Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

Is there a website/app similar to Beeradvocate for whiskey? I just want something I can log into and mark what I've tried and sometimes make notes on what I liked or disliked to remind myself what to buy next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

kidsafe posted:

BT is pre-bailout General Motors badge engineering Buffalo Trace, Weller, Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, Elmer T Lee, etc. from the same 4 recipes (rye, high rye, low rye, wheat.)

The trick is finding the single barrel picks of the 3 "base-models" (BT, Eagle Rare, OWA107) - they can sometimes be just as good as Pappy/BTAC

Flooger posted:

Is there a website/app similar to Beeradvocate for whiskey? I just want something I can log into and mark what I've tried and sometimes make notes on what I liked or disliked to remind myself what to buy next time.

One of my friends uses "Distiller" - I think this is what you're looking for

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone else have a flaviar sub? I joined on black friday mostly for the two free tasting boxes.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I think Drammit is like untapped for whiskey

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidsafe posted:

BT is pre-bailout General Motors badge engineering Buffalo Trace, Weller, Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, Elmer T Lee, etc. from the same 4 recipes (rye, high rye, low rye, wheat.)

Except rather than losing market share, they're stomping the competition. Their marketing people must be pretty thrilled.

Also, fwiw, they still do a wider variety of styles than most other distilleries with the exception of maybe Heaven Hill, especially when you consider the proof and age factors.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy whisk(e)y with Bitcoins? :D

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Bic Camera

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jamsta posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy whisk(e)y with Bitcoins? :D

Facebook secondary markets, probably. Note that this is illegal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yo I'm just selling a collectible bottle, contents unknown.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Picked up some of this on the way home from work.

The oldest age statement bourbon I've ever had and it shows. Pretty incredible. Oily texture. Banana and spices on the nose. Long leathery sawdusty finish. Had plenty of old scotches but the Virgin oak part of bourbon requirements I'm assuming is what makes this have both young and old whisky traits?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I've gone through a few bourbons over the last year or so, and what I like and don't like as much seems to have no logical pattern whatsoever?

Was happy drinking it:

Buffalo Trace
Bullett

Fine, I guess:

Jim Beam Black (best just dumped in some Coke)
Eagle Rare 10 year (I only liked this when I just made hot toddies with it)

Actively disappointed:

Four Roses Small Batch

Is there any kind of pattern here? It seems like there is no pattern here. I want to try something different but have no idea what to go for next because there seems to be no logic to my preferences?.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

So I've gone through a few bourbons over the last year or so, and what I like and don't like as much seems to have no logical pattern whatsoever?

Was happy drinking it:

Buffalo Trace
Bullett

Fine, I guess:

Actively disappointed:

Four Roses Small Batch

Is there any kind of pattern here? It seems like there is no pattern here. I want to try something different but have no idea what to go for next because there seems to be no logic to my preferences?.

try Elijah Craig next, it's the only distillery you haven't hit
Weird that you don't like Eagle Rare vs. Buffalo Trace and FRSB vs. Bulleit - they're essentially the higher end from those distilleries...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

try Elijah Craig next, it's the only distillery you haven't hit

Wild Turkey?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Weird that you don't like Eagle Rare vs. Buffalo Trace and FRSB vs. Bulleit - they're essentially the higher end from those distilleries...

The Eagle Rare I got was just real boring and wood tasting, but not in the good way like you want. Just like... lumber-y? The FRSB I got had a slightly off chemical flavor to it I couldn't put my finger on.

The Bulleit and BT just tasted like straightforward bourbons. I had them like 6 months apart so I can't compare them directly, but both met my expectations.

The Jim Beam just tasted like a slightly worse version of that kind of thing.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Wild Turkey?

Oh right, I missed that
Try that too

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

sean10mm posted:

Was happy drinking it:

Buffalo Trace
Bullett

Fine, I guess:

Actively disappointed:

Four Roses Small Batch

Strange that you didn't like Four Roses, it has a similar profile to Buffalo Trace. I can say that I like the Single Barrel much better than the Small Batch, but one thing you have to consider is that the smaller the batch size the more inconsistency you might find between bottles.

n-thing Wild Turkey 101, try it over ice if you find the proof too high to sip warm.

Woodford Reserve is real smooth, give that a go.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I wouldn’t define Four Roses as being similar to Buffalo Trace. BT is oakier/tannic, not as sweet, slightly peppery.

Four Roses is closer to Bulleit (made by Four Roses for Diageo)...it’s cloying, bready, full of rye spice, smells like nail polish. I’d take Four Rose Small Batch or Single Barrel over BT any day.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got married last month and since a lot of my friends know I drink (too much) whiskey I got a lot of it as gifts. Here are the nicer bottles I got:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof: Was not a huge fan at first, it just seemed like a hotter version of the same old EC. But man, a single ice cube and it is seriously awesome. I remember a really deep, sweet kind of brown sugary finish. Also some kind of berry/fruity notes. I don't take notes on these things so my terrible memory is the best I have to go on. Will definitely buy this one once this bottle is gone.

Stagg Jr: Pretty good, didn't think the flavor profile was quite as interesting or delicious as the ECBP though. Was told it was pretty rare here in my area, but my normal liquor store has like 5 bottles on their shelf. For $60 I don't think I'll be buying another bottle.

Pappy 10yr: I'm a little let down by this honestly. Maybe it's just because of unrealistic expectations, but it seems like just a really good solid bourbon. I've only had one glass of it though, so maybe I'll find more to like as I go the way I did with ECBP.

Blood Oath #3: This one I bought for my grooms men and it was amazing. I don't have much more to say about than that since I was already a little drunk by the time we started on the bottle. It was extremely smooth, not hot at all despite being nearly 100proof. I wonder if maybe it's like JW Blue where it's way overpriced for what it is, but it's so smooth and easy drinking that people will pay a premium for that. I'd like to try this again when I'm more sober and have time to think about it. Unfortunately the 3 of us finished it off that afternoon. No regrets :-)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Which batch of EC Barrel Proof did you get? B517 was whisky of the year on whiskey advocate.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ohhhh... Should have checked before I put the bottle out with our recycling this morning!

Edit: I have a crappy picture of it and it looks like b5xx, could be 517 if I squint, but I think I remember it being 4 digits. Hard to tell if it's 3 or 4 digits in the picture.

Edit2: Had my liquor store buddy resend me the picture, here it is. Honestly, looks like b517 here to me! Dang! Should not have shared so much and made it last a little longer!

https://imgur.com/a/wwlG3

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 14, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They have a couple bottles of Jefferson Ocean at the local liquor store ... anyone tried it?
https://jeffersonsbourbon.com/jeffersons-ocean/

quote:

This bourbon started out as an experiment with just three bourbon barrels on Trey’s friend, Chris Fischer of OCEARCH’s ship, in a curious effort to discover what would happen if bourbon was left to weather the extreme elements: temperature fluctuations, salt air and the gentle rocking of the ship. The result was a thick, dark bourbon that showcases complex flavors reminiscent of other spirits; the almost black color and caramel flavors resemble a dark rum as the sugars within the barrels caramelized; the briny, savory taste from the barrels breathing the sea air is reminiscent of Islay Scotch; and at its core, it’s a true bourbon. Due to a massive demand from consumers, Trey has now commercialized this experiment and sent hundreds of barrels around the world. Each voyage of Jefferson’s Ocean typically crosses the equator four times, visits five continents and over 30 ports on an average sailing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I ended up with a bottle of Woodford Reserve, and while I enjoyed it somewhat, it was a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Are there less sweet Whiskeys or Scotch that you'd recommend? Or just balanced sweetness with smokiness or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bourbons are sweet. You might like scotch better.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

So I ended up with a bottle of Woodford Reserve, and while I enjoyed it somewhat, it was a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Are there less sweet Whiskeys or Scotch that you'd recommend? Or just balanced sweetness with smokiness or something.

What do you like about the bourbon? if you like the pepperyness and floral aspects you might like rye. Find something with as high rye in the mash bill as you can, because it's probably the corn in the mash you dont like. Otherwise, scotch is great, it generally wont be as aggressive spicy and younger ones wont be as woody because they use used oak (usually bourbon barrels, too) where bourbon uses virgin oak but if you're looking for smokiness, islays are smoke bombs, balcones brimstone is a texas whisky smoked with oak and I loved it when I tried some, tasted like smokey espresso. If you want something balanced, Highland Park is the go to a-little-bit-of-everything scotch. I would stay away from sherry finished whiskies like balvenie, aberlour, or some of the macallans.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Speaking of mash bills, I've seen the Corsair quinoa whiskey a few times in the wild. Has anyone tried it before?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Finally tried Four Roses Small Batch and this may be my new go-to. Much smoother than Buffalo Trace and similarly-priced stuff I've had.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I went to a tasting to learn something about scotch, and I think it might have converted me. The problem is I'm not quite sure where to go next. In addition to the old stuff that I definitely can't afford, I really enjoyed Benromach Hermitage, but don't know what that means. Any recommendations for places to start?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Scotch has several regional variations. That one is a Speyside. Other Speyside whiskys will be at least somewhat similar, but of course unique in their own ways. There are lots of justifiably famous producers in that region - any of these would probably be a good place to start expanding your tasting.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I have a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean and it is disappointing, especially for the money.

Four Roses had so many different recipes that you can like one but hate another. See if your local liquor stores have any single barrel picks. One store near me always has one to offer (they all have names like Johnny Cash or Oh My). Some are outstanding, others ok. I like the Al Young version and I have a 2017 limited edition to dive into soon, so I'm looking forward to cracking that open. Four Roses is pretty versatile, you just have to find a recipe you like.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Gravitee posted:

I have a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean and it is disappointing, especially for the money.

Ok. The story makes for a good gimmick though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Does Jeffersons no longer make their Straight Rye offering? I recall it was basically Whistlepig with a lower alcohol percentage for a far lower price.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

slothzilla posted:

I went to a tasting to learn something about scotch, and I think it might have converted me. The problem is I'm not quite sure where to go next. In addition to the old stuff that I definitely can't afford, I really enjoyed Benromach Hermitage, but don't know what that means. Any recommendations for places to start?

When you drank the Benromach Hermitage what was it that you liked about it? Did the person(s) hosting the tasting talk about it being finished in wine casks and the effect on nose and taste that this has? If you think that the wine cask added flavours and aromas that you liked, look at getting other wine cask finished whiskies.

BenRiach did a very good 16 y/o finished in Sauternes barrels that I really liked, but that has been discontinued and replaced with a 15 y/o. Very sweet tasting.
https://www.benriachdistillery.co.uk/our-whiskies/sauternes-finish-aged-15-years/
Also I've recently had an Auchentoshan Blood Oak (Red Wine cask finished) which had an amazing orangey taste quite unlike anything else I've had.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/auchentoshan/auchentoshan-blood-oak-whisky/
Bunnahabhain also have released a wine (also Red Wine) finished whisky called Eirigh na Greine. Reviews are pretty mixed but I like it and have 2 bottles.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bunnahabhain/bunnahabhain-eirigh-na-greine-whisky/

There are others of course, Bruichladdich probably have at least a dozen wine cask releases, but I have had all 3 of those above and like them.

EDIT: If those are too pricy, then as it's on the run up to Christmas there's plenty of stuff on offer. I was shopping earlier and here in the UK you can pick up 3 bottles of passable single malt for £60-65 right now. Aberlour 10, Talisker Skye and Auchentoshan American Oak were all £20 each, those 3 would give you a nice selection of styles.

biglads fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 15, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Does Jeffersons no longer make their Straight Rye offering? I recall it was basically Whistlepig with a lower alcohol percentage for a far lower price.

I have about half a bottle of this offering from a few years ago. It was my favorite "affordable" rye at the time. I, too, haven't seen it on a shelf in forever. Reached out to Jeffersons last week about it. Here's their response.

:gonk:

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations Jo3sh and biglads; that will give me some places to start when I head back to the whisky store.

We did talk a fair amount about barrels. It was a Gordon & MacPhail testing and I'm pretty sure barrels were their rep's favorite topic. He seemed to know his stuff, but the tasting didn't include a general overview for a scotch newbie, so I have some general research to do (drink).

I'm trying to convince my wife that decent scotch is, on a per-drink-basis, cheaper than wine.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have about half a bottle of this offering from a few years ago. It was my favorite "affordable" rye at the time. I, too, haven't seen it on a shelf in forever. Reached out to Jeffersons last week about it. Here's their response.

:gonk:

Well drat. Loved the stuff.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

slothzilla posted:

Thanks for the recommendations Jo3sh and biglads; that will give me some places to start when I head back to the whisky store.

We did talk a fair amount about barrels. It was a Gordon & MacPhail testing and I'm pretty sure barrels were their rep's favorite topic. He seemed to know his stuff, but the tasting didn't include a general overview for a scotch newbie, so I have some general research to do (drink).

I'm trying to convince my wife that decent scotch is, on a per-drink-basis, cheaper than wine.

Gordon & MacPhail have one of the best whisky ranges in the world so you should have had a very good tasting. The importance of barrels can't really be overstated as it is a huge component in the flavour of the whisky.

If you are just getting into whisky there's loads of interesting things to try and compare. Levels of peating, American oak against European oak barrels, differing age expressions etc etc.
If you find other stuff you like, post about it and people here will offer ideas for other similar stuff you could try.

EDIT : Don't discount blended scotch. A lot is mediocre but there are some good ones out there at a reasonable price. I can recommend Islay Mist and Black Bull 12 and there's quite a lot of love for the Great King Street Artist Blend from Compass Box.

biglads fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 15, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Got to taste some Bushmills 21 Year Old and um that's some seriously tasty stuff...

Aaaand I just saw the price per bottle and :signings:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Looking for a whisky to get my BiL for xmas. He prefers to drink with rocks, so I'm leaning towards a cask strength thing. Maybe Booker's or High West American Prairie? Any other recs? specifically something I can get from K&L and delivered to the bay area.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i usually end up letting the ice melt a bit before enjoying burbon rye. is that sacrilegious in general? or does it just depend on the quality / type of whiskey one is drinking?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CoolHandMat posted:

i usually end up letting the ice melt a bit before enjoying burbon rye. is that sacrilegious in general? or does it just depend on the quality / type of whiskey one is drinking?
I'd say the latter is 100% defensible. I drink most bourbon neat but some 120 proofs are just plain better with an ice cube or two. Case-by-case for your taste and experience.

I can understand purists who don't want to water down or overly chill anything but I'd say the line stops at watering down/chilling everything as a rule. At least try things neat in case you're inadvertently ruining them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rule Zero is that a person can drink their whiskey however they drat well please.

My personal rule of thumb is to try it neat first, and if I don't like that then to try adding a bit of water and/or ice, or make an Old Fashioned out of it.

If it's still bad then just dump it into coke/ginger ale.

If it can somehow ruin soda then it's just poo poo.