Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Elephanthead posted:

8-8 forever Phins Up!

Print the shirts!

Except that we don't need to print any more 8-8 shirts we have them still in stock from the rest of the decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They were already drafting like 10th, and now are like 13th. No one's sucking rear end enough to get into the top 6 this year.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Meh I’m happy seeing genuine development from young guys like Drake, Howard, Phillips and Grant.

Parker showed even when we’re rolling he just isn’t going to shine. Parker’s gone likely after 2018.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

i see the Dolphins are doing their annual late season heroics thing to gently caress up their draft position

They weren't doing badly enough to be worth tanking, they should feel pretty good about that win and i think they're technically alive for the playoffs. They're not trying to draft a QB so there's no need for extreme tanking, better to develop the players you have and hope next year is the year Brady dies.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

evilweasel posted:

They weren't doing badly enough to be worth tanking, they should feel pretty good about that win and i think they're technically alive for the playoffs. They're not trying to draft a QB so there's no need for extreme tanking, better to develop the players you have and hope next year is the year Brady dies.

Now I am really bummed New England couldn't find a way to keep Jimmy G so that the AFC East was tormented by the Patriots for another decade.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

Meh I’m happy seeing genuine development from young guys like Drake, Howard, Phillips and Grant.

Parker showed even when we’re rolling he just isn’t going to shine. Parker’s gone likely after 2018.

Just so long as they pay Landry.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Now I am really bummed New England couldn't find a way to keep Jimmy G so that the AFC East was tormented by the Patriots for another decade.

I can't even pretend that I believe in Hoyer, even as a joke.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Brady and Belichick are going to walk away from the Patriots like it's an explosion in an action movie, and I'm completely okay with that.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Brady and Belichick are going to walk away from the Patriots like it's an explosion in an action movie, and I'm completely okay with that.

When that happens the AFC East is going to be like the NFC West in the late 2000s. Just a collection of dregs preparing to send a lamb to the slaughter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

i was really looking forward to the despair if belichick stayed on a year or two and jimmy g won the division and the hair-rendering of the rest of the afc east that their misery would never end

i didn't really care if it didn't ever end, just the mcmagicing was going to be fantastic

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

What did NE get for Jimmy G? Whatever it was, they probably should've kept him around. That's just showing an absurd amount of faith in your amazing but nearly elderly quarterback. Suddenly the 49ers look like spoilers and the whole team has life.

Then again for the 49ers probably the best place to go for a decent starting quarterback is a second string who is forced to play behind Brady.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Play posted:

What did NE get for Jimmy G? Whatever it was, they probably should've kept him around. That's just showing an absurd amount of faith in your amazing but nearly elderly quarterback. Suddenly the 49ers look like spoilers and the whole team has life.

Then again for the 49ers probably the best place to go for a decent starting quarterback is a second string who is forced to play behind Brady.

a couple deflated footballs

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Just so long as they pay Landry.

Landry has been super quiet. I hear he’s unwilling to give a discount, and he’s wanting 5/75. From us? Preferably but that’s his main goal - paid like a top 5.

That’s nuts to me. But drat I’d be lying if i didnt want him paid right now

Nov 6, 2002

Play posted:

A 2nd. They wanted a long term deal to keep Jimmy around while Brady finished up but Jimmy, understandably, wanted to be a real starter and wanted real starter money. So knowing they weren't going to be able to work out a long team deal after this season, and he'd be a free agent, they just traded him for what they could get at the deadline.

With every game Jimmy wins that pick gets worse.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 13, 2017

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jimmy will be tagged twice then go back to NE and play for 15mm a year after collecting $50mm from San Fran (and a 2nd round pick)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

Landry has been super quiet. I hear he’s unwilling to give a discount, and he’s wanting 5/75. From us? Preferably but that’s his main goal - paid like a top 5.

That’s nuts to me. But drat I’d be lying if i didnt want him paid right now

Seems about right to me. He's caught so many balls, is developing his ability to go deep, and doesn't get hurt.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

i see the Dolphins are doing their annual late season heroics thing to gently caress up their draft position

No, no, I see from the Andy Cohen that "Dolphins Now Right Back In It!" Sure, they have to win out, and other teams have to crap themselves, but this is it!

Of course, the same article says, "Adam Gase has been waiting all season to unleash Grant in the passing game..." Who comes up with crap like that?

The fins have looked good on play calling on offense and making fewer mental errors on defense the last two weeks. This is the team I thought they'd be this season. Fewer penalties, fewer missed assignments, and not quite so many passes of -2 to 2 yards.

538 has a good statistical look at the trend in the NFL towards passing at the line of scrimmage and how it sucks.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-quarterbacks-are-leaning-on-the-short-pass-and-its-not-working/

Nov 6, 2002

torgeaux posted:

No, no, I see from the Andy Cohen that "Dolphins Now Right Back In It!" Sure, they have to win out, and other teams have to crap themselves, but this is it!

Of course, the same article says, "Adam Gase has been waiting all season to unleash Grant in the passing game..." Who comes up with crap like that?

The fins have looked good on play calling on offense and making fewer mental errors on defense the last two weeks. This is the team I thought they'd be this season. Fewer penalties, fewer missed assignments, and not quite so many passes of -2 to 2 yards.

538 has a good statistical look at the trend in the NFL towards passing at the line of scrimmage and how it sucks.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-quarterbacks-are-leaning-on-the-short-pass-and-its-not-working/

My thoughts on MNF and the Dolphins: The Patriots didn't convert a single 3rd down, yet they still only lost by seven. A competent opponent would have put that game away.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

My thoughts on MNF and the Dolphins: The Patriots didn't convert a single 3rd down, yet they still only lost by seven. A competent opponent would have put that game away.

What? You don't buy the late season resurgence of the Mighty Fins?

Yeah, me neither. But, still, better play calling, better execution, so better team. Just not playoffs yet.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I like to think that Jay Cutler is cosmically bound to producing an 8-8 season, so decides to have fun with it losing to the Bucs but taking one back off the Pats.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Landry has been super quiet. I hear he’s unwilling to give a discount, and he’s wanting 5/75.

I think they gotta pay Landry. But if that's the price, with the cap room the Dolphins don't have, it won't happen. Well, they could drop Tannehill or Suh I guess, but now we're in fantasy land.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There’s a lot of ways to make it fit. Well have space.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m not arguing that the Dolphins are a competent team, but it shouldn’t have been that close. Grant dropped a TD and Julius Thomas dropped/didn’t come up with some long gainers. The game wasn’t as close as the score.

As far as the Dolphins playoff chances: The only real hurdle is beating the Chiefs at Arrowhead. They CAN beat the Nathan Peterman lead Bills (not to say they will) twice, and I would bet a lot of money Tennessee will be losing at least 2 out of their next 3) @San Fran, home for The Rams and Jaguars. The Titans kind of suck.

But we aren’t beating the Chiefs on the road so it’s all academic.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the Jay Cutler led Miami Dolphins beat the patriots in prime time

let us all have a contemplative moment of silence and really just let that marinade in our hearts and minds

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

the Jay Cutler led Miami Dolphins beat the patriots in prime time

let us all have a contemplative moment of silence and really just let that marinade in our hearts and minds

And yet, for the reasons above and the patriots general response after a loss, it will be essentially meaningless. Print the shirts.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
There’s a significant chance that Brady will retire with only @ Miami being under .500 for his career.

And that...... is the only thing I have to hang my hat on in the last 20 years.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TheBizzness posted:

There’s a significant chance that Brady will retire with only @ Miami being under .500 for his career.

And that...... is the only thing I have to hang my hat on in the last 20 years.

that's all I need tbh

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The funniest one is that he's 0-1 against the NFC Central in his career.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/941723121886924801

What a DOG.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just sit him for the last few games. It's pretty obvious he's not going to be on the team next year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Just sit him for the last few games. It's pretty obvious he's not going to be on the team next year.

It seems like thats what they are doing...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

that's all I need tbh

There was a time when the Patriots being under .500 to a team was the most meaningless thing imaginable.

Kalli posted:

:same:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I didn't think Garapolo was gonna be all that great but if the Patriots look like idiots for the next 15 years for trading him, I'm OK with that too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I didn't think Garapolo was gonna be all that great but if the Patriots look like idiots for the next 15 years for trading him, I'm OK with that too.

i wish him the best but between playing for jed york and the browns, he got the slightly better one of those two likely career-wrecking options

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Alpha Dog and future HOFer John Lynch swirlied Jed York and said he’s running the show now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So i'm sure the Jets are going to use keeping this game close, another game they should have won that they lost, as another reason to bring back Bowles.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Beating the patriots then immediately losing to the bills is vintage dolphins

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Beating the patriots then immediately losing to the bills is vintage dolphins

Jay Cutler is what we thought he was. I can't imagine how infuriating being a Bears fan was having to watch him season after season.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

Jay Cutler is what we thought he was. I can't imagine how infuriating being a Bears fan was having to watch him season after season.

He’s so bad holy hell

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cutler on hurry up was the most maddening sight. The play calling was designed to use as much clock for as little yardage as possible, too. Last week's offensive play calling was ditched. I think they figured that it was so successful people would expect it, so they went back to play calling that failed to fool everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Every outside run the Dolphins try is an immediate 3 yard loss AT BEST but that doesn’t stop Gase from trying them every other first down and just immediately killing the drive.

• Locked thread