Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That Hiashi Master Plan always reminds me of my dumb theory from before the movie with the Moon People happened. Which is that the Uzumaki were to the Hyuuga as the Senju were to the Uchiha, it's just instead of fighting they went their separate ways.

Then the movie with the Moon People happened, and I felt despair.

It kind of made sense in my head too, the Senju and Uzumaki are both noted for having exceptional bodies/Chakras, whilst the Uchiha and Hyuuga of course have their Eyes.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

That Hiashi Master Plan always reminds me of my dumb theory from before the movie with the Moon People happened. Which is that the Uzumaki were to the Hyuuga as the Senju were to the Uchiha, it's just instead of fighting they went their separate ways.

Then the movie with the Moon People happened, and I felt despair.

It kind of made sense in my head too, the Senju and Uzumaki are both noted for having exceptional bodies/Chakras, whilst the Uchiha and Hyuuga of course have their Eyes.

I remember laughing even early on when they introduced Byakugan as the original eye jutsu Sharingan was descended from and it sucked in comparison.

"You can see pretty far!"

"Cool I can see any movements and copy any non-bloodline jutsu and also send people to the shadow realm, summon massively destructive fire and a chakra gundam"

Granted the MS was later but even before that it was kind of lame, also ugly af.

IIRC does Naruto ever use the Rasen-Shuriken again? I feel like this current arc is Sasuke VS Itachi, then it's straight into Jiraiya finding and losing to Pain/Konan then it's time for Pain VS Konaha and Naruto has sage mode for that.

Also the best original theory before the wheels came off imo was that Naruto was descended from the Sage of Six Paths and that Pain was Arashi Uzumaki. On the toad scroll there's the name Arashi Uzumaki and Pain and SoSP looked like Naruto in silhouette. So the idea was they came from another line of legendary ninjas to Sasuke's Uchiha's and Naruto's Rinnegan would be paired up with Sasuke's Sharingan. Instead it was a thousand times more contrived and Sasuke got both :shakesfist:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Byakugan is indeed the weakest eye power, but it's still pretty good. It lets you see pretty far, gives you something like a 350° cone of vision and also makes you real good at seeing chakra. It's not great in comparison but that's only because the other eyes are loving bullshit.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Byakugan gives you 359 degree x-ray telescopic vision, and extends the range of visual genjutsu because you can still technically look them in the eye from 5 kilometers away.

It'd be OP as gently caress in a world of ninja if the Sharingan hadn't been updated to have all the powers and also occasionally immunity to all forms of attack forever (short of being eaten by a literal God).

And also if genjutsu weren't completely worthless for anyone who's not Itachi.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sharingan being super perception vs byakugan being massive insight was an interesting set of eye powers before sharingan went super saiyan

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sharingan are more powerful but byakugan don't give you brain problems so it is clearly better.

also, apparently byakugan and sharingan aren't related now?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sharingan are more powerful but byakugan don't give you brain problems so it is clearly better.

also, apparently byakugan and sharingan aren't related now?

Technically they are. (This is from memory so specifics might be wrong)

All Occular powers come from Kaguya who had both a Byakugan and a Rinnegan/Sharingan. She had some kids, and the sage of six paths essentially split the eye powers into one kid, and the other kid gets the Senju stuff. Indra and Ashura, I think

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Before the Crazy M Sharingan was introduced Kakashi stated he thought the Byakugan was better.

Rinnegan is still the best however.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Before the Crazy M Sharingan was introduced Kakashi stated he thought the Byakugan was better.

Rinnegan is still the best however.

It probably is more useful for most ninja'ing activities.

Being able to see 360, see Chakra, and see through objects is crazy useful for Ninja missions, and tracking.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Up until Itachi they were both at the very least eye techniques. Copying jutsu kind of makes sense because you can mimic their seals perfectly and then as it can also see chakra you can understand how and where to build it up. It's still OP but understandable. It wasn't until Shippuden when Kishimoto tried to apply Hunter X Hunter style nen rules to a system that had spent a couple of years with basically none but he also wanted to add loads of new features to it a lot. I like Naruto a lot but if Kishimoto had the kind of restraint with powerups that Oda has or had the meticulousness that Togashi has from the start Naruto would be superb. Luckily that exists and is called Hunter X Hunter. Now if only Togashi had Kishi's spine

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can see why Kakashi, specifically, would think that. Notice that Ao can switch his eye on and off, instead of having it draining him constantly like Kakashi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

Technically they are. (This is from memory so specifics might be wrong)

All Occular powers come from Kaguya who had both a Byakugan and a Rinnegan/Sharingan. She had some kids, and the sage of six paths essentially split the eye powers into one kid, and the other kid gets the Senju stuff. Indra and Ashura, I think

nah, i looked it up. byakugan comes from the sage's brother who only got the briefest of mentions in the manga.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Also weird that only leaf ninja get eye techniques because apparently all the other ninja in the world aren't descended from anybody worth mentioning?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, you'd think that maybe the indra and ashura bloodlines reuniting might be some big special thing, but that's not what happened thanks to an in-continuity movie.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm sure the plan was that there'd be at least as many Eyes as there were Tailed Beasts, but Sasuke needed to stay special so in the end he gets the only two that matter.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, you'd think that maybe the indra and ashura bloodlines reuniting might be some big special thing, but that's not what happened thanks to an in-continuity movie.

That's how you unlock the Rinnegan, right? That's technically a big deal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm sure the plan was that there'd be at least as many Eyes as there were Tailed Beasts, but Sasuke needed to stay special so in the end he gets the only two that matter.

That's how you unlock the Rinnegan, right? That's technically a big deal.

that's the supposed natural way to get a rinnegan, but not a single person ever met those requirements. sasuke got his from the sage, madara got his by swapping spit with hashirama, and pain's were just madara's hand-me-downs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, Boruto's kid with Salad will have the Rinnengan+Borutogan, extra good sealing and massive chakra reserves.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Also weird that only leaf ninja get eye techniques because apparently all the other ninja in the world aren't descended from anybody worth mentioning?

There are some non-Leaf eye powers in filler, like Ranmaru.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Byakugan is actually better in all but the most insane stuff, which the ninja war turned into. Most ninja combat was implied to be pretty low-key stuff, until the series started retconning itself hardcore. I've gone into this before, all the sharingan stuff is a massive wear on your body and chakra, if it doesn't make you blind or shoot blood out of your eyes or whatever else. Byakugan plus any ranged combat style would get you easily into old age and you could just shoot sharigan users in the back of the head from across the battlefield while they're making grandiose speeches about caverns full of hate falling on their skin these eyes will not stop bleeding, which they are genetically forced to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, Byakugan is actually super useful all the time, where as Sharingan is all stuff that's useful in specific situations and generally at great personal cost.

I remember my theory being that the way it sort of works is that the Uchiha have the eyes/mind of Demons (Illusion powers/stealing stuff from others), the Senju had Sagely bodies (Good Nature Release and long lives), thus in reverse the Hyuuga had Sagely eyes (True-sight and can see Chakra of everything), and the Uzumaki had demonic bodies (Naturally good Jinchuruuki and sealing/charka stuff besides nature release).

This even sort of leads into why the Senju and Uzumaki don't have bloodlines in the traditional way, they instead have different manifestations of having Sagely/Demonic Chakra. Hence the First was a wood user but none of his children/relatives were, they would've had something else. But both are equally long-lived because they have Inhuman Chakra to keep them alive and healthy longer.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Itachi and Obito also wiped out the rest of the Uchiha in one night. So the Sharingan really didn't do the rest of them any good. You just get ultra-hax destiny powering up the remaining few.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Teek posted:

Itachi and Obito also wiped out the rest of the Uchiha in one night. So the Sharingan really didn't do the rest of them any good. You just get ultra-hax destiny powering up the remaining few.

Didn't some of the Uchihas not have Sharingan at all? Plus Shisui was already dead, and Itachi's parents and girlfriend sort of accepted their fates.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Silver2195 posted:

Didn't some of the Uchihas not have Sharingan at all? Plus Shisui was already dead, and Itachi's parents and girlfriend sort of accepted their fates.

Itachi had a girlfriend? :psyduck:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think he had met kisame back then

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, Itachi's girlfriend was a cousin of his?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Itachi had a girlfriend? :psyduck:

I think she was exclusive to the anime (though she may have been adapted from one of the light novels as well).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, Itachi's girlfriend was a cousin of his?
Why did you think the Hyuugas and Uchihas all look alike? :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

I think she was exclusive to the anime (though she may have been adapted from one of the light novels as well).

She was alluded to in the manga, IIRC (Obito claims that Itachi killed "his lover"), but I believe she wasn't named until the LN.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

man kakashi's a dick, also Konohamaru's a scrub.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 13, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexo posted:

man kakashi's a dick, also Konohamaru's a scrub.

Do remember that Shino got taken down Singlehandedly by Mitsuki.

Decided to go back and see the Salad Gaiden episodes.
1) That ED was excellent
2) It was amazing to relive the hype of "Sakura's life is MISERY"
3) I saw it with my girlfriend and she said "He's going to ask who she is!" when Sasuke and Salad were about to meet, only to scream when he pulls a goddamned sword on her instead.

What a good story that was :3: Suigetsu's DNA Test is joy.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

In a strange turn of events, the side character with the cat tail turns out to be one of the most useful ninja in their class.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wouldn't it be nice if all the side characters stayed relevant and powerful enough to be useful in important fights all throughout the series, instead of being relegated to mook killing duty halfway through while Boruto has all the fun?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mymla posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if all the side characters stayed relevant and powerful enough to be useful in important fights all throughout the series, instead of being relegated to mook killing duty halfway through while Boruto has all the fun?

Hahahahhahaha

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Discounting Sasuke and Naruto, who is the strongest Leaf ninja of their generation?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Discounting Sasuke and Naruto, who is the strongest Leaf ninja of their generation?

Alive, and in a fight?

Lee, Then probably Sakura/Shikamaru, then who cares.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
No real way of knowing tbh, since we never see anyone else fight properly.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Alive, and in a fight?

Lee, Then probably Sakura/Shikamaru, then who cares.

Lee only knows taijutsu, he's too 1 sided. Shikamaru is too lazy to care. It's Sakura cause she's a Tsunade clone with strength and healing abilities. Choji is also super strong.

Hinata is a 5 tool prospect that never reaches her potential because she was made into a waifiu instead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Shikamaru hasn't been "too lazy to care" in a while

He was the first person to actually take down an Akatsuki solo

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 15, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Lee only knows taijutsu, he's too 1 sided. Shikamaru is too lazy to care. It's Sakura cause she's a Tsunade clone with strength and healing abilities. Choji is also super strong.

Hinata is a 5 tool prospect that never reaches her potential because she was made into a waifiu instead.

Gai only knew taijutsu, and he just about killed the final boss of the anime.

Well, penultimate, but I'm sure he was supposed to be the last before Jump decided they wanted a few more months of chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When Guy is not on screen the other characters should be asking "where's, Guy"