Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

chitoryu12 posted:

As someone who's never worked with electricity before, what's the best resource (outside of going to a trade school) for learning about the subject and how to work with electrical equipment safely?

In your house, the black and decker complete guide to home wiring is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just remember this one simple safety tip: Always keep it grounded!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mozi posted:

I love this because you can really see the thought process that had to happen for this to come into being. Good effort, guy. Gold star for effort.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volcott posted:

So, what's wrong with that dude's electric, for the uninitiated?

Rather than find the cause, he tried to mask the issue by replacing 15A/20A breakers with 50A breakers for house circuits. He's gonna start afire because of the weirdness with the power fluctuating depending on what's plugged in or turned on. And that probably means his neutral is hosed because he messed something up at the box.

He needs to get a real electrician in ASAP before the house burns down at best and someone dies at worst.

Bozart posted:

In your house, the black and decker complete guide to home wiring is pretty good.

This is a fantastic book for DIY stuff. I was given this as a housewarming gift and it definitely made me less scared of doing minor electrical work like putting in 3-way switches or dimmers and replacing lighting fixtures.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

chitoryu12 posted:

As someone who's never worked with electricity before, what's the best resource (outside of going to a trade school) for learning about the subject and how to work with electrical equipment safely?

I mean ideally you'd start with super low voltage DC stuff (12V and under) when learning about electricity, but there's several lifetimes worth of stuff to know, so if you are interested in a specific thing you can skip to it. What do you want to be working with, house wiring?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Did someone post the video yet of the worker in china walking out of some flaming building? It's pretty :nws: and extremely :nms:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splode posted:

I mean ideally you'd start with super low voltage DC stuff (12V and under) when learning about electricity, but there's several lifetimes worth of stuff to know, so if you are interested in a specific thing you can skip to it. What do you want to be working with, house wiring?

I have managed to set a kit set robot on fire that had a 12V or was it AA? So not completely safe.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mozi posted:

lol

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I have managed to set a kit set robot on fire that had a 12V or was it AA? So not completely safe.

Impressive!
You can absolutely burn down your house with a Chinese 3D printer or extremely poorly designed Arduino Thing but geez you have to gently caress up pretty badly. Still safer than higher voltage: a life threatening mistake at mains voltage is usually a small pop and a feeling of embarrassment at 5v.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

chitoryu12 posted:

1. Disconnect completely

Check if the circuit is hot with an appropriate device. I like starting work while the circuit is hot because it's a check for my equipment correctly detecting power. Then disconnect the power supply, be it a breaker or a plug or whatever.

2. Secure against re-connection

For commercial work there are thingies that can block a breaker with a lock. I usually tell people to not touch any breaker until I say so. It really depends on the situation.

3. Verify that the installation is dead

Take the same equipment used in step 1 and measure again. Don't change anything while measuring. If you were on a ladder in step 1, be on the ladder again for this one.

Step 4 and 5 are about things with higher voltages than 110/230V. Don't work on those yourself. If you are unsure about a voltage, ask someone! Don't measure it yourself. I don't even know how you would have access to a line with a kV or something, but you don't want to use a cheap multi-meter rated for 230V on those.

1-3 have to be followed EVERY time. Then you are working safely. Of course, this requires the knowledge about the live connections the device has.
If it's a desk-lamp with a plug, sure, you are able to completely disconnect it. If it's a clamping point (? thing where multiple wires run together) you have to check every ingoing/outgoing line.

Start working with 12V stuff like someone said before or use one of the multiple free simulators for electrical connections online to learn how to make things work the way you like. Then read up on how which wire type needs to be connected. Some people are astonished when they hear about end sleeves for flexible cable.

Then either do some work you are 100% comfortable with and pay an electrician to check it for you before taking it live, or work with one together.

I'm not sure how it is in the USA, but probably you are not insured if you do something that burns a house down. But changing out a socket or reconnecting light switches should be doable in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh, and after so much talking I remembered this thread, which will help you with any questions:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Remember steps 1-3. They are not optional. I'm counting 4 times where I got shocked by 230V because I didn't follow them and after each one I knew i was pretty lucky. Under the right circumstances, a contact of 50 milliseconds can kill you. Never forget that and you're good :)

oohhboy posted:

1.5V is enough for a fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbwQ3zuOJw0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Splode posted:

I'm doing some interactive theatre in 2019 that's going to require custom setups of stuff (like a simple motor inside a fake generator shell and a computer control system that causes the motor to rumble and lights to turn on when the generator is "fueled and turned on", or a fake CB radio that plays an audio recording for an actor to play along with when certain actions are performed to make it active), and to cut down on costs I want to try and do as much purchasing and building myself instead of contracting people. One of the reasons I'm not doing it until 2019 is so I can actually spend time learning how to work with this stuff.

I need to start from the absolute beginning, like I know what "tripping a breaker" means in the sense of what occurs, but I don't actually know what a breaker physically is or how it gets tripped.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
chitoryu12, the DYI forum have a couple of threads about learning these kinds of skills, how to do it safely-ish and chill people to ask.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977 - Learning Electronics is a good resource for learning the basics of push-button-and-lights-turn-on to way more complicated things.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739 - DYI Electrics is more in-home wires and switches.

All the principles of electricity are the (almost) same from 5V learning stuff with lights and batteries to the DYI house stuff, so learning (and breaking) stuff at low voltages translates directly to more dangerous voltages.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The arduino thread will also be great for learning low voltage doodads handling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Wait for it...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What was that? What was the point of that?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Looks like he's trying to use a sudden burst of pressurized air to clear out a blocked drain, it doesn't work.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That went better than I expected. I thought for sure it would rocket out and land on the car or something.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

`Nemesis posted:

Looks like he's trying to use a sudden burst of pressurized air to clear out a blocked drain, it doesn't work.

Sure it does. There’s less water in the drain now!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
shoulda used some duct tape to make sure it stayed in place

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Looking forward to seeing you in the threads!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm doing some interactive theatre in 2019 that's going to require custom setups of stuff (like a simple motor inside a fake generator shell and a computer control system that causes the motor to rumble and lights to turn on when the generator is "fueled and turned on", or a fake CB radio that plays an audio recording for an actor to play along with when certain actions are performed to make it active), and to cut down on costs I want to try and do as much purchasing and building myself instead of contracting people. One of the reasons I'm not doing it until 2019 is so I can actually spend time learning how to work with this stuff.

I need to start from the absolute beginning, like I know what "tripping a breaker" means in the sense of what occurs, but I don't actually know what a breaker physically is or how it gets tripped.

Arduino thread will be great for you with this much sensor / controls stuff but it might get deeper into resistors/capacitors/voltage levels than you really need to. Learn the basics and then plan to build your project with industrial 24V DC components, it'll all Just Work and also be durable enough to survive contact with the public.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Please don't do any wiring in your own homes, just don't. I don't know if it's different in the good ol' "Land of the Free" but it's illegal in Australia for good reasons

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Now I'm worried about my parent's house where when starting the vacuum cleaner the lights flicker for a second. Is that normal or did I grow up in a death trap?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's better than the lights getting brighter when you plug in the vacuum, I'm pretty sure.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3xcj-pTjg

"nobody sells a drone that can lift a human so we built one"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CampingCarl posted:

Now I'm worried about my parent's house where when starting the vacuum cleaner the lights flicker for a second. Is that normal or did I grow up in a death trap?

That's fairly normal. It's just caused by the (relatively) high amp draw you get when the motor starts up for a few seconds. You'll also see the same thing when the compressor on your A/C system starts up. Also known as Locked Rotor Amps.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I was going to mention that if you have a Fluke Volt-Alert (one of these little AC voltage detectors) and it goes off about eight inches away from the conductor, then it's probably 4160 volts. Not sure how far it is with 14kV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJBHP8qOfgc

This is why I don't like having/using pistol-grip OPEN/CLOSE switches on the front doors of medium-voltage switchgear (I think the sign there says 6kV).

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 14, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm in a rural village in India for a wedding and am fascinated by the videographer's lighting setup. The camera has an extremely hot and bright halogen lamp clamped on top. Instead of a battery, he's got a twisted pair of 14ga wires coming out of the lamp and wrapped around his body, maybe 6 feet long, with a mains plug on the end. That is plugged into some sort of homebrew female mains jack where you can see the exposed connectors and it dangles in front of his groin. The female connector is attached to another fifty feet or so of 14ga twisted wires that snake in and out of the house, through puddles, etc, and when I followed them to the end I discovered that the wires' bare ends stuck directly into a 220v wall socket. Neato.

Also there is a railing here with Christmas lights (well, not Christmas ones per see, but you know what I mean) wired onto it with baling wire and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is live because I touched it and got shocked.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I'm in a rural village in India for a wedding and am fascinated by the videographer's lighting setup. The camera has an extremely hot and bright halogen lamp clamped on top. Instead of a battery, he's got a twisted pair of 14ga wires coming out of the lamp and wrapped around his body, maybe 6 feet long, with a mains plug on the end. That is plugged into some sort of homebrew female mains jack where you can see the exposed connectors and it dangles in front of his groin. The female connector is attached to another fifty feet or so of 14ga twisted wires that snake in and out of the house, through puddles, etc, and when I followed them to the end I discovered that the wires' bare ends stuck directly into a 220v wall socket. Neato.

Also there is a railing here with Christmas lights (well, not Christmas ones per see, but you know what I mean) wired onto it with baling wire and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is live because I touched it and got shocked.

It's nice to see that India is attempting to do something about its overpopulation problem.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I'm more fascinated that you have internet in a rural village in India.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, two things about that

1) India is technologically sophisticated, so there's mobile internet access everywhere. Everyone has a smartphone and you can get a SIM card with 28GB of data per month for like 6 dollars. It was a bit of a challenge getting that working with my phone but once it's up, it's fine. Nothing says that you can't have a smartphone while also wrapping yourself in ungrounded electrical cables.

2) "village" is relative. The country has over a billion people, so this village and surrounding area is home to about 80,000.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dave Grool posted:

I'm honestly surprised we don't hear more stories like this. I guess random Russian teenagers dying doesn't make international news though

Why would the news report something that happens every day?

That's like Merican news reporting every shooting that happens every day, every hour every min-

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I went on a "poverty safari" of Dharavi, the giant slum in Mumbai that was the background for Slumdog Millionaire. I was really surprised; I naively figured it would be full of beggars but of course there's not much point begging in a place where everyone's poor. Anyway it's OSHA as gently caress, power lines strung every which way, bare wires, open sewers, horrible toxic particulates in the air from all the plastic recycling shops where they grind plastic into pellets.

And there were cell-towers eeeverywhere. Our guide said "They say you need 3 things to live. Food, water, and internet."

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Why beg a few people a day when you can beg thousands online an hour!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sagebrush posted:

1) India is technologically sophisticated, so there's mobile internet access everywhere. Everyone has a smartphone and you can get a SIM card with 28GB of data per month for like 6 dollars. It was a bit of a challenge getting that working with my phone but once it's up, it's fine. Nothing says that you can't have a smartphone while also wrapping yourself in ungrounded electrical cables.

Crazy. Maybe they should put some of the cell phone cash into plumbing infrastructure.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChesterJT posted:

Crazy. Maybe they should put some of the cell phone cash into plumbing infrastructure.

The problem is many older countries may have newer plumbing tech to the home, but ultimately it's connected to some ancient quasi-aqueduct poo poo as the backbone under the city, which just wasn't made for toilet paper, tampons, and our futuristic 21st century megadumps.

Hell, even London had to rebuild huge portions of their sewer system because it was so old and couldn't cope.

Banana Republican
Jul 12, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The problem is many older countries may have newer plumbing tech to the home, but ultimately it's connected to some ancient quasi-aqueduct poo poo as the backbone under the city, which just wasn't made for toilet paper, tampons, and our futuristic 21st century megadumps.

Hell, even London had to rebuild huge portions of their sewer system because it was so old and couldn't cope.

What sort of magical utopia do you live in where you can flush tampons and do you have jetpacks?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Banana Republican posted:

What sort of magical utopia do you live in where you can flush tampons and do you have jetpacks?

I mean, technically nowhere, but you know them shits is gettin' flushed on the reg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
EDIT: drat forums.