Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A loot game focused solely on a reward feedback loop from direct gameplay without any MTX whatsoever sticks out like a lighthouse in the dark, Capcom has got to be aware of this for sure. All they need to do is release the game and not have any of their producers make silly gaffes or anything.

And of course, get that PC version out asap. Capcom knows their PC games sell well, they are consistently on Steam top sellers at launch and during sales, so I think they will try to get it done before summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not just releasing on a thing people own and a good window and everything, but the kind of let's say 'deliberateness' of monster hunter gameplay is not nearly as foreign to people now as it used to be, even if they just equate it to Souls or whatever.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey I love all the Souls games + Nioh. Is this kind of thing my jam? People say it's like Souls stuff but with more of a craft-y thing going on, which sounds good tbh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snak posted:

A huge number of people do not play handhelds AT ALL.

There’s also people like me who do play handhelds but pointedly avoided Monster Hunter because they thought it was ill suited to a small screen/handheld controls.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Saint Freak posted:

Not just releasing on a thing people own and a good window and everything, but the kind of let's say 'deliberateness' of monster hunter gameplay is not nearly as foreign to people now as it used to be, even if they just equate it to Souls or whatever.

Impermanent posted:

hey I love all the Souls games + Nioh. Is this kind of thing my jam? People say it's like Souls stuff but with more of a craft-y thing going on, which sounds good tbh.

lol goddamn it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

To answer your question, Yes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Souls-style games actually ruined it for me a bit. In between the world demo and the last time I played monster hunter (~10 years), I put extensive time into every souls game, bloodborne, and nioh; and the inability to change the direction of a combo between swings as well as the length of time after a swing before you can do anything again drove me insane in the demo. It is not easy to get used to and it felt like starting the series for the first time all over again. There's comparisons to be made between dark souls and monster hunter but in practice I don't think they are similar at all.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It is like Dark Souls in that you have to learn the patterns of an seemingly unpredictable opponent while your controls are stiff and you have to commit to an attack animation that can take like 4 seconds to execute.

It rules.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Digirat posted:

Souls-style games actually ruined it for me a bit. In between the world demo and the last time I played monster hunter (~10 years), I put extensive time into every souls game, bloodborne, and nioh; and the inability to change the direction of a combo between swings as well as the length of time after a swing before you can do anything again drove me insane in the demo. It is not easy to get used to and it felt like starting the series for the first time all over again. There's comparisons to be made between dark souls and monster hunter but in practice I don't think they are similar at all.

That's different between all the weapons. Can interest you in some dual swords?

Both series have what I call "deliberate" combat. Dark Souls is more twitch based. MH is waiting for big openings and dropping a combo. You can play more twitch based and cancel out of things, but you need specific weapons for that. Dual swords/ Sword and Shield/I think Insect Glaive, but I didn't play with that this demo.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SettingSun posted:

It is like Dark Souls in that you have to learn the patterns of an seemingly unpredictable opponent while your controls are stiff and you have to commit to an attack animation that can take like 4 seconds to execute.

It rules.

Though beyond this I'd say MonHun is more different than similar to Souls games. Combat is way more in-depth and flashy, bosses are an order of magnitude more complex than any Souls boss, progression is skill and gear based instead of skill and stat based. MonHun is mission based, instead exploring a connected overworld. Most importantly, the tone is way more light-hearted and goofy compared to Souls' "the world is going to poo poo and everybody's sad" all the time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Though beyond this I'd say MonHun is more different than similar to Souls games. Combat is way more in-depth and flashy, bosses are an order of magnitude more complex than any Souls boss, progression is skill and gear based instead of skill and stat based. MonHun is mission based, instead exploring a connected overworld. Most importantly, the tone is way more light-hearted and goofy compared to Souls' "the world is going to poo poo and everybody's sad" all the time.

idk I'd argue that the stat levelling in Souls is pretty meaningless. It's definitely primarily skill + finding a moveset you like. But I get what you're saying otherwise. Sounds like I'll like it!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what I noticed from the world beta is that your attacks are way more deliberate and it's a lot easier to commit to an attack going in the wrong direction than it is in a souls game. also no hyper armor and the dodge feels like dark souls 2 with low adaptability

like there are some similarities if you just look at the surface and you can make some comparisons, but the games don't actually play anything alike at all in practice

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

idk I'd argue that the stat levelling in Souls is pretty meaningless. It's definitely primarily skill + finding a moveset you like. But I get what you're saying otherwise. Sounds like I'll like it!

Its meaningful. But each individual level doesn't feel like it. If you go back to a starting area in a Souls you will be godly, its just such an incremental advance you don't get to feel better going from 50 strength to 51.

In MHW I'm interested to see how it works. It was a meaningful progression before to complete a armor set, but now with the new perks/no threshold, I wonder how it will feel to make even one piece.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 13, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Impermanent posted:

Weapons require stat investments to use, some heavily so, so stats ARE a limiting factor for what build you want. Monster Hunter is different in that the only requirement to use any weapon is the materials to craft it, though certain armors favor certain weapon types.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

what I noticed from the world beta is that your attacks are way more deliberate and it's a lot easier to commit to an attack going in the wrong direction than it is in a souls game. also no hyper armor and the dodge feels like dark souls 2 with low adaptability

Dodging relies mostly on knowing the enemy. If you have a monster's behaviour down pat, you can run circles around it for ten minutes while being basically untouchable. There's very, very few things you can't dodge through.

Here's a demonstration from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXn1JvFvu2c&t=13s

IIRC the dodge windows got slightly more lenient in the following games, and there's the armor skills that make your invincibility window even larger.

Yes, you can see the dude dodge-roll through a monster's AoE shout. In fact, he's all up in the monster's face constantly, and is never even in danger.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I was dodge rolling through the fire breathe instinctually in the Demo, :feelsgood: other attacks got me, but you just get a feel for the timing and your weapons windows when you can dodge.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh btw, for the veterans: In the video above, he even dodges a Plesioth hip check.

Yeah. Let that sink it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

That's different between all the weapons. Can interest you in some dual swords?

Both series have what I call "deliberate" combat. Dark Souls is more twitch based. MH is waiting for big openings and dropping a combo. You can play more twitch based and cancel out of things, but you need specific weapons for that. Dual swords/ Sword and Shield/I think Insect Glaive, but I didn't play with that this demo.

Can dual swords turn during a combo? That's what really gets me. I tried the insect glaive for the first time and liked it except for the fact that there's no way to change direction while its combos strongly carry it forward, which meant if I ever slid past the monster I'd have to just stop the combo entirely unlike every other game I've ever played where you can just turn during or between swings. I think I don't remember this much because I mained the switch axe in tri, which has no combos that carry it forward and therefore less need to turn

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Dodging relies mostly on knowing the enemy. If you have a monster's behaviour down pat, you can run circles around it for ten minutes while being basically untouchable. There's very, very few things you can't dodge through.

this is still true in dark souls 2 with low adaptability. world's roll very clearly has less iframes than, say, the dash in bloodborne tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, with evasion, basically: i-frames are immediately at the beginning of the animation and there are armor skills that are basically like pumping ADP really high in Dark Souls II? So you'd want to dodge at the last possible second, I'm guessing?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
IIRC it's not immediately when you press the button, but just after you do the little duck before you roll off.
Take a good look at the slowed-down dodges at 1:22 (tail swipe) and 1:50 (roar) in the evasion video. Keep in mind that these are the really strict 2 frames out of 30 dodges from MHFU, and later games adopted a standard of 4/30 i think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/941070065113251840

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Digirat posted:

Can dual swords turn during a combo? That's what really gets me. I tried the insect glaive for the first time and liked it except for the fact that there's no way to change direction while its combos strongly carry it forward, which meant if I ever slid past the monster I'd have to just stop the combo entirely unlike every other game I've ever played where you can just turn during or between swings. I think I don't remember this much because I mained the switch axe in tri, which has no combos that carry it forward and therefore less need to turn

This is just a staple of the game. It's all part of the notion of playing deliberate. It is the single most difficult 'feature' for audiences to get a hold of, but it is also likely the single most important design philosophy that sort of makes Monster Hunter, and it pervades almost everything, although much less so in World. Things like flexing after drinking potions I'm sure you're familiar with from Tri. The whole idea is that the player is discouraged from acting on a whim, but instead acts intentionally, such that while failures may be frequent, especially early on, your successes are your own.

The trick then is to figure out what combos control your position. Bug stick has some moves that will move it forward, but also some that will move it backwards. It tends to have a bit of a sawing motion to it's combo. SnS by comparison (used) to have a perfectly stationary combo, although no infinite, had very little recovery time. SA is pretty good in this capacity. It has some moves that carry it forward. Now has some that carry it backward. But also has combos that allow it to simply remain stationary.

So you kinda have to figure out your movesets, which are far more complex than then 1-2 combos found in Souls (although not all that complex, all things considered). Game is built more like a fighter. Each attack has some sort of utility, but given their rigidity, you will tend to be punished for using them haphazardly. Know your moveset and you can sometimes link attacks to correct position. I believe CB has the best mid-combo angle correction, but only during some attacks (shield thrust). Probably another reason it is a fan favorite.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, when I first watched weapons move videos, it would say like , this combo ends with 1 step back. And you think....ok so? Then after you play a bunch you are hopping out of a attack range and coming back with a huge smash.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

HenryEx posted:

Oh btw, for the veterans: In the video above, he even dodges a Plesioth hip check.

Yeah. Let that sink it.

Plesioth hip check isn't that bad. Sure it is huge and the hitbox is invisible but it is also very shallow. Plesioth is my favourite fight to evade lance in FU simply because the hipcheck is fun to dance through. I find his tail spin to be wonkier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the idea of combos being useful for positioning is important because you can't just freeaim during combos. It encourages using the right combo for each situation rather than the "best" combo in every situation.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Harrow posted:

So, with evasion, basically: i-frames are immediately at the beginning of the animation and there are armor skills that are basically like pumping ADP really high in Dark Souls II? So you'd want to dodge at the last possible second, I'm guessing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukcQ_p5qY4o

I used to have better videos but my Japanese sucks and the guy I used to follow got shy and deleted everything. This is basically what good evasion looks like. You can do what he is doing without the skills but it is much harder. Also it must be noted that in FU, the evasion+ skills did not give as much as they do now, so it is a lot easier now to do this.

Also the music is anime junk, so mute it if you find it annoying.

E: Basically you dodge right before it hits you. Tail swings are the universal jump rope to learn the timing. Not every attack can be dodged cause it has too many active frames, like a full charge.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 14, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
So, I was gonna take the 26th off because of the release but as it turns out, public holiday so I don't even need to.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Intoluene posted:

So, I was gonna take the 26th off because of the release but as it turns out, public holiday so I don't even need to.

I'm definitely taking the 26th off from work. So bloody excited it's insane. This beta was amazing, and only served to get me even more pumped for the release. The updates to the Insect glaive mean that I'm actually likely to use the thing now. Charge Blade changes are amazing as well, I'll be using my ultimate so many god drat times now, and pissing off so many people as they get launched away!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will be a milquetoast filler player who joins the game with a sword and shield and sort of exists, pressing an attack button near a monster from time to time

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Digirat posted:

To specifically answer your question, both DS and SnS have specific moves that give you complete 360 degree reorientation. It's a big selling point of the two weapons in World (they are new moves).

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'm sad the beta is over and now I can't even play XX because it feels like a huge downgrade, RIP

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I can still play XX, because brave GS is still fantastic

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I can go back to my 4U copy I finally started last year. I've stalled out after beating the first Seregios hunt and need to upgrade my armor from the Velocidrome+ set.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo An oldie.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

I will be a milquetoast filler player who joins the game with a sword and shield and sort of exists, pressing an attack button near a monster from time to time

I wouldn't mind a sword buddy who spent time actually setting up traps and whatnot.

But you should learn the hunting horn. People will love you every time you jump in. Even if you just stand in the corner and :toot:

It's also not complicated at all.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I was coming here to post this. It's an important video for people in the thread that are new to Monster Hunter.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Digirat posted:

insect glaive conveniently has a backflip that you can do in the middle of a combo just for that occasion. even does damage

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I had some hitboxporn GOTCHA BITCH moments like that over the course of the test. The tunes sounded all familiar but I could not place them.
e: no at least one was Contra on the Gen/MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
How good is the Charge Axe/Blade this time around? I loved it in MHX, but it really seemed like there was one combo loop (red charged spin spin, into a single charge super hit) that was worthwhile. Everything else was getting the CB up to the red charge. Have they made more options for it this time around?