Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mrchinchin25 posted:

Over 900 pages of this thread I've just skipped. Did I just miss the ELE?

You're on the ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

Why are you glad about the tragic fate of a backer's family

The inheritance can be used to fund development you see

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

MinorInconvenience posted:

And it's a drat shame, but I agree with others who have pointed out that this lawsuit is GREAT for Chris Roberts. He can use it as an excuse to close up shop and claim that he didn't fail as a developer; instead, big bad CryTek killed his dream because they were greedy. It's the perfect cover for his ego--letting him walk away without accepting blame for promising to make an impossible game.
Chris is going to get his chance to roll in the mud. Two weeks etc.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Wait... THAT'S FROM TODAY!
:laffo:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

this also means that the faceware camera might completely be stalled, as the underlying technology was shared with them without CryTeks approval

quote:

On August 26, 2017, news reports announced a partnership between Defendants and a third party developer, Faceware Technologies. Upon information and belief, as a result of the partnership, Faceware received access to the underlying technology for CryEngine (including computer source code). Defendants did not disclose this third party developer's involvement to Crytek, let alone obtain Crytek's prior written approval. This was entirely in breach of the GLA.

My reaction to discovering FoIP may not make it into the game: :magical:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

CIG will have to make a public statement about this little issue, won't they? After all, why would any current backers, and any possible new backers, want to buy new jpgs if there's a significant chance now that's all they will get?

No, they can't. Commenting publicly about an active lawsuit is the worst thing they could do. But then again, this is CIG. So. :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

WarpDogs posted:

Nearly a year ago today they put out a presser on their switch to Lumberyard. It came out on like December 23rd, and I remember thinking how insane it was that anyone would post news on the week of Christmas, especially news of an engine switch

I think this lawsuit is going to make a lot of strange moves of the last few years make sense, or at least give context for them

I initially thought they did it because of Star Marine, and that they had done some kind of conjoined twin thing where just Star Marine was running on Lumberyard. Like, leave everything else the same, and put Star Marine on Lumberyard just so they could shove it out the door.

When's the last time anyone has talked about Star Marine? :lol:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
are their any lawfirms that charge by the jpg? I wouldn't count CIG out just yet...!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

Gonna want to go ahead and pull that particular one from Youtube, Crabbler.

also lol yeah I'm sure I'm the biggest problem the subreddit has today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.forbes.com/2009/01/23/skadden-merger-takeover-business-cx_df_0123skadden.html#2b10bc387f09

quote:

All that money flows from a simple business model: Skadden specializes in advising companies when they are merging, being taken apart or face a mortal threat from regulators, competitors or other lawyers.
Mmm mmm mmm!

I guess you could say this is the ELE. Two more letters to go!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I doubt Skadden cares about getting Ortwin disqualified, because there's no way they're afraid to go up against a non-litigator in court. Plus he lacks the staff to defend against a firm like Skadden, so they were hiring an outside firm anyway.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

mrchinchin25 posted:

Over 900 pages of this thread I've just skipped. Did I just miss the ELE?

You're walking in it right now. Check your shoes.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

alphabettitouretti posted:

Did they think that "switching" to LY was going to relieve them of their obligations to CryTek?

This was obvious from the start but it got lost in the never ending stream of CIG gently caress ups.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Hav posted:

Opposing counsel can move on it and the Judge would like agree, but we're a ways off that stuff.

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

Just getting warmed up.

Thanks!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

No, they can't. Commenting publicly about an active lawsuit is the worst thing they could do. But then again, this is CIG. So. :colbert:

The classic double call.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
[quote="“XK”" post="“479315792”"]
You’re walking in it right now. Check your shoes.
[/quote]

I see some shoes, some mud and a belt.
Oh wait I'm on the toilet!

Amazing times ahead!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

who wants to go drinking in LA with me when they shut down the CIG office in santa monica lol

I'm in, as long as we can use mocap suits

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AngusPodgorny posted:

I doubt Skadden cares about getting Ortwin disqualified, because there's no way they're afraid to go up against a non-litigator in court. Plus he lacks the staff to defend against a firm like Skadden, so they were hiring an outside firm anyway.

It doesn't matter; the naming is the thing that nullifies it from happening, and becomes the 'you step back, we don't do anything'. There are specific reasons for naming the _co-founders_ in the document rather than just referring to the 'Defendants'; one is the entity named, the other are people with privileged information about the entity.

Skadden is a hell of a choice, though. A straight up copyright/license heist would come out of any old LA law firm; this is what tells me that Crytek is loading for bear.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Hahaha, I cannot believe they're still putting up Bugsmasher videos and implicating themselves further, that is genuinely ridiculous.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

D_Smart posted:

Ah, Ok, that makes sense. So in any upcoming videos or public presentations Croberts and crew have to be like the dog in the burning room and act like nothing terrible is going on behind the scenes LMAO.

Just now literally walked through my place, envisioning this scenario, and laughed uncontrollably about it.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 13, 2017

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

D_Smart posted:

The Federal govt takes their time. That's how people end up in jail.

So I'm also here to eat my helping of crow. Didn't think we'd see any legal stuff ever against CIG. I was wrong.

Now, back to thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Was uploaded minutes ago.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

who wants to go drinking in LA with me when they shut down the CIG office in santa monica lol

I might actually come down to piss on the ashes.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Kevin Costner 2: CryTek Edition

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I hope Hans Zimmer composes the score for the ELE.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

D_Smart posted:

They can't afford to settle because of what CryTek is claiming they are due. It's in the millions. They could have settled rather than risk this PR nightmare. But they can't. So here we are.

But can they afford not to settle ? If they don't then they don't have the rights to Cryengine at all, period. So they'd be forced to switch to LY. Not a slow gradual step by step upgrade, but an instant switch. There's no way they can even do that without removing access to the game from all backers during the transition period, which could take up months..

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

samfreez saying that poo poo about Amazon coming to the rescue is just raw desperation.

I'm on the r/starcitizen discord and there isn't a single mention about this but I'm not dropping cover to do it.

They're not allowed to discuss it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This will be the first court case where we have to pay for jpegs from the courtroom artist.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Wow this is a brutal takedown
Please read the suit if you haven't done so, it's a pure goldmine

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I was reading up on the Silicon Knights stuff from years back and it's so interesting how many similarities there are

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/why-silicon-knights-vs-epic-games-is-probably-over/1100-4839/

Like CIG, SK downplayed their use of the engine, going so far as to say only 2% of its codebase was made up of Unreal.

Like CIG, SK removed copyright notices and replaced it with their own language and terms to make it appear they owned it

Like CIG, SK was caught red handed thanks to their sloppy code - in SK's case, they copy/pasted so much from Unreal that they included comments with grammatical errors from the source, thus proving beyond all doubt the code was not theirs

and maybe like CIG, no one thought SK had the funds to handle the settlement. and they didn't. they went bankrupt

One thing we should all be prepared for is a multi-year conclusion to the drama. It took 5-7 years from start to finish

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Right. This is fairly common. It's the punitive damages you want to watch out for. They can get scary.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Hav posted:

It doesn't matter; the naming is the thing that nullifies it from happening, and becomes the 'you step back, we don't do anything'. There are specific reasons for naming the _co-founders_ in the document rather than just referring to the 'Defendants'; one is the entity named, the other are people with privileged information about the entity.

Skadden is a hell of a choice, though. A straight up copyright/license heist would come out of any old LA law firm; this is what tells me that Crytek is loading for bear.
Yeah, there's things like attorney-client privilege and apex depositions in play, but analyzing that all is too much like work.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hav posted:

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

Crytek, lots of contract breach, want all the marbles.

its unseemly how i laughed when i read this

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 13, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Still about ten pages behind and have to leave soon to see Star Wars, but goddamn Derek, you loving called it. If I could send you a fried pineapple pizza - Clifford-style - I'd absolutely do it, but there's an ocean in between

Hat's off!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational ELE

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ahahaha, they're breaking out the big guns- Idris pictures! Digital action figures!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

They'd still have all the concept art, so that's like 60% of everything safe.

The same concept art that is the collateral for the Couts loan ?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

gently caress that belongs us says cryengine
no says CR it belongs to Me
It belongs to me says the backers
that is why I built coutis

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

Moreover, the suit itself alleges that CIG halted use of CryTek engine in 2016 (star engine in play), yet they want to lay claim to a breach when engaging Faceware in 2017. They also allege breach for SQ42, yet LumberYard is used for its development.

But any code that they put into Lumberyard from their "StarEngine" is Crytek's property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.