Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The 996 exhaust sounds super tame, tbh. One of the more disappointing aspects of the car.

Another one went for <20k today. Prices seem to be slightly trending down but probably close to the bottom of the curve:
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/996/

God drat, I didn't know that you could get a 4S with <100k miles for that much.

e: it showing me the 4S that's still up was a lie!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jymmybob posted:

Just spend a hundo and have a muffler shop do the gundo hack. The PO of my 996 did something similar and it sounds really good considering the cost but I also haven't heard a stock one either.

Neat; now I just have to procrastinate on calling around and finding the cheapest shop for it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I wish I had garage space right now.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

the spyder posted:

I wish I had garage space right now.

Do it!!! Flat 6 is a healthy addition to the rotary lifestyle, also aren't you left coast? TOP DOWN

120k is actually a good thing considering the 05 ims

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Could someone please convince me I'm a dummy for wanting a 2001 911 Carerra 4 (~78K miles)? The asking price is $19,995. Usually my wife talks sense into me, but this time she said I should at least test drive it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Could someone please convince me I'm a dummy for wanting a 2001 911 Carerra 4 (~78K miles)? The asking price is $19,995. Usually my wife talks sense into me, but this time she said I should at least test drive it.

If that's just some random car, the price could be a bit high. BringATrailer's recently sold a few nice 996s with IMS bearings replaced for under 20k:
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/996/
Look at that square cluster at the end.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Thats right about the asking price I've seen a few here in Canada , so you should def. Be looking for a lower price if that's in usd

Unless it's a private sale in which case they will always try to get you to pay top dollar when every other car around it is selling for 5k less

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Emailed the seller about this salvage/rebuild 2000, 911 Carrera with 43k miles listed for $16k.

"We purchased this Porsche from the insurance company 10 years ago. The damage was on the left side ( Hood, Bumper, Headlight, fender, Strut and Radiator ) This has been our personal car for 10 years."

From the sounds of it, it looks like the shops fun car that didn't actually see that much usage. They probably did some burnouts or whatever early on but let it sit around for the last few years.

If it looks like a good deal, are there any questions I should send them?
The only one I could think of was if the 43k miles were original or post rebuild.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think I'd do it for 16k. Not even 14k.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Even if it looks decent (even seems to be the original frunk hood which is good for a wreck), the rebuild status will always be a huge, HUGE red flag for anyone. There are enough nice 996s out there that you can avoid this unless they're almost giving it to you.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Don't do it. I can't imagine that 10 years ago it could be totaled out for such minor damage. If you want a rebuilt super cheap 996 then you can take mine for much less than that. :q:

edit: not actually kidding, someone buy it

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 5, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Don't do it. I can't imagine that 10 years ago it could be totaled out for such minor damage. If you want a rebuilt super cheap 996 then you can take mine for much less than that. :q:

edit: not actually kidding, someone buy it

If I didn't have mine already, I'd yours. I have a feeling yours is tighter all around.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For you 996 prospective buyers, two more on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-17/
Aftermarket turboed, so a lot of people aren't touching it. Understandable.
I dunno if I'd seen this one locally a while in the past.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-porsche-911-targa-4/
Will probably go over 20, but not too much more. I've never driven an AWD 996, so have no idea how different it feels.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Thinking about £20k on a 2010 Boxster S 987.2

Any advice?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Any advice?

What's that in freedom dollars?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Will probably go over 20, but not too much more. I've never driven an AWD 996, so have no idea how different it feels.

Ha, was actually going to come back here and ask people’s thoughts on this. I might put a bid on this one, but am a bit leery buying a car I don’t get to inspect or test drive first.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Any advice?

Blue On Blue posted:

What's that in freedom dollars?

$27,360

Which would be kind of a great deal, any other info? How many miles?

EDIT: Oh wow, I guess that's about average these days. Well not a great deal but depending on the miles could be great value

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 12, 2018

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

For you 996 prospective buyers, two more on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-17/
Aftermarket turboed, so a lot of people aren't touching it. Understandable.
I dunno if I'd seen this one locally a while in the past.

Just noticed the AWD comment. Bit confused: the Carfax for that listing says RWD, and honestly, I thought the standard Targa came in RWD.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I see no reason to think that's AWD. :confused:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Just noticed the AWD comment. Bit confused: the Carfax for that listing says RWD, and honestly, I thought the standard Targa came in RWD.

Big whoops on my part -- I pasted the url and saw that it said targa-4 at the end.
That just means it's the 4th listing that matched those words, but in my mind I turned it into a 4 for AWD.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that TT 996 C2 was an amazing buy. RIP seller

Apparently it was a new 3.6 crate motor that was installed and turboed at 42k miles so it's probably a monster.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yes but iTs NoT aN oRiGiNaL PoRschE aNyMorE

god I hate BaT people but I guess it's good for deals that the collector/speculator types don't want

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it's fair to be cautious about any car that's been aftermarket turboed, especially one that didn't have extensive community support for the mods. On this car, the mods truly added 0 value.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
What was the Porsche model from the 80's (?) that was legendary for unreliability?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

thechalkoutline posted:

$27,360

Which would be kind of a great deal, any other info? How many miles?

EDIT: Oh wow, I guess that's about average these days. Well not a great deal but depending on the miles could be great value

Didn't go for it, dealer poo poo all over my car (fair enough negotiating wise) and it was too much to change for not enough of a change.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Groda posted:

What was the Porsche model from the 80's (?) that was legendary for unreliability?

The 928? It is easily fixed with a LS swap. I am still kicking myself for not buying an $6,000 that was already swapped. The speedo didn't work or the tach so I had doubts about the quality. I just wanted to troll the porsche club and track days.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's fair to be cautious about any car that's been aftermarket turboed, especially one that didn't have extensive community support for the mods. On this car, the mods truly added 0 value.

I think if the seller wasn't a dealer that didn't figure out what they had then it would have gone for more. Looks like people found out it was a TTP turbo kit strapped to a new 3.6 engine then dropped in so it should be about as bulletproof as you'll get from an M96. Goddamn that had to be expensive. Long shot that it's a TTP Stage 4 crate engine but that'd be incredibly cool for the buyer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

I think if the seller wasn't a dealer that didn't figure out what they had then it would have gone for more. Looks like people found out it was a TTP turbo kit strapped to a new 3.6 engine then dropped in so it should be about as bulletproof as you'll get from an M96. Goddamn that had to be expensive. Long shot that it's a TTP Stage 4 crate engine but that'd be incredibly cool for the buyer.

I saw an aftermarket turboed silver 996 on Boston Craiglist a ways back; I can't remember far, but it definitely hung around without a sale at the 25k mark.
Given that that had a MA title, I would bet it's the same car. Not saying anything was wrong with the car, but I'm sure a lot of people had the same apprehension about that extensive of a mod.
The seller never answered my question about that.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I saw an aftermarket turboed silver 996 on Boston Craiglist a ways back; I can't remember far, but it definitely hung around without a sale at the 25k mark.
Given that that had a MA title, I would bet it's the same car. Not saying anything was wrong with the car, but I'm sure a lot of people had the same apprehension about that extensive of a mod.
The seller never answered my question about that.

It's the same one. I'm not too risk averse on top of not being a Porsche traditionalist so I'm always surprised how much Porsche values are depressed by mods and lack of service history. That thing is like the C2 equivalent of my 996TT by having really expensive mods offered without the extended service histories sold by a non-enthusiast so it hits close to home. If it was closer to me and I didn't have my C2 I would have bid it over 20k easily.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Replaced frunk (no vin/option sticker anymore) but no accident claims on the carfax?

:raise:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 14, 2018

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Um, dumb question time, guys. Most modern Porsches (as of built this century) will be 50 state certified for emissions compliance, right? I feel like I'm being annoying every time I email/PM a seller to ask to check for the emissions sticker.

Also, am I missing something about this listing? Not a fan of the rear wing spoiler, and I know people tend to prefer manual over automatic Porsches, but I'm still surprised the bids are so low:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-911-carrera-6/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

Replaced frunk (no vin/option sticker anymore) but no accident claims on the carfax?

:raise:

Things only show up on Carfax if they are reported

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ibntumart posted:

Also, am I missing something about this listing? Not a fan of the rear wing spoiler, and I know people tend to prefer manual over automatic Porsches, but I'm still surprised the bids are so low:
Meh, it'll probably still climb a bit but it's got a lot of little negatives about it.

In other news, I'm considering dropping the motor and doing the timing chains/paddles purely as preventative maintenance on my 99.

Then I started thinking, if I do that, how far should I go? And THEN I started thinking... I wonder how much a Raby Flat 6 Innovations refresh would go for.... and if I sold the car in a few years how much of that I might get back...

:thunk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Um, dumb question time, guys. Most modern Porsches (as of built this century) will be 50 state certified for emissions compliance, right? I feel like I'm being annoying every time I email/PM a seller to ask to check for the emissions sticker.

I think the automatic really torpedoes the price. Much more so in the air cooled generations, but certainly still real here.

This one is in the same boat: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-turbo-14/
I wonder if it'll break 30k.

slidebite posted:

In other news, I'm considering dropping the motor and doing the timing chains/paddles purely as preventative maintenance on my 99.
How many miles are on it? Looks like chains are on both ends?

Is it easy "while you're in there" work with an IMS fix? I'm debating do the oil squirter solution in the spring.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The camshafts have to be pulled to do the guides.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Meh, it'll probably still climb a bit but it's got a lot of little negatives about it.

Then I started thinking, if I do that, how far should I go? And THEN I started thinking... I wonder how much a Raby Flat 6 Innovations refresh would go for.... and if I sold the car in a few years how much of that I might get back...

:thunk:

When I was in the market it seems a Raby engine adds about 10k to the sales price so you get some of the cost back. It might just be that I am assuming a lower non Raby price then is reasonable though. I bought a mustang because a replacement ecoboost 4 banger is $800 on ebay in running condition with all accessories. It seems mustangs have a 20% crash rate per year or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

How many miles are on it? Looks like chains are on both ends?

Is it easy "while you're in there" work with an IMS fix? I'm debating do the oil squirter solution in the spring.
71K Miles/115K Kms.

I don't think that's the engine. All the timing chains on the M96 series should be in front.... at least all the tensioners are!

Dave Inc. posted:

The camshafts have to be pulled to do the guides.
Valve guides you mean? I don't plan on touching the heads, just the chains and paddles.

If I go a Raby rebuild, it'll be done to a 3.6 and a full tilt rebuild. It ain't cheap though, so I've got to do some serious thinking if that's a hole I really want to go down.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

slidebite posted:

71K Miles/115K Kms.

I don't think that's the engine. All the timing chains on the M96 series should be in front.... at least all the tensioners are!

Valve guides you mean? I don't plan on touching the heads, just the chains and paddles.

If I go a Raby rebuild, it'll be done to a 3.6 and a full tilt rebuild. It ain't cheap though, so I've got to do some serious thinking if that's a hole I really want to go down.

No the chain guides, I don't think you can get to them with the chains in place as the chain galleys are integral to the head, not under a cover. And the M96/7 engines have timing chains front and rear, it's the Mezger based engines (turbo/GT) that have all the chains up front.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phone posting, but these are the timing chains on the vanilla M96. They are in the front. I *think* the only chain in the rear is for the IMS. I’m not sure what’s required for disassembly to get at all of them, but the usual culprits are the ones that flex with the tensioners.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The IMS has gears on the front and back, the back gear is for cam timing to cylinders 1-3, the front gear is for cam timing to cylinders 4-6. On the M96/7 they used the same head for both sides so the gears were flipped back to front.

Here's an M97 rebuild. They don't show the left head teardown but you can see that he's doing all the gear/chain work on the rear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_IeP_iShxA