow lawmakers Wednesday when she said that the revealing clothing that some members and staffers wear is an “invitation” to sexual harassment.

Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio) made the comments during a private Democratic Caucus meeting Wednesday to discuss sexual harassment issues, according to two Democratic sources in the room.

“I saw a member yesterday with her cleavage so deep it was down to the floor,” Kaptur said, according to the sources present. “And what I’ve seen … it's really an invitation.” The comments left many others in the room stunned, the sources said.[
In a statement to POLITICO later Wednesday, Kaptur said she never meant to suggest that women are to blame for harassment they experience.

“When I was first elected to Congress my office and I became a refuge for female staffers who had been mistreated by their bosses. Some of them in tears many days. It is something I carry with me to this day and something I brought up during our Caucus meeting," she said. "Under no circumstances is it the victim's fault if they are harassed in any way. I shared the stories from my time here in the context of the ‘Me Too’ legislation and how we can elevate the decorum and the dress code to protect women from what is a pervasive problem here and in society at large.”

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

loving christ. I hope she gets piled on for this by everyone--her colleagues, everyone. gently caress this mindset. How could a woman think like this?

And her loving apology didn't make it any better.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

BOOK BOOK BOOK BOOK BOOK

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alter Ego posted:

loving christ. I hope she gets piled on for this by everyone--her colleagues, everyone. gently caress this mindset. How could a woman think this?

Would it surprise you that literally millions of American women think this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ripoff posted:

I think voting by mail is a wonderful thing and the only realistic method of allowing everyone to vote. No offense, but a voting holiday is an absolute no-go in our hosed-up Puritan society and is nothing more than a pipe dream. Hell, we’re struggling now to recognize Thanksgiving, our one true national holiday, as a day when everyone deserves the day off. I give it 5-10 years before companies start asking employees to take it as a “personal holiday”.

That said, I do agree that voting by mail could have a few major problems, and the one I fear the most is the very likely situation where mail collection boxes in Black, Hispanic, or otherwise left-leaning neighborhoods are constantly vandalized or had their contents stolen and destroyed regularly during the voting periods. The Republicans try their damnedest to suppress voting, it wouldn’t surprise me if some PACs pay off criminals to throw hot coals down mail collection boxes.

I think we need a combination of vote-by-mail, national holiday, mandatory time off, etc. There's no one size fits all solution and we need a set of layered options to make sure voting is as accessible as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/941014817250430979?s=17

• Locked thread