Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

They should make a Manos: Hands of Fate game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=306MTNhnnq4
http://store.steampowered.com/app/350780/MANOS/
"85% of the 77 reviews for this game are positive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
From the sister thread, regarding Okami:

Vic posted:

OK after I restarted steam the xbox360 controller support works with vibration and everything.

Yes you can skip all cutscenes including the intro, the faith animations everything. Even the short moments where you can't skip you can just hold Y and the text auto forwards for you. That wasn't present in the PS2 version IIRC.

YOU CAN NOW SKIP THE 20 MIN INTRO

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I only ever had the platformer for the regular Genesis, and that was great, because you could play as Grant or a loving velociraptor. (Try and guess what 90% of my playtime was.)

I don't remember much about The Lost World on the PSX... except for the Dreamworks splash screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl77NjhqiM

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Literally nothing in the history of ever has sold a remake/port to me faster.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Samuringa posted:

The part where Ammy is resurrected? I think you could do that in the Wii version.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You could do that in the original after you already beat the game once.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Pokemon Ultra Moon: Mantine Surfing is the only time I've actually enjoyed farming BP.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Phy posted:

I only ever had the platformer for the regular Genesis, and that was great, because you could play as Grant or a loving velociraptor. (Try and guess what 90% of my playtime was.)

I don't remember much about The Lost World on the PSX... except for the Dreamworks splash screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl77NjhqiM

I had a Mega Drive as a kid and there were three games that my sister and I would play all the drat time. Road Rash, Columns & Jurassic Park. I never got far into Jurassic Park but it was a really cool game

Testekill has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuringa posted:

No loving way, they actually did the only thing the game needed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

Sweet Mother of God :stwoon:.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Watch Dogs 2 has a scaled wanted level system like GTAs and many games before it, however, the most the police can bring against you is armored FBI SUVs and a single helicopter. The awesome thing is that when you get high enough, other players can pop into your game and hunt you down. You can occasionally choose to do the same to another player.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Truly the Dark Souls of Cyberpunk.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The elusive target stuff is cool, but I think the challenges in Hitman are probably the smartest addition. It's great to be able to gently caress with the video game diorama and still get rewarded. In prior Hitman games I'd have never used something like a propane tank, because it's a big loving explosion and not stealthy and you'll get caught and it's just stupid, but it counts as an accidental kill so if I'm going for that sort of challenge then gently caress it and gently caress my score. Plus if I get caught when going for challenges I don't really feel the need to restart any more. It's great.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

poptart_fairy posted:

In Assassins Creed Origins there's an achievement for running away from hippos. :haw:

I actually just got that last night. Hunting for hard leather but got a bit too over my head.

Origins in general is a really well designed game with a lot of great touches. Obviously the papyrus scrolls and tombs are fantastic, but one of my favorite things is how the game is really smart about making certain things convenient for the player without making it obvious.

The best example of this: Your horse always is just off screen when you call for it, unless it's already nearby. This is really obvious but kind of hilarious and works well.

What isn't obvious is that it does the same thing for boats in the water. When you're away from shore, the game starts to path civilian boats towards you as a sort of pseudo pick up. If no boats are in the area, it spawns one off screen and has it path towards you.

I just realized that it does this last night and it blew my mind, because it's such a smart fix for a really common problem in open world games.

Edit: Also the prompt for using a boat without a person in it is a generic "Mount", but using a boat being manned by a person is instead "Borrow", and the dude just sits down at the front of the boat until you leave. You can even choose to sit down instead and just let the guy ferry you where ever he's going. :3:

CascadeBeta has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Dec 15, 2017

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also Origins, you can hallucinate in the desert and see mirages and poo poo, it for reals freaked me out a bit that I could see what was apparently a pack of giant dogs in the distance, fighting amongst themselves but never coming any closer. It was honestly way subtler a thing than I would have excpected

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfenstein the New Colossus

BJ Blascowitz disguising himself as an actor named Redfield. :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

Wolfenstein the New Colossus

BJ Blascowitz disguising himself as an actor named Redfield. :allears:

His "acting" in that scene, with him obviously reading lines written on his hand in the flattest affectation possible despite being held at gunpoint by der fuhrer himself, is funny as gently caress.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

His "acting" in that scene, with him obviously reading lines written on his hand in the flattest affectation possible despite being held at gunpoint by der fuhrer himself, is funny as gently caress.

I legit super love that whole part. Especially the contrast between hitler's dementia addled behavior and him just straight up murdering the actors that then go on to die pretty realistically.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is less of a "little things in games" and more of a "games as a little thing": Xenoblade Chronicles works so much better as a handheld title than a console game it's insane. I bought into the hype when it came out originally and preordered it, spent like six or seven hours with it and put it down because frankly I didn't play my Wii that much at that point. Having it on the 3DS where I can put it to sleep whenever is amazing, and the budget-PS2 looking graphics that were so mediocre on a big TV look fantastic on a three and a half inch screen.

At this point I should just know better than to get any console RPGs at all - I love the genre but I'm never going to sit my rear end in front of a TV that long. I still haven't beaten Persona 5 for god's sake.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

This is less of a "little things in games" and more of a "games as a little thing": Xenoblade Chronicles works so much better as a handheld title than a console game it's insane. I bought into the hype when it came out originally and preordered it, spent like six or seven hours with it and put it down because frankly I didn't play my Wii that much at that point. Having it on the 3DS where I can put it to sleep whenever is amazing, and the budget-PS2 looking graphics that were so mediocre on a big TV look fantastic on a three and a half inch screen.

At this point I should just know better than to get any console RPGs at all - I love the genre but I'm never going to sit my rear end in front of a TV that long. I still haven't beaten Persona 5 for god's sake.

Yeah I've been starting to think along these lines lately as well, almost all of my JRPG playing for the past few years has been Square-Enix's mobile ports. You play a dungeon here and a boss battle there and everything autosaves all the time and you can pick it back up instantly, it all just works so well for the genre.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

I got turned off by the controller. I wanted to use the classic controller which feels like it weighs less than a loaf of bread, has a three foot cord, and then just this weight dangling off the end. It irrationally irritated me to the point I just stopped playing because it was dumb as hell.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Disney used to run an MMO for children called ToonTown Online. I played it when I was a kid, it was good. The enemies in TTO were Cogs: Robotic lawyers, salesmen, and other businesspeople set on eliminating fun and laughter from ToonTown. They all had cartoonish and exaggerated designs. However, high level players could raid the HQs of the different kinds of Cogs, and within the HQs they would find Skelecogs: unfinished Cogs which hadn't had their skin put on yet.

This is what I remember most about the game: the designers nailed the look of the Skelecogs. They look like a cross between an unfinished animatronic and a video game character that hasn't loaded in properly. Creepy and cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I played with that briefly when it first came out, but I was early 20s at the time, just curious. It was a neat game with a fun party mechanic.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I remember playing around in that. I also had good times with goons, horsing around in that Ducktales MMO.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rough Lobster posted:

I remember playing around in that. I also had good times with goons, horsing around in that Ducktales MMO.

I can't believe they shut the servers down when they did, I was about two prestige levels away from a viable build to be able to solo loving Flintheart Glomgold.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rough Lobster posted:

horsing around in that Ducktales MMO.
Sounds like you were playing it wrong. :thunk:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I found a keycard in Prey completely by accident. I was rounding up a bunch of garbage to throw a recycle grenade at when I lifted up a tissue box in a crewman quarters and found a keycard. If I had been lazy I would never have found it or even just junked it with the grenade had I not been piling stuff up in a corner. This game.

Poltergeists are my favorite thing. They’re a complete non-threat. If they didn’t throw poo poo at you, or have delicious tumor meat inside, I’d just ignore the invisible lift fielding dudes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Missing Link posted:

I found a keycard in Prey completely by accident. I was rounding up a bunch of garbage to throw a recycle grenade at when I lifted up a tissue box in a crewman quarters and found a keycard. If I had been lazy I would never have found it or even just junked it with the grenade had I not been piling stuff up in a corner. This game.

Poltergeists are my favorite thing. They’re a complete non-threat. If they didn’t throw poo poo at you, or have delicious tumor meat inside, I’d just ignore the invisible lift fielding dudes.

Keycards won't get recycled, I think. They may be thrown around, though.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Little late, but adding to some New Colossus love:

TontoCorazon posted:

I legit super love that whole part. Especially the contrast between hitler's dementia addled behavior and him just straight up murdering the actors that then go on to die pretty realistically.

The fact that "Das Ende Alles Bosen's" title slide looks like it's straight out of an Ed Wood movie just adds to the tableau.

You just know he painted that slide himself.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just picked up Prey last weekend, and the amount of love and care put into building the station as a lived in place is amazing.

The various designs/architectures between the new TriStar habitation zones, the more recent utility expansions, and the old core research facilities is fantastic. There's some part of me that just nerds out at the sliding scale of "looks nice" to "bare bones industrial setting" you get throughout the whole station.

I have two other little things I can think of off the top of my head. In the beginning, in Morgan's apartment, there's a little red envelope with a rat on it sitting on the kitchen counter. Someone gave Morgan a good luck money pouch for the Chinese New Year :3:

Then there's the fact that the station is pretty self contained and sustainable. Pretty much all the food items come from stuff grown on the station, the pudding, the tomato jerky, etc..

So what about the eels? The eels live in the wastewater treatment tank. Even the protein on the station serves a purpose, since that's what helps filter the wastewater.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So yeah over a decade later I have just noticed that in Unreal Tournament 2K4 between matches there's an option you can check to see how the other teams are doing in the tournament. Not only do teams from UT99 not otherwise in the game show up there, it also determines which of the three final bosses/teams you face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Greatbacon posted:

I just picked up Prey last weekend, and the amount of love and care put into building the station as a lived in place is amazing.

The various designs/architectures between the new TriStar habitation zones, the more recent utility expansions, and the old core research facilities is fantastic. There's some part of me that just nerds out at the sliding scale of "looks nice" to "bare bones industrial setting" you get throughout the whole station.

I have two other little things I can think of off the top of my head. In the beginning, in Morgan's apartment, there's a little red envelope with a rat on it sitting on the kitchen counter. Someone gave Morgan a good luck money pouch for the Chinese New Year :3:

Then there's the fact that the station is pretty self contained and sustainable. Pretty much all the food items come from stuff grown on the station, the pudding, the tomato jerky, etc..

So what about the eels? The eels live in the wastewater treatment tank. Even the protein on the station serves a purpose, since that's what helps filter the wastewater.

I loved that. I spent the whole game wondering why there were so many loving eels everywhere on this space station then I found the water treatment plant :stare:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

B.I.O.Freaks

Yes, the somewhat obscure and unfairly tough Mortal Kombat-like probably only remembered these days for “Praise Ssapo.” On one stage at the extreme top of the room you only saw for split-seconds at a time at the height of your rocket jumps was a banner with two baby pictures on it. I have no confirmation of this other than Blockbuster rental memories, but I always thought these were probably the devs’ kids. They would be adults now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

B.I.O.Freaks

Yes, the somewhat obscure and unfairly tough Mortal Kombat-like probably only remembered these days for “Praise Ssapo.” On one stage at the extreme top of the room you only saw for split-seconds at a time at the height of your rocket jumps was a banner with two baby pictures on it. I have no confirmation of this other than Blockbuster rental memories, but I always thought these were probably the devs’ kids. They would be adults now.

My mom got mad at me because my Nintendo Power showed a picture of the soldier woman and her low-poly underboob.

Ahh, memories.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

B.I.O.Freaks

This reminds me of how, iirc, one of the Powerpuff Girls games on the Game Boy Color had a password feature, where one of the passwords you put in showed a picture of someone's family? Probably a dev easter egg but for some weird reason it really creeped me out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

graybook posted:

This reminds me of how, iirc, one of the Powerpuff Girls games on the Game Boy Color had a password feature, where one of the passwords you put in showed a picture of someone's family? Probably a dev easter egg but for some weird reason it really creeped me out.

Those kinda things were all over mid-90s shooters and yeah, always weirded me out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Psychonauts also had the hidden photo of one of the developer's GFs in the Lungfishopolis level.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
At this point I'm still not sure how much I enjoy Super Mario Odyssey, but two little musical points have struck me at being very, very good at subtly playing with older Mario music.

1. It's played completely differently, and you might not notice until getting a Power Star in the Mushroom Kingdom plays the original, but the jingle for getting a regular (non-progressing-map) Power Moon is the same melody as getting a star in Mario 64. Once I realized this it seems really obvious, though.

2. Bowser's stage music is a style that's kinda new to the series, and especially for Bowser, but it still sounds extremely Bowser because of how they include some melody and instrumentation from older Bowser themes. Basically the first thing you hear is the background progression from his stages in Mario 64, and I think there's some others in there too.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Dec 18, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inzombiac posted:

Those kinda things were all over mid-90s shooters and yeah, always weirded me out.

https://tcrf.net/Bart_Simpson%27s_Escape_from_Camp_Deadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's a straight-up creepypasta poo poo.