Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fartbox posted:

Frank will have found a new wife with kids and then they get shot again, thus starting season two of punisher: MAXIMUM REVENGEANCE

I unironically kind of want this to happen now and have Frank do DOUBLE REVENGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bernthal is easily the best Netflix lead, much as I like Mike Colter. And looking at Bernthal's stature and physical build, you'd never think to choose him over some 80s Steven Seagal beefcake.

Bernthal captures elements of Frank Castle that I've never even thought existed. Yes, he's good in an action scene. The way he ROARS and grunts is gratifying and deeply upsetting.

But notice how good he is when he's with Micro's family. Frank is a hollowed out shell, but Bernthal gives special care to those sparks of humanity that flicker ever so faintly.
----
Charlie Cox isn't an outstanding actor, but he gives a great performance as Murdock. He finds the three trifecta's of Murdock's personality immediately - charm, assholery, and guilt.

Kristen Ritter is good stuff too, and I'm most curious to see her take on season two. She did a good job of exploring Jessica's trauma, but next season will hopefully call on her to show a few different notes.

Colter probably has the toughest task since Luke Cage is such a morally upright kinda dull dude. He's okay I guess, more than able to carry his weight but not quite good enough to carry Luke Cage through its weaker moments.

Finn Jones, bless his heart.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Bernthal is easily the best Netflix lead, much as I like Mike Colter. And looking at Bernthal's stature and physical build, you'd never think to choose him over some 80s Steven Seagal beefcake.

Bernthal captures elements of Frank Castle that I've never even thought existed. Yes, he's good in an action scene. The way he ROARS and grunts is gratifying and deeply upsetting.

But notice how good he is when he's with Micro's family. Frank is a hollowed out shell, but Bernthal gives special care to those sparks of humanity that flicker ever so faintly.
----
Charlie Cox isn't an outstanding actor, but he gives a great performance as Murdock. He finds the three trifecta's of Murdock's personality immediately - charm, assholery, and guilt.

Kristen Ritter is good stuff too, and I'm most curious to see her take on season two. She did a good job of exploring Jessica's trauma, but next season will hopefully call on her to show a few different notes.

Colter probably has the toughest task since Luke Cage is such a morally upright kinda dull dude. He's okay I guess, more than able to carry his weight but not quite good enough to carry Luke Cage through its weaker moments.

Finn Jones, bless his heart.

Netflix Luke Cage is Superman boring, but with lots of premarital sex.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bernthal is a real steal, because an actor he should be bigger than he already is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Bernthal owned as the Punisher

I thought he outshined the other lead in The Walking Dead as well and he was the most interesting thing about Daredevil S2 as well. It's cool that he finally got a successful show where he can do his thing

Can't wait for more TORMENTED SCREAMS OF RAGE in s2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrXdFY0nMo

i found him to be incredibly, insanely annoying in Walking Dead. he played just the most one-dimensional character there.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

That's because the writers were intent on making him the enemy. He did well with the material he had

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My only nitpick, unless there was a throwaway line I missed somewhere, was how Micro's family didn't recognize Frank, especially after he shaved. Wasn't he the biggest story in the news with his face plastered all over front pages during DD season 2?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

My only nitpick, unless there was a throwaway line I missed somewhere, was how Micro's family didn't recognize Frank, especially after he shaved. Wasn't he the biggest story in the news with his face plastered all over front pages during DD season 2?

All 10 of the top 10 most wanted people in America could pass me on the street tomorrow and I wouldn't have a clue.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm hoping to see more crossover with Frank, Fisk and Matt moving forward.

Castle has an obvious reason to gently caress with and seek revenge on Wilson so I can see the tenuous partnership between he and Matt being built upon since Fisk seems to have pieced together DD's identity. I think, too, that introducing Bullseye as a sniper that shares part of Frank's background would be another logical step forward and make the character easier to introduce and weave in. Maybe make him part of Frank's special ops unit that Kingpin hires as an assassin.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WampaLord posted:

All 10 of the top 10 most wanted people in America could pass me on the street tomorrow and I wouldn't have a clue.

Also there's a solid chance that between Frank becoming a fugitive and the events of Punisher season 1, seventeen alien invasions were thwarted.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I ain't seen punisher, but season 2 should probably just show that he got addicted to killing

Or fight the kingpin, that's a good idea too

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I think my favorite scene of the series was probably the "I am home." one. It was really intense, like holy gently caress. Especially when he gets close to dying again, and there's just...nothing there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Teek posted:

Punisher was just renewed for season 2 by Netflix. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

I hope this one really goes all in on The Punisher and his war on crime. You can do a lot with that, can play around with the premise bring in other elements, but at least I'd like to see the character run with the premise of the character, and see what happens. The first season to me felt very formulaic, by the book modern TV writing. A revolving door of cutting to two characters moving the plot in workmanlike fashion, not really letting Frank be the focus a lot of the time, vacuous speeches by the rising villain etc. I liked a lot of it, but it did not deliver for me overall. It felt like a so-so season of Dexter, especially with the Micro's wife subplot, talking to her kid etc.

Honestly, to go further with the roasting, this Punisher series could've been on TNT in 2002, maybe back to back with the Witchblade series. It's maybe one notch above Renegade and the Highlander TV series. Gruff likable guy wearing black wanders around, sometimes does tough guy things. Anyways, hope the next one is more unique and more Punisher. I know most in here liked it way more than I did, I can dig that, was underwhelming for me though. I did love DD seasons 1 and 2 and Jessica Jones though.

On a side tangent, this reminds me of what I read one of the Better Call Saul writers say, that they loath having him actually become Saul. Writing an antihero or a character who is just not doing the usual stuff, I can see why they want to avoid it. But I'd like a series about scummy lawyer for criminals Saul, and I'd like a series about The Punisher at large, going about his war on crime, keeping a bit busier than he did in this season. And just not keeping so much to the standard beats and tropes of every other show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know it’s been said already but I can’t stress how good that end fight was when Frank grated pretty boys face against the mirror. It’s almost a work of art in how painful it seemed to be.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm hoping to see more crossover with Frank, Fisk and Matt moving forward.

Castle has an obvious reason to gently caress with and seek revenge on Wilson so I can see the tenuous partnership between he and Matt being built upon since Fisk seems to have pieced together DD's identity. I think, too, that introducing Bullseye as a sniper that shares part of Frank's background would be another logical step forward and make the character easier to introduce and weave in. Maybe make him part of Frank's special ops unit that Kingpin hires as an assassin.

But didnt Fisk release Frank from jail? So he sorta owes him one

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That did happen but I'm pretty sure Fisk's impression of Frank is that he's too unstable to employ, like he certainly could take Micro and the Liebermans hostage but even that carries the risk of Frank deciding to choke Fisk with his own intestines or whatever

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Im pretty sure Fisk owed Castle after sending 8 guys to murder him after Castle killed the old prison crime boss at Fisk's behest.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
To be fair Frank would realize that Fisk is the source of all problems and betrayals.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That was to kill a guy they both wanted dead.

Frank said "OK, I know you're just using me but I'll do it. I'll kill you later."

Kingpin basically said "good. I'd like to see you try.:smugjones:"

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Heavy Metal posted:

Honestly, to go further with the roasting, this Punisher series could've been on TNT in 2002, maybe back to back with the Witchblade series. It's maybe one notch above Renegade and the Highlander TV series.

Are you trying to say that the Highlander TV series wasn't bitchin' as hell? With this theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8lpCQbyw

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HIJK posted:

To be fair Frank would realize that Fisk is was the source of all problems and betrayals.

FTFY.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Are you trying to say that the Highlander TV series wasn't bitchin' as hell? With this theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8lpCQbyw

When you're right you're right, that song is awesome. Punisher has one of these premium cable theme songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GikVQXvf0

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I stopped watching DD season one about halfway through. I don't recall exactly why, but probably just because it wasn't grabbing my interest.

Yet everyone raves about it. I'm curious, what about that show was so great for you all?

PS: I did watch all of DD2 :downs:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

I'll take a wild guess that you're probably not making out with them in your kitchen though.

Invalid Validation posted:

I know it’s been said already but I can’t stress how good that end fight was when Frank grated pretty boys face against the mirror. It’s almost a work of art in how painful it seemed to be.
Ben Barnes screaming was what made that scene. I don't think I've ever heard a more painful scream in a show or film before.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You guys say Frank was already a mess even before the war and his family being killed gave him PTSD, but I still can't remember anything. He wasn't the Ned Flanders perfect neighbor or a flawless father but I haven't been able to notice anything really mess up so far.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Did someone here say he is a mess before the war? Is that a comic book thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

You guys say Frank was already a mess even before the war and his family being killed gave him PTSD, but I still can't remember anything. He wasn't the Ned Flanders perfect neighbor or a flawless father but I haven't been able to notice anything really mess up so far.

He was an assassin and war criminal. That’s pretty hosed up.

Edit: Oh, before the war. I was thinking before the hit on him.

I don’t think we even really see scenes of him before the war?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He was an assassin and war criminal. That’s pretty hosed up.

Edit: Oh, before the war. I was thinking before the hit on him.

I don’t think we even really see scenes of him before the war?

No. We see him in (unreliable)flash-backs of him on leave before he goes back to join the Black Ops Goon Squad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Galvanik posted:

I stopped watching DD season one about halfway through. I don't recall exactly why, but probably just because it wasn't grabbing my interest.

Yet everyone raves about it. I'm curious, what about that show was so great for you all?

PS: I did watch all of DD2 :downs:

DDs1 is just a very tight, well written show with great action/fight scenes. While most Netflix series drag on, it just stumbled a little bit in the final episode (yeah, the suit at the end of the season is not great). And it set the tone that for the Netflix MCU, the villains are just as much part of the story as the heroes.

Also I long for the days when Madame Gao was a distinct force and with her own organization rather than being a double secret Hand splinter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

Did someone here say he is a mess before the war? Is that a comic book thing?

I went looking through the thread and now I can't find any post that said that so I guess I just misread something. :shrug: Never mind that post then.

edit: I wish that, after Frank disarmed that bomb, we got to follow Curtis' recovery.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

He mentions that he was a troubled kid/teenager himself when he talks about micros son. I think that's the only thing we get told about his pre-soldier life.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Galvanik posted:

The acting, the action scenes, the plot, most of the direction, the characterization and (for the most part) the pacing were very good. Cox, Vondie Curtis Hall and D'Onofrio were superb.

Other than those things it sucked

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Atreiden posted:

He mentions that he was a troubled kid/teenager himself when he talks about micros son. I think that's the only thing we get told about his pre-soldier life.

I don't even know if that's true or not, considering he was genuinely trying to get Zach to open up before he started to lose it with the knife.

I'm weird, that one kinda struck me as one of those DARE or anti drug things in school assemblies up to that point and I was kinda looking at it in a 'eh I don't know if I believe that or not' kinda way but I felt like the anti-gun senator wasn't being a poo poo? Like yeah, he wants less crazy people with guns, and didn't rise to the challenge like a video game protagonist when someone dropped in and tried to kill him.

Oh never mind, as I type this out I realize the issue is how he lied about what happened, but I do like how you can tell that it's fake based on how Lewis threw in a canister of tear gas and he just kinda stops being affected by it 13 seconds afterwards.

BiggerBoat posted:

The acting, the action scenes, the plot, most of the direction, the characterization and (for the most part) the pacing were very good. Cox, Vondie Curtis Hall and D'Onofrio were superb.

Other than those things it sucked

It was also a nice surprise, since I certainly wasn't familiar with DareDevil at all before this. I know he's popular but I can't say I knew about him beyond blind crimefighter who's so messed up that he can't be mind controlled on account of how complicated shutting things down so his ears don't get blown out from someone ringing their bike bell two blocks away is.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The guy who wants less guns on the streets is a coward, hypocrite and a liar who threw a woman at the bad guys to save himself lol

The show takes one side pretty clearly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zzulu posted:

The guy who wants less guns on the streets is a coward, hypocrite and a liar who threw a woman at the bad guys to save himself lol

Yes. Clearly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zzulu posted:

:shrug: All I got out of that scene is that that guy's not a hero. He's not gonna be someone trying to get everyone out of a burning building, he won't be trying to throw a brick at someone the hero's fighting with as a distraction, etc.

Basically, 'Okay, that guy sucks' but I don't really feel like that means every anti gun politician in this show is poo poo. Just like how I don't feel like they were pushing a message of 'Every veteran is a terrorist waiting to happen' just because Lewis went crazy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He's an exponential strawman of a strawman. There are literally zero "anti-gun" politicians because this is America and you won't get into office being anti-gun.

It's a boogieman the NRA made up. When anyone says "hey maybe we shouldn't let documented psychotics own assault rifles," they're part of this imaginary "anti-gun movement," a slippery slope ending with grabbing your great grandpa's musket so the ZOG Illuminati Deep State can trample all your freedoms.

It'd be like depicting Reagan's "welfare queens" as actual villains, or any other politically expedient bullshit stereotype as a character.

Like, it's fun to mine crazy ideas for plot elements. The Crazies used Chemtrails to great effect. But framing a social issue as a debate between "guns are awesome" and "no, and also I am a pathetic clown" is disingenuous at best.

I think Lewis had been more into mass shootings than bombings it would have been better parity.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 14, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

moths posted:

He's an exponential strawman of a strawman. There are literally zero "anti-gun" politicians because this is America and you won't get into office being anti-gun.

It's a boogieman the NRA made up. When anyone says "hey maybe we shouldn't let documented psychotics own assault rifles," they're part of this imaginary "anti-gun movement," a slippery slope ending with grabbing your great grandpa's musket so the ZOG Illuminati Deep State can trample all your freedoms.

It'd be like depicting Reagan's "welfare queens" as actual villains, or any other politically expedient bullshit stereotype as a character.

Like, it's fun to mine crazy ideas for plot elements. The Crazies used Chemtrails to great effect. But framing a social issue as a debate between "guns are awesome" and "no, and also I am a pathetic clown" is disingenuous at best.

I think Lewis had been more into mass shootings than bombings it would have been better parity.

Military leadership and government security agencies’ leadership in this show are all absolutely evil. Does that make it better?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's kind of entirely unrelated to the gun issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guys, why are there such unrealistic caricatures in my comic book show?