Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yojimbo-Sale/page/17017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just buy it all

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Another big DC sale there too. is Wonder Woman Earth 1 any good? Those usually aren't but I mean, Morrison

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Retro Futurist posted:

Another big DC sale there too. is Wonder Woman Earth 1 any good? Those usually aren't but I mean, Morrison

No.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:( Grant, no
Oh well, I've already spent way too much on the sales this last month anyways

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Give it $5. Best Candy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 6, 2017

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

It's got its flaws, but overall I liked it and thought it was an interesting take on Golden Age Wonder Woman.

Plus, like Teenage Fansub said, Etta owns.

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Does DC have something like Marvel Unlimited or the comixology one?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent posted:

Does DC have something like Marvel Unlimited or the comixology one?

People from DC have said at cons that they've talked about it but it's not something they're seriously considering at the moment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I read somewhere their royalties setup is super complicated and it's not gonna work too easily.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

I read somewhere their royalties setup is super complicated and it's not gonna work too easily.

DC has a creator equity sharing scheme where they give royalties to the creators of certain characters in other media or in comics that use their characters. DC can be pretty petty about it sometimes, for instance some characters can be deemed derivative, like Power Girl, and the royalties go to the creator(s) of the original character, Supergirl or Superman, in this case Otto Binder and Al Plastino or Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. It can be arbitrary at times and it seems like whoever has a good relationship with DC editorial gets a good deal while others get hosed on technicalities, like with Power Girl. It's somewhere between Image, creator owned, and Marvel, company owned.

I can imagine with digital subscriptions it would get messy pretty quickly.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 7, 2017

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

gently caress.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've talked about Hoopla before, a service many public libraries provide where you can temporarily download e-books (including a ton of graphic novels and single-issue comics) and even stream movies. It's a fantastic free service, and everyone should investigate to see if your library offers it.

For the longest time, they have included every major publisher except Marvel, but as of last night, 61 Marvel titles finally showed up in it. It's kind of a random assortment of old and new stuff, but they add new titles every week, so it pays to keep checking.

My smaller local public library system only allows us four Hoopla checkouts per month, but a friend elsewhere in the state gets nine checkouts through his library. It causes me to be very discriminating in what I choose, but Hoopla allows you to keep a list of favorites, so you can always add titles to your list to check out later. Their DC, Image, and Dark Horse selections are pretty great, and they also added Fantagraphics recently, with lots of Love and Rockets and the first two volumes of Hip Hop Family Tree. Definitely check it out... but you don't have to take my word for it!

(Their movie selection isn't the best, but it's where I finally got to see The Long Goodbye, which I loved. Don't use Hoopla to read single-issue comics or TV shows, since one comic or one episode of a show count toward your monthly checkout limit.)

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've talked about Hoopla before, a service many public libraries provide where you can temporarily download e-books (including a ton of graphic novels and single-issue comics) and even stream movies. It's a fantastic free service, and everyone should investigate to see if your library offers it.

For the longest time, they have included every major publisher except Marvel, but as of last night, 61 Marvel titles finally showed up in it. It's kind of a random assortment of old and new stuff, but they add new titles every week, so it pays to keep checking.

My smaller local public library system only allows us four Hoopla checkouts per month, but a friend elsewhere in the state gets nine checkouts through his library. It causes me to be very discriminating in what I choose, but Hoopla allows you to keep a list of favorites, so you can always add titles to your list to check out later. Their DC, Image, and Dark Horse selections are pretty great, and they also added Fantagraphics recently, with lots of Love and Rockets and the first two volumes of Hip Hop Family Tree. Definitely check it out... but you don't have to take my word for it!

(Their movie selection isn't the best, but it's where I finally got to see The Long Goodbye, which I loved. Don't use Hoopla to read single-issue comics or TV shows, since one comic or one episode of a show count toward your monthly checkout limit.)

I've got to find out what some of my local library systems support. My local local one does ComicsPlus, which doesn't seem super great. Not that I'm in any position to complain with a ton of unread stuff on Comixology and from Humble Bundle.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My smaller local public library system only allows us four Hoopla checkouts per month, but a friend elsewhere in the state gets nine checkouts through his library.

Wow. I just checked and my library allows 20 checkouts a month. Huh.

Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

the guy from Semisonic posted:

Wow. I just checked and my library allows 20 checkouts a month. Huh.

Thanks!

drat, nice! Go to town.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Still mad my library system dropped hoopla support

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fantagraphics sale.
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=21287&lang=1

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
A Sandman and bits of Vertigo sale on Comixology.

Are any of the sandman presents books good?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Giant Star Wars sale over on Comixology. I'm thinking of picking up all four volumes of their Vader series along with "Vader Down," which I've heard good things about.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'll second that Vader idea

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Giant Star Wars sale over on Comixology. I'm thinking of picking up all four volumes of their Vader series along with "Vader Down," which I've heard good things about.

Always recommend the Knights of the Old Republic series, from Legends.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darth Vader is very good. I'd also suggest Doctor Aphra if it's in the sale.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

First volume is. Also, holy moly, the Star wars manga is in there

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

From the current Marvel comics I'd recommend:

Shattered Empire
Han Solo
Obi-Wan & Anakin
Lando
Kanan
Darth Vader followed by Doctor Aphra

The main ongoing is fun, but not the best of the bunch.

From Legends:

A War With The Empire Omnibus
Clone Wars Omnibus
X-Wing Rogue Squadron Omnibus
Knights of the Old Republic Omnibus
Legacy
Star Wars Tales

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't all the Legends stuff on Marvel Unlimited now?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hup posted:

First volume is. Also, holy moly, the Star wars manga is in there

WHOA, SCOOPING UP ALL OF THAT NOW

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Most of it was when I had it. That's where I read through Star Wars Tales and like all of the old Marvel Star Wars up to maybe 1/2 way between Empire and ROTJ.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Yes

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Heads up: Amazon is running a kindle sale, too, and it is even cheaper. Remember, kindle syncs up with comiXology

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gbps_i...398%5Bb%7Cdeals

E: today only, and not everything is there (but the manga is, haha)
E2: not all of the manga, weirdly. Missing two volumes of return of the Jedi and phantom menace (but who cares)

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 15, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Roth posted:

From the current Marvel comics I'd recommend:

Shattered Empire
Han Solo
Obi-Wan & Anakin
Lando
Kanan
Darth Vader followed by Doctor Aphra

The main ongoing is fun, but not the best of the bunch.

From Legends:

A War With The Empire Omnibus
Clone Wars Omnibus
X-Wing Rogue Squadron Omnibus
Knights of the Old Republic Omnibus
Legacy
Star Wars Tales

Is Legacy good? There are two, right? I got the second one with the girl Solo because the first one looked funny.

Princess Leia is also great.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, the Darth Vader book is the best of the new stuff that I've read. The main Star Wars book can be fun but is less interesting overall. People don't seem to like the Leia mini as much as the others but I liked the more stylised art and thought it was really cool to see Leia being proactive and actiony of her own accord.

The Journey to The Last Jedi bundle seems pretty good. Shattered Empire, the three volumes of Poe Dameron that are currently out, the Captain Phasma mini, and the adaptations of Rogue One and IV-VII for :10bux: seems cheap.

This Legends one on the other hand is kind of weird in how it's repeating content. The Thrawn Trilogy, but then Heir to the Empire by itself. The Infinities Epic Collection book which includes The Star Wars, then The Star Wars by itself. The Old Republic Epic Collection and KotOR Omnibus which seem to collect the same material. There's still a loooot of pages there for the money even ignoring those double ups, it's just kinda funny to see it padded out or whatever like that??

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wow the Star Wars Manga bundle was 9.99

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With the Disney/Fox thing, it's probably a good idea to swipe up the Aliens/Preditor vs DC stuff right now before they're pulled, isn't it?
I wish I knew when the sales where on :/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If I remember correctly, Dark Horse's contract with Lucasfilm was expiring a little bit after the Disney buyout anyway. They claimed that they weren't looking to renew it anyway. Who knows how much time is left on Dark Horse's Fox deal.

So probably buy what you can now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Comixology going buck wild with their sales again.
How many consecutive "mountains of pages for cheap" sales does this make for DC within two months? Are they amassing capital before unveiling DC Unlimited? "Now that you've bought all our events and trades, here they are for a monthly fee."

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
DC is stealing from me again. Mods!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was gonna go "Who cares we just had the BOGO sale" but there's brand new stuff. Trades that've come out since that sale like the Challengers of the Unknown collection. Bloody Hell.

Here's the link. I like links.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Holiday-Sale/page/17102