Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Steve2911 posted:

What? Why?

Because now we're going into the 3rd sequel movie and Han's dead, Carrie's dead so Leia will be written out, and now Luke's dead, after being barely a cameo in the first movie and Obi Wan in the second.

Essentially a Chrono Chross Level of making GBS threads all over the established characters. Oh, all the stuff you did in the OT? Pointless as the empire is back and your kid/nephew is a mass murdering sociopath.

It's bleak as hell and not what I'm looking for out of Star Wars in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Luke can always be a force ghost.

Besides the central theme of this movie was out with the old. Well, really the only theme of the movie. Other than empire = bad because animal abuse.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

DrNutt posted:

gently caress them for not rewriting it so Luke could live after Carrie died. What utter horseshit.

Luke is like the fifth best character in the OT and Hamill is not a very good actor. It's time to move on.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DrNutt posted:

Because now we're going into the 3rd sequel movie and Han's dead, Carrie's dead so Leia will be written out, and now Luke's dead, after being barely a cameo in the first movie and Obi Wan in the second.

Essentially a Chrono Chross Level of making GBS threads all over the established characters. Oh, all the stuff you did in the OT? Pointless as the empire is back and your kid/nephew is a mass murdering sociopath.

It's bleak as hell and not what I'm looking for out of Star Wars in 2017.

Chrono Cross is good, sorry.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Luke is like the fifth best character in the OT and Hamill is not a very good actor. It's time to move on.

Dumb opinions ITT

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

drunkill posted:

I'm willing to put Episode 1 above this... almost.

Well, that's a good sign, considering Ep I is third on my list ;)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

drunkill posted:

Besides the central theme of this movie was out with the old. Well, really the only theme of the movie. Other than empire = bad because animal abuse.

In all likelihood, with Carrie gone, this is what they're going to go to in lieu of her having her big moment in IX.

Although

Billy Dee Williams owns a phone, Disney. Feel free to dial his number anytime.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

Chrono Cross is good, sorry.

In a vacuum it's a good game with outstanding music and an incredibly painfully slow bordering on unplayable battle system in 2017. As a sequel to Chrono Trigger, it's trash.

clown shoes posted:

Hamill has come a long way since the OT and Luke had the potential of being a fantastic character, which was pissed away.

I guess we'll see how much force ghostin' he does in ep 9 but if you're going to wipe out your old cast and replace them with new people, you should probably give us new characters that aren't simply boring retreads of their OT counterparts (except Finn and BB8, they're great).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OctoberCountry posted:

I think a lot of the Lucasfilm "story group" were probably in on the joke too

Literally every theory was better than the reality. Shove that smug bullshit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Doesn’t Luke say something like “See ya around, kid” after taunting Kylo before he ascends to the Force?

What if he’s not dead? What if he just leveled up to some previously unknown plane of existence that goes beyond force ghosts? He’ll definitely be back for IX.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DrNutt posted:

In a vacuum it's a good game with outstanding music and an incredibly painfully slow bordering on unplayable battle system in 2017. As a sequel to Chrono Trigger, it's trash.

Actually, it's a great sequel just awkwardly told, sorry.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gonz posted:

Doesn’t Luke say something like “See ya around, kid” after taunting Kylo before he ascends to the Force?

What if he’s not dead? What if he just leveled up to some previously unknown plane of existence that goes beyond force ghosts? He’ll definitely be back for IX.

Now you're thinking like JJ Abrams! :v:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Cameo posted:

In all likelihood, with Carrie gone, this is what they're going to go to in lieu of her having her big moment in IX.

Although

Billy Dee Williams owns a phone, Disney. Feel free to dial his number anytime.

You know Star Wars law, only one black person can exist in the galaxy at one time in the main cast.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Has anyone seen it in 3D yet? I have only seen one movie in 3D ever, Avatar, as I usually don't see the point, but I'm going to be seeing it a second time next week (when my brother will be able to see it), and the only showing that worked for our schedules is a 3D showing. As those things go, is it a good 3D movie or bad?

Assuming I already think 3D is dumb, I mean.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jiro posted:

Now you're thinking like JJ Abrams! :v:

Hire me, Pablo Hidalgo!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

Actually, it's a great sequel just awkwardly told, sorry.

Yeah, the best sequels poo poo all over the previous entries characters just to prove a point about entropy or nihilism or whatever oh wai-

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Being butthurt that a. you don't play as the old cast or b. most of them die in the interim does not a bad sequel make.

e: which is fitting here tbh! og trilogy people dying doesn't make this a bad sequel inherently

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 13, 2017

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Jose Oquendo posted:

You put Rogue One at the #3 so I have no idea if your review/opinions have any any merit.

I'd say his ranking is spot on. ROTJ has a great first act and final saber duel, but is mostly garbage. The prequels are universally poo poo. TFA is a-okay, but nothing special. Yeah, I'd say The Guns of Navarone in Space deserves its number 3 spot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

Being butthurt that a. you don't play as the old cast or b. most of them die in the interim does not a bad sequel make.

It's not about being butthurt, it's a lousy sequel because it takes a game that's generally bright, and full of hope for the future, and then says 'nah, actually, they died and everything they fought for just made things worse, losers."

Which may or may not directly related to Star Wars, I guess we'll see what happens when ep 9 comes out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DrNutt posted:

It's not about being butthurt, it's a lousy sequel because it takes a game that's generally bright, and full of hope for the future, and then says 'nah, actually, they died and everything they fought for just made things worse, losers."

Which may or may not directly related to Star Wars, I guess we'll see what happens when ep 9 comes out.

The future refused to change hth

e; i'm high and bad

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

esperterra posted:

e: which is fitting here tbh! og trilogy people dying doesn't make this a bad sequel inherently

If anything that probably bugs me the most is Luke never leaving the island, and force projecting or whatever. He dies sure whatever, but man have the guy actually BE THERE give him a lil bit of redemption. Have him fly in in his X-Wing blowing poo poo out of the sky, ejecting himself out of it as it flies into a ship, then him fighting on the ground, actually against Kylo, then give him that moment of relief before dying he senses everyone got away and poof disappears. Off to be naked while dead or something. Having him be a hard light hologram implies he wants it both ways of being unable to let go of his guilt and shame but he still wants to help.

Guy should have died on Crait.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
We took my girlfriend's dad to see TFA when it came out, and he was really disappointed that Luke wasn't in it because he said he he had been waiting 30 years to see him again.

He wants us to go see this with him, too, and I almost don't have the heart to let that poor old man be sad again when Luke dies.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Gonz posted:

It's possible I'm misjudging the poorly uploaded scene of him and Yoda, but that's the point. Yoda is not a ghost, he's there and at the end of the scene, physically bonks Luke on the head with his cane.

In the scene in question...for the first half of that scene, that was a 3rd party Yoda CGI, right? It looks distinctly off from the CGI Yoda from the prequels and the ESB/ROTJ puppet. Like the weakest of both.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

drunkill posted:

The central theme of the movie (if I can call it that) is defying audience expectations. It seems they took every classic adventure story trope and deliberately violated it. For instance, there is this planet battle that is deliberately reminiscent of Hoth, but instead of a great battle, Luke pulls off a magic trick to buy the good guys time to escape. In another case, Finn and Poe act as mavericks, and in a lesser movie they would have saved the day by doing things behind their superiors' backs, but here they instead gently caress things up more.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 13, 2017

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
From another scene, the end battle.

Bad idea Snoke, making Kylo take that mask off earlier in the flick. Driver is supposed to be in a rage but all I can hear is MATT. Watching that skit a few times, I was convinced it Driver deliberately parodying his own acting.

Spoiler: He wasn't parodying.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Luke Skywalker posted:

Now that they're extinct, the Jedi are romanticized...deified.

But if you strip away the myth and look at their deeds, the legacy of the Jedi...is failure. Hypocrisy, hubris.

This movie is going to loving own

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

aBagorn posted:

This movie is going to loving own

sorry i heard it was bad because it was funny?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Seriously, these spoilers are making me even more hyped for this movie. I can't loving wait.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Some fun haters ITT. The movie is good

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
My one point of contention for all the people pissed about snoke getting killed like a chump on the grounds that the books are hyping him up, as far as I am aware none of those things explicitly make that presence in the unknown regions out to be snoke. Sure, you can say it’s implied but even that is still technically filling in the gaps. Could still become a factor as whiny kylo looks for more power.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Knights of Ren not being in this probably just means Kylo’s gonna get the band back together in the next one now that he promoted himself after an opening in manangement was made available.

Like Vinny Chase’s pals on Entourage. Which one’s gonna be Turtle? Stay tuned!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
My mom asked me if "the black guy" is in the new Star War and I thought she meant Billy Dee but she was actually talking about Darth Vader.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

clown shoes posted:

My mom asked me if "the black guy" is in the new Star War and I thought she meant Billy Dee but she was actually talking about Darth Vader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VZj-85E5o

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Oh, all the stuff you did in the OT? Pointless

this is a really weird way to interpret poo poo that I see all the time and always confuses me

did you expect all that stuff they did in the OT to make every sentient species in the galaxy better forever, or abolish space fascism as a concept for good? did you think all the main characters would or deserved to die happily in bed at the age of 120 surrounded by friends and lovers in perfect tranquility? why?

one of the most important perspectives a piece of anti-authoritarian pop culture can offer in 2017 (since you said "what I expect from star wars in 2017") is that the real war, the final one, isn't over just because you won this or that battle, that you can't eradicate evil, greed, and tyranny forever by blowing up one moon base or throwing one guy down an elevator shaft, that you have to keep fighting forever and winning as much as you can over and over and keep the faith that someone will carry on after you're gone; it makes the heroism and sacrifice involved more meaningful

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Kylo Ren is yet another beautiful black visage revealed to be a pasty white man.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It's not that everything should be good forever(although Star Wars was totally fine as a finite story and it's not like sequels were needed), it's that the characters should have some meaningful place in the overall narrative if you're going to try and continue that story. Why do we need another three movies of "young nobody from a desert planet is mentored by monk who failed and goes on to overcome the evil Empire and found a new order of space monks"? In what way is that additive or deepening the story of this series of films? Again, it's not just that it doesn't do the old characters justice, it's also that the main character of the new films doesn't have her own arc and the setting of the story is pretty much the same as it was before. Wouldn't letting the old characters have their own victories and roles to play while giving the new characters something new to do make everything stronger, both old and new? Would you be okay with it if in ten years they do another trilogy where some kid from the desert has to find Rey in exile so she can teach this new kid to fight the "New Order"? I know that historically it's not like everything only ever happens once, but if this is supposed to be some "Epic Saga" why not actually have the successive generations of characters as part of new stories, rather than doing a slightly different version of the same basic thing?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Also this.^

wizard on a water slide posted:

this is a really weird way to interpret poo poo that I see all the time and always confuses me

did you expect all that stuff they did in the OT to make every sentient species in the galaxy better forever, or abolish space fascism as a concept for good? did you think all the main characters would or deserved to die happily in bed at the age of 120 surrounded by friends and lovers in perfect tranquility? why?

one of the most important perspectives a piece of anti-authoritarian pop culture can offer in 2017 (since you said "what I expect from star wars in 2017") is that the real war, the final one, isn't over just because you won this or that battle, that you can't eradicate evil, greed, and tyranny forever by blowing up one moon base or throwing one guy down an elevator shaft, that you have to keep fighting forever and winning as much as you can over and over and keep the faith that someone will carry on after you're gone; it makes the heroism and sacrifice involved more meaningful

I expected that Star Wars might be a little more optimistic. Although with Doug Jones' victory, it might be that the real world is going to be the place to find optimism and hope, and Star Wars full of bleak "nothing matters" nihilism because wouldn't that be a fitting twist to 2018.

That said, I don't think you're wrong per say, just that they really swung too hard in the wrong direction. Sure, I'm a child of divorce, but did they really have to make Han and Leia lovely parents that sent their kid to boarding school and break up when he turned into We Need to Talk About Kevin? Did they really need to wipe out the majority of the galactic republic in the first episode of the sequel trilogy? Like, what is the resistance even fighting for now? A bunch of asteroids? Desert and ice planets? What the hell does the first order even want to rule at this point?

poo poo seems pretty wack to me, in terms of scale and tone especially.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
And Luke, the Jedi master who saw the conflict in his father and helped him resolve it, with that experience wouldn't have any insight to help his nephew work through it instead of instinctively igniting his lightsaber to slay him?

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

wizard on a water slide posted:

I mean I can appreciate this sort of perspective but can you see the perspective that the way TFA resets the status quo almost entirely renders everything Lando, Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy, Threepio, R2, etc fought, killed and died for almost entirely moot? And how bizarrely cynical that is?

And then to have TLJ render almost everything about TFA moot is just another baffling :psyduck: move

Luke and co. from the OT, as of TFA don't have a single meaningful victory under their belts, and in fact seem to have aided in the further degradation of their galaxy

That sucks

Cheesus posted:

And Luke, the Jedi master who saw the conflict in his father and helped him resolve it, with that experience wouldn't have any insight to help his nephew work through it instead of instinctively igniting his lightsaber to slay him?

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

well we have to give the audience a cheer moment don't we oooh let's have a kid use the force on a broom too gently caress yeah this'll be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Jose Oquendo posted:

You put Rogue One at the #3 so I have no idea if your review/opinions have any any merit.

I like war films, I like the idea of stories in the star wars universe that don't focus around the Skywalker family. It was a flawed film, sure, but I loved it for the risks it took and the new things it introduced to what "Being a star wars film" is. Also, just because I have opinions you do not like does not mean they have no merit.

• Locked thread