Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

More Dynamis, more sweet COR stuff.

Sorry about everyone else, I guess.

The +2/3 smn relic hands dont even beat nq bayaami for +skill, so far smn relic looks like garbage and doesnt look like it will get anything useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

rdm is kinda nice, +30 to gain spells? That's a nice macro piece. The boots were rear end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Was it a straight 30? Wasn't sure if it was 30 or just a percentage.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The boots were rear end.

Ummm... RDM relic boots are ridiculously good though? Best in slot for Magic Acc for Enfeebling, MND Enfeebles, and has some of the very rare Enfeebling Potency stat. Probably also really good for Free Nukes due to that +55 MAB, barring some perfect Oseem augmented Merlinic.

If COR boots weren't the hottest poo poo in town, RDM were probably the runner-up for getting the best piece of gear out of Dyna-Sandy

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Ummm... RDM relic boots are ridiculously good though? Best in slot for Magic Acc for Enfeebling, MND Enfeebles, and has some of the very rare Enfeebling Potency stat. Probably also really good for Free Nukes due to that +55 MAB, barring some perfect Oseem augmented Merlinic.

If COR boots weren't the hottest poo poo in town, RDM were probably the runner-up for getting the best piece of gear out of Dyna-Sandy

I was apparently not looking at the right piece of gear. Vitiation boots +3 look fan loving tastic. RDM relic is getting a serious boost.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hmmm did I post in this thread already? I can't remember. Anyway I did download the game a while ago but it kinda fell by the wayside until today, when I bought an XBox controller. Turns out the game is MUCH better with that than Mouse/Keyboard. I hit level 11 punching bugs and poo poo and I have no idea what I'm doing

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Is there any reason to grind low level gear or should I just grind to max level before I do anything? I was trying to get Leapin Lizzie to spawn so I could farm bounding boots but gave up

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Verbose posted:

Is there any reason to grind low level gear or should I just grind to max level before I do anything? I was trying to get Leapin Lizzie to spawn so I could farm bounding boots but gave up

Nope. I leveled several jobs 1-99 naked or just equipment from a sparks vendor.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Yeah, the only gear you really want* while leveling is a decent weapon, and that's only if if you're on a job that hits things. Grab a Sparks weapon ever 10 levels or so and like, a moogle costume or something.

*if you have the chocobo shirt/hat available(which you should), wear them all the time. They're stylish and wildly overpowered below level 30.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

for anyone coming into the game again: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/38211/ffxi-update-patch if you pick these up and install them it saves like 10 hours of patching.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 17, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone have this month's Intense ambuscade strat figured out? I've seen the usual "pets can do it" suggestion, but I've seen a bunch of other setups with mixed results. Any tips?

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Started back up because I make poor life choices. If anyone with a sack sees a big silly galka guy named Obsidianorange, I'd appreciate a pearl please. Thanks in advance!

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
Same gonna transfer since nobody I know is on my server anymore. I had some other questions but forgot them

Edit: so I have 21, 900 hobbit of gobbiebox points. Will I get phat loots if I finally cash them in or is that totally worthless. I remember screenshots of people getting r/e/m weapons outta them.

How much time/gil/currency farming am I looking at to get a relic 75 at least

taels fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 23, 2017

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

taels posted:

Same gonna transfer since nobody I know is on my server anymore. I had some other questions but forgot them

Edit: so I have 21, 900 hobbit of gobbiebox points. Will I get phat loots if I finally cash them in or is that totally worthless. I remember screenshots of people getting r/e/m weapons outta them.

How much time/gil/currency farming am I looking at to get a relic 75 at least

You can probably 119 it for what, 75m at today's prices?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You can probably 119 it for what, 75m at today's prices?
Probably closer to 100, but still dirt cheap.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

i am enjoying the game enough to say i want to give a poo poo about max level content. i'm still leveling, but it's going at a good pace since a friend is helping me with it. after doing some research, it seems like playing at top end involves a lot of gear swapping and carrying extra pieces for niche purposes. it sounded bad to me until i realized you can swap gear in combat (and even mid-cast) and it's usually done with macros.

i'm mostly just wondering what jobs are considered easy to break into max level content with? it seems like DDs are expected to have RMEA weapons, so that sounds outside of my means currently. i don't particularly want to tank. support or healing jobs are fine to me, i'm happy playing any role as long as i can get groups. i'll basically be rockin' spark gear at best since i'm a new player.

e: geo seems pretty newbie gear friendly?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 25, 2017

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

GEO is a good entry level job to start off with. Get proper JSE gear and job points until you break 900 total skill and you're good.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
There's no way to get Goblin Stew 880 right now is there? I bought two upgrades worth of gobblebag stuff off the ah but it's already getting cost prohibitive

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Verbose posted:

There's no way to get Goblin Stew 880 right now is there? I bought two upgrades worth of gobblebag stuff off the ah but it's already getting cost prohibitive

i researched this very thing last night and determined there is not. maybe on next month's login campaign? that's what i'm holding out for since i'm fresh enough to not be feeling the squeeze yet.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

I'm wondering if there's any point to leveling synthing or just keep selling acheron shields for gil and buying the stuff, it doesn't look like the stew has been available for a few years now

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They have a mog garden event here and there where you can buy the stew for 100k each. As a log in item, they mail it in for login events so don't count on that.

Crafting isn't worth it unless you go for the ultimate poopsock item.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

They have a mog garden event here and there where you can buy the stew for 100k each. As a log in item, they mail it in for login events so don't count on that.

Crafting isn't worth it unless you go for the ultimate poopsock item.

....which is?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The new crafting "relic" that lets you craft the Superior 3 stuff and gives you just enough extra skill to push you over into the next synth tier if you have all the extra bonuses and crafting items too. It's also probably the most expensive thing to make in the game by a wide margin and probably up there as some of the most expensive things to make in any video game ever.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Enjoy spending a month of your life on it, basically.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

hey friends, i've bought most of the things i want from this month's login campaign (a mount, some trusts, the patio). are there any things i should be dumping my points into now? the rest of the poo poo in the 550+ category seems like things for my level 99 career. i plan on maining geo, so picking up some of the Akvan Pennons is probably worth it, yeah?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i’m a masochist so all my login points go to beastmen seals for running the kraken club BCNM. and they’re half off right now!!

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

so did I miss out on Shantotto II trust forever?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Verbose posted:

so did I miss out on Shantotto II trust forever?

no. she appears to have been in November's login campaign. she returns a few times a year. i'm hoping she comes back soon.

e: is there a goon ffxi discord? i'm not on asura but it'd be nice to have people to talk to/ask questions other than just in the thread.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 1, 2018

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Started a character on Asura a few days ago, hit 99 yesterday. Is there anyone I can bug for a pearl? Will be on for a few hours. In game name is Chadsworth.

Right now I'm stuck on the RoE Intermediate quest step that has you kill a Wildskeeper Reive pokemon boss. Do people still regularly kill those?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

is there a goon ffxi discord?

I can't think of a more special kind of hell

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I can't think of a more special kind of hell

goon moba discords

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

amusinginquiry posted:

Right now I'm stuck on the RoE Intermediate quest step that has you kill a Wildskeeper Reive pokemon boss. Do people still regularly kill those?

Yeah, but the biggest issue is you're going to have to rank up a few times to be able to get access to the items you need for entry into the fights. I think the wildskeeper campaigns may remove that restriction, but unless they did away with that entirely in the past year or so it's kind of a lovely hurdle.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Yeah, I saw some shouts for WKR and got excited and went to buy the key items, then realized that. How salty were people with that mission design on original Adoulin release?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

amusinginquiry posted:

Yeah, I saw some shouts for WKR and got excited and went to buy the key items, then realized that. How salty were people with that mission design on original Adoulin release?
It used to be a lot worse. S-E kinda got stupid on WKR's becaise they really made it cheap to do if you got through most of SoA, but that doesn't apply to a lot of people.

Yamfries
Sep 8, 2008
How often will I be asked to heal as a SCH? I've been soloing all the story stuff as a DNC and I've had a lot of fun soloing skillchains so SCH is pretty attractive for that. But I've been healing in mmos for about 7 years now and I'm pretty burned out on that aspect. I certainly don't mind buffing stuff, though. Maybe I should give SMN a real try?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Yamfries posted:

How often will I be asked to heal as a SCH? I've been soloing all the story stuff as a DNC and I've had a lot of fun soloing skillchains so SCH is pretty attractive for that. But I've been healing in mmos for about 7 years now and I'm pretty burned out on that aspect. I certainly don't mind buffing stuff, though. Maybe I should give SMN a real try?

SCHs are mainly for doing ranged skillchains without building TP or getting hosed by aoes. In CP parties, you may be asked to do healing duties if people can't find a healer, but it'll mostly be bursting and skillchaining for fighting NM or events. You may just aoe a Regen spell on people occasionally.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Wow these limit break quests are awful, at least with trusts. Guess I'm buying a lot of prism powder

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Verbose posted:

Wow these limit break quests are awful, at least with trusts. Guess I'm buying a lot of prism powder

thankfully there's a lot of EXTREMELY EASY ones too, only a few of them are poo poo. prism powder and silent oil are your best friends.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Really it's just the part where I have to run around Davoi to open that barrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Verbose posted:

Really it's just the part where I have to run around Davoi to open that barrier

What a coincidence, I just helped Tsuru do that one and I think it might have been the single worst thing in the game. gently caress Davoi.